From: Scott Tribble
Subject: FW: interview steve winwood
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 13:51:27 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From:	mark coenen [SMTP:stubru@brtn.be]
Sent:	Thursday, June 19, 1997 8:54 AM
To:	webmaster@stevewinwood.com
Subject:	interview steve winwood

hi,
I'm a radio producer for studio Brussels, Belgium's rock station with an
audience of approx. 500,000.  On Saturday June 21 I'll have the honour to
interview Steve Winwood for my station. My question is: is there someone out
there who has an urgent question for him? I'll gladly pass the message.

Kind regards,

mark coenen

[=======READ THIS!!! =======
If you would like to pose a question to SW, do NOT reply to this email.  That
will send your message to me, and I won't see it till Monday, because I'm going
out of town for the weekend.  If you would like to send a question, send it to
one of the following people:
stubru@brtn.be
mark.coenen@brtn.be
webmaster@stevewinwood.com
stribble@husc.harvard.edu

Okay?  Don't click on the Reply button!!  Send a new email.  --BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 10:33:55 -0500
Subject: Unexpected picture of SW

Where would you least expect to come across a picture of Steve Winwood? How
about in your industry's high-tech trade publication?  In the June 16 issue of
Multichannel News (devoted to the cable TV industry) is a photo titled SAVE
THE MUSIC, with the caption: "The Fourth Annual VH1 Honors, held in
April, raised over $200,000 for music education through its Save the Music
initiative, which includes a musical-instrument drive and a fund-raising effort
to restore and sustain public school music programs. Pictured at the
presentation of a $75,000 check for the purchase of instruments for schools in
Los Angeles are John Sykes, president of VH1; and Dan Issacs, assistant
superintendent, school operations for the Los Angeles United School District.
In the background are performers Sheryl Crow, Levon Helm [who is giving
Sheryl a warm hug], Emmylou Harris, Damon Wayans, James Taylor, Steve
Winwood, Rita Wilson, Andy Garcia, the Williams Brothers, Narada Michael
Walden, Nile Rodgers [next to and a huge contrast to Steve, with his braids,
shades and goofy-looking grin] and Jakob Dylan."  As a former newspaper
copy-editor, I'd say it was a bit sloppy of the caption writer not to mention that
all these stellar musicians had played at a concert to raise the money!

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: jsantoro@sasipos.com (Jack Santoro)
Subject: Bootleg site
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 14:33:54 -0400

I was checking out your Bootleg page and it stirred up some great memories of
the 1994 Traffic Concert I went to see at the Mann Music Center in
Philadelphia. It was by far the best SW live performance I have seen to date. I
brought my older brother to the concert because my wife did not want to leave
our newborn son Justin. My brother is not a big fan of SW or Traffic, but even
he was blown away by the way SW, JC and the band sounded. After hearing
everyone's reactions to the concerts in NY and LA I'm kicking myself for not
going to see SW at Irving Plaza. I only hope I get to see him perform in a small
venue when he comes to Philadelphia. Sorry, I am rambling on , I wanted to
ask where I might be able to get the Traffic: "Woodstock II" Saugerties, NY;
1994 bootleg.

Jack

[This gives me a chance to talk about the bootleg site a bit.  I have renamed it
"Tapes in Circulation" (the word 'bootleg' has such a connotation of money-
changing-hands, and for most of the tapes in the list, that's not the case) and
added a lot, having received permission from a friend to include his collection,
as long as I do NOT credit him.  The site can be accessed from the unofficial
web-site URL included at the top of every SP.  --BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: PBookstein@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 18:42:44 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Lenny Kravitz at Irving Plaza

Just like to say, since your SW experience is making me jealous, that the Friday
show at Irving plaza was exactly the same except he changed the order to allow
Lenny Kravitz to join him on stage for Let Your Love Come Down.  It was
funny, Lenny was to the right of the lead guitarist who couldn't stop laughing
because Lenny's hair kept going into his face.  Lenny broke a string when the
songs tarted so they started over.  LK  and SW jammed so the performance of
the song was a little better.  All in all the concert was just as good as Thursday.
BUT I DIDN'T MEET STEVIE.

Congrads PerryB

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
from: Yukif
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 08:30:28 EDT
Subject: Who are the musicians currently with SW?

I would like to know who's touring with Steve now? I'm curious. Would you
please let me know if you remember back up musician's name? (guitarist,
bassist, and drummer...) I wonder if any famous player in the band?
Thanks in advance

Yukiko

[All I know for sure is Mike McEvoy and Randall Bramblett.  Anyone?  --BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 12:03:01 -0500
From: srseim@students.wisc.edu (Steven Robert Seim)
Subject: Re: Traffic

I know this is quite a digression from our current J7 obsession, but I'd like to
make a quick reply to a few general comments I've read regarding Traffic:

1.  General comment:  Chris Wood was the most important member of Traffic.
Traffic couldn't be Traffic without him.

        IMO, this is like saying George was the most important member of the
Beatles.  Lennon and McCartney were the crucial Beatles, because they wrote
the vast majority of the songs.  Likewise, Winwood and Capaldi were the
crucial members of Traffic, because they wrote the vast majority of the songs.
Furthermore, with SW handling lead vocals and most of the lead instruments, I
don't understand how anyone can deny that he was indeed the most important
member of Traffic.  Chris Wood added an important sound to the mix, but let's
be realistic.

