From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Winwood collaborations (continued)
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 19:53:21 +0200

Here's more for you.....

John Martyn -Inside out(73)
Shawn Phillips - Faces (73)
Muddy Waters - London revisited (74)
Jade Warrior Waves (75)
Toots and the Maytals Reggae Got Soul (77)
Sandy Denny Rendezvous (77)
John Martyn One World (77)
I Jahman Haile I hymn (78)
M. Faithfull Dangerous Acquaintances (81)
Christine McVie - self titled (84)
Talk Talk The Colour of Spring (86)
Tina Turner Break Every Rule (86)
Billy Joel The Bridge (86)
Dave Mason -2 Hearts (87)
VV.AA. Two Rooms Burn Down the Mission ( w. Phil Collins) (91)

Jim Capaldi - Short Cut Draw Blood (Keep on Trying  piano, organ,
Goodbye Love piano, bass, organ guitar).
Boy with a Problem (synthesizer),
Seagull (ac.guitar, mellotron, harps.)
Living on a Marble (bass) (75)
Whale Meat Again (Summer is Fading - organ/bass)
It's Alright (pipe organ) (74)
Marianne Faithfull Broken English (79) produced it also Why d'ya do it
(organ)
Gong - Downwind (79)

The tracks he's on in Jim's Some Come Running are Some Come Running
(sings , keyboards), Something so strong ( keyboards.).

On Jim's Oh, How we Danced (72): Eve (organ) Love is all you can try (guitar),
Open Your Heart (organ, vocals)

Fierce Heart (83) That's love (vocal, synthesizer), Living on the Edge
(Synthesizer, guitar), Tonight You're Mine (guitar, synthesizer) Bad Breaks
(vocals, guitar solo, synthesizer) Runaway (vocals Organ Piano), Back at my
place (Synthesizer) I'll Always be your fool (Synthesizer) Don't let them control
you (synthesizer, guit) Gifts of Unknown things (vocals marimba) .
PRACTICALLY ALL TRACKS ON THE RECORD!!!

Should you need any help anytime I WILL BE HERE....

From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Covers
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 19:58:44 +0200

As for Winwood/SDG/Traffic/BF covers, I hope you still didn't hear of these:
"Gimme Some Loving" Thunder ,1990
"Can't find my way home" - House of Lords - 1991

Got the videos - Bleah!

"No Face No Name No Number" Pete Townshend live at the Roundhouse 1974
(wonderful!)

A question for SP members: What do you think is the best cover??  To me
Pete's "No Face" and Joe Cocker's "Feelin' Alright". What do you think????

From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 May 1997 21:34:06 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Tickets to go on sale for new LA dates

Tickets will go on sale through Ticketmaster on May 18th for the confirmed
newly changed LA club dates.  Those dates are June 9th thru the 11th (still at
the Roxy Theater).

Craig

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 23:03:04 -0400
From: speakershop
Subject: MOJO Article

Have you read the MOJO article about SW?  Some interesting stuff in there.
Specifically, SW discusses leaving TRAFFIC in 69.  Seems he just decided to
leave, without talking to the rest of the group.  JC had some frank comments on
SW lack of communication.  I've been listening recently to LAST EXIT and
feel the studio cuts, especially SHANGHAI NOODLE FACTORY, show a real
evolution over earlier material. There was a wonderful loose jazzy thing
happening, with some really tasty playing from CW.  I don't think the boys
ever played better together.  BTW the credits on MEDICATED GOO don't
show Dave Mason as playing on the cut, but one of the solos sounds a lot like
his playing, and it sounds as if SW says "Dave" before the second solo.  GOO
was always one of TRAFFICS favorites to perform in concert, but I've never
seen any live version of SHANGHAI.

MOJO article also makes mention of SW aborted first solo album, MAD
SHADOWS.  It was referred to as a unreleased classic of some sort!
Apparently Steve did a number of songs with producer Guy Stevens, besides
STRANGER, and EVERY MOTHERS SON, and didn't like the direction
the songs had taken.  SW then got TRAFFIC back together and the rest is
history!  This post BLIND FAITH period seemed to be a succession of
unfinished projects.(i.e., the unreleased 11/70 live album, the Dave Mason re-
union, the unfinished NEVERTHELESS film score in Morocco.) The Mason
re-appearance always seemed strange.  A ROLLING STONE article from 1971
quoted DM as being unable to cope with the bands irregular work schedule, and
being fed up with the lack of direction.  Apparently there wasn't a lot of
communication going on between the members of the group, and yet the music
from this period has stood the test of time.

