From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 17:18:42 -0500
Subject: Credits for Junction 7

Here's some information I was able to get from Virgin about the new album:

Release date, June 3; co-produced by Narada Michael Walden; recorded and
mixed at Steve's home studio in Gloucestershire, England, and Tarpan Studios,
San Raphael, California.

The press material says Junction 7 "is a return to Winwood's rhythm and blues
roots.  Incorporating elements of R&B, jazz, Latin, world beat and rock,
Junction 7 is a joy to listen to and features guest appearances by Nile Rodgers,
Lenny Kravitz and Des'ree."

There are 11 songs totaling 57 minutes:

1. Spy in the House of Love (Written by Steve Winwood (SW), Narada Michael
Walden (NMW) and Jim Capaldi)
SW: lead vocals, rhythm guitar and guitar solos
NMW: keyboards, bass, live drums and drum programming
Mike McEvoy: additional keyboards
Jimi Fischer: wah wah guitar
Greg Gonaway: percussion
Background vocals: Tony Lindsey, Skyler Jett, Nikita Germaine, Tina Gibson,
Annie Stocking

2. Angel of Mercy (SW, NMW, Jim Capaldi)
SW: lead vocal, rhythm guitar, Hammond organ, Wurlitzer piano, wah wah
guitar solo
NMW: B3 bass, drum programming, percussion
Mike McEvoy: additional keyboard and voices
Jimi Fischer: additional drum programming
Jerry Hey: live string arrangement and conductor
Nathan Rubin: concert master
Background vocals: same as above

3. Just Wanna Have Some Fun (SW, NMW)
SW: lead vocal, Hammond organ, synth sax solo, clavinet
NMW: drum programming, bass, synth, keyboards and percussion
Frank Martin: keyboards and programming
Vernon Black: guitar
Walfredo Reyes Jr.: percussion
Jerry Hey: horn arrangement and trumpet
Marc Russo: sax
Wayne Wallace: trombone
Background vocals: same as above

4. Let Your Love Come Down (SW, NMW, Jim Capaldi)
SW: lead vocal, lead guitar, organ
NMW: bass, organ, drum programming, cymbals, live drums
Lenny Kravitz: guitar
Frank Martin: keyboards and programming
Mike McEvoy: synth vibes and additional piano
Jimi Fischer: additional bass and rhythm guitar
Walfredo Reyes Jr.: percussion
Jerry Hey: horn arrangements and percussion
Marc Russo: sax
Wayne Wallace: trombone
Background vocals: Nikita Germaine, Annie Stocking, Tina Gibson, Claytoven
Richardson and Sandy Griffith

5. Real Love (SW, NMW, Eugenia Winwood)
SW: lead vocal, acoustic piano
NMW: drum programming, keyboards and percussion
Frank Martin: keyboards and programming, bass
Mike McEvoy: additional keyboards, bass, drum programming, synth strings
Jerry Hey: live string arrangement and conductor
Nathan Rubin: concert master

6. Fill Me Up (SW, Eugenia Winwood)
SW: lead vocal, acoustic guitar
NMW: drum programming
Mike McEvoy: keyboards, bass, drum programming and dobro guitar
Background vocals: Ruby Turner, Simone Sauphanor and Eugenia Winwood
Out chorus: Ruby Turner
Spoken part: Eugenia Winwood

7. Gotta Get Back to My Baby (SW, Eugenia Winwood)
SW: lead vocal, clave, additional keyboards
Rebeca Mauleon-Santana: piano
Marc Van Wageningen: bass
Walfredo Reyes Jr.: drums, timbales, percussion
Daniel Reyes: congas
Melecio Magdaluyo: sax
Louis Fasman: trumpet
Jeff Cressman: trombone
Bill Ortiz: trumpet
Horn arrangement by SW and Rebeca Mauleon-Santana
Background vocals: Ruby Turner, Simone Sauphanor, Party People, Tony
Lindsay, Skyler Jett, Nikita Germaine, Tina Gibson, Annie Stocking

8. Someone Like You (SW, NMW, Eugenia Winwood)
SW: lead vocal
NMW: keyboards, bass, drum programming, cymbals
Mike McEvoy: keyboards, bass, drum and bass programming, synth strings
Background vocals: Claytoven Richardson, Sandy Griffith, Tina Gibson

9. Family Affair (Sylvester Stewart)
Dedicated to Bernard Edwards
SW: lead vocal, acoustic piano and percussion
NMW: live drums, drum programming, synth bass, keyboards and percussion
Nile Rodgers: guitar
Myron Dove: electric bass
Jerry Hey: live string arrangement and conductor
Nathan Rubin: concert master
Background vocals: same as No. 1

10. Plenty of Lovin (SW, NMW)
SW: vocals, rhythm guitar
Des'ree: vocals
NMW: keyboard and drum programming
Mike McEvoy: synth strings, keyboards
Jose Neto: acoustic and nylon electric guitar and solo
Gary Brown: electric bass

11. Lord of the Street (SW, NMW, Jim Capaldi)
SW: lead vocal, acoustic piano, Hammond organ, clavinet, rhythm guitar
NMW: live drums, drum programming, synth and percussion
Frank Martin: keyboards and programming
Greg Gonaway: Midi drum assisting
Walfredo Reyes Jr.: percussion
Background vocals: same as No. 1

The credits also list "special thanks to: My Lord and Savior The Giver of Life,
Ron Weisner, Karel Hannak, Mick Newton, Victoria Losh, Sue Gould, Phillip
Quiney, E. Smooth, Kate Harrison and Muff Winwood."  Separately, another
special thanks column lists: Eugenia Winwood, Ken and Nancy Berry,
Everyone at Virgin Music Group Worldwide, Ron Weisner, Mick Newton,
Muff Winwood, Dej Mahoney, Lenny Kravitz, Craig Fruin, Des'ree, David
Wernham, Nile Rodgers, Budd Tunick, Owen Sloane, Les Bider, Kathy
Schenker, Gayle Fine, Bernard Doherty, Carole Kinzel, Rob Light, Peter Nash,
Rusty Hooker, Karel Hannak, Viv Phillips, Victoria Losh, Sue Gould, Phillip
Quiney, Jim Capaldi, E. Smooth, Narada and everyone at Perfection Light
Productions, and adds,  "Above all, I thank my Lord and Savior, The Giver of
Life."

