From: "BobbieG."
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 12:15:06 -0700
Subject: Inclusion on an official site

I received email today from the webmaster at Virgin Records, asking me to
write him directions for Subscribing to Smiling Phases, and a short blurb
describing the List.  We're included on the official web-site!!!

Please check out http://www.virginrecords.com/gabfestx.html  to see our entry!

So cool!!

Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 08:56:40 +0100
From: Istituto Cervantes Napoli
Subject: Re: Capaldi's personal life

I wanted to tell Berkin that Jim Capaldi is married to Aninha, a Brazilian lady,
since 1975 (I've seen the wedding pictures, she's really charming) and they
have two daughters, Tabitha and Tallulah. In  1979 Jim wrote a song for
Tabitha which is listed in my discography under vinyl 45.

From: "RAMIL & CO."
Subject: Narada Michael Walden / Collaborations/ Concert dates
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 12:23:59 -0500

session drummer in England  in the late 60's.    He rose to prominence during
in the early 70's (the heyday of fusion) playing drums with John McGloughlin
and the Mahivishnu orquestra.  He is also multi-talented and I believe he plays
a variety of other instruments.

Eventually he stopped playing drums exclusively and began a career as a
producer, and he is a very good one.  As mentioned he has worked with
Whitney Houston along with a milieu of big artists.   Perhaps he will be good
for Winwood, both being established for such a long time and coming from the
same basic background (being English from the hippie generation).  I'm sure
there is a lot of mutual respect there.   Let's hope that this record will be yet
another successful milestone in Steve's fantastic career.

don't make comparisons to someone like Rick Wakeman.   Wakeman is a
classically trained musician with impeccable technique (as you may have
guessed I am a musician) , incredible chops, and a very sophisticated harmonic
sense.    Winwood is self-taught (I think; I don't recall ever seeing that he
attended any conservatory) and has a lot of soul and is a great natural musician
(keyboard, organ guitar, mandolin whatever) and has his own unique style  and
sound.  But don't compare him to someone like Wakeman, who is much more
advanced and trained on a strictly technical and academic level.   I don't think
Winwood would work well with Yes for that reason...Yes is much more
sophisticated harmonically and rhythmically (especially the old Yes).  Let
Winwood do what he does best....Smooth, tasteful soul, Pop, and R & B.

I suggest that SP keep its members up to date with concert dates in all areas of
at least the US so we can be prepared to get the best tickets possible, especially
if he is going to do smaller venues like someone had said.

Exited about the album & tour!

F.Ramil

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 15:36:34 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Narada Michael Waldon

I don't know much about Narada Michael Waldon, who has reportedly
produced the SW's new album. All I know about him is that he also produced
Mariah Carey and that he was a drummer of Jeff Beck Group  ("Wired") and
Weather Report ("Black Market").

I remember seeing him perform on TV three years ago. JT (Japan Tobacco)
have sponsored special concerts annually featuring "super producers." NMW
was chosen in 1994, David Foster in 1995 and Nile Rogers in 1996. Each
concerts featured some well-known artists particularly live performers who at
least once worked with the  producers. Celine Dion was one of them in 1995,
And our hero was  of course the main act in 1996 and performed Higher Love
and Gimme  Some Lovin'. NR wanted SW to come because he admired SW and
was proud of working with SW on Back In The High Life. Interestingly,
Chester Thompson, who I was fortunately able to meet and talk with late last
year after an musician's concert, was with David Foster in 1995 and  Omar
Hakim was with Nile Rogers in 1996. All the three drummers once belonged to
Weather Report. I guess this was simply because they are all great drummers.

What I mean is NMW is a very talented drummer, songwriter and producer.
As we all know, SW himself is a great producer and thus his music is not
needed to be "produced" by hit-making producers as Celine Dion's Grammy
Award winning album was. I want to belive that NMW just "helped"  SW to
creat a great album as an excellent "musician" just like Joe Walsh did on some
tracks on Back In The High Life or simply NMW played Jim Capaldi's part
from a different perspective.

