From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 03:33:48 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: VH1 Honors Concert

The following are rumors I heard while waiting in line at Universal Amp.
ticket office & are only rumors: the VH1 Honors concert will include James
Taylor, Sting and I even heard Stevie Wonder (but personally I think someone
heard that wrong and really just heard Steve Winwood).  Also last year the
concert was edited down after the fact to air on VH1 to fit into a time slot of an
hour and a half including commercials and we should expect the same this
year.  The main star is supposed to be the one formerly known as Prince.

Craig

[It's since been confirmed that Wonder *will* appear at the concert.  -BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:38:40 -0500
Subject: Speedy Delivery, and VH1 Concert

Wow, was I impressed to get SP59 this afternoon with my posting from earlier
today included!   I'm so glad you were able to use it right away. Isn't the news
about the April 11 concert broadcast awesome?  I get so excited when Steve
resurfaces (every few years) from his self-imposed isolation and starts
appearing in varied and unusual settings.  But this season seems more
encouraging than ever, with a broader variety of musicians and venues.
Obviously all this activity presages an album and tour, which is wonderful news
in itself, but beyond that his increased visibility strengthens the general
recognition of his talent and encourages other musicians (especially young
ones) to want to play with him.  So many of the younger musicians are unaware
of his performing /songwriting talent, and it's through them that you reach the
younger generation.  For example, I wouldn't think there's too much overlap
between SW and Prince fans; hopefully that changes April 11th.

In general, the more often and the more diverse the venues we see Steve in, the
better for his music and his fans.

Hey, I went line dancing to Cajun music in "Nawlins."  It was the second best
part of the trip.  The best part was when the guy from VH1 told me about the
April 11 concert!

Les

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Gabb, Anthony A"
Subject: Mozambique and Some Kinda Woman
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 10:09:35 +1100

Les wrote:

" Far From Home, while it was enjoyable in many aspects, suffered from that
limitation, particularly songs like Mozambique and Some Kinda Woman."

I must say that I find Mozambique one of the best songs on the Far From Home
album.  I agree that Some Kinda Woman lacks something.  I noticed in Vol. 59
that the CD single contained a Tom Lord Algae version with electric guitar -
maybe that's it - I also think getting in a real saxophonist would have given the
song more life rather than using a synthesized one (maybe woodwinds is the

Getting back to Mozambique it is an excellent piece of work and instrumental
only.  While I think SW has a fantastic (and unique) voice, I really like the
instrumental work I have heard from Traffic. Specifically Glad is probably
close to my favourite Traffic piece.  From my point of view I'm hoping there is
another instrumental on the new album.

Anthony

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 00:20:25 -0600
From: Eric
Subject: VH1 Improving

Well, I'm reading all of this great information a bit late (I hadn't read any of my
SP stuff since late Feb, that will teach me to ignore Bobbie!) so I did miss the
concert on VH1, but it sounded like it was wonderful.  Mellencamp and
Winwood on the same stage, makes an Indiana Boy happy.

And then there is the next concert coming up with The Purple One Formerly
known as Prince there with Winwood.  Good night, are we just going down the
list of people I put as artists besides Winwood I had put down on Tribble's page
so long ago?  If Robinson and the Crowes show up, and maybe some Clapton
and Sting as well, I think my life might just get wasted watching copies of the
concert over and over.

However, I've noticed that VH1 is showing some good stuff.  They had Prince's
Emancipation concert on, and all this other stuff is coming as well.  I moved to
the boonies of Nebraska 6 years ago and lost cable.  At that time it had been
MTV for music and VH1 for bad videos and stand up.  It looks like VH1 has
actually started to have good stuff on.  And it's nice to know that there will be a
place where we can see all the Winwood videos when they come out.

Who knows, maybe Winwood might show up on MTV even.  It could happen,
they might have another season of the Real World in London and he could get a
spot on it =)  Oh well , if he is still influencing the young crop of musicians, it
doesn't matter where he actually shows up, his influence will spread into more
and more music.

Eric

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Redux5@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 04:04:24 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Locked out of the garage, and Collaborations

Like a lot of others, I don't have a tape of the VH-1 concert.  If someone could
send me a copy, I would appreciate it.  I also need copies of all the Winwood
videos, if someone has those.  I don't have anything to trade except good
old-fashioned cash.  Send me an e-mail if you can help. Thank you.

As for collaborations, I agree with the Santana idea.  I'd also like to see Steve
and  Tina Turner sing a duet.  He played on one of her albums, but I don't think
they've ever sung together.  Lindsey Buckingham would be a great collaborator
with Steve. Former Living Colour guitarist Vernon Reid has a Hendrix-like
ability to get new sounds out of the guitar.  Someone experimental like that
could help push Steve to keep innovating.  On the more wild side of
imagination, even Trent Reznor or Flood as a producer. It might not work, but
it wouldn't be predictable.

Thanks to all for making a great newsletter!  Its about the only reason I stay
hooked-up.

D Griffith

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 09:00:33 -0600
Subject: Re: VH1

Why the sudden interest in our lad by the VH1 crowd?  They have carefully
ignored him for years, and suddenly he's all over the place.  I'm glad I like the
"Higher Love" video, because that's about all they ever play, when they even
bother.  Of course, his career has always gone in cycles.  I can remember times
when I couldn't buy information about what he was doing and when he might
have a new record.  Thank goodness we've found each other.

--Shannon

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:01:52 -0500 (EST)
From: pharaoh@digital.net (Dave Davis)
Subject: New Traffic Boot!