Some personal observations:

--Although there are some familiar names (Jim Capaldi, Mike McEvoy), most
of the cast is brand new to Winwood fans and obviously better known for a
Contemporary Latin and R&B sound than rock.
--Narada Michael Walden is far more involved on this album than any previous
co-producer, which is almost certain to give it a distinctly different flavor than
anything we've heard in the past.
--Steve hasn't covered a song since Last Exit, so the inclusion of Sly Stone's
Family Affair, rather than the more obvious choice of, say, I Wanna Take You
Higher, is interesting.
--Live strings, a conductor and a concert master?
--Eugenia Winwood's extensive involvement is new.
--I can't remember a Steve Winwood studio cut in which he only sings
(Someone Like You)

My guess is that this album is indeed going to be a major departure from his
previous work.  Perhaps he is reaching out to an entirely new audience. It
should be interesting to see how much of his old fan base goes with him.

--Les Jacobson

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:16:29 -0700
Subject: Administrivia

There've been a couple changes to the SP web-page, and I'd like you to check
them out.

1) The tee-shirt page has a .gif of what the shirt will actually look  like, and a
handy order form, along with Craig's snail mail address  so you can send the
check.

2) Eight midi's for you to download.

3) Links to more Subscribers.  If you have a home page, send me the  URL and
I'll link to you!!

The web-page is at http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/maillist.htm  (that's 2
L's in the middle of that).

From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:47:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Collaborations

<< What about Santana and Winwood?  I know they crossed paths in the early
70's -- what would that have sounded like?  Or Steve and Yes?  Peter Gabriel?
Or Bryan Ferry and/or Roxy Music--that seems interesting to me.  >>

I'm a HUGE fan of Roxy Music and I just cannot see that as a good marriage.
Roxy was so avant garde and later in their hard rock period I don't see SW as
being able to handle Manznera's parts. I think Steve is a great guitar player
(better than keyboards, IMHO) but I don't see him as being able to sublimate
his style to the band's. And what about singing? No way would Bryan have let
Steve had the spotlight nor would Winwood's American blues based vocals
have fit in the Euro-style of Roxy.

Likewise, Steve in YES would have been a disaster.

What I'd like to see is Steve and his Nashville neighbor, Adrian Belew,
collaborating.

Arnie

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 17:05:12 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Comparisons

<<  Winwood vs. Rick Wakeman?  Rick may be a better technician (not one of
Steve's strong points for sure), but he can't touch Our Boy in soulfulness, taste
and melodic ideas, i.e. musicality.  Not even close. >>

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. Listen: Steve- R&B, Psychedelia,
soul. Wakeman- Classical music, art-rock (something Winwood NEVER was),
symphonic. The two just can't be compared.

As for Steve's drug use: What do the unauthorized biography and the
autobiography say on this subject? Anyone familiar with these books wanna
summarize for us?

Arnie

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 16:52:26 -0700
Subject: screwing up the lyrics of Low Spark

Okay, so I was listening to yet another live version of Low Spark, and Steve
sings the lyrics all jumbled together yet again,one line from this verse and one
line from that; then repeat one (cos it's fun to sing?).  He doesn't screw up the
lyrics on ANY other song as much as this one, and it upsets me, cos I like
things nice and neat and tidy.

I have a theory: He sings lyrics out of order, or repeats, on Low Spark ON
PURPOSE.  If you can wean yourself from the standard version and actually
listen to the meaning, the lyrics are actually kinda interchangeable and add new
dimensions.

I know I'm probably rationalizing heavily again, but this theory makes me feel
a lot better about things.

Go, Az Wildcats!

From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:01:01 -0500 (EST)
Subject: SP shirt!

Got my SP shirt in the mail today.  It looks GREAT!!!  Wonderful job, Craig.
Can't wait to wear it....

Andrea

From: "BobbieG."
To: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Subject: Tee-shirts!!
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 19:34:19 -0700

Hey, Craig,

They came in the mail yesterday, but I didn't get 'em out of the box till this
morning, and they're fab!  Nice job, slap me five!!

I think you were right, they look better in red.  I'm glad I got one in each color
so I can see the difference, and now I know for SURE that you were right.  ;-)

Bobbie

From:	redd001@ibm.net (Sharron)
To:	Loudncraig@aol.com
Date: 97-03-25 14:38:13 EST

Dear Craig:

Wanted to let you know that I just received my T-Shirts and am VERY pleased.
The quality of cotton is excellent and the shirts are certainly true to size (a good
fit).

Sure glad I got one of each color !! Thanks again for your efforts and attention
to detail.

Kind regards,
Sharron Robertson

From:	vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
To:	LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: 97-03-26 19:24:41 EST

Hey, guy!

The tee shirts are wonderful.  Thank you so much for doing this for us.

--Shannon