From: "BobbieG."
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 09:58:37 -0700
Subject: Two new areas on the web-site

I wish to draw everyone's attention to two new areas on the unofficial web-site.

One is the Album Release Information Listings by Jan Inge Sommersmeth.
The URL is  http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/discog.htm

The other is Hidden Treasure: the Unreleased Music of Traffic
by Dan Ropek.  The URL is  http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/hidden.htm

Either can be reached by a link from the main page referenced at the top of
each SP.  Please visit these site asap, and let Jan, Dan, and myself know of any
additions, corrections, or comments.

Thanks!

Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 13:10:30 -0500 (CDT)
From: vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Shannon Van Kirk)
Subject: Concert on ABC this Saturday

My TV guide shows this for Saturday night:

11 p.m. Central (Midnight Eastern) on ABC
Independence Day Concert (It might be listed as "ABC late night
entertainment" in some TV or cable-guides)

Highlights from the Glastonbury Festival in England include performances by
Beck, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Sheryl Crow, Sting and Steve
Winwood.

1 1/2 hours

This is a good summer so far for SW fans.

--Shannon

[Uh-oh, Shannon, see below, "SW in Glastonbury".  --BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 20:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: "Rob Hall"
Subject: Holy Ground--great timing

 Today I was out driving, exploring my new home (Colorado Springs, Co), and
driving in Cheyenne Mountain park up a long, winding road that climbs from
about 6000 to 8500 feet in few miles, winding among the fir trees, canyons, and
waterfalls.  Since the cassette deck in my Mustang is broken, I was listening to
a local 'classic rock' station when 'Holy Ground' came on-- what a perfect
synchronicity of music and locale !!!

 For me, 'Holy Ground' has long been my favorite song off of 'Far From Home'
(which is also a very appropriate song for me right now, as I moved to
Colorado from my home of Ann Arbor, MI, two weeks ago...

Robert Hall
Rob.Hall@mci.com

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 21:40:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Review of J7 from something called "Rock N Roll Reporter"

"Do you remember how great Steve Winwood used to be? Next question: What
happened? Junction Seven is dry, uninteresting, and it sounds like a joke with a
punchline that you can figure out after the first sentence.

One problem is the fact that almost every song has far too much percussion,
giving the backing a cheap, gauche, Las Vegas feel. The second problem comes
from Winwood's lackluster vocal performance. He doesn't sing these songs, he
gets them over with. The frantic-teenager-in-heat of 'Gimme Some Lovin'" has
grown up into a boring celibate old man."

Well, I didn't write it, I just transcribed it.

I had a couple of experiences in the last two weeks involving SW that I want
to share. I remember that when John Lennon died, one of his obituaries talked
about how widespread his influence was and said something like his presence
was everywhere. Well, he luckily he's still with us and I think the same thing's
true about Steve.

I was in Nashville attending a convention about 10 days ago. It was 3:30 in the
morning and I was wasted and driving back to my hotel when the station I was
listening to played at least 3 SW tunes in a row. It was either a "block party"
(you know, a block of songs by an artist) or a special half-hour devoted to the
works of the man. But what really drove it home for me was that just a couple
of hours earlier at the dinner/dance, just to get everybody up and rushing to the
dance floor the band played, (what else?), "Gimme Some Lovin'".

Some items are classics and this is especially true of "Gimme Some Lovin'"
Anybody wanna bet that there's a dance band in the country that DOESN'T
have this in its repertoire?

Then, yesterday, strolling the aisles at K-Mart what comes on but "Back In the
High Life"? His presence is universal or so it seems.  Too bad it seems as if this
latest release will not add to the canon.

Arnie

[Yeah, but Arnie, "celibate"??  Steve and Genia have 4 kids!  (So far.)  -
-BG]

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 09:24:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: SW in Glastonbury

Steve didn't make Glastonbury - He had a "bit of a throat" according to Jools
Holland who compered the BBCTV late-night round-up of the festival.

