From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 17:19:50 -0500
Subject: Re: Chicago Doing I'm a Man

Your mention of Chicago performing I'm a Man triggered some fond
memories.  At one point in the late sixties--1968 or so--Chicago's debut record
was our favorite album--and there were some great albums from that era:
Beatles, Stones, Hendrix, etc.  It was a fantastic double album with excellent
horn charts and good vocals called Chicago Transit Authority (the band's
original name; the band members were from DePaul's music school), and on it
they covered I'm a Man: a very good version as I recall.  A year later I went
into the Peace Corps in Liberia, West Africa, where everything was about a
year late--and sure enough, all the American volunteers were listening to the
CTA album.

Les

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:26:09 -0700
Subject: Administrivia

1.  The chatlog from the Virgin Megastore appearance has been uploaded by
Scott on the Official Web-site.  Go to
http://www.stevewinwood.com/multimedia/index.html  to read it.

2. I'm still attempting to keep up with all of you who have your own web-sites,
either your personal page or your business page, so if you have one, and I don't
have a link to you, send me the URL!

3. In the UK, the album J7 charted at #24 last week, but dropped back to 40 this
week.

4. Steve Smith's sessions-work was uploaded last week.  Go to
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/sessions.htm  to read it.

5.  Many more bootlegs were added to the bootleg page.  Go to
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/boots.htm

From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 05:33:49 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Winwood week in LA was full of surprises

I met so many wonderful people this week!  I figured since I was out of town
when J7 came out there was no chance of getting the special pass from Virgin
Megastore which assured an autograph & good view of the concert at the store.
 When I got in town on Sat. I called the store & couldn't believe they were still
giving out the passes!  I rushed down there, bought 2 J7's & got these great
things that looked like backstage passes & a sampler CD along with J7 all for
$12.99 each.  I told the clerk this is the best deal in the world.  Little did I
know this deal would be available up to about a half hour before the show when
it finally did sell out.

On Sunday the mini concert started close to 6 pm with I'm a Man.  I was only
about 7 feet from our hero & couldn't hear him singing.  There were some
audio problems for the first two and a half songs. That's rock & roll.  Jeanie
was standing right next to me in the front row.  I overheard her talking to
someone else about the 8 passes left at the store where she bought hers. I
recognized the story from her recent post & I said "Hi Jeanie".  She & her
husband seemed really nice.  After the concert we all got our autographs!

Monday's concert was all comped for the record industry. :(

Tuesday Bobbie came in for the concert we had tix for.  This was the first
time I met Bobbie in person.  She is a super fantastic person!  Everyone should
take the time to meet her.  Bobbie, my friend Gunnar & I all wore our SP T-
shirts.  We were noticed in line by a nice couple, Beth & her boyfriend or
husband.  Right behind them was the other Jeanie.  We knew her because she
wore her SP T-shirt too!  Beth was surrounded & said, "So you're the fan club."
We told her all about the group & she may join us next week.  They invited us
to sit with them & we did the entire night.    The concert followed the same set
list as the NY concerts & was fantastic.  The small venue was very intimate.  It
reminded me of the days I followed friends & their bands.  After the concert we
hung around like I did in the old days with my friends bands.  These people
were just as friendly.  Mike McEvoy was so nice to us assuring us they would
be back in the fall with a full tour of both small & large venues.  (Earlier this
day SW in a radio interview on KLOS confirmed this).  SW was in front of the
stage with his back to us.  I pointed this out to Bobbie.  We walked over to him,
she got his autograph,  she explained she was BobbieG & pointed to the T-
shirt.  He said "Oh Bobbie!  My wife wants to meet you."  We waited awhile
then he brought her over to us.  They were both so nice to us!  They put up with
all our requests.   Jeanie & Bobbie kissed Steve.  Gunnar reminded me we had
a camera with us.  I asked if he wouldn't mind taking a picture with me.  He
said, "Alright". Gunnar was at the ready.  I said,  "Come on, girls".   Bobbie &
Jeanie joined us for the photo op. of the century!  We are lucky that little
camera can focus in the dark.  You'll see the picture soon on the web site.