As an aside TRAFFIC may have seemed disorganized and unfocused ,but that's
exactly what made them so interesting.  The band just didn't give a shit about
anything but the music, there were no commercial or business considerations.

Sorry to ramble so much about the past, but I'm fascinated by all the
history.

GUY

[Before everyone jumps up and emails me, I think I'll point out now that "Mad
Shadows" became "John Barleycorn".  --BG]

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 07:14:31 -0700
Subject: Community News

I have always been pretty rigorous about screening off-topic posts out of SP, but
a thought has occurred to me.  In order to help develop more of a sense of
community, a sense of who we are, I would like to start posting, maybe once a
month or so, a "Community News" section.  I know one Subscriber who has a
new baby, another with one on the way, one who's getting married shortly, and
I had a death in my family; I would like to gather all those bits and put them
into *one* post regularly.  So send me your news, and let's try this!

Bobbie (who can't help being a little nosy and assumes everyone else is the
same way)

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 07:28:59 -0700
Subject: Re: Muriel Wood

A Subscriber who wishes to remain anonymous writes:

" Muriel Wood has recovered from the worst of her illness and is now in a
nursing home - a very beautiful Georgian house in the country - where she's
looked after by a personal therapist. Her daughter Stephanie didn't like the
hospitals. Muriel seems not to be aware she's left her home. Stephanie is
actually keeping that home for the summer and told me, "We could decide to
rent it as a B&B for Traffic fans!" She has a great sense of humor."

Stephanie was told about the post in SP and she asked our Subscriber to thank
us for all the good wishes.

Very welcome news indeed!

Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 21:59:11 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Mystery sessions

While i was answering Steve about SW's sessions , i remembered that there
were a lot of them out of print and not on CD, for example in an Rock &Roll
yearbook, there is a positive citation that Steve played on James Brown's 1986
stuff Gravity'   also considering Viv Stanshall, he did not play on Teddy boys,,,
i am 99% sure , if i read the booklet , loud and clear, oh by the way  talking
about Viv, it has been 1.5 years since his death, for the ones who do not know
Steve played "Londonderry Air" on Acoustic guitar at his funeral in front of his
2 wives, (uhhh what a treat!!)

Anybody hearing any other rumours, and How come none of our English
friends not writing their comments on " Stanley Road" by Paul Weller,,,

Berkin

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 May 1997 17:40:30 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Steve Touring

When Steve comes out of hibernation he's a contender for the hardest working
man in show business.

This from the new Rolling Stone: Rod Stewart, Steve Winwood, k.d. lang, Jon
Bon Jovi and Seal will headline Songs and Visions, an Aug. 16 concert at
London's Wembley Stadium that will have these artists performing classic pop,
rock and R&B songs backed by a 50-piece orchestra. The set list is secret,
but organizers promise everything from Elvis Presley to Oasis. Look for the
event to be televised here, in the U.S., on a major network.

Arnie

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: Stevsmith1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 21:13:40 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Sessions Listing

Here are some of the early responses for the Sessions poll posted in the last
issue.  I also pulled out one thing from an old SP issue.  So far, we've resolved
the mystery of the 1978 Jim Capaldi albums, and found that Winwood isn't
actually on one of the titles listed by Chris Welch.  That's a pretty good start!
I'm still looking for info on some titles (see below), so keep the e-mail coming!

- Jim Capaldi:  The Contender (UK, 1978), Daughter Of The Night (US, 1978)
It turns out that these are basically the same album.  Tracks on TC are:
Dirty Business *
Sealed With A Kiss *
Daughter Of The Night
You Burned Me
Game Of Love *
The Contender
Elixir Of Life
Short Ends
Hunger And Greed

Asterisked tracks are replaced on DOTN by "A Good Love", "Stay With You",
and "I'm Gonna Do It".  Steve played lead guitar solo on DOTN's "I'm Gonna
Do It", but isn't on TC.  (Thanks to Berkin Altinok  and Elena Iglio for TC
info.)

