Date: Sat, 9 Aug 1997 18:20:49 -0700 (PDT)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: SW & Friends Support Call!

Winwood & friends for sale. Mail me for list...Privately.

For Steve Winwood, Dave Mason, Traffic & Eric Clapton reviews see the
Sonics Music Site (linked from the mailing list page).

Please sign the Sonics guestbook supporting Steve Winwood & Friends since
Virgin, Mobile Fidelity & Polygram view my guestbook regularly. The Sonics
supports SW & Friends.  It's simple: In the comments box include your name,
state, country, favorite tune or LP.

Thxs
Jay

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 12:24:53 -0500
From: koki9@bellatlantic.net
Subject: stray comments on SP94

Re:  "."

>Re Old Gray whistle Test. This was a BBC rock programme that was
>shown during the 70's.  Jim Capaldi and his band did a gig on the
>programme and had a key board player dressed in a monks habit,
>you only once saw a brief shot of his face and yes it was Mr
>Winwood.

I wonder it is possible to get copies of video of things like this?  Wouldn't it be
great to have a video tape compilation available of rarities like that? I would
love to see a print of SDG playing in the movie, "The Ghost Goes Gear". And
am I the only one interested in seeing Linda McCartney's photos of Steve and
Traffic which weren't printed in her book of photos, "Linda McCartney's
Sixties"?

>[It certainly was a good video, but the director kept cutting
>away from SW, because he can't dance. ...  --BG]

Yes, it is strange that he seems a bit wooden (pardon the pun) when dancing,
especially since he obviously has so much rhythm and feeling in his playing.
That may account for why the Higher Love video employs shots of Steve
nuzzling "the undressing woman" and hiding behind Chaka Khan - to distract
from his "moves". (But, as dancing goes, this is REALLY the pot calling the
kettle black!)  LOL

Speaking of wooden, didn't Steve look a bit uncomfortable singing with Sheryl
Crow on the VH1 Honors show?  And BTW, does anyone know if it is true that
the pink (!) tour bus with the big cocktail on its side which Sheryl has been
touring in is actually Steve's old bus, as she reported on MTV? I thought that a
bit strange!

RE: "Elena Iglio"

>Wasn't ROLL WITH IT in the soundtrack of a film with Eric Idle
>dressed as a nun

At least they had the decency to use the song in a reasonable way.  There was a
fairly recent American bit of film drivel about an angel that gets stuck on
Earth, and a young man who spends the film trying to mend her wing, hide her
from Phoebe Cates (his fiance') and in the process falls in love with her.  They
used "Finer Things" in that soundtrack and the editor just BUTCHERED it.  It
was truly painful.

Looking forward to Winwoodie's post saying that SW is coming to the NY/NJ
region.

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:32:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: Steve Reviewed On The Sonics

Steve Winwood The Finer Things/Island/Chronicles

Fact: Steve Winwood has made some of the greatest Rock music spanning the
last 3 decades and though some have written him off for making music that was
embraced by the yuppie generation, it's not his fault. A man must make his
living! So here we have a lavish 4 CD set with a 48 page color book celebrating
his music. The Finer Things Island/Chronicles collects the best of his work
starting with the Spencer Davis Group '65 right through to his last solo
Refugees Of The Heart in '90. All the hits from Spencer Davis, Traffic and his
solo career are here (you know them) along with from Eric Clapton And The
Powerhouse (2 cuts recorded in '66) and the excellent experimental works with
Stomu Yamashta's Go (2 cuts from '76 &'78) and 1 cut from his '73
collaboration with Remi Kabaka and Adul Lasisi Amao. I wish that LP Aiye-
Keta would be finally issued. The collectors pieces, 2 unreleased Blind Faith
live recordings, from their '69 London Hyde Park debut show. "Sleeping In The
Ground" and the Stones "Under My Thumb" are raw! While the unreleased
electric version of "Can't Find My Way Home" is stunning! All 63 tunes are
Digitally Remastered and the book is highly informative.

