Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 15:06:03 -0500
From: "Paul Frenette"
Subject: Similar SW artist

Hi Bobbie, wanted to share with you (and anyone else) about a Canadian
musician called Stan Meissner. His music I find is a lot like SW's and in fact
he produces/directs/writes, etc. all his songs. He has put out only one album
thus far, "UNDERTOW" a couple of years ago. He did have a hit back earlier
called "ONE CHANCE" that I managed to obtain from a radio station locally
since it hasn't been released for sale to the public. So if you get a chance,
try and get his CD called UNDERTOW and let me know what you think? I
listen to Stan whenever my SW CD's are too hot from too much playing or my
wife says she's going crazy hearing SW again!

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:41:37 +0100
From: Bjorn Sandstrom
Subject: Re: mystery song

Patrick David wrote:

>The DJ's that play usually refer to it a sung by a "young Stevie
>Winwood" he has a short cut in the middle of the album in a high
>falsetto voice, it is a song about the roadies in the band that set up
>and take down the equipment. Winwood has like I say a short cut  in
>the middle rocks like maybe a 60's or 70's tune. some one told me it
>is "no nukes concert" with Springsteen and J.Brown, and someone has
>said no it is winwood with a early traffic album. I would really like
>to find this and purchase it. Can you help me name that
>album/group/cut?

This sounds like a description of "The Load-out" by Jackson Browne from
"Running On Empty" - a great live album from 1977. I have no memory of it
being included on the "No Nukes" album, but it could have been performed at
the concert.

Now the seats are all empty
Let the roadies take the stage
Pack it up and tear it down
They're the first to come and last to leave...

I'll have to go home and play it just because of this.

Bjorn

From: Rocker22@aol.com
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 18:31:45 -0500 (EST)
Checked my LP of Jackson Browne's Running On Empty.  Song is "The Load
Out" which segues into "Stay".  The falsetto singing is on "Stay".

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 97 16:02:56 EST
From: "Adrian Vockeroth"

It sounds like Patrick David's "mystery song" from Smiling Phases Volume 48
is the Load Out by Jackson Browne.  The falsetto piece which Patrick attributes
to Steve Winwood is actually a then "rare vocal performance" by David
Lindley.  It was on the Running on Empty LP but may also have appeared on
the No Nukes LP as I know that Jackson Browne was part of the No Nukes
performance.

Adrian Vockeroth

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Madbotyou@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 12:44:15 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Opening Act

In regards to an opening act for Winwood. This may sound nostalgic, but I
think Howard Jones would be a very good opening act for Winwood. They both
are big on keyboards/piano. synthesizer. And both are extremely talented. It's
just my two cents worth. For the record, I think Robert Cray was his best
opening act from past tours.

Ken aka Sting

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 1997 09:09:45 -0700
Subject: SP By-Topic

If you haven't checked it out recently, Smiling Phases By-Topic has a
brand new look.  Go to http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/bytopic.htm
if you have questions that you think might have been answered
previously in this forum.  Let me and Steve Smith know what you think
of the site!
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Fischler, Sol  (NBC)"
Subject: Thoughts, movies, drummers, & boots
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:17:00 -0500

Hi All,  and Happy New Year.

Saw the movie "Message to Love" yesterday---about the concert on the Isle of
Wight in 1970.  Great to see some classic performances by Hendrix,  the Who,
the Doors,  among others.  No Stevie,  but enjoyable regardless.  The big tease
for me came during the end credits,  when one of the song credits mentioned
Family, but there was no footage of them during the film.

Got my hands on a Today Show interview from Nov. 1990--right after the
release of Refugees of the Heart.  Not too much substance,  but nice to see clips
from SDG doing Keep on Running (Beat Club-?),  and what look like clips
from Traffic Live at Santa Monica.  I'm also trying to get my hands on not only
the VH-1 Traffic special from 1994,  but the original archival footage that went
into making it.(Nice having friends in "high" places.)