- Jim Capaldi:  Let The Thunder Cry (1981) - Steve played synthesizer on "Old
Photographs".  (Thanks to Berkin Altinok)

- Julie Covington:  Julie Covington (1973) - Steve played Hammond organ on
Sandy Denny's "By the Time It Gets Dark", Danny Kortchmar's "Sip the
Wine", recorded by Rick Danko, and Steve's "Let Me Make Something in Your
Life". (Thanks to Makoto Hamabe at hamabe@nifs.ac.jp, from SP#35.)

- Viv Stanshall:  Teddy Boys Don't Knit (1981) - This title is listed in Chris
Welch's biography _Steve Winwood:  Roll With It_ (1989), but Steve isn't
listed in the credits of the CD. (Thanks to Berkin Altinok)

Following are the titles I still need information for.  If you have any of these,
please let me know what Steve's contribution was, by track, if listed.  If his
parts or the tracks aren't listed, let me know that, too!

Jim Capaldi:  Prince of Darkness (1993)
Fania All Stars:  Fania All Stars (1975) - this is before _Delicate And Jumpy_!
Gordon Jackson:  Thinking Back (1969)
* Reg King:  Reg King (1971)
Soulsister:  Heat (1991)
Alan Merrill:  Alan Merrill (1985)
Shawn Phillips:  Contribution (1970)
Viv Stanshall:  Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead (1974)
Viv Stanshall:  Sir Henry At Rawlinson End (1978)
* Writz:  Writz (1979)

* - These are from Terry Hounsome's _Rock Record, 3rd Edition_ (1987), but
has anyone seen or heard of these albums anywhere else?

Thanks again to everyone who's e-mailed so far.

From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 04:42:02 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: An observation: No Traffic on Paul's set list from England

I thought it was unusual that the set list Paul sent from England did not include
any Traffic songs at all.   However the set list does include 3 Spencer Davis
songs, which is good.   I will still enjoy this show very much if it stays the same
but "Low Spark" is a SW signature song.  It would be kind of like seeing
McCartney not doing any Beatle songs.

Craig

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 10:05:07 -0700
Subject: Review of Birmingham concert

One of our Subscribers has a good  friend who went to the Birmingham
concert, and this is our Subscriber's report: (I have changed some words and
taken out the names to ensure everyone's privacy on this.)

"She told me that SW concert was not great, it was OUT OF SIGHT, with
people dancing, great performances especially of "Family affair".  She didn't
know about the record and the credits.  On "Plenty of loving" she commented,
"It seems he has a female vocalist in the band", don't know if it could be
Des'ree; and "Gotta get back..." made people dance! She said Randall
Bramblett was in the band and that she talked at length to him backstage; she's
always told me he's a fantastic guy and very spiritual too.  And the band was
GREAT and the atmosphere filled with joy!!! She met Steve backstage and told
me "He looks great as ever, not a day older, not an ounce fatter, not a gray hair
(WHO TOLD US ABOUT GRAY TEMPLES AND HIS GETTING FAT ON
HONOURS??); and more, he's kept his sense of humour despite living in
Tennessee now". No offense, her words.  It seems that his home in
Gloucestershire is now run by his secretary Nobby Clarke, an ex-Traffic roadie.
Then Jim Capaldi invited her and her husband to his home for her birthday on
June 15th. They asked Steve too, a bit of a Traffic reunion, but he won't be in
England by then as he's touring... I'll report to you about the meeting later.
Capaldi is great FUN!!"

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From:             MomeyKate@aol.com
Date sent:        Mon, 12 May 1997 09:53:33 -0400 (EDT)
Subject:          Contest Winner

Heard Spy in the House of Love for first time at 8:48 AM Mon May 12 (SW
Birthday) on 92 KQRS Minneapolis- after commercial during the Morning
show with Tom Bernard.  New rock from Junction 7 a great new song an
exclusive on KQ- (Bernard said after the song)

Probably didn't win, but was fun to hear it!

As always,

Mary from MN   Happy Birthday SW!

[And Mary wins our Contest!  Congratulations!  As her prize, since she already
has a couple of SP tee-shirts, Mary has asked me to make copies of 1 or 2 of my
bootlegs for her.  We have more contests in mind, so keep reading!  --BG]