Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 01:18:13 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Capaldi song and Tommy question

I've got to ask people about Bathroom Jane , the hip JC song on the "Let the
Thunder Cry "album, it is like a national anthem over here among my friends,
even the ones who listens to Turkish POP, or ethnic Rock & folk, it is really
cool , you can even hear Jim sniffing around the initial moments of the song,,
we love it,, any other comments on the song ,,

One final question , on the 89 version of the Who's TOMMY did SW only play
on Eyesight to the Blind or was he playing on the rest of the album, I know he
played the Guitar on the song ,, by the way while I was in the US I recorded
SW on Rockline 91, or end of 90 can not remember, I could not ask a question
because I was pretty damn nervous about it, I was shell-shocked, any way if any
body interested I could copy and send , I do not know how much to charge (but,
not much I suppose),,

Berkin , the Turken,,,,

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 00:28:11 -0800
From: Steve Tidwell
Subject: People you'd like Winwood to work with

One of my fave fantasies is what other musicians I'd like Steve Winwood to
work with.  Seems most people in this group agree Winwood does better
working with other musicians than doing everything himself.  When he does it
all, it tends to sound too much the same.  "Arc of a Diver", for instance, was a
fine album but it just had a sameness that wasn't as satisfying as "Back In The
High Life" where Steve worked with a lot of other people.  As much as I love
"John Barleycorn", it really did sound like what it started out to be--a Winwood
solo album, with supporting players added later.  (The Rolling Stone review at
the time complained: "If this train is moving, why isn't the scenery changing?")
Whereas the "Low Spark" album, flawed as it was, displayed a real variety.

Anyway, enough editorializing. I really liked Winwood playing with Al
DiMeola in Go.  Al was at his fiery peak in those days, and his solo on the live
version of "Crossing the Line" was orgasmic.  I would've loved to hear Steve
and Sandy Denny do a whole album together.  Two of the best voices of their
generation....

What about Santana and Winwood?  I know they crossed paths in the early 70's
-- what would that have sounded like?  Or Steve and Yes?  Peter Gabriel? Or
Bryan Ferry and/or Roxy Music--that seems interesting to me.

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 1997 00:21:40 -0500
From: Ed
Subject: pondering  what if

I was able to get my hands on a video copy of Blind Faith @ Hyde Park. There
are only 15 minutes of performance (Do what you like, Sea of Joy, Well
Alright) but most interesting is a short interview with SW, where he basically
denounces the pop scene of the times as bullshit (his words, not mine)and states
his and the band's main focus is making good music, not appealing to any fads.

Does anybody out there know about the circumstances of the first Traffic
breakup.  All I've read  was that there were artistic differences. Certainly this
could apply to Dave Mason whose comings and goings were well documented,
but not to the rest of the band. Perhaps SW was enticed by Eric Clapton to leave
and start a new band, or did JC and CW not want EC to join Traffic. Whatever
the result Blind Faith was certainly not a partnership in the strictest sense. As it
turned out SW did the majority of the songwriting, lyrics, vocals etc.  No
wonder he was pissed-off after Blind Faith (his words, not mine) SW has said
he found Blind Faith not as fulfilling musically as he had hoped. Perhaps this
experience could explain his reticence for the spotlight, and disinterest in being
a STAR. For a glimpse of his feelings check out Stranger to himself off JBMD.
I still enjoy the Blind Faith album very much and feel it stands up very
strongly.  I can't help feeling however, there is something missing.  Maybe
some JC lyrics and CW colors would have been just the missing ingredients!
Although Blind Faith left some bad feelings between EC and SW ,it seems they
eventually made up as evidenced by EC's rainbow concert, ARMS concert etc.
If you can get a video of the arms concert at one point, when SW is soloing on
b-3 the camera catches EC smiling then nodding approvingly as SW plays.
Hope this won't be the last time we see these two together.

