Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 00:45:03 -0800
From: Steve Tidwell
Subject: Re: collaborations

ASchulberg@aol.com wrote:

"I'm a HUGE fan of Roxy Music and I just cannot see that as a good marriage.
Roxy was so avant garde and later in their hard rock period I don't see SW as
being able to handle Manznera's parts. I think Steve is a great guitar player
(better than keyboards, IMHO) but I don't see him as being able to sublimate
his style to the band's. And what about singing? No way would Bryan have let
Steve had the spotlight nor would Winwood's American blues based vocals
have fit in the Euro-style of Roxy. "

Well, maybe, maybe not.  I know Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry is a bit of a stretch
but then again ... Winwood has done that in the past.  Odd combinations can
produce some wondrous results.  Music is perhaps the most collaborative art
and musicians are very adept at making beautiful syntheses of seemingly
incompatible components.  They thrive on stretching the envelope and going
against type and I think to grow as a musical artist, you *have* to do that.
Wasn't Traffic itself an oddity in the beginning?  And Go, too.  (And although
Dave Mason and Cass Elliot was the most improbable duet in rock history ...
no, wait, on second thought, that's not such a great example....)

Still, I can almost hear those ethereal high notes Steve hit in "Can't Find My
Way Home" blending right into the background vocals on "Avalon". Winwood
may have begun as a blues vocalist but he's able to handle other styles too,
especially since his voice has changed over the years.

I suppose we'll never know how some of these combinations would have
sounded, but it's sure fun to argue about them.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 02:33:31 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Tee-shirt reactions

---------------------
Date: 97-03-30 20:08:28 EST

Got the t-shirt in the mail and loved it.  Hopefully the weather in
Nebraska will warm up enough for me to wear it.

---------------------
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 19:10:46 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Ideas on the new album

 Well , here we are with this definitely Latin/Jazzy album, the crew
reminds me of "Back in the High Life" I am glad that finally there are 11
songs (more than 8) , this one can be a hit, the collaboration of Mrs
Winwood sounds a little odd but still worthy of investigation,  a lot of
guitars, percussion, and Horns , sounds cool to me.

Also Capaldi still exists within the ranks, that is a sign of further
Traffic possibilities, I personally think that this album will make most
of us happy, since it is a new direction maybe something he wanted to do
for a long time , NMW is a very prudent musician, this new album is also
the first one without Capaldi, and Jennings, so it has a very fresh
meaning to it, and i think the media  will wake up to it, and it could
shock a lot of the press, and alter the thoughts on Winwood, meaning maybe
even he could be on the cover of "Guitar Player".

All the instruments look fine, and the ones who are playing them except
Steve doing that synthesizer Sax solo thing , (Why in the heck would he do
that?)    let us all hope that it sounds excellent!!!!##  Berkin****

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Angelo"
Subject: Lyric...
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:56:06 +0200

Anyone knowing the line following:

"BLACK OR NOT YOU'VE BEEN HERE, YOU'VE SEEN THE SIGHT OF
YESTERYEAR" in
Roll Right Stones?

It sounds like

"YOU STEAL THE NAME YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN" but I'm sure I'm
wrong.
Even my acquaintances didn't make it.

Still, any good soul to write down MIDLAND MANIAC for me? I know it was
written by Steve on a friend of his and that he did never reveal who was it
for. I have some of it but not all. A big THANKS from

ELLIE

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 1997 18:30:29 -0600
Subject: Reactions to #61

Anthony wrote:
"Getting back to Mozambique it is an excellent piece of work and
instrumental only. . . Glad is probably close to my favourite Traffic piece."

I agree totally (flips hair here!).  "Mozambique" was a little lackluster
on the album, but in the live shows it was one of the high points and had
the crowd I was in on its collective feet for the whole number.  Remember,
the golden throat has to rest every few songs, so I think the instrumentals
will keep coming.

As for "Glad,"  I can still listen to it over and over as I have been able
to since the album was first released.  I will be disappointed when SW no
longer plays it.

Bobbie wrote:
"it's crystal clear, but only to people who speak Swahili.  The phrase is "O-ku
Nsu-kun No-ko", and it means "The dead are weeping for the dead" which he
sings in English just prior to starting the African chant."

I don't think it's Swahili;  I think it's from Nigeria, so it's probably
Yoruban or some such.  Back to the archives . . .

AND:
"Steve sings the lyrics all jumbled together yet again, . . . and it upsets me,
cos I like things nice and neat and tidy."

Get over it.  He'll never remember the words to the songs.  Just consider
it part of his charm  =8- )

Cheers,

--Shannon

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 08:10:49 -0800
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Rebop Album and Tarpan Studios

Hi All

Today I discovered that there is a CD of Rebop's music. Its called Melodies
From A Jungle Mans Head. Its available on the net through Netbeat. Their
URL is http://www.netbeat.com/products/cd83.htm

This is the description that Netbeat provides on Reebop.

African Anthony Reebop Kwaku Baah was the great percussionist
from "Traffic" . He also played with many other famous bands such as the
Rolling Stones, Stevie Winwood, Eric Clapton .... He and Jonas Hellborg
worked for a year on a recording project that was halted by Reebop's tragic
death in 1982. "He said that a lot of his old  collaborators where on the
tapes used but would never tell me who and where or when. I must give the
man credit for that. He proved it to be totally insignificant who did what.
The music became it's own person - A son of Reebop" (Jonas Hellborg).

The record is issued by Title  Day Eight Music # DEM 021 and times in at
almost 1 hour of music... but I haven't heard it yet. Perhaps some of our
Traffic friends are on this album.... but as stated above, they (nor any
others) will receive credit.

