From: "Les Jacobson"
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:08:37 -0500
Subject: Garage Band Telecast

According to the program listings from VH1's web site, the All-Star Garage
Band Jam for City of Hope airs Saturday, March 8 at 1:00 p.m., 4:30, 8:00 and
midnight (Eastern and tape-delayed Pacific times).  At 2:30 there's a "two-hour
all-star special...featuring interviews and music from the elite members of the
garage band."

The concert itself is hosted by Paul Shaffer and features Bryan Adams, Sheryl
Crow, Melissa Etheridge, Don Henley, Bobby Keys, John Mellencamp,
Me'shell Ndegeocello, Eddie Van Halen, Tony Rich, Max Weinberg and of
course Steve Winwood.  "A once-in-a-lifetime event...the biggest names in
music together on one stage playing rock classics for a great cause."

From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 03:23:48 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Can't miss

Seems like if you tune into VH1 anytime Saturday you'll catch SW & friends. I
even found a Sunday listing.  Out here in the western time zone the fun starts at
10 AM with the concert followed by the special that examines the musicians in
the City of Hope Garage Band from 11:30 to 12:30.  Then according to my
satellite guide that special repeats at 12:30 to 1:30 followed by the concert at
1:30.  Then we have another shot at the concert at 5 PM to 6:30.  Another
airing of the special at 8 PM followed by the concert at 9 PM till 10:30.  That is
most of their broadcast day.  On Sunday they air the special from 4:30 to 5:30
and the concert probably follows but my satellite guide will not go that far as of
this writing.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 1997 02:50:18 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Special order T-shirts stops in one week

We are getting good response on the T-shirts.  People are eager to get their
shirts so we will have to close the special order window in one week.  This way
we can make a batch and send them out.  We will order some extras but they
may not be the size or color you want so let me know as soon as you can.  If you
need more info e-mail me or visit the SP website and look at the last SP.

[Later today I'll try to get the ordering info from volume 54 uploaded onto the
website.  I hope.  The URL is http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/teeshirt.htm
-BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 14:39:57 -0800
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Re: Steve and drugs

I have no doubt that Steve did drugs, many of us have done our share and
musicians do have a reputation for it. But I would really question the veracity of
any less than first hand report that Steve was a regular heroin user. I say if you
don't have some sources, you can call it speculation and rumor, but don't call it
the truth. And Dave Mason is often referred to by a friend as Mr. Suppository
for his reputation for not showing up to gigs due to drug use. But I don't know
if that's true. Therefore this post spreads speculation and rumor and does not
claim to represent to the truth.

Of course there are very good reasons that public figures, such as musicians,
would deny their drug use. A long time ago I was interviewed extensively by
law enforcement about my drug use and denied everything.

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: GShaw10@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 00:27:08 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Port Chester, NY, in 1970

I have a question regarding old tapes if anyone can answer it.  Does anyone
know which tape of Traffic from June 27, 1970 at the Capitol Theater in Port
Chester, NY is the late show?  The longer one is the most probable.  They both
have identical setlists until song #10, where one (which is probably the early
show) concludes with "Mr. Fantasy" after "40,00 Headmen".  The other goes
from "Headmen" into "Glad/Freedom Rider",  "Feelin' Alright", and "Feelin'
Good". I also have some questions about the exact setlists for the early and late
Fort Worth shows on  October 12, 1974.  If anyone knows, I would be most
appreciative for your help.

Many thanks,
Greg S.

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Madbotyou@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 09:10:36 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: People you'd like Winwood to work with

In regards to who I'd love to hear or have heard Winwood play with, my dream
list would be as follows:

1.) Yes--Traffic and Yes were both in the art rock genre and both attained a
status of respect not reached by most groups. And while Rick Wakeman is a
great keyboard player, Winwood could easily top him and inject just enough
funk to make even the best Yes song sound fresh.

2.) Sting--OK, admittedly I regard Sting as one of the best all around artist in
the world. He's already worked magic with Eric Clapton and I'm sure he and
Winwood, musically, would make a fantastic duo. The only problem -- who
would sing lead?

3.) Let's have Winwood go on tour with Elton John, similar to John and Billy
Joel touring together a few years ago. I'm a little skeptical of John carrying
some of Winwood's tunes, but I can  hear Winwood sing some amazing
versions of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", "Saturday Night's Alright", and
"Burn Down The Mission".

4.) Don Henley--Oh wait, that happens at the All-Star Garage Band concert on
VH-1 (g).

I'll have to add more later, due to a lack of time.

Ken aka Sting

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 00:17:00 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Jim Capaldi's personal life

I was wondering if you knew anything about MR CAPALDI's personal life.  Is
Aninha his wife? Any kids , their age (if so), things like that?  Thanks again!!!

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Gabb, Anthony A"
Subject: "Junction 7" producer
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 16:44:48 +1000

I noticed from one of the recent SP's that SW is working with Narada Michael
Waldon (presumably as a producer) on the new album.  Is anybody very
familiar with NMW's work?  I can only recall seeing him as a producer for
Whitney Houston.  Does this mean the next album will be glossy and very
commercial?  I hope not.  Maybe Virgin is putting the pressure on - they have
really only got one good seller out of SW (Roll With It) since he swapped over
from Island.

As far as producers are concerned I have great respect for SW as a producer
and I'm not sure why he gets involved with other producers from time to time.
I agree that SW's music benefits greatly by involvement from other musicians
to add some different styles to his own however I struggle to see the need to rely
on any other producer's skills other than his own.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 12:07:21 -0500
From: Guy
Subject: Stuff

My name is Guy Augello. I'm from Buffalo, New York.  Our store Speaker
Shop is our work/life. Anyway,  in a way SW has had a profound effect on my
life, beyond his musical influences.  I got in to hi-fi trying to get the most out of
my cherished recordings.  Little did I know it would become my career!

BTW a co-worker told me of an interview he heard with a Virgin rep, on local
radio regarding the new SW album. Perhaps he was mistaken but he heard of a
late March release - is this possible?

Guy

[I answered Guy that we did have pretty definite verification of the May release,
but that his co-worker may have heard of a SINGLE release.  Remember, a
single release could come a month before the album release, so everyone keep
their ears open!  -BG]

From: MMneedsLuv@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 16:57:36 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Smiling Phases, vol 54

That is great news about new album ... will look for him on VH1 show this
Saturday.

Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 20:55:33 -0800
From: MSJ
Subject: THANKS A LOT!!!!

Bobbie: Thanks a lot for the good news.....Its finally coming...Steve's new
album....It's what we have all been waiting for and I'm sure it will be a great
one.......I can't wait...Thanks again for making my day!

"Valerie, call me , call on me...Valerie, come and see me...I'm the same
boy I used to be"

JM Pons--Philippines