Date: Mon, 09 Jun 1997 15:25:02 +0100
From: "Terrance M. Egan"
Subject: Re: Spooky Tooth

<>

I think it's Gary Wright (who started with Spooky Tooth, left them, and went
on to "Dream Weaver" fame).  Mike Harrison voice is husky whereas Wright's
voice hits the higher notes.  I agree, Spooky Tooth was a great band, and is
largely ignored these days.  Check out their second album "Spooky Two"
sometime.

Terry

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Vockeroth, Adrian"
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 16:08:39 -0400

At least one Smiling Phases subscriber was already signed up to the  Sandy
Denny List prior to Levent's posting in the last volume of SP.   I've been signed
up to the Sandy Denny List since it began.  If any of you fellow Winwood
devotees are into Sandy Denny's music, then by all means sign up to Levent's
Sandy Denny mailing list.  Judging from the number of postings, there can't be
too many members yet, so the more the merrier!  Despite the infrequent
postings, I've already learned a lot of interesting info on the late great
songstress through Levent's mailing list.  It would be great to have lots of
Smiling Phasers climbing aboard.

Adrian Vockeroth
Gatineau Quebec

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: MAttorney@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 17:19:05 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Steve's NY show on June 6th

I attended Steve's show at the Irving Plaza in Manhattan on Friday, June 6th.
Since I have a friend who has connections in the music business, I was given
VIP passes so I watched the show from upstairs in the VIP section.  Just before
the show began, I was able to speak to Eugenia Winwood for a few minutes.
She was really sweet...she knew all about Smiling Phases and informed me that
they had received our birthday greetings to Steve.  The show itself was
wonderful....at least in my opinion.  He sounded great.  Steve did about 5 songs
from his new album "Junction 7", he also did "Can't Find My Way Home",
"Low Spark of High Heeled Boys", and "Glad".  The rest of the songs were all
from his solo albums....with the exception of "Gimme Some Lovin" which as
usual ended the show.  Afterwards, again through the help of my friend's
connection, I was able to meet with Steve himself for a couple of minutes as he
was leaving.  He looked wonderful and was incredibly nice.  I had been really
nervous over just the thought of seeing him, but when I actually did, he had this
incredible calming effect over me so I felt really at ease with him.  I got his
autograph and we briefly discussed "Junction 7".  Since I didn't want to hold
him up, I thanked him and we shook hands before he left.   It definitely turned
out to be a memorable evening....one that I will not soon forget.

Maria

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: RBERG51@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 18:43:05 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Traffic boot question

My friend recently picked up a copy of a CD by Traffic called Woodwind.  Bill
Graham announces the band at the very beginning, and one of the members is
Rich Gretch.  Does anyone know if the 1970 date is accurate, and have any
thoughts about this CD.  It does sound great.  My friend suspects that it's a
compilation of a Fillmore show and possible the 1970 BBC Classic Trax show.

Neil

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:09:47 +1200
From: Murray Dreyer
Subject: One And Only Man

I recently purchased from a UK Mail order Company "ESPRIT" a USA "Promo
only - Not for Resale" CD Single of "One and Only Man". It contains four
different versions of the song. They are,
- Straight Bass Version
- A capella Version
- Junior's NYC M
- Junior's NYC Dub

It's a must for Winwood Collectors and they may have copies left so if you
haven't got it, go out and get it.

Cheers,
Murray D

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Gabb, Anthony A"
Subject: RE: Smiling Phases Posts (2 of them)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 09:28:24 +1000

Number 1 - Virgin Megastore Performance
--------------

Since I've only ever seen Steve live once before in Australia, it was  fantastic to
be able to listen in on the Virgin Megastore performance which was simulcast
on the Internet.  The video was very scratchy and this will probably never
change until higher speeds are possible on the web for the average user.

The audio wasn't too bad - I just wish 56K was available so I could've at least
got it in stereo.  Luckily there was no problems with the connection and I got
the whole 45 minutes uninterrupted.  The first song in the set was I'm a Man
which was audio only - they got video going for Spy...  It is probably the best
version of I'm a Man that I've heard with a fantastic organ solo in the middle.

The rest of the music was good - Spy... sounds heaps better live than on the
album however Got to Get Back lacked a little on the album version.  It was
good to hear Glad played at full pace (the version of  the flip side of the I'm a
Man single was way too slow) although my favourite part is the piano solo in
the "2nd movement" of the song which on this occasion was devoted to
percussion solos.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Steve's voice was feeling the strain - I heard it
break up a little on the last song (Gimme Some Lovin') - maybe that's why the
length of the set was reduced.

What is clear is that the older songs (SDG and Traffic) are much better for live
performance than some of the newer material.  Back in those days (without the
benefit of hi-tech production methods) the sound had that rawer, "live" feel to it
and therefore transposes well to the live environment.

Enough rambling - all in all it was an excellent performance.