I was in a store yesterday that had the most bootlegs I have ever seen.  They
were stacked to the roof!  Anyhow, I always check for Traffic or Blind Faith
boots - as they are so hard to come by.  I usually just look to see if they even
have a tab or marker for the groups - which most stores usually don't.
But!....this one did!  I ended up buying Blind Faith's "Well Alright," with some
of the Morgan Rehearsals and Hyde Park stuff.  But then I spotted something
else, and here's the interesting part, a Traffic boot that I've never heard of.  It's
not mentioned on the Winwood pages, so maybe you've heard of it.  It's called
"Paper Rain."  It includes 15 tracks, all in mighty good quality, in fact, very
good.  The first seven tracks make up the Stockholm 9/5/67 concert also on
"Heavy Traffic," and "Traffic Jam."  There are two tracks from the Fillmore
West on 3/14/68, and three from Copenhagen on 5/8/68.  Also included is an
alternate take of "Hope they never find me here," along with both sides of a
Dave Mason solo 45 from 1968.  And that rounds out the collection, very nice
indeed.  So - are you familiar with this one?  If so, let me know.  They had two
copies of both the discs I bought yesterday - I was so amazed.  Well, just
thought you might know something about this boot.  Let me know, and take
care.

--dave davis

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 10:28:06 -0500
Subject: Misc.

Two recent SW citations: nice photo of him accepting the Record of the Year
award in a BMG music club brochure; Muzak version of Back in the High Life
heard at a store somewhere recently.

Has anyone else corroborated that VH1 is broadcasting the April 10 concert on
April 11?  My source at the cable show was pretty authoritative (a manager of
affiliate marketing), but I'd feel better if someone spotted it at their web site or
in a TV listing.

Les

{I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere yet; if any Subscriber does, write us!  -
BG]

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 00:02:55 -0700
Subject: SW and basketball

Many of you may be aware that in the US we are now experiencing something
called 'March Madness'.  This is the annual college basketball tournament.
Sixty-four teams compete, being eliminated as they lose, until finally one team
is undefeated.

Today they held the first 2 games for the Elite Eight.  Imagine my surprise
when "Gimme Some Lovin'" began to play!! They had 'choreographed' stock
footage to match the lyrics ('so glad we made it' accompanied a slam dunk,
'gimme some lovin'' accompanied a coach and player hugging) and it was so
fun!

I'm glad that SW gets this kind of recognition.  I've noticed that his music is
sometimes used during TV breaks during the Olympics, but AFAIK no athlete
has used any.  Wouldn't it be great next year in Nagano if an ice-skater would
use "There's a River"?

From: Operanut@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 15:57:26 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Misheard lyric

Heelllllp!!!!

Dumb question department:  On "Vacant Chair" which I have on the
compilation tape "Chronicles", what is the line repeated many times at the end?
It sounds like "a cool sip of menthe", "acute sentimental" or something.  They
don't put lyrics on nice big record sleeves anymore which is aggravating, and
Steve slurs his words sometimes, so I don't know what he is saying?   You
probably know this one and it's probably crystal - clear to you.

BTW, I have been a court reporter for 20 years, which means I made my living
listening to people talk and taking it down in shorthand, but this one has me
baffled.

Thanks,
 Sharon

From:     Self
To: Operanut@aol.com
Subject: Re: Misheard lyric
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 16:56:47 -0700

Hey, Sharon,

>   You probably know this one and it's probably crystal - clear to
> you.

LOL!!  Yes, I know what it is, and yes, it's crystal clear, but only to people who
speak Swahili.  The phrase is "O-ku Nsu-kun No-ko", and it means "The dead
are weeping for the dead" which he sings in English just prior to starting the
African chant.

Your reputation as a court reporter is intact!  Whew!

 Bobbie

[Anybody else got a misheard lyric they'd like to share?  One of my friends
thought the line was 'love stalk of high heeled boys', which is fairly obscene if
you think about it.    -BG]

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:08:02 -0500
From: Guy
Subject: Bootlegs & Stuff

Have a bootleg of Traffic from 73 @ Fort Worth, Texas after the band finishes
Tragic Magic, CW (don't know for sure) says "don't ever touch that stuff tragic
magic".  Hmmmmm wonder what he had in mind?  Unfortunately it seems he
did!  This whole drug thing seems to miss the point.  Just about anybody in the
music biz in the 60s experimented to one degree or another, but if SW was a
drug casualty as Rolling Stone once said, it's hard to imagine him being as vital
as he still is.  Obviously those days are long over.  The SW of today is a
consummate pro - a musician of the first rank!  However stage presence has
never been one of his fortes.  Great chops yes,  interacting with an audience and
dialog always seem painfully difficult for him.  Well, nobody is perfect, lets
enjoy his musicianship and take the rest as it comes.

One other interesting bootleg is from the 1970 Fillmore concerts.  SW
introduces Can't Find My Way Home and a heckler shouts that's a Blind Faith
song, not Traffic.  SW, at a loss for words ,mumbles and carries on anyway,
when the song's finished the audience is silent.  I always wondered why SW
didn't perform the song more often.  Perhaps some bad memories?

Can you classify Traffic as a Rock group? Not that you have to classify their
music as anything, but in general I believe that it has much more in common
with jazz, especially the 1970-74 bands. That was one of the things that first
attracted me was the different flavors from mere run of the mill rock groups!

Waiting impatiently for the new recording.
Guy

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:47:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Bob Seger

<< I was putting on three singles recorded by Bob Seger on the Cameo-
Parkway label, back when he was still mostly a local phenomenon. (For my
money, by the way, they're better than just about everything he did when he hit
it big!)  >>

The "Mongrel" album was a monster! Is that available on CD?

Arnie