Hisao Chida / Tokyo, Japan

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 11:04:06 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Narada

I want to inform some people about Narada Michael Walden , as most of us
could recall he had a taste of R&B on the Curtis Mayfield Tribute, i also know
that he is a modern thinker and played with Starship, so i was wondering could
this be a "BACK IN THE HIGH LIFE 2" or maybe something like that , i think
and maybe this one could be a little commercial, because of the attitude of
Virgin, but again, as we know he has been working on this one for a long time,
so it would hopefully be musical as well, i am sure that Steve had done his
utmost to make this another joyful as well as a serious experience for all of us.

The single could be out most probably around mid-April, or even earlier , by
the way i had the VH-1 thing recorded by aa musician friend namely "Eri the
Erik JR" who happens to be a student in Berklee in Boston. so from here we
can sociologically prove that SP works and it works like hell indeed.
Greetings from the man with a Traffic tattoo in the middle of Anatolia.

Berkin////

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: Madbotyou@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 09:41:07 -0500 (EST)
Subject: tentative producer

I did see Winwood perform one song: Shotgun. He did great. I hope his voice
is as strong on the new album. If so, I think we're in for a treat.

As for Michael Narada Walden. Here are some the number ones he has
produced: 'How Will I Know" by Whitney Houston, "Nothing's Gonna Stop us
Now" by Starship, "I Knew You were Waiting For Me" by Aretha Franklin and
George Michael (number one immediately after Nothing's Gonna....), " I
Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)" by Houston. Methinks if
Walden is the producer the sound may be popish and very big--in a Phil
Spector-ish kind of way. We'll just have to wait and see won't we? :)

Ken aka Sting

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7

The following is an exchange that Shannon had with the webmaster at Virgin
Records.  She was kind enough to copy me on all the letters and agree to have
them reproduced here. She starts with something less than complimentary on
the official Virgin web-site:

Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 15:03:11 -0600
From: Shannon Van Kirk
Subject: Winwood web page
To: virgin@media.virginrecords.com
Cc: bobbieg@azstarnet.com

Thanks for finally getting something together for SW.  But this website pales
when compared to Scott Tribble's website at Harvard University.

Those of us who have had input to his site know what a labor of love it is.  The
"official" site is sterile and unenthusiastic by contrast.  Surely you can do better
than this for someone who has contributed so much to music.

SW's fans deserve to have information about his upcoming release and tour,
even if the tour is just in the planning stages.  Start generating some
enthusiasm--that's what sells records (but of course you already know that).

Please get someone who likes the guy and his music to put a webpage together
for you.

--S. Van Kirk

Virgin to me:
The page (and discography) on the Virgin site are part of a consistent treatment
given to all Virgin/Pointblank/NooTrybe artists when the
www.virginrecords.com site launched in Sep 96. We've only been live 6
months, and it's been impossible to build out full sites for all Virgin artists in
that time (even the Rolling Stones and Janet Jackson have pages similar to
Steve's). We build out "subsites" for specific artists as their new projects
approach and as dictated by the marketing people that control the budgets (a
website build-out is weighed against other avenues for marketing and
promotion --- everything eventually comes out of one overall budget). SW's new
album is coming, and at the very least we will have news and information and
new downloadables, etc. We are maintaining sites and pages for 85 artists, and
as such don't expect to compete with fan sites, which as you mention, are
obviously "labors of love" --- instead, we try to link to such sites wherever
possible, and give the makers some increased traffic and visibility for all their
hard work. If a Virgin artist doesn't have a built-out section, I like to think of
the page as a starting point anyway...

We'd be happy to link prominently to the site you describe---how about the
URL?

Me back to Virgin:
Thank you for the prompt and polite reply.  We will continue to watch the
official SW site for news.  Because your reply shows concern and indicates
that this is a large and probably understaffed project for Virgin and not just a
slight to SW and his music, I will post your reply to the Smiling Phases Digest,
which is read by several hundred subscribers worldwide.

Here is the URL for Scott Tribble's website for Steve.  It has already undergone
several transformations and continues to grow.

http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~stribble/sw/index2.html

Regards,

S. Van Kirk