------------------------------

Number 2 - Bad Reviews
--------------

I agree with Les' sentiments that we should not get hung up on bad reviews that
Steve receives.  Steve's core group of fans are almost always going to like
everything he puts out regardless of what the critics think.  The only negative is
that bad reviews may mean that Steve does not get the broad mainstream
support and sales that we think he deserves (and Virgin probably wants).
However bad reviews do not always mean that music is commercially
unsuccessful - has anyone heard a good review of the Spice Girls yet? :-)

Anyway each to their own.  I agree that Junction 7 was treading a very fine line
between a quality recording and total crap.  However at the end of the day it is
Steve's voice and the musicianship he brings to all his recordings which save it.
My only hope is this experiment with Narada Michael Walden is his last.

.....Anthony

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: Stevsmith1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 21:35:19 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Winwood With Spooky Tooth

Murray said in a recent issue that the vocalist on "Bubbles", the last track of
Spooky Tooth's _It's All About_ (1968), sounds like Winwood.  Picking up on
Murray's cue, I ran out and picked up the album to check it out.  The song is an
amazing collage of Traffic's first album and early singles.  If you ever want to
hear all of Traffic's _Mr. Fantasy_ album but only have three minutes, this is
the song to play!  Feel the undercurrent of "Heaven Is In Your Mind", the
silliness of "Berkshire Poppies", and a dash of tension from "Dear Mr.
Fantasy".  You might miss Chris Wood's 'winds, but maybe not at 2:49.
Spooky Tooth's Hammond-saturated sound is well suited to imitating Traffic.
The lead vocal sounds remarkably like Winwood, but the backing vocal is truly
convincing.

Is it Winwood?  Good question.  The circumstances are compelling, since the
members of Traffic and Spooky Tooth shared the same revolving door in a
dizzying array of previous bands, both were produced by Jimmy Miller at the
time, and the two bands toured together at some point.  The musician credits
include only the band members.  Steve was just beginning to do sessions around
this time.  On close listening, though, I'd say that the lead vocal is definitely not
Winwood but rather an extraordinary (and commendable!) approximation by
the band's Mike Harrison.  I would otherwise be convinced that Steve sings
backup, but my guess is that's Mike Harrison as well.

Any one else have this?

From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:59:01 -0500
Subject: Dream

For those who believe in auguries, I dreamt last night that Steve was on the
cover of Newsweek.  He was pictured in profile, a very tight head shot, and the
headline was MAXIMUM JAMMING  (referring apparently to the summer
concert tours).  Picture and text were all in a sepia monotone. Remember--you
read it here first!

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 13:20:10 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Airforce CD

"837 349 - 2  GINGER BAKER'S AIR FORCE  POLYDOR"
That's on the CD spine.
Barcode on back = 422 - 837349 - 2
Made by "PolyGram Records"
Manufactured for CD by Tom Coyne at Frankford/Wayne.

That's all,
Mike.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: "Angelo"
Subject: Winwood Spanish Article And Good Review
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 14:40:54 +0200

El País, May 24th 1997, Madrid
Section "BABELIA" - Culture and Music

Encounter # 7 for SW. (S.A.)

His new work is the reflexion of a mature man who knows what he wants. The
British musician reassesses his soul vocation in the album "Junction7" SW
preferred a press conference in a very ancient Oxford Hotel, halfway between
his Gloucestershire home and London. So the worls apporaches him and he
approaches the world in Nobody's Land, next to his domestic peace, his family,
far from the madding crowd. This English gentleman, Stephen Lawrence
Winwood (Handsworth, Birmingham, 1948) famous since he was 15 and
fought in the charts with Frank Sinatra, the Beatles or his very idol Ray
Charles.

Gotta get Back to My Baby, Plenty of Lovin', Real Love, Someone Like You
and Fill Me Up, the songs of his 7th solo album are the very reflexions of a
mature man who, after a long, obscure period, knows what he wants, and
realizes what love really is and who's the person he wants to spend the rest of
his life with; remembers days of emptiness, loneliness or blindness and states a
newly-found balance since his adolescence, since celebrity. "In this album I
wanted to write most of the lyrics, apart from working with my usual lyricists. I
tried capturing and stressing some kind of spiritual positive issue to transmit
the listeners, to be positive in a world where negativity dominates." Other songs
in Junction 7 deal with lighter themes: "They're never about trivia. Only, they
related to feeling good, and this is very sound IMO" For instance, Spy In the
House of Love, a contagious number right from the very initial guitar riff
sustained by bass and drums "it is a song about relationships, how you see
people around you. This central chacacter who controls the streets and wants to
feel good, to be watched by women passers-by and feels like a king because of it
and sings : "Tonight the world is in my hands".

