Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 22:29:49 +0000
From: "Richard A. Chapman"
Subject: Roll Right Stones

Ellie wrote:
"Anyone knowing the line following: "BLACK OR NOT YOU'VE BEEN
HERE, YOU'VE SEEN THE SIGHT OF >>>YESTERYEAR" in Roll Right
Stones? It sounds like  "YOU STEAL THE NAME YOU CAN'T
COMPLAIN" but I'm sure I'm wrong."

Bobbie/Ellie, et al:
Correct lyrics to Roll Right Stones are:
Black Crow, I know you've been here to see the sights of yesteryear. You
steal the grain, I can't complain and the only thing that remains are
the Roll Right Stones.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: UMayBRight@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 18:40:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Steve @ VH1 honors

I was over browsing VH1 today--pure boredom--and came across the VH1
honors part.  The list includes James Taylor, The Artist..., Stevie Wonder,
Celine Dion, Sheryl Crow, The Wallflowers, Chaka Khan, Emmylou Harris
and Levon Helm, and Steve Winwood.  (It's about time. :-))  Well, there's
also a biography there: http://vh1.com/honors/winwood/

BTW, it airs April 11 at 9 EST.  Can't wait!

Andrea

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 11:08:35 -0500
Subject: Steve on the Tube, Steve on Tour

Check out the VH1 Web site (www.vh1.com) for news of the VH1 Honors
concert: the opening screen has pictures of Steve, Celine Dion and Stevie
Wonder.  Also there's lots of information on the concert special, which
premieres 9 pm (Eastern & Pacific times) this Friday, April 11; and repeats
11:30 pm April 11, 1 pm April 12, 6 pm April 13, 1 p.m April 14, 12 am
April 15, 1 am and 9 pm April 19, 4 pm April 20 and 10 pm May 3.  Music
videos of the concert's featured artists are showing all week this week,
including 8 pm April 8 and 10 am April 11.

The billed musicians are: The Artist Formerly Known as Prince, Sheryl
Crow, Chaka Khan, The Wallflowers, Stevie Wonder, Celine Dion, James
Taylor, Steve Winwood and Emmylou Harris & Levon Helm.

Also, according to Virgin's PR people, Steve will do a four-city June club
tour, in New York, L.A., Chicago (lucky me) and maybe Atlanta.  A major
tour throughout the US of A is planned in the fall.

Les

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 20:04:45 -0700
Subject: Birthday Greetings! And a question for Les

Yes, folks, it's that time of year again!  Our own SW will turn 49 on
May 12, and I would like us to send him a birthday card!

Send to me the greetings that you would like to include on the card,
and I will fashion one as I did last year and send it out, on paper
(not email) to his manager's office.  One difference - I hope this
year not to be a month late!

If you want to see what I did last year to get an idea of what I'm
talking about, check out
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/birthday.htm

Also, Les, do you have some sort of 'feel' for which cut off the album could be
the next single?

From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:44:00 -0500
Subject: Exploring potential

I am glad to have initiated a lively discussion on these pages with my
assertion a few issues back that Mozambique and some other Winwood songs
illustrate an unfortunate tendency of Our Hero--not to push his
compositional talents far enough when sheer playing talent can suffice.  I
was making the point that the use of an outside producer (such as Russ
Titelman, and hopefully, Narada Michael Walden) can sometimes stretch
Steve and elicit such higher efforts.  Let me clarify: I like Mozambique (and
Some Kinda Woman) too, but felt there was a lot more to be said in this song
than was evident on the album.  Shannon replied that live performances of
Mozambique were far superior, and I agree, based on the torrid version I
heard from Traffic in June 1994 at Soldier Field in Chicago, "warming up"
for the Grateful Dead.  And that's the point: if SW can take these songs
much further in concert, where he has had months to develop and explore
their potential, than maybe he ought to wait until after the tour to record
them--as unconventional as that might be.

To that end I hope that some day Steve re-records many of his earlier
compositions to leave us stronger versions--kind of a director's cut if you
will, like Brahms, who rewrote the early B major Piano Trio, Opus 8, late
in life, and gave the world something infinitely superior.

--Les

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Fri, 04 Apr 1997 11:02:46 -0800
From: Rob Patenaude & Bob Earl
Subject: Saratoga Springs, and Deep Feeling

A couple of years ago I saw a concert that really blew my mind.  I was, by
that time, a huge Traffic fan and I had a dream come true.  I saw Traffic
and Fleetwood Mac play togther.  Fleetwood Mac opened and then Traffic
came out.  WOW!  What a show!!  It was in Saratoga Springs in New York,
it's an awesome venue for shows, has anyone else been there?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has any music from a band called Deep
Feeling?  It's a band with Capaldi in it and I keep reading about it in rock
books and magazines but none of the record shop around here have heard of
the band.  Very frustrating!  maybe someone knows of a way I could mail
order or Net order some music from this band?  That would be just amazing!!

