Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 01:21:32 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Mulberry bush!!

Well, I have to disagree with Mike only on one thing, the only CD left is not
"GO", but also "GO LIVE FROM PARIS", as well as the Fania All Stars
album, most importantly (and no matter how is sounds) The AIRFORCE
album, all have to be on CD, simply because Chris and Steve are in it,
alongside other greats, also my Traffic would be like:

WOOD
WINWOOD
CAPALDI
REBOP
EVERYBODY ELSE,,,,, WELL NOW that's more like it,,,

Can not wait for the new album, it gives huge pain, waiting,

Berkin,, the meanest Turk in the world,,

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Jason Nickerson"
Subject: HDCD?

Anybody notice the "HDCD" symbol on the CD and on the back of the booklet.
Normally CD's care the "DDD" or "AAD" designations.

What does this mean, if anything?

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 1997 17:12:05 +1200
From: Murray Dreyer
Subject: Re: More session work

I'm new to SP and have enjoyed reading the back issues. Recently there has
been a lot of discussion re appearances of SW on other peoples albums. Here's
another you can add in for discussion. I have never seen it acknowledged but if
you listen to the last track "Bubbles" on the album "It's all about", the first
album by "Spooky Tooth". a fine English Band (Island 1968), I'm sure you will
agree that it's our man SW on vocals.

Having listened to SW's voice since I first heard "Stevie's Blues" in 1965 I'm
sure that it's him. Anybody agree or disagree?

My fave SW Solo tracks (excluding SDG, Traffic, BF etc) have got to be -
"There's a River" (A pure Winwood Dirge) and the massive "Midland
Maniac" from the first solo album. But they're all good, aren't they.

cheers

Murray D

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: PBookstein@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 08:53:25 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: our man has arrived

Hopefully, I've finally got through.  Our man arrived in NY Monday.  Caught
on radio his first interview and performance.  He played Can't Find My Way
Home acoustically, Family Affair reluctantly by request (all they had was an
electric piano, you can't fit a Hammond in a radio studio) and Somebody Like
You, which he described as one of his favorites.

Bought the CD, of course.  "Fun" and "LYLCD" sound like great pop radio
summer hits.  Hey, you could say it is overproduced, but only he has talent to
perform studio work live.  Anyway, when his last 2 records which were rawer
came out the masses didn't care.  So, anyone who says this is too commercial or
poppy just doesn't know the man and his music.  I'll catch another radio
interview at 4 and of course the shows tonight and tomorrow. The  Virgin
promotion sounds awesome! Can't wait for a report.  Someone on my volleyball
team saw Letterman SW night.  Not being a fan, she thought I'm a Man was
awesome.

Regards
PerryB

From: "Francisco Sampedro"
Subject: Wood
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 14:54:21 +0200

I think that Chris Wood's sound is essential for Traffic. What's your opinion
about it? Do you know something about the album that Wood was making
when he died?

My traffic #1 song: Shanghai Noodle Factory.

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: 8.ball@spotcom.com
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:48:32 -0500
Subject: LA's New Times review

Thought I'd write you the meanest spirited review of Steve Winwood, coming
from LA's "alternative" and vastly cynical _New Times_.  While I do find a lot
of it just nasty, there could be some hint of truth in it, even for the most ardent
Winwood fan.

Bought the new CD and like it, though it has a very uncomfortable gloss and
polish to it (me leaning more towards the early part of Steve's career).

Anyhoo, here's the (p)review.. just remember, I didn't write it:

"I have never understood the appeal of Steve Winwood the Solo Artist. It
certainly can't be the resume: The Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith,
and that awful Japanese-German collaboration (Go it was called, and gone it is)
exist in the very, _very_ distant past; with the exception of "Gimme Some
Lovin'" most of the man's pre-_Arc of a Diver_ catalog doesn't much rear its
ugly head, not even on oldies radio-who's got time for all that god damned
jamming? And it certainly can't be the signing that keeps them coming back:
Here's a guy who has basically wasted his talent for two-plus decades - who
could have sung, as Robert Christgau once wrote, `like Ray Charles' (and that's
a big _like_) only to keep performing as though he'd never heard the man.  As
a precocious, talented 16-year-old, Winwood was such a thrill to hear; even
now, his turn on "I'm a Man" reeks of the brilliant arrogance of youth.  But
now, he's a vestige of a relic, a soul singer without much heart.

