VOLUME 51, sent Valentine's Day, February 14, 1997

Topics in this issue:
  1. Re: Patti Scialfa
  2. SW videos - question and answer
  3. Re: Eric vs Steve
  4. Re: guitarist vs keyboardist
  5. Spiritual expressions
  6. Winwood in Italy, and Atlanta; and Chris
  7. Shootout at the Fantasy Factory CD
  8. Let's get SW into the R&R Hall of Fame
  9. Video reviews
 10. Re: Smiling Phases, Volumes 47 - 50
 11. Coloured Rain editorial
 12. GO on CD

From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 1997 03:11:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Patti Scialfa

<< (She's worked with Springsteen, >>

You bet she has. She's his wife.

BTW, stopped by the web page and snatched the Traffic gif for wallpaper use.
Thanks a load.

Arnie

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:10:48 -0500 (EST)
From: "Robert W. Hall"
Subject: SW videos

I have only seen the 'Back in the High Life' video on VH-1's Big 80s'.  This is
the only SW video I have seen.. (I must have been the only teenager in the '80s
without MTV :(  Were his videos ever compiled into a collection, commercially
or privately?  I'd love to have a tape with all of them..

Robert Hall rhall@eecs.umich.edu

From: "BobbieG."
To: "Robert W. Hall"
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:43:35 -0700
Subject: Re:  SW videos

No, afaik, his videos were never compiled into a collection, although several of
us probably have most of them, taped from MTV or VH-1.

I myself have 13, and here's the list:

I Will Be Here
Back in the High Life
Valerie (remix)
Higher Love
Holding On
Don't You Know What the Night Can Do?
I'm a Man
Freedom Overspill
Hearts on Fire
The Finer Things
While You See a Chance
Roll With It
One and Only Man

On the Video page of Scott Tribble's SW page
(http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~stribble/sw/videos.html) he lists 5 more: Night
Train, Still in the Game, the original Valerie, Here Comes a Man, and
Nowhere Is Their Freedom. Anyone have a copy of these?  (Mary?)  Maybe I
could make a club-compilation available to Subscribers, or something
like that.
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:37:57 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Eric vs Steve

In Volume 50 Mary wrote:
<>

Gee, am I wrong? I thought that Winwood's use of heroin and other "downer"
drugs was well known and very evident throughout "Low Spark". I've never
seen a reference to Steve having any such troubles here in SP. So, am I way off
base or are we just too polite to mention Steve's troubles?

I am certainly willing to stand corrected.

Arnie

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: ASchulberg@aol.com
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:38:09 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: guitarist vs keyboardist

<< And both are beyond the realm of talented at their  respective instrument
(Yes Winwood can play others, but not  nearly as well as he can the keyboard).

Funny, I always thought of Winwood as a better guitarist than keyboard
player. His guitar solos have wonderful starts and finishes while sometimes
on keyboards he "noodles". Check out "Pearly Queen" vs. "Low Spark".

Arnie

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 13:07:30 -0500
From: Sharron
Subject: Spiritual expressions

I particularly like Winwood's spiritual expressions, and would be interested in
knowing more - origins, etc. One of my favorites is "There's a River" which
seems like a hymn to me or certainly a spiritual. Never heard another artist
(gospel or otherwise) render another version, but it's fun to speculate. More of
this religious, spiritual thread is certainly evident in "Finer Things" and "In the
Light of Day". ..Agree ?

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:51:52 +0100
From: Istituto Cervantes Napoli
Subject: Winwood in Italy, and Atlanta; and Chris

I would like you to know this: I wonder if our friend Stephen Lawrence knows
about the track "John Barleycorn" being the main song of a soundtrack of a
very successful Italian movie called "Nirvana" by film maker Gabriele
Salvatores: it is waking up a lot of interest about Traffic over here. Probably my
Milan mate told you about it.

I'm really glad I can ask any Traffic fan in the world if there are any video or
audio tapes of their performance at Atlanta Festival around 1970-71.

Also I would like to know if among you there are any people who were
particularly interested in what Chris did. To me he was Traffic, Mr. Fantasy
himself. The Far From Home record was excellent, but no way can be Traffic
without Chris. What is your, and indeed other people's, opinion?

Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 13:02:34 -0500
From: Jeff Holthenrichs
Subject: Shootout at the Fantasy Factory CD

Any idea why the Shootout at the Fantasy Factory CD (even the MFSL original
master) leaves almost two full minutes off the second song, Roll Right Stones,
when compared to the LP release?

There seems to be a failure among the record companies to properly press CDs.
There is a 5 minute loss of Bob Dylan's Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands from
Blond on Blond. Mike Oldfield's Tubular bells is sped up from the LP version.
An early  version of Aqualung I bought was missing the final 30 seconds of the
last song, which ties the whole bloody concept album together. Little  Feat's
waiting for Columbus CD is missing 2 songs so the double album will fit on
one "specially priced CD". In my opinion, if the artist released a work one way,
the CD should be identical.  I very much want a CD pressing of Roll Right
Stones as it appears on the album.

Any answer (or complete CD) would be great.

Thanks
Jeff Holthenrichs

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: LoudnCraig@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 04:00:30 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Let's get SW into the R&R Hall of Fame

My visit to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame was disappointing because I didn't
find a mention of Steve Winwood anywhere.  True, they have the 25 year thing
about their first recording, but Spencer Davis, Traffic and Blind Faith qualify
and they should all be there.  As brought up in the chat room this week the old
double album compilation on vinyl titled "WINWOOD" from 1970 should also
qualify him.  Yes, they have their voting procedures, but I think a grass roots
letter writing campaign couldn't hurt.  Certainly they could add ONE artifact
from him to their collection today.   There are artifacts from Nirvana, U2 and
Run D.M.C. for cryin out loud.  BTW, for some of us who are also Beatle fans
they inducted the Beatles in 1988 but only have artifacts from John.  Address: 1
Key Plaza, Cleveland, OH 44114.  Phone: 216 781-7625.  Fax: 216 781-1832.

Craig

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 19:00:44 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Video reviews

The first track of the Royal Albert Hall live was a pleasant surprise. Can't Find
My Way Home, one of the Blind Faith numbers, which Eric Clapton performed
in Japan in 1990 with Nathan East singing. It was also a fun to find that the
drummer Russ Kunkel looked like a famous professional wrestler in 1989.

The music videos are full of pleasant surprises too. I have seen very few of them
so far. I hear that the record company wanted SW to sing a duet with Michael
Jackson but SW hated the idea and decided to do what he wanted to do -
working with JC as Traffic. It was good that SW did not work with MJ because
SW can't dance as well as MJ!

The guitarist on the Higher Love video seems Nile Rogers. Am I correct? The
I'm A Man video is strange because none of the SDG is on it and instead Brian
Jones, George Harrison, John Lennon and Ringo Starr are on it. (I guess why
Paul McCartney was not on it was because his wife was once in love with
SW...?)

I found the cover photo of the Chronicles album was from the Freedom
Overspill video. And yes, the Finer Things video is a fake live performance
because the guitarist is not playing the right chords at all! Also the While You
See A Chance video is very funny. What the hell are these two people in black
tights?  Seeing JC on drums on the One And The Only Woman video was
another fun.

I have these video copies of SW's live performances in Japan.

I. March 22, 1991, at Yokohama Arena, Yokohama

I'm A Man
While You See A Chance
Heart's On Fire
Another Deal Goes Down
One And Only Woman
In The Light Of The Day
Valerie
Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Glad
Feelin' Alright
Medicated Goo
Split Decision
Finer Things
Roll With It
Higher Love
Back In The High Life Again
Gimme Some Lovin
Players:
  Drums:                  Russ Kunkel
  Percussion:             Luis Conte
  Bass:                   Michael Rhodes
  Guitar/keyboards/vocal: Larry Byrom
  Sax/keyboards/vocal:    Randall Bramblett

II. April 16, 1996, at Budokan, Tokyo
Higher Love
Gimme Some Lovin'
Main musicians:
  Drums:          Omar Hakim
  Bass:           Bernard Edwards (who passed away right after the shows)
  Guitar:         Nile Rogers, Slash (of Guns 'n' Roses)

The tracks performed in 1991 are fuzzier than those in 1996 because the set is a
copy of a video copy which another Japanese SW fan sent me. Last two tracks
are copies of my Super-VHS video copies I took from a TV program for myself
and thus they are much clearer.

