Date sent:        Thu, 29 May 1997 01:27:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:             pjrosano@ix.netcom.com (Paul Rosano)
Subject:          Re: LiveConcerts

[Accessing the concert is...]  fairly straight forward. A few days before the
show they will e-mail you a password. The day of the show, go to the site about
15-30 minutes before the starting time. Go to the page for the concert and type
in your password, that's it.

Real Audio is very cool. There are so many sites you can use it at.  Check out
the Morning Becomes Eclectic page, that's the first one you usually get when to
go to LiveConcerts, there are some excellent interviews and live in-the-studio
performances.

You can't save the show to a file with the free version of RealAudio, but there is
a way to capture the show, which is what I plan to do.  If you want to also,
simply run a connecting cable from the line out of your sound card, which is on
the back of your computer, to the inputs of a cassette player. You may need a
mini-plug to RCA adapter. I did this with a P.J. Harvey interview and it came
out very good.

Winwood's appearance on the Honors concert was so good. He's an inspiration.

Paul

[The Winwood concert is scheduled for Sunday, June 8, at 6:00 pm PT, which I
assume means Pacific Time here in the USA.  --BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Forgetting something... dazed and confused???
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 05:45:46 +0200

I was just wondering about your posts... I was VERY puzzled when you say
Mason came third in importance after Winwood and Capaldi... I was about to
thank you on Chris Wood's  account about his insignificant contribution to
Traffic's sound and Music! Then  in your second post you said you
appreciated the two Hendrix tracks on Electric Ladyland Chris plays on.
Well he' s not deaf, after all, I went!!!

First you said you appreciated Mason's sitar work (on how many tracks?
Utterly Simple? Hole in My Shoe? Paper Sun? They are MOST representative
of what Traffic sound was!!) then you say it was overrated...  Please explain
better....

You seem to have a big preoccupation with record sales. I think people like
Winwood are well above that now, and Bowie doesn't need to sell billions of
records to be remembered as one of the most innovative and original artist of
the last 40 years.  Have you forgotten that teenagers are a very big slice of the
record market and that we over 35 have many other things to think about rather
than watch MTV (or VH1) all day and so be bewitched by the charms of such
atalents as Spice Girls or Hanson??

I've recently got the famous 7 pages MOJO article: a celebration of a DEAD
artist! Two lines on the new record and the rest was mostly from his biography
"Roll With it" or from articles that appeared on the British press 3 years ago for
the launching of Far from Home. They're not interested in what Steve has to
say NOW, they just celebrate it for us over 35  followers!!!

Pretty obvious they don't want to risk a lot on an Artist who anyway has got his
devoted following of sentimental suckers that will buy him whatever, if only for
sentimental reasons... Still, I'm very proud to fall in the category.

Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 01:44:18 -0400
From: William <"wwood@stclairc.on.ca"@stclairc.on.ca>
Subject: Re: live albums and the Traffic logo

I know that this idea probably sounds ridiculous, but if I ever had the chance to
ask Steve himself, other than why he has never put out a live album (a sore
point with me) since the pretty decent Welcome to the Canteen and the
disappointing On the Road, but I think the Traffic logo is great, and that it is an
intertwining of the four arrows, which I have always thought to represent the
original four members of the band. My point is (and someone please help me
out on this one), from what I understand, the Tartans of Scotland used to
change as the clans did -- it would be interesting if the logo changed to
acclimatize or reflect what went on in the band's history (for example, a
teardrop or double line on one of the arrows to represent the death of Chris
Wood, or a different colour on one of the arrows to represent Dave Mason
leaving, or some mutation to signify the incorporation of the other players, as
time went on, down to the present duo of Winwood and Capaldi). It probably
sounds daft, but I thought it an idea nonetheless, and I was wondering if you
had any ideas about it.

William

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 10:35:48 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: TV appearance ??

Just checked Rosie O'Donnell web page upcoming show listings- for week of
June 2nd... Steve Winwood WAS NOT listed as a guest on June 6th or any
other date!  Luscious Jackson is the musical guest.  Anyone know how to find
out what happened?  I was really looking forward to seeing him on her show
(she always has personal memories of music to share- it's fun!)

Mary  :-(

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 17:19:57 +0100
From: Jane Armstrong
Subject: National Lottery programme

By the way, I notice that Steve Winwood is on our National Lottery programme
Saturday night.  I shall be away (taking a group of teenagers to Alton Towers
Theme Park for the weekend), but I shall get my husband to tape it for me!