Mike.

From: "Gary Ames"
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 20:31:01 +0000
Subject: Steve at Glastonbury

Sat by my radio like a lovesick teenager , waiting for Steve at Glastonbury ,
only to hear that he wasn't playing on the Sunday as he was ill.  I haven't been
able to find out anything else - he doesn't strike me as the sort who would feign
illness , even to get out of the mudbath  that was Glastonbury this year - I do
hope it's only a 24 hour thing
Gary

[A friend in England reports to me that SW has laryngitis.  --BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 19:07:57 -0500
From: srseim@students.wisc.edu (Steven Robert Seim)
Subject: Reply to Ellie

Thanks for the reply.  Your points are well taken.  Perhaps I overstated my
case a bit.  I did not mean to imply that either Chris in Traffic or George in the
Beatles were irrelevant.  Certainly Traffic or the Beatles wouldn't have been the
same without them.  However, I do think that Traffic would not have even been
remotely the same without Steve Winwood.  And as far as Steve's statements,
he may have simply been gracious and humble.  Do you think Steve would
actually say, "Yes, of course, I was the most important member of the group" ?

Finally, regarding 1994 Traffic, you may be right that it was intended as a type
of tribute.  But the point I wanted to make was that they could have come much
closer to the original Traffic sound if they had wanted to, especially on the
album.  I don't think any band's music can have the same sound as music of the
late 60's/early 70's, but bands do live on and continue making good music, even
with important original members gone.

From: "Fischler, Sol (NBC)"
Subject: BBC Radio Concerts
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 10:18:00 -0400

You know you've got too much time on your hands when...

A number of years ago I was in the habit of setting the timer on my VHS and
taping the late BBC Radio Concerts -- I could record more than 45 minutes,
the quality was better,  and I didn't have to stay up to turn on the cassette deck.
Last week I pulled out a Traffic VHS and transferred the concert to DAT.  The
announcer said it was Traffic from the Hammersmith Odeon,  didn't give a
year,  and said it was Winwood,  Wood,  and Capaldi.  The first few numbers
sounded like late '60's live Traffic -- to my ear a more stark sound,  tinnier,
heavy on Capaldi's cymbals,  etc.  After a commercial break or two,  though,
there was  Shootout and Low Spark, with a much more highly produced sound.
In fact,  a really really familiar sound.

Well,  I loaded the radio concert into my fancy-shmancy sound editing
machine,  and I loaded in Low Spark from "On the Road".  I spent a couple of
hours lining everything up, and,  sure enough,  included in this "live radio
broadcast" was that exact album cut.  But it wasn't good enough just to spin the
album.  No,  they had to cut it down from the original 17-plus minutes to a
mere 10-and-change.  Lost the whole last verse and much of Chris' sax work
(sorry,  Ellie...)

Similarly,  Shootout has a REAL familiar ring to it,  but instead of doing the
 detective work,  I'm just going to assume it's from On the Road.    ...No need to
waste my  time.

What a bringdown.  Rare concerts from the archives indeed.

I need a different hobby...

-- Sol

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 23:51:35 +0100
From: "."
Subject: Shepherds Bush Empire.

Just a few lines regarding the show on the 25th June at the Shepherds Bush
Empire.  Pouring with rain, so went in early to have a few drinks and look at
the program. No programs, no Tee shirts, NOTHING. The band came on at 9
pm and played for about two hours. As Steve says "some old ones and some
new ones" And then he introduces Jim Capaldi for John Barleycorn. JC comes
back on for Gimme some lovin'. A FANTASTIC NIGHT.
                                    Patrick.> [Virgin Net]

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 20:32:25 -0700
Subject: Getting "Spy" on the play list

If you are concerned that "Spy" is not being played on your favorite radio
station, please consider phoning them and asking for it!

And even better, write them!  And send a copy to

Head of Promotions
Virgin Records
338 North Foothill Rd
Beverly Hills  CA  90210