2.  General comment:  Any attempt to revive Traffic is doomed to fail.  Too
much time has passed to get that sound back again.

        IMO, the reason Far From Home didn't sound like John Barleycorn et. al.
(although let me state that I did like Far From Home) is not because too much
time had passed but because it was created as another SW solo album (SW
playing almost all instruments, etc.).  Traffic was a band; Far From Home was
not.  If SW had used the band he toured with to record the album, it probably
would have come a lot closer to original Traffic.  Furthermore, the Stones, the
Allman Bros., Boston, Fleetwood Mac, etc. are still making music together
after 20-30 years.  Of course it doesn't sound exactly the same, but it's still their
sound.

Steve Seim

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 14:13:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: New SW fan

My boyfriend and I were sitting up one night talking about music and I
mentioned that I loved Steve Winwood and he was like "I don't have any of his
stuff."  So, I figured that I'd gradually introduce him to Steve's music.
One day, he came over and I was wearing my Far From Home shirt (we won't
get
into how worn that shirt is. :-)) and he was like, "You saw Traffic?"
"Yeah"
"When were they here?"
"1994.  Do you have any of their records?"
"One...I think it's called On The Road or something like that, but I never
listen to it."
"I guess not, cause you told me that you didn't have any Steve Winwood..."
"That's Steve Winwood?!?!?!"
OK, I've got a lot of work to do. :-)
I get a call from him one day and he was like, "Guess what I found?"
"What?"
"A Steve Winwood record!"
I'm sitting there thinking that it has to be "Arc Of A Diver", right?  "Which
one is it?"
"I don't know, but it has "Roll With It" on it."
"That's the album, "Roll With It.'"
So, I'm praying that he doesn't sit down and listen to it right?  I mean,
it's not a bad album, but there are other Steve Winwood albums that are much
better that I wanted him to hear first.  And he didn't.
Somehow one day, we started talking about "Gimme Some Lovin'"  and he was
like "Who's that by?"
OK, I can't take it anymore...I've got to fix this.  So, I lent him "The
Finer Things", figuring that he's probably going to hate it, cause all of my
other friends hated it.
The next day, I get home from a long night of work and I get a phone call...
"I got through the first CD   Awesome"
"You really liked the Winwood set...well, the first disc?"
"So far so good, that Spencer Davis stuff was awesome.  Traffic was pretty
good too, so far"
So, to summarize other conversations here...he loved the previously
unreleased Blind Faith stuff (he's a huge Clapton fan) and he liked all the
Traffic stuff...actually, he liked it all.  I was talking to him on the phone
as he listened to disc four and every now and then, he'd be like, "Oh,
wow...I know this song!  I didn't realize that this was Steve Winwood."
Now, I'm just waiting to get "The Finer Things" back...I think I might have
lost it forever. :-)

andrea

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Gary Ames"
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 21:29:30 +0000
Subject: New email address

I wrote a while ago , to give details of my new email address and then gave the
old one!!I am now at garyames@netcomuk.co.ukIf you would like to see my
latest trade list , or fancy another trade , please shout!

Cheers!
gary

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 20:21:25 -0700
Subject: Reviews and Picture on the Web

If you really really promise not to get too angry, you can check
out reviews of J7 on the Web:

http://www.canoe.ca/JamAlbumsR2Z/winwood_s_junction.html

http://musiccentral.msn.com/WeeklyReviews/Review/3118/0

http://www.mrshowbiz.com/reviews/musicreviews/music/stevewinwood.
html

And here's a good one, if you can believe THAT:
http://imusic.com/showcase/contemporary/swinw.html

I added these 4 to the Links page of the web-site, so don't worry if you lose the
URLs.  Have fun, take your blood pressure medication.

Also -- I uploaded the pic of Jeanie, Craig, SW, and me; you can go look at it at
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/picture.htm  and both Craig and myself
wish we'd combed our hair first.

From: "ken gay"
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 07:55:37 -7
Subject: First heard Traffic

I first heard Traffic in 1977, freshman in college ...Traffic was integral to the
mellower side of the party scene.  They imprinted strongly on my early
development. I'm really a very casual Winwood fan - he's ever-present in our
house, though, largely due to introducing bobbieg@azstarnet.com to Chronicles
some years back.

I think I respect his talents more as time goes on.

cheers,
Ken Gay

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 12:29:53 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: J 7 chartings

According to Billboard, June 21, 1997 issue-  Junction 7 debuted at number 133
on 200 albums chart, :-(  But, on the brighter side,  the album is doing better
overseas:  #15 in Germany, #16 in U.K. and the track Plenty Lovin' with
Des'ree  was #5  on Tokyo Hits  (radio airplay- June 1) in Japan.  Also, VH1 is
playing the Spy in the House of Love video frequently- #16 on its video play
chart.

Hopefully album sales will pick up.  I agree with Ken Gay!  Loved his News
Flash- and Junction 7 is a highly listenable and enjoyable album.  If people
would listen to it several times, I think most of them would agree...

Mary from Minnesota