By the way,  was I stoned,  or does anyone else remember a Traffic "video"
from the mid-70's where the music is the Canteen version of "Dear Mr.
Fantasy", but the only "actors" are Winwood,  Capaldi,  and Wood against a
white backdrop.  (I remember seeing it in black & white,  but thinking about it,
that's probably just the TV we had at the time.)  Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

Re: Berkin's comments -- I listened to Dream Gerrard again last night,
and you're right -- Capaldi does indeed put in some tasty playing,  but I still
don't think it comes close to anything Jim Gordon did for Traffic.  By the way,
I never said Capaldi isn't a good drummer.  On the contrary,  I've always
respected him verymuch.

I've hated Ginger Baker ever since reading an article that said the reason
Capaldi stopped playing drums for all those years was because Baker had
started hanging out with the band,  and Capaldi became completely
intimidated.   When I saw Traffic during the Eagle tour in 1974,  Winwood
didn't pick up his guitar all night,  trying -- and badly -- to imitate all his guitar
work on keyboards,  and Chris Wood didn't blow a sober note all night.
Capaldi was the only one who held the band together.  And when I saw them
again at Jones Beach in 1994,  Capaldi in my mind definitely got the Most
Improved Musician award for more spirited and inventive play than anyone had
a reason to expect.  He traded duty with that ex-Santana drummer,  and
equaled,  if not surpassed,  anything his partner did.  But I think the most
glaring comparison comes from listening to that new issue of Clapton's
Rainbow Concert,  where Capaldi  &  Jimmy Karstein play on all the songs
Gordon had mastered the 2-3 years earlier.  Even with all the super talent on
guitar,  organ,  etc.,  I couldn't help but feel something was missing to take the
music to the same level as live Derek & the Dominoes,  with just the 4
musicians.  Okay,  okay, I'll get off  the soapbox now.  If you want more
specifics,  E-mail me.  Please.

I got the song lists from 4 of the 6 volumes of that Clapton Anthology I
mentioned last time if anyone is interested.  Here goes:

BF=Blind Faith  YB=Yardbirds  CR=Cream
DD=Derek & the Dominoes
DBF=Delaney & Bonnie & Friends (with George Harrison)

Volume 1
1-Layla -                    DD - Studio Outtake 1970
2-Well Alright -           BF - Hyde Park Debut Concert 1969
3-Sea of Joy  -              BF - Hyde Park Debut Concert 1969
4-Told You For the Last Time   -      1st solo album alt. mix
5-Let It Rain  -                                1st solo album alt. mix
6-Lonesome and a Long Way From Home - 1st solo album alt. mix
7-Got to Get Better In a Little While -DD- Johnny Cash Show 1970
8-Matchbox -                               -DD- Johnny Cash Show 1970
9-Blues Power -                           -DD-Johnny Cash Show 1970
10-Wah Wah-instrumental w/ G. Harrison-All Things Must Pass session
11-Sunshine of Your Love -     CR-Ricky Ticky Club-UK-Jan. 15 1967
12-Lawdy Mama-                    CR-Ricky Ticky Club-UK-Jan. 15 1967
13-Sweet Wine-                       CR-Ricky Ticky Club-UK-Jan. 15 1967
14-It's My Life Baby-Clapton w/ Buddy Guy & Jr. Wells Sept 29 1970
15-Louise -                 YB     -L'Olympia Paris 1964-UK TV Live

Volume 2
1-Little Wing-DD-Live @ the Fillmore East outtake
2-Cold Turkey-                              Plastic Ono Band-Alt. take
3-Slunky-                                     1st solo album Alt. Mix
4-Bad Boy-                                   1st solo album Alt. Mix
5-Lonesome & a Long Way From Home-1st solo album Alt. Mix
6-Blues Power-                                 1st solo album Alt. Mix
7-Bottle of Red Wine-                       1st solo album Alt. Mix
8-Lovin' You Lovin' Me-                   1st solo album Alt. Mix
9-Don't Know Why-                          1st solo album Alt. Mix
10-Don't Know Why-Alt. arr.-           1st solo album Alt. Mix
11-Easy Now-                                   1st solo album Alt. Mix
12-Art of Dying-instrumental w/ G. Harrison-All Things Must Pass
13-Sleeping In The Ground- BF - Hyde Park Debut Concert 1969
14-Under My Thumb-          BF - Hyde Park Debut Concert 1969
15-Crossroads-                      CR-Goodbye Tour outtake-LA 1968
16-Sunshine of Your Love -   CR-Goodbye Tour outtake-LA 1968
17-Brown Sugar-w/Rolling Stones-12/14/1970-Keith Richards Birthday
Session

