From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: GIMME SHELTER and your age
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 04:37:28 +0200

I probably knew by memory, saw the movie and loved GIMME SHELTER
before you were born, kiddo!  That was one of the great tracks I was
mentioning in my post... My favourite is MIDNIGHT RAMBLER.  The fact
that you are SO young explains many things about your post and calmed me
down about you.

 My opinion on the Stones never changed since the Sixties. You may be a good
band and write great numbers but you won't change history at the same time.
And I heard a lot of better guitars than Richards, he was just a good riffer in my
opinion, but his live performances shout REVENGE to the skies above!! (I
guess because he hardly had a clue of where he was)

It is anyway an opinion, a question of tastes and I accept you like the Stones
and consider Winwood a whiner as you should accept mine, remembering I'm
twice your age.

From: "Angie C"
Subject: Re: Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:30:18 -0400

I am going to stress 'Traffic with Steve's name after it cause Traffic is eligible
and Steve is not, as yet.  Also with Traffic being part of the exhibit it would all
tie in.

The inductees banquet is in May and then they start working on the following
year's inductees.  I am going to the opening of the exhibit on May 10th.  I am a
member and I received an invitation.  I will let you know how it is.  [I have
heard] that Traffic sent a couple of jackets.  I hope they sent over more than
that for the exhibit.  Anything you want to know about the R&RHOF just let me
know.  I've been a member since it opened and have been there 3 times already
and I don't even live in the same state.

Take care, Angie

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 15:41:24 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Stones, and mailbombing threat
From: Kathy Brooks

I will say that this debate about the Rolling Stones is getting somewhat drawn
out.  Music is all a matter of personal preference and identification. If you
identify with it, chances are you will like it, whatever.  It also depends upon
when you grew up.  One of my all-time favorite bands (all you Brits should be
familiar with these guys) is Go West.  And, oddly enough I've noticed a pattern
that almost all my favorite artists are Englishmen (SW, Sting, GW, Robert
Palmer - yes, I know he moved a lot, etc.).  Tres bizarre!  I guess it must be my
English heritage or a previous life, who knows?  In my eyes, however, as
opinionated as they are, who cares. Everyone's entitled to having and
expressing an opinion and if you don't agree, so what!  Sometimes it's just
interesting and even enlightening to hear another perspective.

So, I'm glad that person is no longer a subscriber.  We don't need
degenerates like that hanging with us.  He/she/it needs to get a life.

Big Hug, Bobbie!

[Let me just say, thanks to Kat and all the rest of you who sent in your concerns
for me.  Hey, I'm fine, I was just warning you guys!    -BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 19:45:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert W. Hall"
Subject: Re: Youthful SW fans

I'm pleased to see the posts from all the younger SW/Traffic fans.  I'm 26, and
got hooked on Winwood and then Traffic as a 10-year old lad in 1980 when I
first heard 'While You See A Chance'.  When I was in high school, Back in the
High Life was very popular with me and my friends (a clique of intellectual
'yuppies in training' ;-)  We had 'Higher Love' as our Prom theme song in '87.

 During my high school and college  years, as my interest in music blossomed--
I discovered  Winwood and Traffic, Eric Clapton of all eras, Joe Cocker, Peter
Gabriel, Phil Collins, Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music, Dire Straits, Pink Floyd,
Kate Bush, Stevie Ray Vaughan, U2, Sting, Robbie Robertson, David Bowie,
Bruce Cockburn and many others..

 I never really got into 'grunge' or rap, preferring the above and a select few of
the more recent musicians-- Tori Amos (brilliant songwriter and pianist), Bruce
Hornsby, Alison Krauss, Keb' Mo', Sarah McClachlan..

 I think one of Winwood/Traffic's strengths is the quality of his musicianship
appeals to listeners who crave quality of all generations.  My sister, 39, is a big
fan, as are my parents (in their '70s--they have been SW fans since 'Gimme
Some Lovin' way back when..).

Looking forward to  Junction 7 and hopefully seeing him in concert.  I saw him
on the  'High Life' tour and 'Far From Home' w/ Capaldi--..he was phenomenal
live..

