From: skaz@idcomm.com
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 21:44:40 -0700
Subject: Re: Low Spark

MHargre586@aol.com wrote:

 "From the British Music Paper "Sounds" April 22, 1972 issue :

 Jim Capaldi is being interviewed by Ray Telford -

 Q. How was "Low Spark...." chosen as an album title?
 A. (edited) from Michael J Pollard .... in Morocco .... one day MJP simply
wrote "The Low....Boys" in a book of Capaldi's.  MJP was "really hung up on
Dylan and The Band & Jesse James and all that scene".  Capaldi thought it was
a great line and wrote the song.

 Not from a real Western, but coined by a Western fan."

Thanks so much for your e-mail. I will sleep much better tonight.

But then again...what about this "medicated goo" business? Does it
mean........?

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: Redux5@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 02:35:51 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: More Honors, a couple of questions

I just got through watching the honors, and it's nice to see Steve stepping back
into the spotlight.  (Wish I could see him on one of those club dates, though).  I
was in heaven watching him and Chaka singing Higher Love.  I first became
aware of Steve when that song came out, and it's still my favorite.

I thought Nile Rodgers'  playing really made Steve's songs stand out. He made
every song sound funky, even Back In The High Life. Nice to see Steve
showcasing his guitar playing.

Now that all the information on the new album is out, I was wondering if
someone could clear a couple of things up for me. Now that we know J7 was
recorded in England  and California, what has become of the album the SW
homepage said was recorded in Nashville over the summer of '95?  Was that a
separate project that, for one reason or another, was put on the back burner?

Also, what happened to the Joe Walsh collaboration?  Is that still going to
happen?

Thanks  : )))
Dan Griffith

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:52:46 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: New idea: Scholarly Smiling Phases

Dan wrote:
" Subject: New idea: Scholarly Smiling Phases"

Dan-

Great April Fool's joke but a bit late.

Arnie

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:54:04 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Welcome to the Canteen

Just noticed something interesting about my Welcome to the Canteen CD. The
inside of the jacket has some grainy black and white photos of SW, JC, CW,
Reebop and, in my guesstimation, Dave Mason.

First, can anyone confirm that it is Mason?

If it is, does that mean that Rick Grech and Jim Gordon are only sidemen?
What was their status? I've always thought that they were full members of
Traffic, at least of that era. And why would Reebop's picture be included and
not theirs?

I know that one can say that only SW, JC and CW were "Traffic" and
everybody else was just sitting in, but I'd always thought of Grech and Gordon
as, at least temporarily, full-fledged members.

Maybe the inside cover is a slipshod arrangement. Very likely is. But does it
tell us something about the status of the various participants in the band at
that time?

Arnie

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: jsantoro@sasipos.com (Jack Santoro)
Subject: Re: Honors, and a question
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:12:56 -0400

What did you think of the VH1 Honors or should I say the VH1 Steve Winwood
Honors? I was so happy to see him perform again it almost brought tears to my
eyes. I can't wait to see him live in concert.  I have a question you might be able
to answer. I read somewhere the " I'm a Man " was originally written for a
movie but they decided to keep it for themselves. Do you happen to know what
movie it was written for?

Thanks,
Jack

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Vockeroth, Adrian"
Subject: Two comments items from the last Smiling Phases
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:52:40 -0400

I accidentally deleted the last Smiling Phases and can't remember the
names of the persons on whose postings I wish to comment.

I believe that one person when describing the VH1 concert, indicated that Not
Fade Away  was originally by the Rolling Stones.  I remember it being done by
Buddy Holly long before the Stones ever did it (yes  I'm probably older than
many of you).  I have no idea whether it was a Buddy Holly original but I'm
sure that the Stones did a cover version.

Secondly, one listmember described some form of video that he or she was
thinking of creating and indicated that it would be created in a particular
manner so as to avoid copyright problems.  I can't remember the details but I
remember wondering at the time how copyright problems could be avoided in
that manner.  I suggest that the person take a closer look at the copyright issue.
I don't know if this is the proper forum for a discussion of copyright but I would
be interested in knowing more details of exactly what is being proposed and
how it gets around copyright restrictions.

