Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 18:59:41 -0500
From: koki9@bellatlantic.net
Subject:  Re: J7 reactions

Thanks for the new SP installment.  I really agreed with your comments on J7!!
Upon first listen, I was rather sorely disappointed.  I guess I wanted grilled
chicken! (LOL @ your analogy.) But, as someone posted on the "official" page
within the last month, there are always so many subtle little voice inflections,
instrument passages and chord progressions, that even the "lesser" songs began
to grow on me (except the sentimentally covered "Family Affair").  I
particularly like "Plenty Lovin'" and "Angel". "Gotta Get Back.." was a little
disconcerting on the first listen, sort of a Caribbean beach hut in the middle of
a neighborhood of English Tudors, but I now I can't stop humming it.

However, J7 just reinforced a nagging feeling:  For the last couple of solo
albums, I've found myself thinking that all of the programmed drums,
percussion and horns sounded a little lifeless.  I'm not a musician, so I can't
even attempt to be specific about what feels "wrong".   It just makes me more
anxious for another Traffic project, with perhaps, dare I say it, REAL drums
played by JIM!  And I can't help it, but the slickness just makes me yearn for
Chris Wood and his Coke can and sleigh bell type of whimsy. (Sigh)

Still, really hope to see SW play live when he comes around in the fall. As he
has proven on other tours, and as many of the subscribers have testified,
without all the studio glop, you can really see (or hear, rather) why he is still
the best.

Ooops, just toppled off of the soap box :-)  Time to quit while I'm ahead.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:43:28 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Capaldi review Part #2

I bet most of you wre waiting for this one,,

ELECTRIC NIGHTS!===1979. A very underproduced album, "tabitha " is a
cool song for his daughter, there is one song titled "Time" , but the lyrics go
"Time is running out", around the same time too, and has the same groovy
tempo as well, i know you are not going to believe this but on the song "Wild
Dogs" there is a name entitled  PETER COX on back vox,, it sounds like him
too, the main man of GO WEST, who happens to be a Traffic fan , what a
group that was, wonder what they are doing now????,,, our man Rosko is on
Bass.  And Jimmy 'I am a Man' Miller produced 2 of the tracks, it sounds like
a rushed album, but still Capaldi..

FIERCE HEART!===  can be labeled as a Winwood album, must have it is the
phrase for all of us,, very good album, sounds like ARC or TALKING BACK
stuff, but no one man playing all, best  track is "Bad Breaks" for me, with great
back vox by steve, Van Morrison is also on one track with his Acoustic.  At the
very end of the sleeve notes there goes a sentence as such, leaving the
interpretation to all of you!!!  "This album is dedicated to the memory of
REEBOP KWAKU BAAH , a master drummer.. (I am crying)."

ONE MAN MISSION!===1984,  it sounds like the albums of Survivor, or
Toto, or van Halen , i mean not all the songs but sounds like Glam Rock,
essentially it was 1984,, so i guess it is normal, but one distinguishing factor is
Carlos Santana, contributed on 2 songs as a musician and as a composer,
"Tonight" is a real cool song, and "Young savages" is excellent, no winwood ,,
but snowy white is among the musicians as well,,

well that is it for the Capaldi's i have got ,,, if any more Q's please do ask,,,

Berkin,,,,

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 08:26:14 -0700
Subject: Found in a newsgroup

I found the following in a hendrix newsgroup, and thought you might be
interested. --

Subject:      Ladyland Revelations
From:         [snip]
Date:         1997/07/06
Newsgroups:   alt.music.jimi.hendrix

Here and now, I pose that Jimi wrote "Crosstown Traffic" for Steve Winwood.
Listen: "With you, I can see a Traffic jam, straight up ahead," followed directly
by "Voodoo Chile," a Traffic jam of sorts. No need to thank me, I'm tickled
rosy as it is.

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:03:01 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Other Session Works

I found a list of Steve's session works on a Japanese music magazine which
included an interview with him and NMW, a part of which I posted before. I
compared the list with those on the Official Site and Bobbie's page and found
these two are not the web pages:

Rick Grech: The Last Five Years (1973)
Rebop: Melodies In A Jungle Man's Head (1992)

I don't know if they are correct. Any ideas?

Last  year I met a guy whose recording session Steve joined long ago. It's Ian
McDonald. He toured Japan as a support member of his friend Steve Hackett, a
former guitarist of Genesis.McDonald performed two King Crimson's classics -
The Court Of The Crimson King and I Talk To The Wind.

Hisao Chida

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 05:33:00 -0700
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Re: Winwood is everywhere?