All the best
Jane

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: Madbotyou@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 22:13:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: review of "Junction 7" in Entertainment Weekly

If you caught Steve Winwood's takeover of the VH1 Honors telecast, perhaps
you noticed how he shares (Paul) McCartney's characteristic singing
expression--eyebrows raised in perpetual arches, erected above a look of wide-
eyed wonder. Unlike Paul, though, Winwood's voice is frozen in a single
expression too -- an agreeable white-soul indestructibility.  On Junction 7, he
sounds about the same whether brooding with sexual paranoia in the opening
"Spy In The House Of Love" or exulting about sexual salvation in "Angel Of
Mercy."  Unfortunately, his album is as overproduced as McCartney's is
modest. His current partner, Narada Michael Walden, is apparently in the
belief -- speaking of frozen -- that 1987 was the summit of pop soulfulness. The
drum programming, the MIDI synths leavened with a humanizing pinch of
funk guitar, the compliantly cooing female vocals...nearly every discarded
studio-cat idea from a barely bygone era is back out of mothballs. By the time
they have their way with a swingless cover of "Family Affair," you may feel
ready to have one of whatever Sly Stone's having, wherever he is.

(This review is in the current issue of Entertainment Weekly dated May 30. the
reviewer gives the album a D+.)

Ken

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 21:05:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: jfwales
Subject: SW at Virgin Megastore

I called the Virgin Megastore tonight & they told me that entrance was first
come first serve ... I can be there at noon & hide in the stock room!  The guy
didn't think it was going to be a big deal (obviously NOT a fan...) & that they
probably wouldn't be issuing wrist bans...but we're going to stop by EARLY in
the day JUST in case!!!  Geez, I knew God answered prayer, but this was
BETTER than I expected!!!  I can't help but wonder if maybe he would
autograph albums if you bought one there ...?  I'm still buying mine Tuesday,
but I'll buy another one if I can get it signed!  (Sell the other one at the
Wherehouse used!)  Now, at least, I have SOMETHING to look forward to!!!
Even hubby is kinda looking forward to it...what he REALLY wants is to go
over to Marina Del Rey for dinner afterwards!!!  Oh well...I'll be too high
to eat!!

Jeanie

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 08:33:14 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: The (Real) Rollright Stones

An article in THE TIMES of May 13 1997 -
"For sale: 77 Bronze Age boulders; magical atmosphere"
Buyers were invited to bid for the RRS, dating from the Bronze Age. The RRS
are on one of the highest points of the Cotswolds (hills).  The owner (Pauline
Flick) wants to see what she can get for them.  She got them from her father
(who bought them in 1929).  She refused to put up a sign, so as not to
encourage tourists.  She hopes to get #55,000 for the 77 unhewn boulders near
Chipping Norton in Oxfordshire.  The RRS are known as the King's Men.
(abridged)

Shall we put in a bid? (JOKE!!!).

Now that Scott T is in contact with Mrs Winwood, you could ask ST to ask her
to ask Steve Winwood the EXACT directions to Traffic's cottage before you
come over here.  She could also ask Steve if he can do anything to get GO on
CD.

Bye, Mike.

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 07:45:13 -0700
Subject: Why 2 sites?

I have been receiving a bit of email asking why we now have to have 2 sites,
about how confusing it is, wondering how this will affect SP, and so forth, so
here's the short answer:

We have 2 sites because basically that's the way the Winwoods want it.  ;-)

Scott's "official" site can NOT appear to condone bootlegs, or the re-printing of
lyrics and guitar tabs, or unauthorized midis for downloading.  It CAN have a
lot of information that would not be otherwise available.

My "unofficial" site CAN contain the otherwise forbidden things: Scott, myself,
and the Winwoods recognize that fans still want to see these things on a web-
site.  My site will have more emphasis on user-generated things.

There will be more links between the two sites in future, and we're hoping that
no information was lost in making the transition.  We would both like all your
help and input in whatever ways you feel comfy with.  We hope not to confuse
you, but to expand the knowledge and usability base.

SP - the Digest - will NOT be affected in any way.  You still send posts to me,
the archives are still at the same site.

Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 18:43:20 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: J7 mention

This showed up in my mail today and I figured that I would pass it along.

Music: Once a legend, always a legend

Boomer legends don't stop making music, they just get a little older. And age
has affected the new
solo records  of Paul McCartney, Steve Winwood and John Fogerty all
differently.

McCartney remains the proud--if cautious--papa of rock and roll on Flaming
Pie. Winwood released a slick Junction Seven, while the Creedence Clearwater
Revival frontman got over his feud with English Patient producer and Fantasy
Records chairman Saul Zaentz enough to put out  Blue Moon Swamp
, a "remarkably vibrant batch of songs" influenced by drives through the
Deep South.

Andrea

11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Fri, 30 May 1997 16:50:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: jfwales
Subject: The Official Steve Winwood Page

Can't imagine that a day goes by that you don't check this page, but thought I'd
check in with you anyway...I was JUST there & there is a BIG, LONG list on
Promotional Performances that SW will be doing in the next couple of weeks...
one of which is the live concert at the Virgin Megastore in Hollywood... really a
LOT of stuff listed here; radio, TV, you name it!  Also, the tour list looks to be
updated...all European gigs.  If you haven't, GO NOW!

Jeanie