Rob

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 17:33:03 -0600
From: srseim@students.wisc.edu (Steven Robert Seim)
Subject: Reaction to J-7 news

I think we all owe Les Jacobson a debt of gratitude for the wealth of info. on
the new album in Vol. 61.  Personally, I am even more eager to hear it  now
than when we first heard of the release date.  I think it's really exciting that
SW is trying something new and keeping his music fresh.  The fact that he
brought in a lot of outside support, that he's experimenting with different
instruments and arrangements, and that Will Jennings has been replaced all
bode well for this project.  The mention of "Latin" and "world beat" also
makes me wonder if this might have some of the good qualities of Paul
Simon's "Rhythm of the Saints" album, although I'm sure Junction 7 will
have a harder edge (ie. more rock/R&B) than that album (which it should).
Incidentally, I've never liked Family Affair, but I guess the positive side
of that is that SW's version couldn't possibly be worse (unlike a more
"obvious" remake, which might have the danger of disappointment).

I was also overjoyed to see Steve's new profession of faith.  His willingness to
publicly witness to Christ (and in such an eloquent way) makes me admire
him now not only as a musical virtuoso, but also as a person.

I've been reading with interest the speculations on possible SW
collaborations.  I also accept the apparent article of faith amongst SW fans
that more work with Eric Clapton would be great.  My views are a little
different, however, when other names are mentioned.  I think Steve would
benefit greatly from working with a blues guitarist, such as Kenny Wayne
Shepard (who doesn't sing anyway) or Jeff Healey (Jimi Hendrix or Stevie
Ray Vaughan would have been great).  This would give him a harder edge
that I think he should explore (and has been mostly missing since early
Traffic).  I've also thought that perhaps a Steve Winwood/Bruce Hornsby
collaboration might be neat.  While their styles and talents are similar, Bruce
is definitely more gifted lyrically, and I think their voices might go well
together (something like Back in the High Life Again).  Plus, Bruce would
add a slightly more earthy, American folk/bluegrass sound that I think might
be a nice complement to Steve's sound.  Above all, I'm deeply suspicious of
suggestions that SW work with more basically "pop" artists (e.g. Sting,
Prince, etc.).  That's exactly what he doesn't need.  Just my opinion, though.
:-)

Steve Seim

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From:             Redux5@aol.com
Date sent:        Sat, 5 Apr 1997 02:11:59 -0500 (EST)
Subject:          More Honors Info

Starting on April 6, web site vh1.com  will have backstage news, interviews
and such from the Honors Rehearsals.

One item I found on the website is the "sounding board" where you can post
any questions you have for any of the Honors performers.  VH1 will invite
the artists to answer the questions when they're taking breaks from the
rehearsals.  I posted a question on Steve's board, and so far my question's the
only one listed, so there may be a good chance of Steve answering questions
anyone wants to post.

However,  I forgot to mention Smiling Phases !        :(

Maybe someone wants to go on the web page and tell Steve about our group.
With so few questions for him, odds are pretty good we can let Steve know
about us !

Also, VH1 has listed the times for Honors related shows, including repeat
times. Here's a list of all the shows revolving around Honors (They're
repeated ad nauseum for the next couple of weeks).

** The Honors Concert -- A special edition of Pop-Up Videos featuring
artists from the Honors special. Hopefully they'll have one of Steve's videos.
It would be interesting to see all those "tidbits" about one of Steve's clips.

**The Save the Music special -- examining the foundation, and the
artists who support it.  A block of videos from all the participants in this
year's Honors special.

-- Griffith

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 11:46:54 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Let Me Make Something...lyrics

"Let Me Make Something In Your Life" is a song that means a lot to me
right now.  I can relate to the frustration that I hear in the song.  So, I sat
down tonight and tried to figure out all the lyrics.  This is what I got, but I'm
not sure, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sometimes It's hard to express what you feel
while trying to say the things that are real
I don't wanna fight
Cause fighting just brings pain
Just want to hold you in my loving arms again
Let me see ths sunlight shining in your eyes
Just the wind that feels through the sky  <----------????
And that's all I can take from your trouble and pride    <------????
Let me make something
Let me make something in your life

Sometimes I catch myself talking aloud
???? running around or get lost in a crowd
Then all my thoughts
Just excape and get lost
Cause I paid for my freedom and knew the cost    <------????
Let me see the sunlight shining in your eyes
Just the wind and breeze through the sky  <------????
Cause I've had all I can take of your trouble and pride     <------????
Let me make something
Let me make something in your life

Cause without you there's nothing I can do....

Why can't we try and make it better
We use to be good friends
And why not now
I don't want to lose you
We don't have to say goodbye
(repeats)

Thanks,
Andrea

"Look, Paul McCartney had another band before Wings!!!!"

