 11. Re: Jim Capaldi

From: "Les Jacobson"
  (with approval and additions from BobbieG)
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:21:52 -0500
Subject: "JUNCTION 7" CONTEST

ANNOUNCING A J7 CONTEST:
First person to hear a cut from the new album on the radio and post the news to
BobbieG wins a ....whatever.  Valuable Prize to be determined later.  Maybe a
tee-shirt (if you don't have one yet), maybe a bootleg, maybe ...

 Contest rules:

1) Honor system in effect

2) Winner will be the first post-er, as determined by the date-stamp on the
email header.

3) Please tell us which cut from the album you heard;  the date and time you
heard it, the city and country,  the station call-letters and format, as well as any
DJ commentary.  We'd also love to hear your reaction!

Les

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Welcome to the Canteen, boy...
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 04:56:52 +0200

I am a very old Traffic and Steve buff, 25 years of Winwood faith this year, but
I also love  Alice in Chains, Trent Reznor, Bjork, Stone Temple Pilots and can
even stand Prodigy, so you don't have to feel in "awe", in fact when the music's
good you will always recognize it whenever it has been written or performed.

As for Traffic, do start with their 2nd album, self-titled "Traffic" it is very
simple, fresh and catchy, there  is everything from rock to blues/jazz to folk to
country influences, including 40.000 Headmen which you will have heard
performed by 1994 Traffic....

You can't miss "Back in the High Life" as for Winwood solo efforts, it is not too
far from Roll with It, only less bluesy and with better lyrics.

BTW I'm only 38, not 70!!!

Love from Ellie

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: HA!!!!! Another Rolling Stoney......
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 05:17:26 +0200

Steve is a Performer and a Musician, not a lyric writer, and if "angst" can be
expressed in other ways than lyrics, HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO LISTEN
TO STEVE'S RENDITION OF "BLIND MAN" (Last Exit), "SHANGAI
NOODLE FACTORY" (same), "NO TIME TO LIVE" (Traffic),  or
"FREEDOM RIDER" (John Barleycorn Must Die), for instance?  I read once in
a review in a 1977 Melody Maker  (Arc of a Diver) that Steve can "recite from
the phone book and win converts". And have you ever DUG the sense of
impotence and frustration hidden in the sweet folky lyrics (Steve's own) to
CAN'T FIND MY WAY HOME? Well, if somebody who wrote "Low Spark of
High Heeled Boys" or wrote the music and sang just only these very songs
hasn't got the right to enter the Hall of Fame, who should? Dolores O'Riordan?
Bono?

But you Rolling Stoneys are a lost cause. We're in 1997 and you still "can't get
no satisfaction". If you knew what ANGST is you should understand why
Jagger and Richards would never and did never write songs like TIME (David
Bowie); YER BLUES  (John Lennon); I HATE MYSELF AND I WANT TO
DIE (Nirvana); HOWEVER MUCH I BOOZE and the whole
QUADROPHENIA (the Who) or "DIRT" (Alice in Chains). I quoted all the
artists - old and new -  because I  have doubts on your musical culture. Forgive
me for my harsh tone - usually I don't get THAT angry -  but the word
"whining" was what set me on fire.

I always thought, and sign my opinion, that the Stones will be forgotten or only
remembered as a cultural phenomenon as opposed to the Beatles. The Beatles
and Traffic will still be remembered in the future as True Musicians.

From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Thanks for answering
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:56:54 +0200

Les, thanks for answering my question. It was indeed interesting and
psychologically interesting to see from where we all started. I got hooked to
Steve by listening him singing Captain Walker in Tommy's Opera rendition in
1972, I simply loved the way he sang, and sought after who he was. Then
Traffic blew me away, especially The Magic Flute of Chris, my favourite.

I don't think Capaldi's lyric prevented Steve from reaching more recognition.
They were naive, simple, very hippy, some could be irritating, I agreed with a
journalist when he said that "Memories of a rock'n' rolla" could have touched a
few  raw nerves in the unemployment offices (a country house and 60 acres are
a heavy load) But I would forgive everything to the Man who wrote No face and
The Low Spark and NO TIME TO LIVE and Coloured Rain and.... do you
agree? Was Will Jennings any good at all with his soppy platitudes? Maybe
Vivian Stanshall in his madness was eligible, but (other disagreement with you)
I found "Eagle" is more depressing and depressed  Traffic album then "angst" -
I didn't appreciate the Stoney intervention at all - (like Chris said in an
interview in 1974) because of pressure on the band about the recording studio
booking.

