Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 09:38:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: SW: J7 Reviewed on The Sonics Music

As promised here's my SW review on J7, thought I'd share it with you.

Steve Winwood returns with his strongest release since Back In The High Life
and why do I say this? Because this album is right on the mark. Simple. Vocals,
musicianship, material & production are primo. Winwood is marching right in
step to the latest (grooves...Black grooves that is) once again on his new
Junction Seven/Virgin release. Winwood is without a doubt a 'Soulman' and on
this album with tapping into the current R&B grooves with help from Narada
Michael Walden they got a winner. His remake of Sly Stone's "Family Affair"
is very very hip and outside of his own past written gems, this tune should
easily get him a 'hit'.  British R&B diva Des'ree turns in a knockout
performance with Winwood on "Plenty Lovin' " as they both share the lead
vocals, this is another choice at a single and should easily crack the R&B
charts. Winwood's guitar work (both rhythm & lead) are still in form and "Spy
In The House Of Love" shows that! Want a lil' Spanish Caribbean flavor? Well,
"Gotta Get Back To My Baby" is a KILLER DANCE CLUB tune! Where is
Carlos Santana! Yet...You will not moving! Among the others featured on this
album you'll find Ruby Turner & Lenny Kravitz (maybe he needs a gig?)
somewhere in the grooves also. GROOVE ON STEVIE!

Jay Siekierski

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Re: Winwood is everywhere!
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 18:54:11 +0200

I've been listening to a familiar music while the beautiful candidates to Miss
Italy 97 were catwalking on the telly the other day...."SPY IN THE HOUSE OF
LOVE"!!!!!! Steve is more and more involved with catwalks as time goes
by.......;-)

Ellie (who else????)

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Sherri2729@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 13:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Sam Winwood?

My question is, who is Sam Winwood?  Another brother, cousin, nephew? I
heard of him because coincidentally along with Muff Winwood, Sam Winwood
also works for Sony Records in the UK.  I figured because of that he must be a
relative. Please let me know.

Sherri

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 23:02:47 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: The Fates, Steve Winwood and me

It had to happen! Steve is coming to Pittsburgh on October 1st. The venue is
terrible; The A.J. Palumbo Center which is a local college's basketball court.
Acoustics are awful.

But, alas, I don't have to worry. Since it's Rosh Hashanah evening I won't be
able to attend. The Big Guy upstairs is mocking me, n'est-ce pas?

Arnie

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 23:31:19 -0500
Subject: Hall of Fame

Congratulations on the "Best of the Net" award. SP truly is a terrific site, and
getting better!  I hope that this award will bring more people to the site and to
the AOL chat, like the grocery store girl.  (That was really fun).   Maybe even
the "Big Guy" himself will do a cameo posting? Oh, now it doesn't hurt to
dream, does it? :)

Now, I have something sticking in my craw, (Something's Got a Hold of My
Toe?), and I just have to VENT...

Why the Hell has Steve not been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
yet?  What are they waiting for?  Who needs to have a fire lit under their butt?

He's certainly met their criteria for induction: Recorded more than 25 years ago
(SDG), has influenced musicians (who hasn't wanted to play with him?), is and
incredible musician, and is just the best thing since sliced bread (okay, I added
that last one).... But really, the BEE GEES are in and Steve ISN'T!?!?!?

I went to their website just to see it for my own eyes (www.rockhall.com), and
even tried to post to their inductees "wish list" as it were, but I just don't have
enough computer memory to even read all the postings.  What I could see was a
tremendous amount of postings about peoples' neglected favorites (ABBA?  Did
I read that right??)  But I was not able to see if anyone had said anything about
SW.  Anybody know?

Better yet, there has to be a more effective way to lobby for him to be inducted
than to post on their huge, inane board.  Maybe there is a way for us fans to put
some not-so-subtle e-mail pressure on the people who vote on inductees.
Wouldn't it just be a perfect 50th Birthday present, though?

Sorry if I offended any big ABBA or BEE GEE fans, but my mind is totally
blown by this!

[There is a link to the Inductees' Forum from the SP web-site, and once you get
there, scroll down to entry #239 and add your comments.  --BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 17:32:48 +1200
From: Murray Dreyer
Subject: Rainbow Concert

Last Weekend I dragged out my CD copy of Eric Clapton's Rainbow Concert
for a re-listen. It's a Album that doesn't get discussed much in SP.

The CD is far better than the old 12" LP because of the additional eight tracks
that were mysteriously left off the LP. Especially if you're a Winwood freak like
me.

SW's lead vocals on "Bell Bottom Blues" are clear and concise whilst his
backing and Lead vocals on "Tell the Truth" and "Let it Rain" give the the
songs a great feel. Like the  SW & EC duet on "Little Wing" they also duet on
"Bottle of Red Wine".

The presence of Capaldi, Ric Grech and Rebop along with SW's Vocals and
Keyboards make it a very enjoyable listen.

If you've only got the LP go and get the CD and if you've got the CD play it
again.

Regards
Murray D

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Fischler, Sol (NBC)"
Subject: More concerts!
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:55:00 -0400

Tickets for Stevie's next pass through New York go on sale tomorrow; he'll be
 at the Beacon Theater on Oct. 7.  A nice little theater,  and you get to sit down,
too.  (His last  gig at Irving Plaza was a SRO venue,  and for that reason my
wife declined,  and further, forbade me to go see SW without her.)  This time I
was able to convince her,  in spite of it being a "school night" and having to
deal with the kids and bedtime etc. etc.  (She's the practical one in the family).
By the way,  thanks to everyone who posted set lists from the other concerts this
summer, so I was able to allay her fears   "...but it's going to be all new stuff..."
Not so, sweetie.

I've also spent the summer kicking myself for getting sold out of John Fogerty's
first NY tour in what,  20 years or something like that.  But the gods smiled
and,  yes, he's back,  too.  After listening in pain to all the rave reviews,  I get
another chance.  I got on line well  early enough for his return to the
Manhattan Center next Thursday night.  Another SRO venue. What is it with
all these aging rockers forcing all their aging fans to stand  during their shows?
Anyway,  my wife again declined the SRO,  so I'm going to see it with  an
aging friend from my long-hair days.  But we won't be getting high before the
show. Maybe  a beer with dinner.  After all,  it IS a school night...

Enjoy.
 --  Sol

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:43:56 -0700
Subject: Rollright Stones

The guardians of these stones are attempting to preserve and protect the
Rollrights in their present unspoilt state and to maintain access for all who
respect this ancient and special site.

Please visit their website at http://www.rollrights.org.uk/  or use the link from
the Winwood Fans' Site - click on Fans' Photo Corner, and then click on
Rollright Stones.

Many thank to Dan for bringing this to our attention,

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 23:48:21 +0100
From: "."

A few films that have SW material in the sound track: Stake out, Someone to
watch over me and a film i only saw last night, Nick Knight starring Rick
Springfield the singer. The opening track was Don't you know what the night
can do. Steve's music is used on TV in the UK. While you see a chance for the
Wimbledon tennis championships, there was a TV documentary in the 80's that
used clips from Spanish dancer throughout. We have a soap in the UK called
Eastenders and they actually played Spy in the house the other night in Queen
Vic pub.

I have not read of any comments in SP of Steve's performance at the Sound and
Vision concert at Wembley. I went and thought the show was pretty good. The
best part for me was Steve's duet with Seal.

Has anyone commented on Steve's performance on the Internet?.

Regards
Patrick.