Volume 5
1-Clapton interview-I Feel Free-Cream BBC Session Jan 10 1967
2-NSU  -                                  Cream BBC Session Jan 10 1967
3-From Four Until Late   -       Cream BBC Session Jan 10 1967
4-Sweet Wine   -                     Cream-BBC Nov 8 1966
5-Clapton interview-Wrapping Paper - Cream-BBC Nov 8 1966
6-Lawdy Mama  -                 Cream-BBC Dec. 9 1966
7-Traintime  -                       CR-BBC Dec. 9 1966
8-Politician -                        CR-Oct 18/19 1968 Goodbye Rough
Mix
9-I'm So Glad -                     CR-Oct 18/19 1968 Goodbye Rough Mix
10-Sittin on Top of the World- CR-Oct 18/19 1968 Goodbye Rough Mix
11-Poor Elijah -                  DBF-Copenhagen Dec. 1969
12-Where There's A Will -  DBF-Copenhagen Dec. 1969
13-My Baby Specializes -    DBF-Copenhagen Dec. 1969
14-Don't Want to Discuss It-DBF-Copenhagen Dec. 1969
15-Deserted Cities of the Heart-DBF-Copenhagen Dec. 1969
16-Politician - CR -Oakland 10-4-68-Live Cream Vol.2-Rough Mix

Volume 6
1-After Midnight-                   1st solo album Alt. Mix
2-Steppin' Out -                       CR-BBC Session Jan 9 1968
3-Politician -                           CR-BBC Session Jan 9 1968
4-Sittin' On Top of the World-CR-Ricky Ticky Club-UK-Jan. 15 1967
5-Feel So Bad   -                recording session w/ Martha Velez 1970
6-Instrumental Jam 1-       BF-The Morgan Studio London 1969
7-Instrumental Jam 2-       BF-The Morgan Studio London 1969
8-Instrumental Jam 3-       BF-The Morgan Studio London 1969
9-African Jam  -                 BF-The Morgan Studio London 1969
10-Hey Joe  -                      BF-The Morgan Studio London 1969
11-Well Alright (Take 1)    BF-The Morgan Studio London 1969
12-Passing the Time -Scatafaragus       CR - Oakland Oct 4 1968
13-Matchbox -Take1-DD-Johnny Cash Show Nov 5 1970
14-Matchbox -Take2-DD-Johnny Cash Show Nov 5 1970
15-Tell the Truth-     DD-Civic Auditorium Santa Monica 1970

If there are at least 5 or 6 people interested in any one volume,  then I figure it
would only cost about $5 per copy,  which would include return postage (And
I'll  pop for all the padded mailing envelopes).  I'm hoping that this "chipping-
in" idea isn't too  "retro-"  or offensive,  because I want to get the set before
they crack down on this store.  (My favorite CD store near home got hit and
now sells only general release material now -- sorry to lose such a convenient
resource for boots.)  If anyone's interested,  please reach me at
sol.fischler@nbc.com and let me know. (Berkin -- you might want to try one of
the volumes with DD material -- if it's up to their usual par,  it'll be quite eye-
opening ... uh,  ear-opening-?)

That's it for now.  Time to get back to work.

-- Sol

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 13:32:05 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Wonderful news!

Hi, Bobbie and SP subscribers!  Great news in the Feb. 1, 1997 issue of
Billboard:

City of Hope All Star Garage Band Benefit Concert will be aired in entirety
on March 8, on VH-1 due to huge demand via phone calls, etc.  Article goes in
depth about the concert, its charitable contribution, and the performers IN
PARTICULAR THE MOST TALENTED PERSON ON THE STAGE IN THE
OPINION OF ALL THERE - STEVE WINWOOD!!!  (quote from Mellencamp
who is glowing in his tribute - but a little off on Steve's age- he says he's 10
years older than John (more like 3)... why quibble, though.  Mellencamp was
profuse in his praise of Steve. It's nice to see it in print again!  Enjoy this
wonderful news.  I sure am!