OH LORD MY LORD is not a Winwood song but the last track on SOME
COME RUNNING, Capaldi's album of 1988. It shows you don't like old Jim. I
can assure you he's a fantastic chap and his vocals were more personal than
Dave Mason's, if anything, when you have Winwood in the Band. I personally
think Barleycorn's first side can be too much to Techno, Aaron.... Better
"Traffic" first...

Ellie

Excuse my English, I'm rather tired

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Elena Iglio"
Subject: Dave Mason The Lone Star
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:19:15 +0200

Steve, I appreciate you being a Mason fan and defending him. He was most
certainly a founder member of Traffic but not certainly the one who started the
whole thing. He was a Spencer Davis Group roadie who jammed with
Winwood after their all-nighters and most probably the idea came from
Winwood who was tired of mimicking RnB and who already knew Chris Wood
and Jim Capaldi by jamming with them in the Elbow Room club. He roped
them all in, including Dave the Roadie who jumped at the chance and probably
his being unaccustomed to success caused his "I'm Mr. Hole In My Shoe"
syndrome. Afterwards he developed a good solo career and wrote quite good
songs, but his contribution to Traffic, with two or three exceptions called
"Feeling Alright", "Crying to be heard" and "Vagabond Virgin", wasn't aimed
at the development of creativity and experimenting but rather to the Pop
Commercial Market Success (trendy fairy-tale songs and sitar - So Cool in the
60's).

Mason was always a loner, had a difficult temper and always split up  with
almost everyone he worked with, because of his addiction problems, also. I
know many artists who have had ego problems (e.g. David Bowie) with being
struck and smothered by early success, but didn't carry their blown egos
wherever they went. Pity for him, it could have been different if he had learned
more Humility and showed more "esprit de corps".   Mind you, I love his guitar
and songwriting (even if less female choirs and plain ballads would have done
him a favour), but I reckon much more was to be expected from such a big
ego.....

No offense

From: "Fischler, Sol  (NBC)"
Subject: Re: VH-1/Nostalgia/Business
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 18:58:00 -0400

Scott wrote:
"What self-respecting band of today or in a 1960's scenario would
actually appear on the unhip, out-of-touch, oldies hits channel
VH1? VH1 isn't about music, it's about business and nostalgia,
and (no offense to Steve) so was the Honors concert. The best
bands out there today are probably the ones that aren't making
any videos at all."

I don't know,  Scott,  but I seem to remember watching The Ed Sullivan Show
(unhip) with my grandmother (out of touch) and seeing the likes of the Beatles,
the Doors,  etc. etc.  I will agree with you that VH1 is about business,  but  isn't
everything nowadays?  And about nostalgia?  The audience they cater to is an
"older" generation (Lord forgive me the label) and quite frankly,  I've about had
it with spring break,  rap,  singled out game shows,  and all the other '90's
twenty-something attractions that MTV treats me to.  The special last week
called  "American Beauty",  about the Dead and that album,  was a wonderful
piece of  rock & roll  filmmaking,  and my hat's off to VH1 for it, "Storytellers",
and all the other shows they air which prove that more than just a little thought
went into the music that I respected growing up.  Who was it last issue who
said most of today's music seems to be about whining?  Amen,  and I'll take an
outlet for "intelligent" music anywhere I can get it.

And by the way,  didn't John & Yoko HOST a week of Mike Douglas?  How
unhip was that?  Right.

And don't get me started on the topic of videos...

That's it ... time to kiss the kids and play some nostalgic music from the  '60's...

-- Sol

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 21:15:46 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: "It's Like You Never Left"

In a message dated 97-04-23 11:37:09 EDT, Sol wrote:

> And while going through the racks at HMV recently,  I saw a CD by
>  Mason called "It's Like You Never Left" ( or something like that)
>  -- dated 1995 with all  sorts of great players -- Graham, Nash,
>  Radle, Keltner, Stevie Wonder etc...  Is this a "new" album or a
>  "greatest hits" collection.

It's an old album.  I've got the LP right here in my hand, dated 1973.

Andrea

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:09:38 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: How I  started and more

Well, everybody, i am 23 at the moment, i discovered Steve and his music with
"Roll with it", so I am a member of the next generation fans, when I landed on
the States back in 1990, i began collecting everything i could find, that evolved
into being a Huge "Traffic fan", so i feel that i am fully equipped to absorb all
of his music, and enjoy each and everyone of them, with the help of Steve's
music, i started collecting his sessions that enabled me to know different
musicians.  Believe me , it is very hard to collect stuff here in Turkey, so i am
very thankful to Bobbie and all of you in SP for making my dreams come true.