I've heard the concert promoters hold back some tix until the night of the
show & have tried previously to get them that way to no avail.  Ticketmaster
on the night of the show said there were tix available but when I got to the
outlet they had gone off sale.  So obviously I was shocked to be able to walk up
to the Roxy box office 10 minutes before the show started on Wed. & get tix!
While near the box office saw Jeff Lynne (from ELO) walking in saying he was
a guest of Jim Capaldi.  I thought this could be a very interesting night. The
concert started the same as the night before.  I saw Jim Capaldi in the audience
with Jeff Lynne.  Then JC was walking around with Ron Weisner.  I didn't
want to bother them because they seemed busy talking business but then Mr.
Weisner walked away for a moment so I walked over to Jim & told him I got
the drumstick from the Traffic concert in 94.  Right then he shook my hand
with a hearty hand shake.  I wish I'd brought it with to be signed but I had no
idea he'd be there.  That rounds out the three living Traffic founders for me
since I talked to Dave Mason some years ago.  The set list was the same as the
night before except after Glad SW said he had some old friends with him
tonight.  They went into John Barleycorn joined by JC singing & playing
tambourine!  On Family Affair SW was joined by Nile Rogers.  On Higher
Love he was joined by Chaka Kahn who could not remember the words so
Steve whispered them in her ear.  After a short while she just started screaming
so loud nobody could understand her anyway so it didn't matter what she sang.
It's only rock n' roll...   Jeff Lynne & most everyone else that played earlier
joined in on Gimme Some Lovin.  At this point I counted 14 people on stage!

Craig

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 07:44:53 -0700
Subject: Tuesday in LA

I can only echo most of what Craig said and add a few notes:

Craig, and his friends Gunnar and Peter, were all so friendly and helpful to me
during my trip, it was an absolute delight. I had a private tour of the Paramount
Studios which I will NOT soon forget!  When I wrote in my birthday-greetings
to SW that his music and this list had impacted my life in ways impossible
to describe, this type of incident is exactly what I meant.

The Roxy Theatre was smaller, darker, warmer (the air conditioning did not
appear to be working, and the band all kept towelling off their faces), less
smoky, and much dirtier than I had anticipated.  We sat above the dance floor
at the first row of tables along the railings; and I'm no judge of distances, but I
would say we were about 12 yards away from the stage.  We were high enough
above the dance floor that we could see SW if we were sitting down while he
was standing up, or vice versa, if we were standing up while he was sitting
down at the keyboards.  But we stood through most of it anyway.

Steve was having the best time!  I've never seen him so animated! He was
laughing, grinning, moving around the stage, high-fiving and thumbs-upping
the other band members, and even attempting to dance! (Sorry, Steve, but you
ain't got rhythm when it comes to dancing.) My personal opinion after
watching him is that since the man is not in need of money, he would be happy
to play these small venues and forego the arenas, stadiums, and sheds.

Personal favorites from the set-list were Gotta Get Back to My Baby (faster
tempo than the album, I thought the version was just more extreme, more 'out
there'; and during the break, when that one lone high voice on the album says,
"Ow!", most of the crowd shouted it!  Including yours-truly.)  and Can't Find
My Way Home (just Steve and the guitar, and just like what we heard on the
LiveConcerts web-concert on Sunday - slow and gentle).  I also have to add
here (Shannon, are you reading this?) that he sang all the lyrics to Low Spark
correctly!!  This is the first time I've heard him do this, and it reinforces my
original notion that when he sings them 'wrong' (different from the original
album version) he's doing that on purpose.

Through a stratagem which I almost didn't attempt and which I won't describe
here, we managed to get 4 wrist-bands for the Meet-n-Greet afterwards.  I
spoke with Mike McEvoy and Randall Bramblett, both of whom have web-sites
now, and asked them to contribute to SP in future, explaining that it is
moderated and so I can protect their privacy.  Mike seemed fairly enthusiastic
about sending us 'dispatches from the front' during the fall tour, Randall less
so;  I will pursue this.

And as Craig said, we spoke several times to SW himself.  Among the things
he and I chatted about were the possibility of him contributing to SP (he said he
wouldn't know what to write, and I assured him we don't care , and
again explained about how it's moderated so his privacy  would remain intact;
I'm glad I mentioned it, but I think it's unlikely, so don't get your hopes up),
content of the unofficial web-site, the birthday greetings (which he received,
and which he says touched him), and some personal stuff.  As Craig said, I
kissed him (just on his cheek!) when I realized that he already knew who I was
and what SP is, and he hugged me, and we all had our picture taken,
and I got another autograph.

I also had several chats with Eugenia, basically going over the same topics, plus
again, a couple personal things.  She is a wonderful, thoughtful, intelligent
person, and I was glad to finally meet her; she also gave me her autograph,
though she protested that Steve is the famous one, not her.  A sweetie.

The Meet-n-Greet lasted about an hour, and we spoke with SW 4 or 5 times
during it.  Twice we joined his group and listened to his conversation and spoke
to him when he was done, but 2 or 3 times, HE actually joined US when he was
free.  It was very gratifying that he felt comfy enough to do that!

