Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 13:02:29 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Re: Session; and An Interview with Steve

Other session works of SW I know of are:

George Harrison - self titled (79)
Phil Collins - But Seriously (89)
various artists - A Tribute To Curtis Mayfield (94)
Paul Weller - Stanley Road(95)

Japanese Keyboard Magazine is one of the music magazines I nearly subscribe
to, but I don't buy a copy of every issue of it depending on the contents.
However, I bought a copy of May '97 issue yesterday without turning over any
single pages because the cover photo was our hero with this line:

Steve Winwood Talks of His New Album 'Junction 7'

The interviewer, who is known as a keyboardist, asked SW several questions on
the phone after listening to the new album. The article introduces some of SW's
interesting comments which appeared on the official promotional documents
sent by Virgin Record in London - why SW invited Narada Michael Walden,
Nile Rodgers, and Lenny Kravitz and the relation between Traffic and his solo
career.

In the interview SW talked about the title of the album, the roles of co-writers,
the instruments, the playing styles of keyboards, live vs programming, Cuban
music (Gotta Get Back to My Baby), the cover of Family Affair, etc.

It's really tough to translate from Japanese to English, but I will try.

Hisao Chida

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: Redux5@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 02:47:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Billboard Article

If you haven't seen the May 10 issue of Billboard yet, it has an extensive article
on  Junction 7.  The most notable news is that Steve will be on Letterman June
3, and on the Rosie O'Donnell show June 6.

Apparently, the video networks have already been given the video for the song,
although I haven't seen it yet.  Plans are also in the works to have Steve
perform on VH1's Hard Rock Live and Legends shows. :-))))))

                                                  Dan Griffith

[Got that, everyone?  Set your VCRs for June 3 and June 6!  I'd also like to add
that the Billboard article mentions that SW's wife co-wrote "Gotta Get Back To
My Baby" and that the song actually refers to her being away from baby Lilly!
I love that.  --BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Stevsmith1@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 00:43:25 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Sessions Update

I'm getting some really good stuff for the Sessions survey, and I poked around
the Web a bit, so here's another few pieces.  I'm still looking for material on
Fania All Stars' 1975 self-titled album (not _Delicate And Jumpy_!), Gordon
Jackson, Reg King, Alan Merrill, and Writz.  Has anyone ever seen the Reg
King or Writz records????  Or even seen them listed somewhere other than
_Rock Record_ or Steve Winwood discographies?  Please let me know!

First, a couple corrections.  Julie Covington's album was 1978, not 1973.  My
goof!  The presence of a track from SW's first solo album clued me in to that
one.  Also, the song "You Burned Me" on Capaldi's _Daughter Of The Night_
was called "You Burn Me" on _The Contender_.  I thought this was a typo
among Subscribers, but no!  Strange way to release an album(s)...

Marianne Faithfull:  Broken English (1979) - Parts and tracks not listed.  Steve
played keyboards on "Broken English" (from Marianne Faithfull with David
Dalton, _Faithfull_, 1994).  In another biography, Marianne said that Steve
worked in some way on every track of the album, and that it was actually more
his album than hers, because she was still using and was not available for much
of anything.  When she quit using, she realized what had happened and became
so angry with Steve that she refused to credit him or even speak to him.
(Thanks to BobbieG.)

Jim Capaldi:  Prince Of Darkness (1993) - Compilation, includes four session
tracks from previous albums:  "Old Photographs" (1981), "Tonight You're
Mine" (1983), "That's Love" (1983), and "Some Come Running" (1988).  Also
includes the new version of "Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys" (1981).
(Thanks to Keith at olive@mnhep1.hep.umn.edu)

Shawn Phillips:  Contribution (1970) - Steve is not credited on the album, but a
Rolling Stone magazine article credited him with playing piano on "For RFK,
JFL And MLK" (thanks to Les Jacobson at lesterjake@aol.com).  Steve played
organ on "Man Hole Covered Wagon" (from Marc Roberty, _Eric Clapton:
The Complete Recording Sessions, 1963-1992_, 1993).  On Second
Contribution (1971), Steve is listed as having played on the 1970 effort, but no
details are provided (thanks to Keith at olive@mnhep1.hep.umn.edu).