Following the shadows of the sky,

Guy

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: BigStar303@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:32:04 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Seger and Stevie

I can't recall if this has been mentioned or not previously, but I got a bit of
surprise recently when dubbing some songs on a tape for someone.

I was putting on three singles recorded by Bob Seger on the Cameo-Parkway
label, back when he was still mostly a local phenomenon. (For my money, by
the way, they're better than just about everything he did when he hit it big!)

Anyway, toward the end of the last of them, "Heavy Music," Bob is heard to
sing "Stevie Winwood ain't got nothin' on me."

I got a big kick out of it.

-- Mike

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Stephen MacDougall"
Subject: Steve and drugs; the Hall of Fame; the editorial
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 13:53:12 -0500

In Volume 52 Arnie wrote:

> Gee, am I wrong? I thought that Winwood's use of heroin and other
> "downer" drugs was well known and very evident throughout "Low Spark".
> I've never seen a reference to Steve having any such troubles here in
> SP. So, am I way off base or are we just too polite to mention Steve's
> troubles?
>
> I am certainly willing to stand corrected.

Actually, Arnie, you are correct.  Dave Mason said last year in Goldmine
that "Welcome To The Canteen" was supposed to be his re-entry into Traffic
for good.  However, the band moved at too slow a pace for him because they
were always stoned.  That's why he ended up recording an album with Cass
Elliot instead.

To put it another way, Traffic was buddy-buddy with the Grateful Dead...You
make the call.

And then Craig wrote:

> My visit to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was disappointing because I
> didn't find a mention of Steve Winwood anywhere.

There are a lot of great artists not yet in the Hall of Fame.  For example,
Fleetwood Mac has yet to be inducted (and they've been around for nearly 30
years now). The only Mac related stuff in the hall of fame is Bob Welch's
guitar that he used on several Mac albums.  I've always wondered how they
decide who's in and who's out.

And responding to a review of SP in "Coloured Rain":

This list reaches people all over the world.  One of the benefit of this is that
fans from one continent can find out what's available on other continents.  For
example, The Best Of Traffic is not available in the USA, but it is available in
Europe.  By establishing a relationship with someone from Europe on the list,
an American could obtain that CD if he or she so desired (which, other than for
the pictures, I don't recommend...buy "Smiling Phases" instead).  And this
benefit is only the tip of the iceberg.   Since I've been on-line, I've been able to
get many rarities that I would never have been able to find elsewhere, such as a
1995 video of Fleetwood Mac with Dave Mason.

Steve MacDougall

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 17:11:53 +0100 (MET)
From: Jan Inge Sommerseth
Subject: Re: "Coloured Rain" editorial

 When I opened up Smiling Phases 51 and 52, and your letter to me today I was
struck in horror - What have I done? I sincerely apologize if my editorial in
Coloured Rain 23 can be read like I don't like Smiling Phases.  That was not
my intention. What I meant was that some of the things used in Smiling Phases
might not be interesting for Coloured Rain readers, but I see now that I should
have pointed out that a lot of the stuff really is, and I will correct this in the
next issue. I only pointed at the negative sides and not at the positive sides of
Smiling Phases, which I believe are so obvious that I forgot to mention it. The
answers I got on my query for the Traffic lyrics was most welcome, thanks to
all. And this really shows the strong side of Smiling Phases. To your point
about 'a waste of time' - this is taken out of it's context, this is referred to when
it's not on paper you only waste time not paper if you find it uninteresting. This
was positively meant as I have to use paper and therefore wastes both your time
and paper if you find my dribblings uninteresting. English is not my main
language and if this could be mistaken then I'm sorry for that. Your other point
'only mail' is worse, I really don't see the problem here. When I describe what
Smiling Phases is about I have to say that it consists of mail from the
subscribers + of course some writings from you which is held in the same style
as the other mails. If I'm wrong correct me please. And I totally agrees with you
that your distribution is faster than mine and that we fulfill different functions.
As you say yours is a place to exchange thoughts and opinions while mine is an
outlet for reviews, research and information, plus reprints of old informative
magazine clippings. I really don't see Smiling Phases as a competitor to
Coloured Rain, we are both non-profit organizations supporting the same artist,
but we do have a different profile. And that was what my comments was all
about. I would not bother to print your address if I meant it was no good, but
some of your content are very little rewarding to read in my opinion. For
example people writing in telling that they like Steve Winwood, and like or not
like Phil Collins - I couldn't care less. But that's your editorial decision, and it
wastes only my time.