And now onto the next subject....
Tarpan studios ( I have just come to learn) is about 1 mile from where I
live. I knew that Narada Michael Walden also lived here in Marin county
just north of San Francisco, but I hadn't put 2 and 2 together till now that
I could drop by and ask some folks down there of their impressions of the
Junction 7 recording session. Perhaps I could say I represent Smiling
Phases to lend me some authority on the manner and try and set up an
interview with Mr. Walden or an engineer type.

This will have to wait a week or so cause I'm in the midst of a big project.
But once an idea like this starts taking shape in my brain, well it just
might happen.

By the way, I love the original recording of the song Its A Family Affair -
very cool, very fun.

Cya later

Alan

[Go ahead!  Use our name!  -BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Stephen MacDougall"
Subject: SW and Fleetwood Mac
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:19:29 -0500

"Lindsey Buckingham would be a great collaborator with Steve."

In any given Smiling Phases, I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of
crossover between Traffic and Fleetwood Mac.  Considering both bands share
Dave Mason, that's almost a given. But with several mentions of Christine
McVie and now Lindsey Buckingham, I now have a really crazy idea.  Have a
Fleetwood Mac/Traffic collaboration, kind of like Dylan & The Dead.
Here's how I see the band working:

Mick Fleetwood -Drums/Percussion
John McVie -Bass
Christine McVie -Keyboards/vocals
Stevie Nicks -Vocals
Lindsey Buckingham -Guitars/vocals
Dave Mason -Guitars/vocals
Steve Winwood -Keyboards/guitars/vocals
Jim Capaldi -Percussion/guitars/vocals

Just a crazy thought.

Steve MacDougall

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 1997 04:07:39 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: VH1 Honors concert

So far VH1 hasn't returned my E-mail as to air times for Honors but soon as
they do I'll let you know.  At the concert look for 4 SP t-shirts in the 3rd
row of the balcony unless I can upgrade the tixs at the last min.  These 2
girls we know who are also SW fans and my eventually join SP will be at the
concert with us.  I bought the tixs & t-shirts (since we have extra t-shirts)
for them.  It will also look like SP has more people at the concert.

Craig

[I heard on the radio that the concert WILL AIR on April 11, and I *think* it
was at 10 pm/eastern but I'm not sure.  -BG]

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 03:11:29 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: VH1 improvement

I have to agree with Eric that VH1 has certainly improved even in the last
few months.  It is almost possible to leave it on like a radio station for
hours at a time now when like a year ago I couldn't stand more than a couple
of songs.

Craig

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:00:43 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Winwood Bulletin

Steve Winwood's management announced today the arrangements for his
spring tour. The tour is in conjunction with the release of Winwood's new
album, "Junction 7", will be a co-headliner tour of arena-size venues. The
co-headliner is Rush.

Winwood and his band will alternate opening act status with Rush which is
undertaking its first ever all-acoustic tour. In addition to alternating
headliner status, the two bands will freely mix songs. "I've always loved
Rush," Winwood said. "They are one of my favorite bands and follow the path I
would have followed if I were still a musician rather than an entertainer.
The chance to perform with them, particularly in their new all-acoustic
format, excites me enormously."

Winwood is expected to sit in on a number of Rush songs such as "Red Sector
Nine" and "Counterparts". In turn the members of Rush will support such
Winwood favorites as "Back in the High Life Again" and "John Barleycorn".
Winwood stated, "I'd like to make it clear to my fans and supporters that
this is the culmination of a long-time dream for me but I wish to vigorously
deny rumors that I will be joining Rush."

For release: April 1, 1997

Arnie

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: Shaft51@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 11:17:03 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Winwood Instrumentals

In the last issue, I saw a lot of talk of Winwood instrumentals, someone
had mentioned "Glad." Hands down, this is one of my favorite Winwood songs
(certainly the title fits since it is a really glad song!). However, I think
some really cool instrumentals can be found on the flips sides of the singles
from the "Roll With It" album.

  For example, on the flip of "Don't You Know What the Night Can Do?"
there's a modified version of the song where a Moog solo replaces the vocals.
Very cool. As for "Holding On" and "Hearts on Fire," the vocals are omitted
and the music is changed very little.

  But a real instrumental gem can be found on the flip side of the "One and
Only Man" single. There's a track called "Always" where it sounds like Steve
handles all the instrument work. Not too terribly innovative a track, but
it's a really pretty song a la "Slowdown Sundown." Check it out if you can.

A couple of other interesting things -- the "Freedom Overspill" instrumental is
fantastic. I also have the 12-inch vinyl featuring two versions of that song,
"Higher Love" and a track from "Talking Back to the Night" which escapes me.
Also from the world of dance track vinyl (remember those?), I have a "Roll
With It" dance track featuring, get this: A mondo-long version of the cut (about
7 minutes long) with a few extra little organ licks and female vocals thrown in.
Then there's the "Steve Testifies Dub" (whatever that means) which is very cool
-- starts out with just piano playing the rhythm to "RWI" and him singing over
it. At the chorus, the organ kicks in, then the horns and rest of the rhythm
section pulls in. Very cool stuff that you probably already have, but just thought
I'd share anyway.

Chuck from Pennsylvania

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From:             "Angelo"
Subject:          RE: Junction 7
Date sent:        Tue, 1 Apr 1997 09:20:37 +0200

I am so glad Will Jennings is out of the way!  I think this album will be very
much salsa-oriented (has anyone of you ever heard Steve playing with FANIA
AL STARS?) Walfredo Reyes, Narada, Nile Rodgers... That seems great!!
 And? has Steve gone religious? Well I know this would happen one time or
the other... Looking forward to see what Genia can do. I hope she's no Linda
McCartney.

(Didja read post #10?  April Fool's!)