Viv Stanshall:  Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead (1974) - Steve played bass,
guitar and organ.  Tracks not listed.  (Thanks to Les Jacobson)

Viv Stanshall:  Sir Henry At Rawlinson End (1978) - Steve played piano and
celeste on "Aunt Florrie's Waltz", celeste on "Interlewd", banjolin on
"Wheelbarrow", pipe organ on "The Rub", piano on "Nice And Tidy",
minimoog and organ on "Smeeton", mandolin on "The Fool And Bladder",
accordion and mandolin on "Endroar", minimoog and banjolin on "Rawlinsons
And Maynards", balalaika on "Papadumb".  (From a transcription by David
Evers on the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band site at
http://www.anglia.ac.uk/~systimk/music/bonzos/index.html)

Soulsister:  Heat (1990) - Steve played Hammond organ on "Sweet Dreamer".
 (From Geert Pauwels' Soulsister web site at
http://members.aol.com/geert1302/soulsister/index.htm, and thanks to Makoto
Hamabe at hamabe@nifs.ac.jp from Smiling Phases volume 32)

Thanks once more to everyone who's contributed.

From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 11:00:50 -0700
Subject: Birthday Greetings at last!

I sent the birthday greetings snail mail today, and you can see the results on the
web-site at  http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/birthday.htm

It was a simpler format this year, due to the number of messages  I got.  Thanks
to all!

From: MAttorney@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 17:01:59 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Steve's NY concert dates

Late Sunday, May 11th, I heard on the radio that Steve was having three
concert dates in Manhattan...June 4th, 5th and 6th....at the Irving Plaza.
 Tickets went on sale on Monday May 12th at 12 noon.  I was at our local
Ticket Master at 11:40 AM and turned out to be the first person on line for
them...so I had no trouble getting tickets.  I haven't heard anything else so
I don't know whether or not they sold out.

I'm really excited about the concert.  But I have a question.  I've never
heard of Irving Plaza, much less been there, so I haven't a clue what it's
like.  All I was able to find out is that it's a club.  I would be interested
in knowing whether any of the subscribers have ever been there and if they
could  give me a description of the place.

Maria

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:59:11 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: SW's new disc

Japanese releases of non-Japanese artists often have extra tracks. But I could
not expect that would happen to SW's disc!  I have just called the record
company to make sure the info and found that the release date is no later than
28th and the extra track is 'Come Out And Dance,' which is of course already
on Refugees of  The Heart.  Although they gave me no detailed info about it, as
you can imagine it must be a different version - re-mixed or extended or live or
acoustic or instrumental or whatever.

All of a sudden I find myself in a reverse position! I will take it a kind of honor
to be the first of the list members to give a listen to the brand new disc and
write a review. Coooool!!!

Before your ordering a copy of the Japanese release, let me tell you if it's worth
paying for. Maybe collectors tend to get everything they are crazy about,
though... If some of the list members want to get a copy  of the Japanese
release, I will be of help so that they won't have to pay too much extra bucks
only for a disc. I am very experienced in doing this because I have sent nearly
100 copies of CDs, lazerdiscs and videos released only in Japan to other list
members so far. It will cost US$30 to send a copy including the shipping cost,
which I am sure is much cheaper than to get ones through their local shops or
major online shops like CDNow. My parents won't complain about buying
some CDs and shipping small parcels on their way back from work.

Hisao Chida

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Fri, 16 May 1997 14:58:32 +0000
From: Humphrey Keenlyside
Subject: Re: "Spy" on the radio

I know this doesn't count in your competition, but I heard Spy in the House of
Love this morning on Virgin Radio in the UK.  It sounded rather more tame
than his live version, but quite catchy all the same.

Incidentally, it is not the first time that the theme has been used.  The DJ said
that Was Not Was did something similar, and one of my favourite Doors tracks
is called The Spy (on Morrison Hotel), with the first line "I am a spy in the
house of love/I know the dreams that you're dreaming of".  Still, that's the
lyricist's fault, not SW's.

