Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 13:20:38 -0700 (MST)
From: Melle D Starsen
Subject: Re: hearing aids

Thanks to Gregg Williams for clearing up the question of the devices in Steve
Winwood's ears during the Garage Band concert. I'm glad they weren't hearing
aids.

I checked with a local "entertainer" who is a rock musician and has been in the
business for 25 years.  On the condition of anonymity, he told me that these
new monitor devices are commonly used by musicians who do have even a
slight hearing loss, or more often, problems with separating room noise
(i.e,,stage noise) from music.  This kind of hearing loss, he said, is very normal
among performers who've done lots of live concerts throughout the years.

Melle

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 15:29:02 -0600
Subject: Re: SP, 58

Ear monitors:
When you see SW live, you'll see these ear monitors.  He removes them
immediately at the end of the concert.  He can be seen with them (and
removing them) at the Woodstock '94 concert.

Duet with Ruby Turner:
Yes!!!  The duet with Ruby Turner was more soulful than the duet with S.
Crow.  Steve sang the same arrangement, but he sang a little more
emotionally with R.Turner.

Drugs:
Getting stoned is not the end of the world (anybody see Peter Jennings' special
last night?) and Steve has always been upfront about his drug use. It was,
however, so long ago that it's a non-starter in current discussions about him.
The drug use perhaps gave his songs "credibility" during the Psychedelic
Sixties," but none of them would have survived if that's all there was to it.  It's
not that we want to sanitize Steve's image (whatever his image is), but
something a person did 15 or more years ago can't really be considered a factor
when discussing his life or his music today.  In other words, that was then; this
is now.

Steve's hair:
Mary is right.  It never looks the same way twice.  Just as well:  I can date any
video of him I see by the haircut.  Esoteric, but useful.  And Ellie, it was
"short," not "thinning!"

New concert:
Steve and Prince on the same stage.  Oh my, oh my, oh my.  The Universal
Amphitheater is one of the best places to attend a concert.  Big enough to get a
lively crowd, small enough to see and hear everything.  Now, just why did I
leave L.A.?  Someone remind me.

Shannon

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:48:01 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Collaborations

Speaking of Collaborations , I really would have liked seeing SW with Paul
Rodgers 2 great vocalists in one, coming from the same origin they would have
made a perfect team, I especially want to see Steve rock out more with the
Guitar, also an album with Santana could be genuine, what about Robert Plant
another  incredible voice.

About the VH1 thing I am eager to watch it, also about the devices in his ears, I
did not see the concert eventually, but I can tell you that there were most
probably the same kind of devices in his ears when Traffic had made it's first
public appearance since 1974 on the Letterman show, in '94, it is something to
differentiate sounds or other stuff.

Does any body else have the CD single of " NO WHERE IS THEIR
FREEDOM", I was wondering about the rest of the songs, by the way I've got
the CD single of "SOME KINDA WOMEN"  the tracks are:
1- Some kinda Women (Tom Lord Alge Remix- with Electro Guitar)
2-40.000 Headmen (Studio 94)
3- Low Spark (live 94)
4-Some kinda Women (Album Version)

C'mon,  Junction 7 "C'MON"
 BERKIN,,,,

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:23:19 -0500
From: Sharron
Subject: New thoughts

It's me, Sharron, from the woods of North Carolina. Really have enjoyed the
recent volumes of Smiling Phases -- What a group of fans !!

Here are some products of my rich fantasy life -- (Can't share them all, you
know )

Winwood and Bonnie Raitt : Maybe doing "Roll with It"  OR "Running On"
OR a standard Blues, R&B like "Stormy Monday."

Winwood and Shirley Caesar or Albertina Walker or maybe Randy Crawford
doing "There's a River."

Well, told you it was rich. Incidentally, thank you for the tip about "Holy
Ground." Absolutely wonderful and the pipes add a poignant touch. I finally
got the Far From Home CD. Thanks again for the recommendation.

Kind regards,

Sharron

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 00:16:35 -0800
From: Steve Tidwell
Subject: Re: Winwood's drug use

PETER NUTTALL  said:

" ... at the end of BF's Do What You Like, the band members can be heard
calling out musical notes, and Steve says "H", this may be a reference to a bum
note someone plays or may have a more sinister meaning, either jokingly or
serious."

Actually I think that was quite innocent.  For some very obscure reason, the
note B flat is sometimes called H.  I forget just where I picked up that piece of
trivia and I'm not sure what musical tradition it comes from (I suspect, on
hunch alone, it's Germanic).

I remember reading in a Random Note column in Rolling Stone in late 1971
(when "Welcome To The Canteen" was on the charts, prior to the "Low Spark"
being released) that the members of Santana and Traffic had met backstage
after a concert (at which it was said Steve and Carlos had really hit it off) and
"the season's first snowstorm broke out".  I took that to mean there was a lot of
nose candy passed around, which was pretty typical of the time among the jet
setters though not just yet all that wide-spread among the rest of us less-well-to-
do.

I'm sure Steve smoked pot and took acid, sounds like he had a few tastes of
coke, maybe had amphetamines, etc.  I never did get a feel from the press,
though, that drug usage was really much of a problem.  If it was, he seems to
have overcome it.  I'm glad he was one of the survivors.

