From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:06:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Eternal Classics...

<<  I only meant they are ABSOLUTELY on every live tape/record I heard
from Traffic and Steve (not to mention the covers.... >>

I haven't heard that many versions of PQ but absolutely agree that as the final
encore GSL is used and abused. If it should be in Steve's set, and it probably
HAS to be, he should move it around and give some other songs final encore
status.

I agree with you on that point, dear.

Arnie

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:06:19 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Fwd: [AVALON] Dance with Life

>From AVALON, the Roxy Music mailing list:

In a message dated 97-07-14 10:59:13 EDT, Gxh$lib@qc1.qc.edu (Graham
Howard) writes:

<< > I have a pet theory as to why this wasn't released. I will state upfront
 > that I have nothing more to base this on than a gut feeling and an
 > enormous amount of cynicism regarding the recording industry and some of
 > it's bigger "stars". I think it was pre-determined through record
 > company politics that Eric Clapton (whose last decent work was 25 years
 > ago, IMHO. "Layla Lite", indeed) was the one who was supposed to have
 > the hit song from the movie, and they wanted to make sure there was no
 > competition by burying Bryan's song. Thus no single release in the US or
 > UK. Too bad, as it is a far superior song. I am not even all THAT
 > partial to the song, but Bryan DOES turn a great performance, and i
 > always wanted to hear him work with Trevor Horn, even if it is on
 > someone elses song.

 I'm sure your right Erik - it was a conspiracy!

 Picking up on your comment on Clapton not doing anything decent in twenty
five years, I agree.  Clapton was brilliant with the Yardbirds, John Malyall and
Cream.  Most of the stuff he has done since then has been so BLAND.
Anything example of this is Stevie Winwood.  Think of his brilliant work with
Traffic and compare it with the solo stuff hes been doing over the past few
years; so BLAND.  In contrast, BF has done consistantly interesting things
from 73 right through to Mamouna.

 Graham.

---------------------
I'm sure your right Erik - it was a conspiracy!

Picking up on your comment on Clapton not doing anything decent in
twenty five years, I agree.  Clapton was brilliant with the
Yardbirds, John Mayall and Cream.  Most of the stuff he has done
since then has been so BLAND.  Anything example of this is Stevie
Winwood.  Think of his brilliant work with Traffic and compare it
with the solo stuff hes been doing over the past few years; so
BLAND.  In contrast, BF has done consistently interesting things
from 73 right through to Mamouna.

Graham.>

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Different perceptions....
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 07:28:52 +0200

Keith:

from your #90 mail I got the impression that:

a) Having seen Steve 10 times already, your attention was concentrated more
on the people around you than his actual performance, or have you paid
attention to his music just during Low Spark??

b) You have been watching the concert in the middle of Zucchero Fan Club
members. It is clear a part of the audience was there to see Zucchero, after all
he was the home but it was a real treat to hear him booed and booed and read
the POOR reviews of his concert. There might have been jerks who were there
just to show they've got a mobile phone - in a crowd of 12,000 people there is
every sort, but there were older buffs like yours truly and especially people in
their teens and twenties who sang along J7 songs and this was really good to
see to me.

c) I was in very front rows, I can assure Steve was really into the night and
WITH the audience, and having seen him passing backstage afterwards, I can
tell you he looked really happy with the gig!!!

It must be really true, perceptions are individual and so people's attitudes
towards events....

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 09:28:56 +0200
From: "Taguchi, Makiko (AGPC)"
Subject: RE: Songs not played

As Ellie mentioned I do enjoy listening to "Gimme..." live, but there  are so
many other songs I'd love to hear Steve perform live.  Somehow my favorite
songs from each of Steve's solo albums never get  to be played live. "There's a
River" would be a great one! I wish Steve would do a small club kind of act just
playing songs he usually doesn't play in his usual tour. From J7, my favorites
are "Real Love" and "Someone Like You".

Makiko

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 18:44:57 -0400
From: Ed
Subject: Petitioning Island, and J7 reaction

What's the chances of getting a list of names to petition Island records to
release material from Last Exit and Canteen. Both of these shows had to be
recorded in their entirety. I would imagine they may be interested in releasing
the concerts as long as they see a commercial viability. I would love to hear
Traffics version of Look at you, Look at me, by Mason. Maybe we can do
something to make these people aware that there is an interest in releasing
previously unheard material.

OK after listening to J7, I do find some things I like, especially Angel of
Mercy, I love the way Winwood uses his voice as an instrument sometimes just
the way he enunciates the lyrics is so unique. My 10 year  old loves Family
Affair. I just can't help missing some of those Winwood  transport you to
another dimension moments i.e. the segue between Glad and Freedom Rider,
etc. Even other solo albums offer more musicianship with a greater focus on
playing! I probably would like almost anything he does if I listened long
enough, but J7 in general leaves me underwhelmed.

That being said why do so many critics relish trashing Winwood? I can't
believe some of the bad press he gets. (I'm not talking about just J7 reviews)

Finally , do you have any idea what Steve's hobbies are. Does he play golf?
shoot pool ? smoke cigars? enjoy a good glass of red burgundy? just curious.

Guy

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 23:04:07 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Winwood is everywhere

YES WINWOOD DOES SEEM TO BE EVERYWHERE

I agree with Arnie in his post a couple of SP's ago that Winwood seems to be
everywhere lately.  I was in a restaurant eating breakfast this weekend and
their music service is playing "Roll With It".  Then I'm eating pizza at my
fave restaurant and their music service is playing "Spy In the House".  KLOS
has finally started playing "Spy" al ot.  That may have been in response to
our letters to the station.  The DSS satellite music channel that has been
playing a lot of "Spy" has just started playing "Plenty Lovin".  Not to
mention the oldies station that usually plays "Gimme Some Lovin".  It looks
like the media is re-discovering the talent that we always knew was there.

Craig

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:12:00 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Another Interview with SW

I found another interview with SW on a music magazine published in Japanese.
The interview was conducted late last year at his own studio. SW's and NMW's
words cleared the questioned I had about J7.

SW: " I regard this album as a 'pop/soul' album or a 'soul/pop' album, which
you can choose whichever you like. These aspects are not essentially in the
Traffic music at all. That's the definitive difference. By making this
album, I found the two completely different directions - my solo works and
Traffic works. In some of the recent solo works, the two were mixed up. So my
previous solo album 'Refugees Of The Heart" sounded a bit like Traffic and the
next Traffic album was a bit like my solo album. In the meaning, I wanted to
make an album which can be clearly distinguished from Traffic."

I am still wondering why he reunioned Traffic for the first time in twenty years
(I heard he hated the record company's idea to sing a duet with Michael
Jackson, etc. Am I correct?) but now I understand why J7 sounds so different
from Refugees and the next Traffic will be such a R&R album as I expect.
It's a great relief to know that J7 is another start of SW as a solo artist which is
distinct from Traffic. There is no wonder why he employed NMW as a co-
producer, a very talented, successful producer/drummer/singer/songwriter who
has such a variety of fields in music as SW wants to work with.

NMW: "I am very conscious of making hit records. I like Steve's song
played on the radio hour after hour and I tried to make that kind of record."

He intended to make a hit or commercial record and the album sounds as such.

 Hisao Chida