Best,
Humphrey

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: RSMarcolin@aol.com
Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 13:01:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Virgin Superstore???

Greetings all!

I'm one of the biggest "early twenty something" Steve fans who hasn't written
in for a while because (as I told Craig Louden) I can barely afford to eat after
college, never mind buy a computer (I'm using my parents' now).  Now I'm
living down in NYC and loving every minute of it (Going to the June 5th show
at the Irving!!!) except that this so-called Virgin Super store in Times Square
has our main man on the bottom of a shelf and they only carry "Smiling
Phases" (the compilation) and no SDG to boot.  I hope they help out by
advertising his new album when it hits the stores or I'm going to lead  a
protest march....do you think anyone will notice in Times Square???

See you at the show.....Bob Marcolini

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "Elena Iglio"
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 03:04:57 +0200

I'm on contemporary rock band Alice In Chains' mailing list, "Angry Chair",
that has thousands of subscribers (much more than us...). The subscribers are
mostly in their 20's and very much into heavy metal/post-grunge bands. But
there was a 25 -all time best albums between Angry Chair'ers, and.... I'm
sending you the results and the comment I sent the list afterwards... THERE IS
HOPE AFTER ALL SP MATES..... TRUST THE NEW GENERATIONS and
see what bands are enduring the test of time....(Traffic, Pink Floyd and
Beatles only of the 60- early 70 generation...)

(Ahem....this is not to re-open old wounds, but...do you see any Stones records
there?;-)

Ellie

----------

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:50:21 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Japanese release and sheet music

Japanese Keyboard Magazine published a very detailed sheet music of Higher
Love on its June 1996 issue in celebration of SW's coming to Japan and his
performance of the song with Nile Rodgers, Bernard Edwards, and Slash.

If you are interested in this sheet music, send me your postal address.  I will
make you photocopies of it. I think this is very helpful for those people who
want to make a MIDI file of the song or perform it with a band. Every time I
find midi files of other musicians' songs on the net, I feel like making ones of
our hero's songs myself.

Hisao Chida

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 07:22:57 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Winwood concerts etc

There are 3 bits to this e-mail, which should be of interest:

1) SW concert in Birmingham (1st May)
I went to this one on my own!  A pal of mine (who is a real SW fan) was "not
allowed by a certain person" to go to this !!!!!  I drove the 90 miles from
Warrington to Birmingham and arrived at the Irish Centre about 7:20 pm.
 After a quick Coca-cola I joined the queue.  The doors opened at 8:00 pm.  I
took up my position right in front of the stage.  After an hours' wait, the
band came on stage.  Steve was last to appear (wearing black trousers, some
sort of vest/t-shirt and an open purple shirt.  After a few smiles, Steve sat
at the Hammond and the band started "I'm a man"  -  at times this had echoes
of Chicago's version, with SW's sax/trumpet duo - this was a stunning start,
perfect!  I was stood about 7 or 8 feet from SW throughout the show  - there
is definitely grey around his temples (not much) , but he's not getting fat
and doesn't look too old.  The set followed the listing in SP 74 exactly.
 Steve did not seem in the least nervous.  At one point, his guitar seemed to
pack-up and he asked the band player to do the solo. Steve dedicated "Family
Affair" to Bernard Edwards (recently deceased). The Irish Centre is only
small and was very crowded,  but it was a thoroughly excellent concert!
 Running time = 1 1/2 hours (no support).

2) SW on UK Radio/TV
On Saturday (17 May) Steve was interviewed on Radio2's Steve Wright show (a
snippet of "Hole in my shoe" was played during the welcome!!!) ; and he played
live (Spy..., Angel..., and Keep on Running) on Jools Holland's TV "Later",
which I taped. As well as Junction 7 being Steve's 7th solo album, it is also the
turn-off on the M6 Motorway which leads to Birmingham Perry Barr, Steve's
old home. Bet you didn't know that!

3) Bits & Pieces
Re SP 75 (Item 4 : MOJO)  I think Steve says "take" rather than "Dave".

That's all for now , except ....

A further UK concert has been announced, Manchester Opera House on
Thursday 22 May - I'll be there!!

Mike.