Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:10:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (jay siekierski)
Subject: SW: SONICS/VIRGIN call

The Sonics Music Site (Http://www.earthlink.net/~thesonics/) has a guestbook
call up on SW. Virgin Records views this site very frequently. So just sign in
with your SW comment and sign your name/state/country & fave SW related
song! See the SW related reviews up also & hit the exchange for SW & friends
rarities!

Thxs

From: "BobbieG."
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 1997 11:08:58 -0700
Subject: Two things

First, if you have a home page, please send me the URL and I will add a link to
you from the Subscribers' Home Pages site.

Second, someone once emailed that he was writing a history of the Traffic
symbol, but I cannot locate the email or remember who it was.  Neil? Dan?  I'm
sorry, you know how the mind goes when one ages!  But please email me
again.

Thanks,

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:34:20 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Second Thought On J7

An interview with SW I read about a month ago gave me a chance to think over
J7 again. He say that J7 is a pop/soul or sou/pop album and that he tried to
make a solo album which can be clearly distinguished from Traffic.

J7 does not seem so commercially successful as his past solo albums. I guess the
main reason for this is that J7 is not like what many people expected from SW.

Many of his works in the past sound very pop and soulful. But I wonder it was a
good decision for him to focus on that aspect particularly as a singer. I think so
far he only intended to make good records even when he was a member of
SDG, BF and Traffic.  However this time he had to make an album that does
*not* sound like Traffic, which must have been a big restriction - less powerful
rock drumming, simpler  chord progressions, less guitar and keyboard solos,
less  complicated instrumental parts, and less improvisations  etc, etc... As a
result, the album does not sound like Winwood himself, at least not so much
like what people know his music is, IMHO.

I think J7 is a transitional album for him as a solo.

Hisao Chida

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 09:47:52 -0700
Subject: Chatroom on AOL

A person came into the AOL chatroom on August 21 who said that SW comes
into the grocery story where she works, and she has 'checked him out'; that
means she's rung up his order and taken his money.  She informs us that he
prefers paper bags over plastic.

Hey, this is the kind of stuff that makes the chatroom so darned interesting.

For a log of the most recent AOL chat, and for a chance at live chat on the web,
check out the SP web-site.

From: "BobbieG."
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 13:27:20 -0700
Subject: Announcements from the official site

For those of you with no web-access, Scott Tribble had made the following
announcements on the official web-site:

Steve has agreed to make an appearance in "The Blues Brothers 2000,"
currently being filmed in Toronto. Steve  will appear in a bar-room jam scene
alongside fellow musicians B.B. King and Eric Clapton in this sequel to the
smash 1980 hit.

And, the liveconcerts.com broadcast will be archived on stevewinwood.com in
the next couple of days (which doesn't help you if you don't have web-access).

Hurrah!  Thanks, Scott,
Bobbie

[There is a link to a Blue Brothers site from the Reviews - Filmography section
of the SP web-site.  --BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:31:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Mulberry Bush CD

I got my "Mulberry Bush" CD directly from RPM, and  paid by credit card.
Their (UK) fax number is 01449 770133.

Mike.

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: ROCKSTAR - J7 review
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 22:07:42 +0200

I'm always keeping my eyes peeled as you see... I send you a translated review
of one of the most important Italian monthly music mags, ROCKSTAR:

Steve Winwood, Junction 7 - rate 6.5 out of 10

Mr. Fantasy has been onstage for 35 years now while Spencer Davis, Traffic
and Blind Faith passed through. J7 is his 7th solo work since 1977 and it's
really not very different from his previous efforts.  The usual blend of white
rock and black sounds, his unmistakable voice adding the final ingredient,
refined, maybe redundant arrangements. Thanks to the co-producer Narada
Michael Walden there is also a research into Latin sounds and atmospheres that
only renders the final result a bit aimless, and even names like Capaldi, Kravitz
and Walfredo Reyes can't succeed in making it more convincing. Mr Fantasy
seems to have run out of ideas, stubbornly stuck on a musical track that gave
him (and us) lots of satisfaction and rewards but that seems limited and tired
now. There are highlights and classy moments but the album is rather patchy.
It seems an apnoea effort, far from human ardent passions. And we can't really
forgive you THIS, Mr. Fantasy  (Maurizio Iorio)

SIGH...... :-(  Oh well, at least he shows respect for the Man!!

Yours truly,

From: jsantoro@sasipos.com (Jack Santoro)
Subject: RE: Spencer Davis Group new CD
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:07:49 -0400

I saw The Spencer Davis Group perform  at Hershey Park on August 31. I
thought I would never get the chance to see him perform LIVE. He and his
bandmates  put on a great show. The only compliant I had was it was only  a 35
minute set. It was strange to hear Spencer sing the songs that I hear so
frequently sung by SW. They did great versions of I'm a Man and Gimme Some
Lovin'.  He is completely the opposite of Steve Winwood when it comes to
being on stage. Spencer talked to the audience, told jokes, and gave us history
on the songs. All in all he was having fun and a good time. He was selling his
new CD at the show. I bought one and he signed it for me. There was a lot of
questions I wanted to ask him but I didn't a chance to talk to him except to say
thanks for the autograph. I felt sorry for the band because about 80 -90%
percent of the audience had no idea who he was and sat there like bumps on a
log. It would be nice to see the group do a full set in front of a appreciative
crowd.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the CD yet. I will let you know if it's any
good.

Here is the set list:

Keep On Running
Somebody Help Me
I'm a Man
Gimme Some Lovin'
Blood Runs Hot
Livin' on Tulsa Time (I think?)

Jack

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 23:00:31 -0400
From: classicrock.guide@miningco.com (Patty Williams)
Subject: Re: Steve Winwood Page

Bobbie,
Just wanted to let you know that I've linked to your page, "The Unreleased
Music of Traffic" on the main page of the Classic Rock Home Page under "Net
Finds."  It'll remain in that dubious place of honor for a week. :)

Patty Williams
Classic Rock Guide

[Congratulations to Dan Ropek (rropek@aol.com) who wrote that article.
Woo-woo!  You go, Dan! --BLG]

From: top5@lycos.com
Date: 4 Sep 1997 12:30:22 -0400
Subject: Congratulations! Lycos named your site among the TOP 5%!

Congratulations!  Your site:
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/winwood.htm
has been selected as one of the best sites on the Web by Lycos TOP 5%.

Lycos TOP 5% is the oldest and most prestigious Website directory.  Since
1994, our expert reviewers have scoured the Internet to select only the finest
sites.  Each site in TOP 5% includes a detailed review describing its editorial
and visual merits.

Your TOP 5% review will be posted within the next week.  If you are
unfamiliar with the Lycos TOP 5% directory, please check us out at:
http://point.lycos.com/categories/

Inclusion in TOP 5% will increase your exposure and attract new visitors to
your site: our reviews have been featured on CNN, and TOP 5% ratings are
provided to media around the world.

We invite you to display the prestigious "Lycos TOP 5%" icon, which is only
offered to sites included in the TOP 5% directory. Feel free to link the icon
back to our TOP 5% homepage so visitors can quickly locate our glowing
remarks about your site.

Thanks -- and again, congratulations!

Sincerely,
Tim Riley