From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 09:00:32 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Open plea to Steve

Hey, Steve-

Adrian Belew also lives in or around Nashville. May I respectfully recommend
that the two of you seek each other out for a jam session? Adrian's an excellent
guitarist, as you know, so maybe for this jam you could stick to keyboards and
the two of you could switch off on vocals.

Just a suggestion.

Arnie Schulberg

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 19:50:37 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Concert news

I have heard from a Lithuanian girl-friend of mine that there was going to be a
concert on August 16 at Wembley, with SW, Seal, Rod Stewart, Jon Bon Jovi
for free, well partially free, I think you have to collect some 40 empty bottles of
some beer for that, then enjoy...

Berkin,,,

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Paolo "Bussola" Marchiori
Subject: Re: SW in Italy
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:16:36 +0000

Traffic and Stevie are getting hotter in Italy since "Nirvana", the last motion
picture by Gabriele Salvators (Academy Award winner in 1991 with
"Mediterraneo") has "John Barleycorn" as main theme of the soundtrack.

I'm obviously propagating this. :-)))

--Paolo

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:16:36 +0000
From: Humphrey Keenlyside
Subject: Mojo magazine

You might be interested to know there is a feature on SW in this  month's issue
of Mojo, a UK music magazine.

It doesn't really have anything new, although it talks a little about  his
collaboration with Narada Michael Walden.  The best bit is a story about how
he was on holiday in Italy and having a drink in a bar with his brother, Muff.
Someone in the band recognized him and asked him up on stage.  SW then
gave a solo, impromptu version of Georgia On My Mind.  Now that would have
been worth hearing!

Thankfully, nothing in the article about 'divine inspiration'...

Best,
Humphrey

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Jason Nickerson"
Subject: Original SW video...?
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 97 22:17:20 PDT

I have been toying with the idea of an original SW video, utilizing powerful 3D
software that is on the market.  Ambitious, yes, but fun and exciting.  This
video would be video only, no audio, synched with the audio of a specific song,
thereby bypassing copyright infringements.

Just thought I would put it up in the air for comment...

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 10:10:04 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kathy Brooks
Subject: Re: Setlist wishlist

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.  I wanted to listen to a few of the
"obscure" ones to refresh my opinions.  So, here is a list of some of the songs I
would like Stevie to play that invoke my "SWER" (Steve Winwood Emotional
Response):

-Second Hand Woman (from Arc of a Diver)
-Talking Back to the Night (a must)
-Wake Me Up on Judgment Day
-One & Only Man (from Refugees of the Heart - mean guitar & keyboards)
-Come Out & Dance (from Refugees of the Heart - sexier than Roll with It)
   note - the make-up on the cover of this album is scary!  No MORE!!!!
-Holding On (from Roll with It - some great harmony potentials)

Of course, I love Freedom Overspill, and so many of his other things.

I have to say, however, I am a little surprised by everyone's infatuation with
Mozambique.  Maybe I'm missing something (quite possible), but it sounds
more like a Carlos Santana number to me.  It's good -- but who wouldn't expect
it to be -- it's Stevie!

So, there's my opinion, as demented as it is.  Hope it was at least a little
insightful!  Have we heard dates for the concerts yet?  :-)

- Kat

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 16:33:41 +0200
From: Michael Gutermuth
Subject: Tour dates 97

I'd heard in an interview that Steve Winwood will tour Germany. I'd be very
happy if you could mail me the dates and the promoter, because  I'm very
interested to see him live.

Very thankful,
Michael Gutermuth

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: RRopek@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 19:00:59 -0500 (EST)
Subject: New idea: Scholarly Smiling Phases

As to the publication of a separate SP Journal of more scholarly nature - I'd
really like to see that happen.  It would add a new dimension to what we do,
that may really appeal to some (Jan Inge).  Also It would encourage our
members to crack down and do some research to produce something that really
provides information or provocation of thought to the group.

It would be worth giving some thought to how this would work.  Some ideas:

- Have some guidelines as to what is acceptable material, i.e, must be research
based or utterly original (poetry, etc).  No rants about Steve's hair length or why
he's better than Clapton, etc.  Must include some references so that others can
follow up if they want.

- Acknowledge intellectual property rights, probably something SP should do
anyhow.

- Do a 'peer review' of some sort that would allow for critical feedback and/or
editing before publication.

- Keep articles in a separate Web site for access.

- Perhaps in the long run collect the best submissions for a hard print thing.
We have a tee-shirt, why not a book ?