Craig and Gunnar took more pictures than Craig mentioned: a couple of SW
singing Gimme Some Lovin, a couple of us all dancing, and some out on the
street afterwards; as soon as he snail-mails them to me, I will scan them and
put them on the web-site.

As the list-owner, I really try to stay out of the discussions here except for
administrivia, and so I'm sorry about the long post, and will now go back to my
semi-lurking mode.

From: Stevsmith1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 15:06:05 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Final Sessions Survey

Several issues back, I began asking for information to go into a comprehensive
listing of Steve Winwood's session work.  UPS finally delivered the last thing I
was waiting for today, so I finished the listing and, if all goes well, it will be
posted soon.  I'm very happy with the way it turned out, and would like to once
again thank everyone who contributed.  Once posted, corrections and especially
additions will of course be welcome!

There are a still a few loose ends concerning possible Winwood sessions:

- Robert Palmer:  Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley (1974) - It's been
suggested that this is a session, but the copies I've found (LP and CD) don't
have any musician credits.

- Eddie Harris:  Sings The Blues (1972) - The AMG site lists this as a session,
but it's probably an error since they don't include the known session _EH In
The UK_ (1974).

- Non-album tracks:  It's possible that some session tracks were released only
on singles, such as Jim Capaldi's many non-album b-sides.  If so, I'm not yet
aware of any.

- Dave Mason:  Alone Together (1970) - This one's been suggested as a session
as well.  The LP has credits, but Steve's not listed.

If you have any information about these, please e-mail me directly and/or post
to SP!

The following two titles were the last new (to us) ones to go into the listing.

Jim Capaldi:  The Sweet Smell Of Success (1980) - Steve co-wrote "Going
Home" with Jim.  Thanks to Murray Dreyer!

Will Powers:  Dancing For Mental Health (1983) - Steve co-wrote 6 of the 8
tracks.  I saw this one a couple weeks ago on the AMG site, found it by chance
in Goldmine and ordered it.  In case Murray doesn't post it, he also mentioned
it to me earlier this week, and in fact warned me about it!  The album's name
very literally describes its contents.  The songs consist of psychology lessons,
largely spoken and over-enunciated, set to dance music.  Truly bizarre beyond
words!  Who dreamed this project up and why?  Some of the dance music is
quite good, though, and the advice seems sound in a pop culture sort of way.
The sleeve lists Steve as a "Will Powers Supporter", along with over 100 other
people including recognizable names like Sting, Meat Loaf (and Leslie Loaf!),
and Nile Rodgers.  No musician credits of any kind are provided, so Steve's
role in this project is unclear.  Lynn Goldsmith is the producer - the name
sounds familiar, but I can't place it.  Anyone know more about this?  I'm
REALLY curious now...

Steve

[Lynn Goldsmith is a photographer and a former girlfriend of Bruce
Springsteen.  She took the photos for the Talking Back to the Night album
cover.  I have no clue why she's producing albums now.  --BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: DonkeyDui@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 12:55:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Last Tuesday night in LA

Greetings, fellow Steve fans.  This is Jeanne with my fantastic memories from
his L.A. concert on June 10, 1997.  The concert was the best of his or anyone
else's I've ever seen.  He looked adorable and the band was excellent.  He sang
so many great songs, new and old, that it's difficult for me to pick one favorite.
I'll have to say "Can't Find My Way Home" because it's so beautiful.

After the concert, thanks to our own Bobbie G, Craig, Gunnar, Bobbie and I
MET HIM.  It's four days later and I still can't believe it wasn't a dream.  He
and his wife are two of the nicest people I've ever met - so kind and generous
with their time and attention.  And - Bobbie and I KISSED HIM on the cheek !

Love, Jeanne Truxton

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Gary Ames"
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 21:44:30 +0000
Subject: New email address

Greetings to all I have traded with!

Please note my new email address - could you please update your list, as I
would hate to miss any future trades! If you'd like me to send an updated list ,
please shout!

Cheers!
gary

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 13:31:39 +0100
From: Jane Armstrong
Subject: Appeared on the Clapton Slowhand Digest

The following appeared in the Slowhand Digest recently, and I thought you
might like to see it.

From: Don Green
Subject: Seattle Clapton Fan

Last week on the David Letterman, they had Steve Winwood as a musical
guest.  He was great.  Watching him play the guitar instead of the usual
keyboards reminded me of when I saw him with Blind Faith.. He is a truly
talented musician.

I remember during the Blind Faith concert, how impressed, I was with his
guitar playing on Had To Cry Today. He played easily as well as Clapton,
as they played off each other, just like Duane and Eric did a few months
later.

It would be real nice to see Eric and Steve Winwood work together again,
in a less pretentious environment then was Blind Faith.

Bye
Jane