Mary from Minnesota

From: SayOnceMor@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 04:13:21 -0500 (EST)
Subject: City Of Hope, Opening Act

Hi, all,
     Found this on the Springsteen mailing list.

  Subject: Mighty Max at City of Hope Benefit to be aired
  Date: Tue, 28 Jan 97 9:14:09 EST
  By BRADLEY BAMBARGER

[snip]

  On March 8, VH1 will broadcast the entire, unedited City Of Hope/All-Star
Garage Band show in what will be the only airing of the event. The broadcast,
to be simulcast on radio (via a distributor to be announced), will provide further
fund-raising support for City of Hope with telethon-style breaks between the
songs. Viewers will be encouraged to make donations to the nonprofit medical
and research center via a toll-free line donated by Ticketmaster. Those who
donate $20 or more will earn a limited-edition All-Star Garage Band T-shirt
designed by Tommy Hilfiger and a copy of the VH-1 ``Big '80s'' compilation
CD.

Besides Crow belting out ``Bitch,'' the concert featured several artists switching
off on lead vocals. Adams and Mellencamp teamed on ``I Fought The Law,''
Henley hollered ``In The Midnight Hour,'' Etheridge romped through ``Stay
With Me,'' and Winwood sailed through his classic hit with the Spencer Davis
Group, ``Gimme Some Lovin','' with the entire band _ which through the night
included Bon Jovi guitarist Richie Sambora and trumpeter Jim Price as well as
a rhythm section of Me'shell Ndegeocello on bass and Narada Michael Walden
and Max Weinberg on drums.

And as for an opening act, I'd like to see either Tina Arena or Patti Scialfa open
for him.  Tina Arena is someone that I just discovered.  She's an Australian
singer, has a song that I hear occasionally on the radio, "Chains."  I like her a
lot.  Very upbeat.  Patti Scialfa I think is a wonderful writer.  She released an
album way back in 1993, but never toured to promote it.  Her lyrics are
wonderful.  You have to listen to her album a few times to really get into it, but
it's excellent.   (She's worked with Springsteen, Southside Johnny, Rolling
Stones/Keith Richard and Joe Grushecky And The Houserockers, that I can
think of right off the top of my head.)

Andrea

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 02:37:39 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject:  Clapton? Wise guy..

  Hey people,  what do you think of Clapton? That is a very good question.

 Answer : Jealousy  wrong answer OK lets be objective, he is a fine guitarist
(consider May, Blackmore, Walsh, Lee, Kossoff , even our master) he can play
the damn thing, this is all too fine but don't you think that there is something
wrong? First of all he is too commercial, I mean Winwood could have done an
unplugged and would have sold 10 million, it would be very easy for him to do
it, but he did not do it, maybe he'll do it later, that's not our problem,  why does
everybody go crazy for Clapton ?

 Maybe a charismatic last name : well could be... who knows  I'm going to list
down some facts now for you to understand what EC is all about .. not to forget
these are my own opinions and ideas , I'm not an ANTI-CLAPTONIST, but I
am a WINWOODIAN and I do not like what I see.

 FACT #1) Clapton started to use Strat in  late 60's when he first heard it's
amazing sound during a friend's concert , guess who that friend is NOT, it's not
Hendrix, it is Winwood.

 FACT #2) EC always says he adores Steve's music and follows everything he
 does and thinks that he has made a huge contribution to modern music.

 FACT #3) For many of the blues experts over here in Turkey (and believe
there are many) think that he copied Freddie King and his voice, he did not
create his own style, unlike Steve eventually.

 FACT #4) Did he pay tribute to greats?  I mean people like Pop Staples,
Clarence G, Brown and Hubert Sumin were trying to earn the day when he was
swimming in money  O.K. he might have appeared on some charity albums but
the adequacy is under question. The answer lies in the video for HERE COMES
A MAN!!!!  Simple as that.

 FACT #5) Did he ever sing lead vocals in real terms in his career in any of his
groups so vocal wise do not rate him ever,  ever along side WINWOOD,
PLANT, COCKER or RODGERS, never, ever do that mistake.

