From: jms38@cornell.edu
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 15:19:21 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: VH1 Honors Concert

Even though I am leaving college for the summer, and won't have email access,
I look forward to reading more mail when I return in the fall.  I am very excited
for Winwood's new album, and he was really cool on the VH1 Honors.  He was
practically in every song, playing the piano with Stevie Wonder or doing his
new material.  However, the best was Back in the High Life with James Taylor
and Sheryl Crow.  It was great publicity for the man.

jon

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 22:16:45 +0200
From: Elena Iglio
Subject: SO WHAT? There's a world outside...

I want to tell Berkin and all the others  that this IS a SW list, yes, but we should
be open to discuss -  a few posts every now and then can't do you any harm -
and confront ourselves on issues that come off from people who criticizes Steve
relating him to other musicians. The Stones discussion rose from there. I don't
like people to be close-minded and, having subscribed to another list, I can tell
you that there's a lot of intolerance and repeated subjects and purposeless
bickering because they don't have much to say left after tons and tons of praise
of their heroes and slagging  - with no constructive discussion and exchange of
opinions - the ones who post saying that they don't like them.

Discussions always stems from our hero, but you must feel free to go off on a
tangent - provided that this doesn't last forever, of course - and share opinions
on other groups or subject that anyway relate to Steve's generation. Otherwise
we will end up labeling our posts with *winwood* or *non-winwood* tags, like
I saw on other lists. How sad! I think we are adults - and our  SP *kids* are
very intelligent and mature I am happy to say - and should be more balanced
and open-minded people.

BTW did you know that Steve and Chris loved Lennon-McCartney and Jim
Capaldi loved the Stones more????

A big thanks for all those who are helping in getting Traffic inducted in the
Hall of Fame. Come on guys and gals, help Angie, for the guys deserve it, don't
they???

With love
Ellie

[Also, remember this list is heavily moderated, I make up some of the Subject
lines myself, and I try not to let things get out of hand.  Some of you know that
I have rejected posts as being off-topic, that's always an option for me.  --BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: JJPollard@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 19:10:30 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: MomeyKate's Dave Mason Comments

Dave WAS touring with the latest configuration of Ringo's All-Star Band.
Check Ringo's Home Page. Dave has already dropped out "for personal
reasons."  Oh well.

Greetings from Lowell, Massachusetts!
Jim Pollard

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: JPatGray@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 11:12:23 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: I wish I were still that young

Mary wrote:
"After reading Eric's bit about the youngest in this group of SW appreciators, I
realized that I found SW music about the same time.  The on difference is, I am
probably one of the oldest members of this group."

I first heard about Traffic at 13, also, though I was already listening to the
Spencer Davis Group.  I saw the Jeff Beck Group - with Rod Stewart and Ron
Wood - in 1968 in Houston, TX.  The girl sitting next to me had just returned
from England, and saw Traffic there, and was raving about them.  I went out
the next day and bought the Traffic album (as we used to call it).  I saw all the
subsequent incarnations of Traffic - from a three man to a eight man band.  My
all time favorite show, however, was Winwood, Capaldi and Wood on the John
Barleycorn tour.  And nearly 30 years later, I'm still listening.

Patrick

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 21:04:28 +0200
From: Elena Iglio
Subject: Winwood plays Italy!!!!!!!!

Dear Boss and Dear All,

He comes to Pistoia (Florence) on July 6th and will play with Italian so-called
rockstar (jerk) Zucchero. A friend of mine is already busy getting me tickets
and we're definitely going. He is sending me the Mojo article also!!!!

Well, it is a WONDERFUL ending to a WONDERFUL day and I wanted to
share my joy with you all!!! after 23 years, here he's back into my life again,
and I'm so glad!!!!!!

Love all the world,

ELLIE

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Angie C  "
Subject: Need Some Action!
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 22:25:42 -0400

I just want to ask everyone in 'SP' one question.  Do you want Steve/Traffic
inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame? Did I hear you say "YES"??
Great, now just follow the instructions below:

1.	Go to Http://www.rockhall.com.
2.	Click on "Speak Your Mind".
3.	Click on "The Inductees Forum"
4.	Page all the way down to #239.
5.	Click on #239 (Steve Winwood)
6.	Page down to "Add Message".
7.	Click on "Add Message".
8.	Put in your "Title".
9.	Go down & Click "Smart Text"
10.	Page down to "Enter Your Message"
11.	Type your message here.
12.	Page down & pick "Kind of Message"
13.	Skip 'User ID & Password.
14.	Page down & put in E-mail address.
15.	Put in your name (optional).
16.	Click on 'Preview' to check over your message.
17.	Click on 'Post' (Just click once)
18	Wait a few seconds then 'Go back & see your Title appear.
(Be sure and print this just in case you can't post right away)

I can't wait to see all your postings.  Thanxs so much for your help. Take
care.

Angie ooo

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 23:13:13 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Interesting Steve mention

I found this one in Monday, May 5th, Kansas City Star.  The only reason it
caught my attention was because of the picture of Steve.  (Reprinted without
permission)

"Doctor sounds decibel warning about rock concert noise levels"
by Bob Condor (Chicago Times)

Steve Winwood is one performer who gets his share of air time on Chicago's
WLIT-FM, which is meant not so much as an indictment as an indication that
his brand of rock music is easier on the ears than some.  But is it really?