Well , yes he is everywhere, heard "Plenty of Lovin" about 5 times a today on
Power FM, i guess this will be the second single from the album, the song is all
over the place.

Also, somehow, some people from a local radio station found me (since I
usually keep my winwood identity secret) and they would like to do a radio
program on Steve, and i will also air live with them, at first I refrained a little,
but then accepted,, so i will tell you guys and gals what we will play later on, (if
any suggestions , please do so)

you people have to know that we get a lot of winwood here as well, hard to
believe but i always hear Steve at odd places or at places where it is out of
question to hear winwood , it does happen,,

another Traffic would be cool, berkin

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 12:12:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: Christian B Mitchell
Subject: First post/Introduction

Hello to all on this mailing list. I am primarily a jazz listener but I have
enjoyed many Traffic albums and most of SW's solo work. As a sort of
introduction, here are my "favorite" lists:

TRAFFIC: Empty Pages, Low Spark, Glad, Rainmaker, Shoot Out at the
Fantasy Factory, Pearly Queen, Medicated Goo, Mozambique, Dream Gerrard,
and Tragic Magic.

WINWOOD: Night Train, Spanish Dancer, Freedom Overspill, Split Decision,
In The Light Of Day

I would have included "Roll Right Stones" on the Traffic list, but it loses points
for being too long (or at least not very interesting in the "jam" sections).
However, the song itself, esp. the chorus, is great.

My only live experience w/ Winwood was when Traffic came to Knoxville in
'94; it was maybe the most enjoyable rock concert I'd ever seen. Third row, with
Steve and everyone putting on a great performance. It was in a smallish
auditorium here, so whatever the other reviews of Traffic shows said, this night
was on fire. "Pearly Queen" was a perfect opener, and "Mozambique" about
brought the house down. The end of "Rainmaker" was fantastic. Rosco Gee was
The Man throughout. I should stop going on about it, but it's hard not to
reminisce about such a good show.

After looking thru about 25 back issues yesterday, I didn't notice any talk of
future Traffic projects, except the Steve has the option to do so. I realize that
he's on his own tour now, but has anyone heard anything concrete about a
future for Winwood/Capaldi/Gee?

chris

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: pakopako@juno.com
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 17:50:24 -0500
Subject: Stevie and the movies

"Wouldn't it be fun to see Steve let his hair down and sing "I'm a Man" to Big
Bird?"

Yes, but by far the coolest thing that could ever be done, in the tradition of the
Bowie/Jagger "Dancing in the Streets" of the 1980's would be Steve and David
doing a duet of "Low Spark".

"Also, does anyone else think "Gotta Get Back to My Baby" sounds like David
Johanssen meets Vince Guaraldi?  (Oh, yes, you know Vince, he did all the
"Peanuts" TV specials. And David did "Hot, Hot, Hot".)"

Is it just me or is "Roll With It" ending up in the closing credits of more and
more movies?  I can't seem to walk into a Suncoast without hearing it.  Not that
that is a bad thing, but I think "Gotta Get Back To My Baby" will go along the
same lines.  It is the perfect credit song.

Have any other songs besides "Gimme Some Lovin'" (Oh, Iron Eagle, such
fun!) and "Roll With It" from Steve appeared in any movies of note?  I can't
seem to think of too many more.

Eric

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 00:15:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Winwood on LiveConcerts

Looks like LiveConcerts is presenting a new concert from SW on Sunday Aug
24th at 3:30 Pacific Time.  Guest appearances by Lenny Kravitz, Nile Rogers &
Des'ree. Check out http://www.liveconcerts.com.

Craig Loudon

---------------------
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 15:13:03 -0700
Subject: Another Concert date

I see on the Ticketmaster site that another venue has been announced: Florida
Theater in Jacksonville, on September 23. There's a link to Ticketmaster on the
Links page.

Date: Sat, 02 Aug 1997 01:36:12 -0700
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Traffic unplugged dreamset and the concert thing

Well  i was thinking of a Traffic unplugged set, and thought it would be great ,
i prepared a list (in order of appearance) it became something of a good one...

1) Dealer
2) Medicated Goo
3) Evening Blue
4) Mr.Fantasy
5) Hidden Treasure
6) Paper Sun
7 Wwalking in the Wind
8) 40.000 Headmen
9) Low Spark
10) Rock & Roll Stew
11) State of Grace
12) Empty pages
13) No time to live
14) Memories of a Rock & Roller

This sounds good, but then you feel sad since there are other great songs , well
anyway , also Power FM in Turkey is going to air the August 16th show from
the Wembley Arena LIVE , which essentially includes Steve , wanted to let you
know about that    everybody take care....Berkin..