And I agree--I just can't see Steve and Elton John together, but Winwood and
Clapton...well, I think they have some unfinished collaborations ahead of them.
Winwood and Hendrix could have been dynamite, especially since the word
was Jimi's next step was going to include people like Miles Davis.  It makes me
sad to think about what might have been....

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: LesterJake@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 14:15:37 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Miscellaneous reactions

Reacting to various recent items and issues:

1) Steve and Prince?  Unbelievable!  Craig: we want a complete report on April
11.

2) Regarding Narada Michael Walden, time will tell of course, but I am
encouraged and excited.  Judging from his background and the VH1 concert,
he's a helluva musician and drummer.  More important, some of Steve's best
work has been at the hands of outside producers, who can push him to extend
himself to higher levels, as did Russ Titelman, and limit his tendency to excess
and solipsism, as did Jimmy Miller.  In that sense, I think Steve's enormous
and effortless talent sometimes limits him, making it too easy for him to finish
work (songs, solos, albums) before they have been "squeezed" and stretched for
their utmost artistic expression.  Far From Home, while it was enjoyable in
many aspects, suffered from that limitation, particularly songs like
Mozambique and Some Kinda Woman.  In any case, I don't think we need
worry that Steve's basic voice and "sound" will be co-opted or altered.
Hopefully Walden, like Titelman and Miller, can keep the tunes tight and
provide the expert musicianship to engage and provoke Steve to higher levels.

3) Winwood vs. Rick Wakeman?  Rick may be a better technician (not one of
Steve's strong points for sure), but he can't touch Our Boy in soulfulness, taste
and melodic ideas, i.e. musicality.  Not even close.

4) I have an excellent tape of the VH1 concert.  If someone can tell me how to
dub it, and pay whatever costs are involved, I will be glad to do that.

5) Recent issues of SP have been arriving fast, crammed with good information
and enjoyable debate.  Thank you, Bobbie, and good work, correspondents!
Keep those e-cards and e-letters coming.  We want our SP!

Les

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 1997 01:51:09 -0500 (EST)
Subject: T-shirt special order window closed

The exact orders have gone to the silkscreener and will be printed very soon.
We expect to ship this week.  We have ordered a few extra in the two most
popular sizes large and extra large in case someone needs another one for a
friend or something.

I got tickets for the VH1 Honors concert and will report back to you on it.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 00:21:56 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Coolest Winwood song!

If we have to talk about Winwood collaborations , I have to list his and JC
involvement on "On the road to Freedom" by Alvin Lee & ML as a milestone ,
there are some incredible things on there, but if we have to pick a specific song
I have to go with "Ask Anybody" on the Christine McVie album of 84 , the
keyboard work is extremely  esoteric, and the rhythm guitar is brisk enough to
keep you alive, it has an emotional feel matching "I'll remember" by TOTO,
which is also a cool song but "Ask Anybody" is definitely more structured
having many variations  sort of like "Slowdown Sundown" or "The Finer
Things" and CM voice went perfect with it,

I believe it is the one of the greatest compositions of Steve, alongside
with "You'll Keep On Searching" and "Dust"    Berkin.....

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: LesterJake@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 12:45:52 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Another VH1 Concert!

STOP THE PRESSES: MORE STEVE ON TV!!

While attending the National Cable TV Show in New Orleans this week, I
stopped by the MTV booth and learned that VH1 is planning to broadcast the
April 10 L.A. benefit concert the next day!!   It will air from 9:00 to 11:00 p.m.
(eastern and Pacific times) Friday, April 11, and includes Steve Winwood,
Stevie Wonder, Prince, James Taylor, Chaka Khan, Sheryl Crow and Celine
Dion.  Obviously all this is subject to change, but assuming it comes off as
planned, isn't this a delightful lineup, and aren't the possible musical
combinations just delicious to imagine?

Coming on top of the marvelous VH1 concert of recent weeks, and word of the
new solo album and likely summer concert tour and TV promotional
appearances, 1997 is starting to look like The Year We've Been Waiting For.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
[Again, my copy of the concert is very poor quality; could some kind soul out
there help these desperate people?  Les?  -BG]

From: MAttorney@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 16:07:23 -0500 (EST)

Today is the first time I've been on line in about three weeks (at least) so
I knew nothing about the VH1 special.  I'm SOOOO upset that I missed it!
  Has anyone taped it by any chance?!?!?!

Maria

Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 16:31:41 +0900
From: Hisao Chida

Sorry for another similar message. I am dying to see the performance
of SW on VH1 too!. Is someone who videotaped the show interested
in trading with me for a video copy of SW's live performance in Japan
in 1991 and 1996 which I posted before?  E-mail me privately. If a trade
does not work, I will pay for it!

From: "Gary Ames"
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:40:29 +0000

Great news re the new Winwood album!!

The VH1 show has not been aired here in the UK , but as I now have a
VCR that can play NTSC tapes , I wonder whether I can get a trade
going?

Cheers!
Gary

From: Operanut@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 13:06:36 -0500 (EST)

I am in the same boat as Mary.  I don't have cable (starving musician etc.)
and would like to get a copy of the VH1 concert everyone is raving about.
 Help!!!  Thank you & please e-mail me if you can help.

Sharon