FACT #6) Tears in Heaven, OK, fine song and we are all sorry about the kid
but where did he find Will Jennings, I mean I personally never heard of a guy
called Will Jennings. What about the producer of JOURNEYMAN?  I mean I
personally never heard of Russ Titelman.   C'mon, think guys, think .

FACT #7) What has he been doing lately since the Journeyman album he is
doing zip,,, live albums, unpluggeds, meaningless duets, a terrible blues cover
album (I mean he can never sing like Muddy Waters he can only sing like
Clapton)  so where is a 8 or 10 track pure Clapton written album.  Can't he
afford it? C'mon, guys and gals think

FACT #8) How many songs had he written in his career? Maybe many but
what is he known for?  Marley, and Cale , and by the way Layla is not purely
Clapton never forget J. Gordon.

Finally what I am trying to say is that Winwood is God, not Clapton and this is
totally objective just compare guys , I'm not trying to instigate a fight but I just
wanted to point these out if any one agree or disagree please mail  ....

Everybody keep up the headless horsemen vibe and  take
care   BERKIN,...000) > >

[Berkin, I was more or less with you until Fact 6:  Will Jennings has written
many, many songs with Winwood, including Higher Love, While You See a
Chance, and Back in the High Life; and Russ Titelman produced the album
Back in the High Life.  I mention this now just so I won't be inundated with
posts on this subject.  Comment on anything else, though, gang!  --BG]

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 06:27:58 -0700
Subject: Corrections

One of the Subscriber wrote to me recently and asked that I correct his post to
make it conform to the general rules of grammar and punctuation.  Here's what
I replied, for everyone's benefit:

Frankly, I do make corrections to posts.  I generally clean up the spelling and
grammar and sometimes the punctuation before I send them out, because I
realize that for many of our Subscribers, English is NOT their first language.
Most of these posts are well-reasoned, insightful, and thoughtful, and
presenting them to the rest of the group in a way that appears uneducated is
doing the author a disservice.  I try to retain the original 'flavor' and
idiosyncrasies of the author's, just put the posts into a more standard format.

Many times the author will also include a personal note to me, which I will
snip out; and sometimes a person's .sig is just too darn long, so to make it fair I
delete everyone's .sig, except their name.

I hope this doesn't offend  anyone. I mean well.  And if I ever 'clean up' a post
of yours in a way that offends or irritates you, just let me know, and in the next
issue I'll post an apology or retraction or whatever you feel appropriate.

Whew!  Long explanation!
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 09:44:27 -0700
Subject: Steve in drag?

I was watching part of my collection of Winwood MTV videos over the
weekend, watching pretty closely, and a gal in one of them made me take a
second look.  Rewound the tape a couple times, and looked again.  If you have
"Holding On" on tape, fast-forward to near the end.  There're 2 girls sitting in a
diner, laughing over a letter.  Is the one on the right Steve in drag?  Just may
be! (For those of you who don't understand English idiom, 'in drag' means
dressed as a woman, generally fairly outrageously.)

While we're at it, which is your favorite video?  I like "Hearts on Fire" best, he
seems to be having so much fun with Genia, and a sense of humor is not always
evident in Our Hero.

Send me your thoughts!
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: MHargre586@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 14:21:43 -0500 (EST)
Subject: AIYE KETA

It's here !!!

I have today received my CD of AIYE KETA by "The Third World" or
"Winwood/Kabaka/Amao".

I've not played it yet : I'm on my way home now to listen.

Happy Vibes.

Mike Hargreaves.

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 08:49:53 -0700
Subject: Can I have a volunteer?

Okay, folks, we have someone who checks regularly with Steve's management
office for info about the new album; we also check periodically with Virgin, but
they are so un-forthcoming that we never get anything out of them.

One of the Subscribers suggested contacting Jim Capaldi's management, since
he very likely worked on the album.  Checking on the back of a couple albums,
I found the name and address of the company.  It's

John Taylor
PO Box 272
London N20 OBY

But this is from 1988, so I don't know if it's still current.  Could one of you UK
Subscribers check into that for us, please, and report back?
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)