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 1997 14:56:27 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Questions for SW

Don't know if SP members are aware of the VH1 Sounding board where you
can post a question for Steve at Honors rehearsals-  on VH1 Honors page-  it
would be great if all of us could post a question to him, don't you think?  I
posted mine already!  It show up on the Honors screen- cool!

Just checked another artist's sounding board on VH1- she has lots of
 questions posted to her-  I know I'm being oversensitive and overprotective
of our favorite artist, but I'd really like to see lots of questions to him,
and I know you would, too!

May

[Gang, the URL for that Sounding Board is
http://vh1.com/sb/honorsbb.cgi/1/1/59/9501
Go there and ask a question!  Quick!!  -BG]

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 1997 20:28:32 +0300
From: Gary Weston
Subject: An introduction

Well why am I here, I'm a big fan of Steve Winwood of course, but more
importantly I have been a Radio Presenter for 15 years in the UK, USA,
Spain, Ireland, Norway, and on European Satellite Radio. Quite frankly there
is not enough Steve Winwood on Air world wide. I'm currently Station
Controller of Napa Radio 90.9 FM here in Cyprus and intend to change the
situation. Now obviously I cannot play Steve Winwood all day, but do intend
to give him a good airing. I would appreciate any background info of what is
going on in the world of Steve Winwood to educate listeners.

Gary

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: LesterJake@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 1997 23:54:07 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Summer Concert Tour Song List

Instead of fooling around dreaming up our favorite fantasy musicians for
Steve to perform with (who said Robert Plant?? I'm going to slap you upside
the head!!), we SPers should be doing something useful (for a change):
coming up with our Summer '97 Concert Tour Wish List of Songs.

We should do this because (1) it's fun and (2) someone at Weisner or Virgin
might actually subscribe to SP, and be in a position to influence tour song
selections (possibly; not likely).  So if you want to avoid yet another rendition
of Help Me Angel or the Michelob beer song (which must work subliminally,
'cause that's when everyone heads to the concession stands or the bathroom),
now's the time to post your favorite obscure and underperformed Steve
Winwood songs, or songs he'd sound great singing, for this summer's concert
tour.  Here are my candidates, more or less in order of appearance.  You
listening, Steve?

--Just Wanna Have Some Fun: from Junction 7; you'll know why when you
hear it
--Road Runner: fantastic ARMS concert video version
--Ask Anybody: the wonderful song he wrote for the Christine McVie album
(now out of print), with 3 terrific synth solos
--Can't Find My Way Home/John Barleycorn segue: acoustic guitar and flute
--Whiter Shade of Pale: sounds like a Steve Winwood song
--Walking in the Wind: great piano vamps
--I'm a Man: the Brit video version with a big horn section
--Go medley: Man of Leo, Crossing the Line, Winner/Loser (one of the all-
time great sounds-like-Traffic albums)
--40,000 Headmen: the greatest head song ever with Steve on Hammond
--I Can't Get Enough of It: best obscure SDG cut, with incredible piano solos
--Crossroads: the Powerhouse version (maybe EC will guest?)
--Glad/Freedom Rider/Empty Pages segue: the monumental John Barleycorn
symphony
--Dream Gerrard: Traffic noir
--I'll Keep on Searching: best song from the Refugees album; never
performed live
--Coloured Rain: with the harpsichord
--Smiling Phases: with the fade
--Shanghai Noodle Factory: with the flute/sax/organ trio
--Vacant Chair: lives there a Winwooder who doesn't love this song (never
performed live)
--Take It As It Comes: fantastic live
--Still in the Game or Talking Back to the Night: make sure you have a great
sax player; how about Sonny Rollins?
--Shoot Out/Night Train segue: great guitar solos
--Gimme Some Lovin: no force on earth can stop this song
--Encore: Shining Song (with gospel choir; expensive, but worth it)

Three hours and 10 minutes (no opening act, no intermission, no chick
singers); best live concert ever; even Rolling Stone gives it a good review.
 Go for it, Steve!

Les

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13
From:             ASchulberg@aol.com
Date sent:        Tue, 8 Apr 1997 21:12:29 -0400 (EDT)
Subject:          Re: Winwood and Rush

Fellow Winwood Worshippers-

Some of you may have swallowed, hook, line and sinker, the recent "news" of
Steve's joint tour with Rush. Some of you may have read to the end and seen
the release date of April 1, 1997. That was intended to let you know: IT WAS
AN APRIL FOOL'S JOKE.

So, don't blame Bobbie, blame me. All I intended was some outrageous fun.
Hopefully no one had to be institutionalized due to shock. Hope you all
enjoyed reading and thinking about it as much as I enjoyed cooking it up.

Now, on a serious note: I'm gonna be in Nashville in June for a convention.
Can someone arrange for me to meet Steve?

Arnie