To let Les know " Oh lord Why Lord" is from the 1988 album of Capaldi called
"some come running", i put it in the list because of a personal matter really,
means a lot to me, and an incredible song too, Clapton delivers a very vigorous
solo, accompanied by the rhythm guitar from G. Harrison. (It is an excellent
album)

About the dispute on the Canteen, i have to say that i have both the European
and the US version of the album, the European version has the lyrics in it as
well as a smaller size of the same photos, i totally agree with Ellie that Traffic
were always the "big three" - they were the core members, i would also include
Dave as a member too, since there is a slight difference between a core member
and  a member, (Dave was in and out like a fiddlers elbow) , also I think  Ellie
notes the fact that Gordon killed his mother, this is true, also he happens to be
the richest guy in a nut house. (naturally due to Layla)

One final comment on what Scott had written, saying the best bands are the
ones who are not being commercial , this is absolutely correct, i myself get
excited when Paul Rodgers, or Alvin Lee , or Mike Scott (of the Waterboys)
records something,,

sorry for keeping it a little long....  Berkin

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 12:33:31 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: (SP 68) Winwood UK Dates

I've booked to see Winwood next Thursday in Birmingham!

Can't wait!

Mike.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 15:25:11 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Aaron Price and Rick Kilcoyne- young fans!

Thanks again, Bobbie, and SP "post-ers"  for a great read!

I would especially like to comment on the posts from Aaron Price-"A young
Winwood fan" (#11, volume 68)  asking what Traffic /earlier SW album he
should try first, and on the post from Rick Kilcoyne (#5, volume 69).

It's great to hear from 20+year old fans of Steve!  Shows individuality on
their part- speaks well of them!

I agree with Rick,  John Barleycorn Must Die is the one I would suggest Aaron
try.  And Arc of a Diver, of course.  And Aaron, how about some Spencer
Davis Group?  I don't know if you like R&B, but these earliest recordings by
SW show how talented he was at such an early age (like Kid Jonny Lang
currently).

As long as I'm commenting on younger fans and discovering Winwood music, I
might as well add how I "met" Winwood:

I was 33 years old, a new mom, with a teenage babysitter staying with us for a
couple of weeks.  She had MTV on quite a bit.  "Freedom Overspill"  was in
heavy rotation, and I thought it was a great song, and the singer was too
handsome to be believed.  (Oh well, I admit to some superficiality)  When SW
came to St. Paul in 1988 for an outdoor concert, 35,000 people including me
waited in the rain for him.  He canceled that evening's performance (electrical
hazard) and rescheduled for next day.  I was barely able to get there the next
day, but I'm glad I did!  Steve came on stage with no announcement, grinning
in sunglasses, looking 25 years old instead of forty, and opened with "Freedom
Overspill".  He proceeded to show all of us what a talented and versatile
musician he was.  I couldn't believe what I had been missing for 25 years!  And
what a joyful musical journey it has been discovering SDG, Traffic, Blind Faith
and Steve Winwood music!

Congratulations to Aaron and Rick and other younger fans for their great
taste in music and musicians!

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: "Angie"
Subject: Re: Jim Capaldi
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 13:54:29 -0400

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that.  Now I'd like to
take issue with Les on his comments about Jim Capaldi.

1. Les states that Jim's lyrics are banal if not outright insipid.  Jim's lyrics are
not dull, tasteless, commonplace or trivial. (translation of banal & insipid)  Jim
writes beautiful lyrics.  His lyrics reflect both heart and soul.  You can't get any
better than that. He is one of the hardest-working and most dedicate people in
the business today.  In a way Jim and Steve are opposites and that is a plus
because they compliment each other.  Really, Les, I think Steve himself would
take issue with that one.

2. Steve doesn't get the credit he deserves because of lack of a good lyric
partner.  Most of the songs Jim & Steve did together were hits. Steve is very
respected in the business and as far as the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, Steve will
not be eligible until 2002 and you can't blame that on Jim.

I am pleased to announce that 'Traffic' will be part of the "I Want To Take You
Higher" exhibit at the R&RHOF which open May 10th, 1997 and runs until
February 28th, 1988.

Angie