Dan

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: Shaft51@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 08:35:27 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Honors Concert review

Was it just me or did Steve look like he was having an absolute blast on the
VH1 Honors? When he was playing with Stevie Wonder, his legs were flying
around, and when he was out front playing guitar (like "Spy in the House of
Love" -- great tune!), he was really into it. Maybe all this time off has done him
good.

Chuck

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: LesterJake@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 1997 15:05:32 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Morning After

Was the concert last night not awesome and spectacular?  And not just because
Steve looked/sounded so fine, and moved and touched the audience deeply.
There was incredible starpower on stage, and  the stars delivered one great set
after another.

To jumpstart the concert with Steve performing keyboard a keyboard with
Stevie Wonder was audacious--all credit to Ken Ehrlich--and absolutely
thrilling, like dying & going to heaven (an expression I used several times
while watching the show: you too?).  This alone would have made the show
spectacularly successful.

Fast-forwarding through Fran Dresher and Celine Dion...I didn't think Chaka
Khan added much to Higher Love (other than heft); oftentimes she seemed
off-pitch and in another key altogether.  Nor was there much energy between
them.  But the crowd seemed to love it.

And about the crowd...when Steve performed it seemed like there was a
constant outpouring of emotion and appreciation, even during the songs.
Craig--my imagination or corroboration?

Seeing Sheryl Crow, Stevie Wonder and James Taylor perform some of their
Solid Gold hits was magnificent.  Stevie is a fantastic singer/ songwriter/
performer, and one "wonders" why he has stopped producing albums.  James
seemed a little overwhelmed/intimidated at times by the cast, but his solo
moments were deeply moving, as always.  Sheryl is great to watch and listen to.

Spy in the House of Love (apparently the first single that will be released off
J7) came off very well; probably the best of the "new songs" sung by the various
artists.

Family Affair likewise sounded great to me in concert, a very good augur for
this summer's tour, with everyone trading vocals.

Back in the High Life was one of the show's magic moments.  Steve's purity of
soul, of voice and performance came through so clearly.   The song sounded
wonderful.  And what an inspired touch to have Sheryl Crow play the break on
accordion.  'Tis a pity JT didn't remember his lines or (if he knew them) sing
up more.  But even sotto voce he added gloriously to the song and it was a
dream come true to see them sing it together.

The Weight with Levon Helm on mandolin and vocals was another highlight:
one of the great '60s classics performed by '90s all-stars.  What a cast of
singers!  And throughout the program it was a delight to hear Steve's ever-
tasteful organ licks on accompaniment.

And no matter what you think of Prince (I can't keep a straight cursor calling
him The Artist...), he is a phenomenal performer and musician, his band is
terrific, and the songs were fine.  Closing the program with that little oddball
minor-key segment wrapped around the better-known song was as audacious in
its way as opening with Higher Ground/GSL.

All in all, these are fine times for fans of SW, and sharing it on-line makes it
better yet.

All thanks to Craig for sending that great preview--it was terrific to have the
setlist in advance, so I could spread the word to various & sundry, and compare
notes against the broadcast.  Craig, do you have any further observations?
Anything in the LA press since the concert?

If you haven't seen this program yet, check the VH1 Web site, or my posting in
SP#63, for rebroadcast times/dates.  This is a MUST-NOT-MISS event.

Les

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 1997 03:42:20 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: VH1 Concert news

The fact that they cut out Fran adding her adlib was the only great thing cut &
it's sad but that's pretty good considering what they could have cut.  I was afraid
they would cut "Spy" too so when I saw it air I cried real tears of joy!  Also at
the concert I was the only one up & dancing during "Spy".  The rest of the
people didn't know what to think about it.

The crowd seemed to be the Artist crowd first.  They went nuts for him but
gave the next most appreciation to Winwood.  The crowd went nuts for "Higher
Love".  From my vantage point Chaka Kahn did a pretty good job even though
she may have been off key & pre-occupied.  Much of it sounded better in
person.

You saw the other song with the 2 SW's in the show.  It was the gospel song
with the Brothers.  I didn't catch any of the names of that stuff.  "Too close" or
something like that.  Don't pay much attention to gospel.

The only other song which may not have aired at all was the Sheryl Crow with
Wallflowers doing "Not Fade Away" of course originally by the Stones.  That
song might be on the "Backstage" show which I did tape but haven't watched
yet.  I know that show has the new Crow song & new Wallflowers song as
well as another look at "Back in the High Life".

Wonder & also George Michael got lots of attention from the crowd.

BTW it looks like the repeats are only 2 hours long.  I wonder what they cut.
 We will find out at 3 pm today.

Winwoodie: The Artist formerly know as LoudnCraig   (did you notice The
Artist was the only one that needed a ramp?)