Junction 7 is Winwood's  funkiest, blackiest record. Plenty of Lovin recalls
Marvin Gaye's style and is influenced by the producer Narada Michael Walden.
"It is tru". I tried to get as far as possible from Traffic (WHAT DID I TELL
YOU? Translator's note), and I did the same on Far From Home, the last
Traffic album, I tried to be anything but Steve Winwood the solo artist. Both
are good channels of expression and this record has a pop basis with soul, R&B
and blues elements. Traffic was more acid-jazz, folk etc. I choose Narada
because he has a very vast experience in different musical genders: he played
drums in Mahavisnu Orchestra and proved his pop sensitiveness in producing
Aretha Franklin, Whitney Houston in their powerful records. He wanted to
work with somebody who was a musician too, he needed advice from a
musician , wanted to play with a musician. I knew Narada could play more
than an instrument"

Winwood tried enthusiastically counterculture and psychedelia in the 60s, with
Eric Clapton, Blind Faith and his friend Jimi Hendrix "All good people, Jimi
was a gentleman. It was easy to work with him for he was incredibly gifted. I
recorded with him, we talked briefly about what he wanted and he had 3 takes:
he warmed up in the 1st, broke a string in the 2nd and did it in the 3rd."
Hendrix closed the 2st Woodstock festival, Winwood and Capaldi in the 25th
anniversary's: "It was good. I think people expected it to be like the 1st one, but
it was the same to me. There was lots of good music there and many people
who enjoyed themselves. Who could ask for more?"

Masters and disciples

Winwood played in small US and German venues, wants to play various open-
air festivales  and  is not going to play Barcelona, where he met Ray Charles in
person 3 years ago: "I went to his dressing room very nervous, and said "Hi, I'm
S."W." and he answered "Hi. You know where my bag is?" and continued
looking for it. Ray Charles was James Taylor's idol too. He was born two
months before Winwood. "I knew James better when I recorded Back In the
High Life "where he sang " He's fantastic, I'm a big fan of his and all his music.
He's great". Winwood played organ in Paul Weller's last album, one of his
disciples: "He called me and asked me to play with him. I had been listening to
Wild Wood, his previous record, very Traffic-like and it seemed a good idea to
play with him". Lenny Kravitz also is a great Winwood fan. "He's much better
when he plays live. He's fantastic. Great guitarist, great musician". Junction 7
is his 7 th record since "Steve Winwood", released 20 years ago " It went badly
because many people overlooked it, and it was a GOOD record indeed". Arc of
a Diver, 1981: "It directed me where I wanted to go:" Talking back to the
Night, 1982: " There are great songs there. it is a fantastic album who came out
in a strange moment in music." Back in The High Life, 1986, 2 Grammies "
My best solo album. J7 is very much in the same open wave." Roll With It,
1988 "All I can say is, go on with it. "Refugees of the Heart, 1990: "Sounds a
bit like Traffic (EH???? Translator's note) as much as Far From Home sounded
just a bit like Winwood. I wanted to separate these 2 styles and Junction Seven
was my solution to this problem." (S.A.)

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 09:03:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: jfwales
Subject: Wanna hear a REAL hoot?

I watched the KTLA Morning Show, & they had SW & the gang on to perform
"Spy In the House..."  And...they let him do the weather report!  What a hoot!

Jeanie

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: "Vockeroth, Adrian"
Subject: I've never seen SW live
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 12:39:25 -0400

First time I almost saw him was during the Spencer Davis Days.  SDG (with
SW) was  playing with the Hollies and the Who at a local cinema.  The Who
were performing Tommy.  I was 13 years old and felt lucky to be attending the
show with several of the "cooler" 16 year old guys at my school.  Even at that
age, I was really into the SDG and was very much looking forward to seeing
them.  I also was a big fan of the Hollies  (particularly Graham Nash -- I never
much cared for Alan Clarke).  For me the Who performing Tommy was a
bonus but the big attraction was the SDG.  Anyway, it turned out that Pete
Townsend had been stopped at the border and the Who could not perform.  We
were all offered a refund but could stay to see the SDG and the Hollies for free!
My friends
were only interested in the Who and promptly went downstairs to get their
refund and leave.  Being a real slave to peer pressure, I went with them and
missed the show.

The second time was a few years later.  I had switched high schools and believe
it or not the school had booked Traffic to play in its small auditorium for one of
a series of Friday night concerts.  All of the concerts except Traffic were local
Canadian bands and sold very well.  I was ecstatic that Traffic were coming
only to find out the day before the show that it had been canceled because they
had only sold about 15 tickets.

The third time was in 86 or 87 when Steve was doing an outdoor show at Jarry
Park in Montreal (the former ballpark of the Montreal Expos, in case you
follow baseball).  I didn't want to spend the money on train fare and hotel
unless I was reasonably sure that the stage was adequately protected from the
elements so that the show would go on rain or shine.  The tickets had "RAIN
OR SHINE" in big bold print on them, so I figured I'd travel to the show.
Anyway, you guessed it -- a gale force storm passed through Montreal that day
and it would have been suicide to perform with any electric equipment.  So the
show was canceled.  I was totally disappointed to have missed Steve again and
to have wasted train fare and the price of a night's hotel accommodation.

Adrian

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 13:59:54 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Chicago and I'm A Man

This really doesn't have a lot to do with Steve, but it's his song, so I'll
share... :-)

I saw Chicago and The Beach Boys in concert last Friday and Chicago is doing
a cover of "I'm a Man" during their set.  I didn't think it was a really bad
cover... it took me a minute to recognize it, but it wasn't too bad.  I don't know
if everyone else thought it was a bad cover, but they all left during the song...

Andrea