If you are still mad at me Bobbie I understand, but I still hope we can work
together in the future. I still very much likes to be on your mailing list, and I do
like Smiling Phases. Keep up the good work, Bobbie.

sincerely
Jan Inge Sommerseth

[I wrote Jan back, apologizing in my turn for defensively flying off the handle,
when I obviously mis-took his meaning.  I think that as English is not a first
language for Jan, he may not understand the pejorative connotation of the word
'only'.  So somewhere in the virtual reality of cyberspace, we kissed and made
up!  --BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: Paolo "Bussola" Marchiori
Subject: Re: Chris' death
To: bobbieg@azstarnet.com (BobbieG.)

Tell the mate that asked what caused Chris' death that I heard it was liver
failure.

That's all I know...
-- Paolo

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:11:38 -0600
From: srseim@students.wisc.edu (Steven Robert Seim)
Subject: Aiye Keta, Eight Gigs, and GO

Thanks to some helpful suggestions from SP subscribers, I was able to get
"Aiye-Keta" from CD Now.  For those of you who (like me) aren't familiar with
it, CD Now is a music store on the World Wide Web.  Simply type "CDNow"
on any Web search screen, and it should come up.  And you can find the album
on CD Now by typing "Aiye-Keta" (with the hyphen) under title or "Third
World" under artist (it won't come up under Winwood, or Kabaka, etc.).  The
price is $15.

I very much enjoyed the album.  Most of the other songs sound like Happy
Vibes.  If Traffic had done several more instrumental songs in 1973, this is
probably what they would have sounded like (although Amao's horn playing is
different than, and not quite as good as, Wood's).  Only the last song, Shango,
was a disappointment--too disorganized, no underlying rhythm or melody to be
detected.  I'm curious--does anyone know anything else about this group?  Did
they do other albums without SW, or was this a one time project?

I'd also like to add that I've thoroughly been enjoying the "Eight Gigs a Week"
SDG compilation.  Being a younger SW fan, I had not had the opportunity to
hear most of those songs until now.  It just proves that they don't always put the
best songs on "Best of..." albums.  It's great to hear SW doing the blues.  I wish
he'd try the blues again today--it'd probably sound even better.

I was also lucky enough to find the two Go albums at a used record store a few
weeks ago.  There's some weird stuff on those albums, but some of it really
rocks--I especially like Man of Leo and Time is Here.  I know it'd never
happen, but I'd like to hear SW redo those two songs.  The originals leave the
listener wanting more.  They don't seem to be done to their full potential.

Steve Seim

[CDNow can be found at http://cdnow.com  Note that there is NO 'www' in the
URL; kinda weird.  --BG]

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 02:16:16 -0500 (EST)
From: pharaoh@digital.net (Dave Davis)
Subject: Mulberry Bush

Remember me?  The one with the Traffic tattoo?  Via Smiling Phases I found
someone else in the world who has a Traffic tattoo, and he's in Turkey no less!

Anyhow - the real reason I'm writing I to tell you about a great find of mine.
Today I was browsing through a used vinyl and bootleg CD store and came
upon something very interesting.  A pristine copy of the 1968 soundtrack for
"Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush!!"  I was so excited, the one Traffic
song I've never heard, "Am I What I Was or Was I What I Am." The vinyl was
in great shape, and sounds wonderful.  Well, just thought I'd write and share
my joy with you.

--dave davis