Jay Siekierski

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 15:45:01 -0700
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Curiosity

There are some things that  i would like to Ask ?? first of all, what is this "Will
Powers" thing , and how come we did not know about this? I mean Steve is
involved in all the songs  (i guess) and we do not know anything about it ??
weird...

for that BMI site , all i can tell you is that, in an article Vivian Stanshall
mentions that he had written many other songs (actually he says 100's) Wow!!
with Steve,, so i guess that list includes some of those,,

As for another Traffic album, it would be great, but please no "Some kinda
Women", Every Night, Every Day" or " This Train won't stop" Oh,, sorry i
meant No  Winwood ,, But Traffic, i mean they are great songs , but you know,,

Finally why are people quiet about Junction 7's commercial status  I would
personally like to know the amount ??? sold at the moment,, what was/is the
situation of "Spy" and the album on Billboard..

Everybody take care  Berkin,,

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 21:47:20 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Low Spark meaning???

OK, it's been awhile since I've posted...but I've got a quick question.  (Someone
asked me this the other day and I had no idea what the answer was, and I knew
somebody here would, and this is probably a stupid question) What exactly does
"Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys" mean??

Thanks,
Andrea

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: "Put on your Dancing Shoes" Steve...
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 09:04:00 +0200

About SW's terpsichorean abilities, you're right, Bobbie...I've seen a video of a
Tokyo concert where our Man was kinda very "lively" and kept kind of dancing
and performing with the sunglasses on and looking very keen on that kind of
"call and response" thing with the audience(that responded quite well to be a
Japanese one..)and I went ROTFLMAO!!! He was kind of clumsy, but there are
musicians who aren't natural talents as for their stage presence. I think the fact
lies in Winwood's natural shyness and quiet nature, he wasn't born a Fred
Astaire or a Michael Jackson! I remember that Spencer Davis related that when
Winwood was 16 they kept putting his mike right in front of the screaming
girls in the first rows who wanted to cheer him before the shows, and when he
got onstage he regularly went there and put it back again where he felt safe!!
He mustn't have changed a great deal since then and in a way this endears him
more to me.

By the way, I went through the BMI listings too....and wanted to know
particularly about this Zing song all of Traffic seem to have composed way
back, along with a Pepsi Cola jingle!! Anybody remembering this?? Some of
the other "unknown" songs might probably never have shown up on record or
might have been performed with a different name in the end. I am a member
of Italian BMI and know these things can happen, you just register what you
write for copyright reasons, so that nobody who accidentally might have
"overheard" the songs can   copy it and say it's his own or so.

From: "Gary Ames"
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:10:38 +0000
Subject: Steve at Wembley Saturday

The bad news is I can't get to the show. The good news is that the BBC are
showing highlights on Saturday night. The show, as I am sure you know, is the
"oldies jam2 - Robert Palmer , Jon Bon Jovi , etc.

The even better news is that it looks as if the show will run for 2+ hours ,
according to my TV listings magazine. Songs still not announced , but I gather
there is an Elvis theme , with the last 6 songs being elvisy.  I'll be in touch
again once I've viewed.

Cheers!
gary

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:20:19 -0700
Subject: Radio concert tonight

There will be 2 Winwood concerts on the Tucson radio station KKHG- The
Hog (104.1 FM), tonight (Wednesday the 13th) at 10:30 pm.  The concerts are
the 1970 BBC Traffic concert, and a 1986 Winwood "Back in the High Life"
tour concert, from Veteran's Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio.  So get those tapes
rolling!

The program director at KKHG, Larry Sanders, has also expressed some
interest in interviewing me about SP and all you guys at some future date,
possibly in conjunction with the upcoming tour.  Ain't that weird?  Look, ma,
I'm famous!

From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:26:05 -0700
Subject: Hard Rock Collection

There is a question in the guest-book of my web-site which I can't answer.  Can
anyone help me out here?

"Saw a HardRock Collection on VH1 of Winwood. Will this live session be
released as an album?"

Thanks, guys,