"You wouldn't associate Steve Winwood with loudness," said Ronald A.
Hoffman, director of otology (diseases of the ear) at New York University
Medical Center.  "But I went to one of his shows a couple of years ago and the
speakers were stacked practically to the ceiling.  The sound was so loud, there
was pain in my ears after 15 minutes.  I had to leave"

And then it goes on and on about hearing loss, etc.  I just thought it was an
interesting mention.  I thought it was also kinda funny....you'd think that this
guy, being a director of otology, would take ear plugs to concerts and this
wouldn't be a problem...  But, "that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Andrea

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 23:28:11 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Scholarly SP

Dan wrote:
"But, I really enjoy seeing the product of someone's work hard at digging up
facts and presenting material that is not generally known or available.  No, this
doesn't have to be a PhD dissertation - but the authors of research oriented
should have a forum... Anyhow, I hope this helps - maybe it still sounds like a
"joke", but I have been working on a longish piece on unreleased music of
Traffic that I hoped could start things off.  Please feel free to email me or post
SP with comments / suggestions."

No hard feelings, friend. I would very much like to see your piece on Traffic's
unreleased music. If others are inclined to participate in a more scholarly effort,
more power to them. I suppose my reaction is that of an overworked, middle
aged guy with kids who loves to read about his favorite bands and find a forum
for shouting, "I love this" or "I can't stand that" without having to necessarily
provide an analysis.

But if you and other readers are so inclined, be my guest. (Well, actually
Bobbie's guest, like the rest of us).

Arnie

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:03:14 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Billboard review response

under Adult Contemporary:  I just don't want Steve "lumped" in with Michael
Bolton!  That wouldn't be sooo funny...  ;-)

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 09:44:12 -0500 (CDT)
From: Mary Kulhanek
Subject: Re: Junction 7 release announced

Much to my amazement, I received a flyer from a local store (it sells CDs,
books, rents videos, etc) advertising SW's new CD.  It will be available locally
May 20.  It's the first time I've seen local advertising for SW.  Was excited to
see the publicity.  Guess even fellow Nebraskans are appreciating his talents.

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 14:36:15 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: SW set list from England club dates

Here is the set list for SW's club dates in England (Oxford and London)-

I'm a Man, Roll With It, Let your Love Come Down, While You See a Chance,
Spy in the House of Love, Angel of Mercy, Got to Get Back to my Baby, Family
Affair, Plenty Lovin', Just Wanna Have Some Fun, Keep on Running, Higher
Love, Back in the High Life Again, and of course, Gimme Some Lovin'...  Paul
said first show in Oxford, Steve was nervous.  The second show in London was
better- with Steve more relaxed and enjoying himself!  Naturally the music was
always good.

Mary from MN

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 03:31:41 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Dave Mason a no show in Ringo's All Starr Band

Dave Mason was supposed to be in Ringo's All Starr Band when I saw the show
last Saturday night but something happened.  A newspaper ad dated 3-21-97,
which I still have, listed Dave as being in the band as did recent posts here in
SP.  A more recent ad of this last weekend however did not list his name.
Mason's name was not on the T-shirts either.  Other audience members, heard
talking in the area, were unhappy he did not perform.  Anybody know what
happened?  I would like to know.

It was a fantastic show!  Gary Brooker did "A Whiter Shade of Pale" & other
Procol Harum classics.  I closed my eyes during "A Whiter Shade of Pale" - it
sounded so much like Steve especially with the Hammond B3 behind Gary.
Someone had this song on their SW wish list.  I recommend they see this show
if they can.  It would be much too close to the original if SW did this song -
besides Steve has so many better songs of his own that I would rather hear in
concert.

Ringo was predictably great.  He did Beatle classics like "Yellow Submarine" &
"Boys".  He also did some of his solo hits like "Photograph" & "The Greatest".
Peter Frampton stole the show with his hits like "Do You Feel"  & "Show Me
the Way".  Jack Bruce did Cream classics like "White Room" & "I Feel Free".
Simon Kirke did "All Right Now" & other Bad Company songs.

Another great night of rock!

Craig

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13
From: Stevsmith1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 23:38:05 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Got Sessions?  We Need Your Help!

With Bobbie's assistance, I'm putting together a comprehensive listing of
Winwood's session work on disc for either the Smiling Phases archives or the
High Life site.  There are a few titles that neither Bobbie nor I have.  If you
have any of them or otherwise have reliable information, please e-mail me
directly.  I'm looking for what parts (organ, vocal, etc.) Steve played on what
tracks, and I'll post the results in SP.  Contributions used will of course be
credited!

Jim Capaldi:  Let The Thunder Cry (1981)
Jim Capaldi:  Prince Of Darkness (1993)
Julie Covington:  Julie Covington (1973)
Fania All Stars:  Fania All Stars (1975)
Gordon Jackson:  Thinking Back (1969)
Reg King:  Reg King (1971)
Soulsister:  Heat (1991)
Alan Merrill:  Alan Merrill (1985)
Shawn Phillips:  Contribution (1970)
Viv Stanshall:  Men Opening Umbrellas Ahead (1974)
Viv Stanshall:  Sir Henry At Rawlinson End (1978)
Viv Stanshall:  Teddy Boys Don't Knit (1981)
Writz:  Writz (1979)

I'd also like to clarify the differences (if any) between two other Jim Capaldi
titles.  _The Contender_ and _Daughter Of The Night_ were both released in
1978 in the UK and US, respectively, and appear to be the same basic album.
DOTN's tracks are:

A Good Love
Daughter of the Night
Stay With You
You Burned Me
I'm Gonna Do It - Steve plays lead guitar solo
Elixir Of Life
Short Ends
Hunger And Greed
The Contender

Anyone know the tracks and Steve's participation on _The Contender_?

Thanks in advance!

From: Scott Tribble
Subject: Another cover of Spencer Davis Group