If anyone wants a copy of them, email me privately.  Because I am not a boot
collector, I hesitate to trade for rare live performances. But if you have good
collection of live or promo videos, I would like to trade for them.  If you have
nothing to trade for, I will send you a video copy in exchange for US $10,
which barely covers the cost of a 120 min VHS video and the shipping cost.

All the best,
Hisao Chida / Tokyo, Japan

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 08:21:11 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Smiling Phases, Volumes 47 - 50

Here are my comments on Volumes 47-50 of Smiling Phases :

SP47 : I agree that "Dream Gerrard" is Traffic's finest !

SP48 : Lyrics of "YSIYS" corrections - The chorus is "right or  wrong", next
verse "the white owl's on the wing" (from memory only).

The Traffic symbol was a new thing by a friend of the group, "based" on the
Celtic Wheel of Fortune. Hope you've all seen the scanned Traffic Symbol on
Bobbie's home-page - scanned from a 1973 hand-drawn version by Steve
Darlington (he did lots of them).  It should point anti-clockwise like on the
original Traffic albums - Island got it wrong on "Low Spark" and some
subsequent albums.

The 3 Capaldi CDs were released by Edsel in the UK. See previous SP for
more details.

My articles/cuttings from 1970s magazines have a few real-time references to
Traffic Live November '70" - I'll have a look. I think SW dropped the tapes
from a plane, as he thought they were poor!!

SP49 : The version of Happy Vibes on "The Finer Things" is 2 minutes shorter
than the original on Aiye-Keta - It's a great album - Buy it !!

I'll see what I can do about the Capaldi request.

SP50 : Clapton is clapped-out. (Nice pun!!)

I must vote for the T-Shirt, if it's not too late - it's now 1:20pm on Friday 14th
Feb 1997 here in Cheshire, England.

Happy 50th Birthday to Smiling Phases.

Bye, Mike Hargreaves.

11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 07:06:41 -0700
Subject: Coloured Rain editorial

In No. 23 of Coloured Rain, the European Winwood fanzine, the editor Jan
Inge Sommerseth wrote:

"Speaking of issue 50, the Internet Steve Winwood digest called Smiling
Phases will probably reach that number before the end of the year, issue 43
came October 26 and with an average of 3 issues a month this is moving fast.
Smiling Phases contains only mail sent in by the 400 or so readers, questions,
answers, and short stories.  Not all is interesting, but as long as it's not on paper
the only waste is your time."

As Jan is one of our Subscribers, I replied to him via email, which I reprint
here.  I will let you know whether he prints my letter in No. 24.

Dear Jan,

Email mailing lists and Usenet newsgroups are unique in the annals of history -
they provide a forum for peer groups to discuss what is interesting to them
REGARDLESS OF GEOGRAPHY.  No matter where you are in the world, you
can find like-minded people and exchange thoughts and opinions.

To characterize Smiling Phases as 'only mail' and 'a waste [of] your time' was
to miss this point entirely.  It was unnecessary of you, uninformative to your
readers, and unkind to mine, who are also its authors after all .  I notice that
you have not sent in an Unsubscribe, so you must find SP useful to you in some
way; perhaps you realize that we will disseminate news to far more people far
more quickly than will you, that we fulfill a different function?

Also, my thanks for finally ascertaining correctly my gender in No. 23.

Sincerely,
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)
Administrator of 'Smiling Phases', the Steve Winwood Digest
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/maillist.htm

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:55:51 -0500 (EST)
Subject: GO on CD

I have spoken to Trevor Wyatt at Island in London. (He compiled the Winwood
Box Set etc.)  I asked him about the re-release of GO on CD. He wasn't sure,
but he thought that Island had lost the rights to the  recording. He said he
would look into it, so we'll just have to keep waiting!

Bye again, Mike.