--Rob

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: jpereira@correo.recol.es (juan jose pereira)
Subject: Empty pages
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 12:37:17 +0200

I have a CD boot with this name recorded live in London, June 5,1973,
(according to the credits) in no specified place. The sound is very good,
sometimes excellent, probably it's a soundboard recording.  The performance is
excellent as we can expect from this mature band (in that year) with a lot of
improvs.  There is no notes about the line up.

The set list is:

John Barleycorn
Shoot at the fantasy factory
Glad
Freedom rider
Every mother's son
Low sparks of high heeled boys
Pearly queen
Empty pages
Who knows what tomorrow may bring
Medicated goo
Total time - 60.44

Interested?  E-mail me at jpereira@servcoiae.recol.es

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 12:04:00 -0400
From: Ed
Subject:  VH1 Electric Ladyland special

Did you see the VH1 classic album special, about Jimi Hendrix, Electric
Ladyland? Really interesting! There was an interview with SW, about the
recording of Voodoo Chile, as well as comments about Hendrix wanting to
form a band with SW.  A friend of JH, Velvet Turner said JH was always
talking about calling SW to get together.  Mitch  Mitcell also said that SW was
held in very high regard by the Experience and they would have loved to have
him in the group!  Also, a rare photo of Hendrix jamming with Traffic, at a
sound check for a show they did together. Eddie Kramer, the producer of
Ladyland (as well as Mr. Fantasy) in one quote from the Hendrix book
"Sessions" said that when JH and SW got together, SW was one of the few
musicians who could keep up and propel JH to his best. Perhaps SW was loathe
to enter in to another supergroup after the Blind Faith experiment. Could you
imagine the hype surrounding a band with them together!

Guy

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Mary Katsikas"
Date:          Thu, 1 May 1997 16:38:16 EST
Subject:       Re: Youthful fans

After reading Eric's bit about the youngest in this group of SW appreciators, I
realized that I found SW music about the same time.  The only difference is, I
am probably one of the oldest members of this group.  Of course, I am not
telling my age.  I first heard "High Life" on my local radio station and really
liked who I thought was a young Aussie.  It took me over a year to find the
album, cassette or CD of "High Life" at any of the record stores after I found
out who SW was and the other particulars.  Finally, the son of a friend of mine
made a cassette copy for me and the rest is history.  His later music has meant a
lot to me these past eight years.  Thanks to SP I have learned about all his early
music.

Take care,
Mary

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 May 1997 14:56:17 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Billboard Magazine reviews Spy....

Still behind on what I'd like to post to SP, but I just saw a singles review in
May 3 Billboard of "Spy in the House of Love"-

page 66- Singles (edited by Larry Flick)-

Listed under Adult Contemporary (I'm not too fond of that):

(producer, writer, publisher not listed)  Virgin 3432-cassette single

"---Winwood opens the campaign behind "Junction 7", his first album in nearly
5 years, with a finger-poppin' funk /rock ditty.  Winwood's distinctive tenor
connects with the familiarity of an old pal, and he sounds as if he's smiling
from ear to ear through the length of his performance here.  Reverent
mainstream rock programmers should be able to squeeze this one in, though its
greatest shot at success is at AC radio, where the musical parameters are a
tad broader and more welcoming to vital veterans.---"

A good review- I like the tone of it, being realistic about radio airplay yet
acknowledging the worthiness of the song and the artist!

Haven't heard it on radio yet, though.   But really haven't had time to
listen much!

As always,
Mary from MN

[Good time to add - Don't you guys forget about the contest!  See #71 for
details.  Also, has anyone heard what the 'B' side of this will be?  -BG]

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Fri, 02 May 1997 12:53:21 +1000
From: PETER NUTTALL
Subject: Re: Stones

I also believe the Stones to be very talented, both individually and as a unit. KR
is a fantastic rhythm guitarist, take Brown Sugar, Jumping Jack Flash and
Angie to name but a few. However, I agree with Ellie that their most creative
period ended with the release of Black and Blue. The  Stones, along with
Clapton, must be given credit for popularizing blues and bring it to the
mainstream (white?) music audience. While not wanting to turn SP into a
discussion forum for the Stones, I couldn't help but put my bit in.

Peter

[This is totally off-topic, but "Angie" was supposedly written about David
Bowie's wife, and I just read in the newspaper this morning that she has moved
to Tucson.  Weird.  -BG]