 His new record's title _Junction 7_, and you bought it the first time when it
was called _Back in the High Life_ and used to sell Miller Lite.  Winwood now
seems to exist simply because he can, because he made it through the 70s so he
could sell a few songs to beer commercials in the '80s so he could carry them
with the aura of survivor in the 90s. But he's no Neil Young or John Fogerty or
even Paul McCartney; he has little to prop up his status, little to show for all
those years in the trenches.  _Junction 7_ isn't a comeback, just another gone-
away -- one of those middle-of-the-road pop records where white guys hire out
for black faces and pray to sweet Jesus it won't play as phony as it ultimately
sounds.  I want R&B; I'm not buying Winwood; I want soul or reggae or world
pop, I'm not buying Winwood.  Hell, I want _music_, I ain't buying Winwood
... and I can't believe even he buys it anymore."

Being this is a forum for Winwood fans, myself included (though I get the
feeling I'm going to get mucho-flamed for even considering reprinting this)...
anyone care to discuss?

Jeff Hawkins

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: PBookstein@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 06:44:09 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: wow wow wow!!!!!!

I used to say the best concert I ever went to was the Rolling Stones at Shea in
NY, their comeback tour, the atmosphere and performance was amazing.  But
the funny thing was I wasn't a stones fan.  The SW show tops that.  I don't want
to ruin it for anybody, so all I'll say is, he touches ALL I MEAN ALL phases of
his career.  Just imagine a ten piece band of talented musicians playing in a
club that can't hold more than 2000 people playing elaborate versions of every
song.  I had a hard time finding my way home last night!!!

PerryB

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 08:43:12 -0700
Subject: Lyrics to Midland Maniac

A Subscriber has very kindly sent me the lyrics to "Midland Maniac", but is
unsure if they are all correct.  I uploaded them to the web-site, and would like
you guys to 'vet' them.

http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/misolyr.txt

Thanks!

Date: 06 Jun 97 12:56:45 -0500
From: "Fulk, Barry"
Subject:  Chicago Tribune Reviews "Junction 7"

Steve Winwood
Junction 7 (Virgin)
* * * (3 stars)

Steve Winwood follows up an uninspired 1994 Traffic album ("Far From
Home") with his funkiest solo album yet. Winwood's vocals are so uninhibited
and soulful that you're willing to cut him some slack for Nara Michael
Walden's slick coproduction. "Spy In the House of Love," the first single, is
Winwood's best since "Higher Love." He and Des'ree do a sultry duet on
"Plenty of Lovin," and there's a great cover of Sly Stone's "Family Affair."

bf

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "Fischler, Sol (NBC)"
Subject: Rosie O'Donnell
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:25:00 -0400

Just came from the Rosie O'Donnell taping -- everyone looked happy & they
sounded great.  They did Spy in the House of Love,  and after less than a little
coaxing,  Rosie joined them for Higher Love.  SW does not look comfortable in
the guest's chair,  though.  Rosie told a quick story and the humor seemed to go
right over his head. In the hallway afterwards,  the drummer (Wilfredo Reyes)
was complaining about how they sounded on Letterman earlier in the week.  I
didn't see the show, but he said Letterman's sound guys just didn't care how it
sounded,  they said they have just one way to set up for a band & that's what
they were going to do.  Everyone was pleased with this performance,  however.

I'll be setting my VCR.

--Sol

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: "RAMIL & CO."
Subject: Irving Plaza NY
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 15:30:23 -0400

My brother went to see a show at Irving Plaza in NY and I'd like to share his
observations with the rest of the fans.

"I saw Winwood last night at Irving Plaza.  It was incredible.  The place is
a very small general admission venue.  I was leaning on a balcony directly over
the stage.  I could see the sweat on his face.  Winwood had like a ten-piece
band with the works....he himself played an old Hammond organ and a grand
piano as well as the guitar and mandolin.    I have never been to a show with a
talent like him at such a close range and in such an intimate setting.   The band
was hot, the black back-up singers where hot, the tunes were hot.

He played it all.  Blind Faith, Traffic, Winwood and Spencer Davis.   Quite an
exceptional live performer.   Wish you were there you would have loved it."

Oh well, If the album is getting lousy reviews at least we got great shows to
look forward to.

-Filip