Adrian Vockeroth
Gatineau (Quebec)

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 13:13:49 -0600
Subject: New Single's date announced

A short blurb in today's Nashville paper:

"Did you happen to catch the televised VH Honors benefit show last weekend?
Middle Tennessee's own Steve Winwood was all over that concert."

Then they described a few of the songs and named some of the other people
at the concert and ended with:

"So what's new with Steve?  He's got a new album out June 3, *Junction 7*,
which is being billed as "contemporary soul."  The album, Steve's seventh
solo effort, has lots of dance cuts and a few power ballads on it.  Steve's
first single, *Spy in the House of Love*, will be out May 19.

He might have made the first page, but Janis Gill decided to divorce Vince,
so that grabbed the headline.  This IS Nashville, y'all know!

--Shannon

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 10:19:45 -0700
Subject: Bios on-line

I found 2 biographies of SW on the Web; the URLs are

http://mb1.musicblvd.com/cgi-bin/tw/2350211861383557_105_210189
by  Anne Janette Johnson

http://mb1.musicblvd.com/cgi-bin/tw/2350211861383557_105_104641
by William Ruhlmann

If you don't have web-access and would like me to email these to you, email me
privately.

From: Shaft51@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 14:03:52 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Hall of Fame

A friend of mine from Scottsdale dropped me a line the other day and asked me
if I was aware of whether or not those at Virgin Records, Ron Weisner
Entertainment or any other sources are making attempts to get Steve Winwood
into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He noted that several other artists who
have been inducted have made lesser contributions to the music world than
Steve.

Chuck

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: KCris314@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:04:35 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Honors

Hey guys, just wanted to thank you for the "heads up" on the VH-1 honors
program!!!! As little as i watch TV i never would have caught it.  But ended
up taping it and enjoying it very much......thanx again......Kcris

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 21:41:46 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: the morning after

In a message dated 97-04-16 23:40:39 EDT, LesterJake@aol.com wrote:

 "Back in the High Life was one of the show's magic moments.  Steve's purity
of soul, of voice and performance came through so clearly.   The song sounded
wonderful.  And what an inspired touch to have Sheryl Crow play the break on
accordion.  'Tis a pity JT didn't remember his lines or (if he knew them) sing
up more.  But even sotto voce he added gloriously to the song and it was a
dream come true to see them sing it together. "

Now, I haven't listened to the original in awhile, but if I remember correctly, JT
wasn't very loud on that either.  It was a thrill to see JT and SW on the same
stage though.  I was very glad that Sheryl Crow didn't sing on Back In The
High Life.  The accordion was nice, but I just can't hear her singing it.  I keep
hearing it come out like "If it makes you happy..."  Glad not to hear that. :-)

The one thing I would have like to have seen on that was Steve have a song
with one of the students.  I don't know what song, but I would have like to have
seen him do one.  I loved JT's song with the cello player.

All in all, I thought it was a great show.  I will admit that every time Fran
Dresher started talking, I dove for the mute button. :-)  And I'm not a Prince
fan, so I'm not going to even touch on that subject.  I thought Steve looked
great...very relaxed...and he also sounded great.

Andrea

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: "Vockeroth, Adrian"
Subject: Two Hearts by Dave Mason (Anyone looking for a cheap copy by
Mailorder?)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 13:01:08 -0400

If anyone is interested in picking up a cheap copy of Dave Mason's CD Two
Hearts (a good pop album featuring Steve Winwood on several tracks), it can be
had for $4.99 (plus postage and handling) at the following URL:

http://www.newbury.com/sku/72045.htm

I have no affiliation with Newbury Comics (in fact, I've never purchased
anything from them).  I just happened to notice that they have cheap copies of
the aforementioned CD.

Adrian Vockeroth