From: "Justin Porter"
Subject: Higher Love
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 1997 20:13:18 -0600

I was told to look here and see if anyone has the video "Higher Love".

Thanks,
Justin Porter :-)

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 14:40:36 -0700
Subject: Lyrics of Your Silence Is Your Song

I have received a lot of requests for the lyrics to Your Silence Is
Your Song, and so today in some of my  free time, I took a
pen and paper, poised a finger over the Pause button, and tried to
figure them out.  Here they are, and let me know if you think
they're correct:

Close your eyes and you'll do very well
No more lies and no more fairy tales
Hanging out, out on the street
You have no place left to go
If the whole world passes you by
Don't you cry

Close your eyes and don't feel anything
Lullabies are all that I will sing
Stay right here, wait for the night
Let it come down over you
You've seen all you wanted to see
Stay with me

Chorus:
When there's no more right from wrong
You still have the night so long
And the silence is your song
And you know where you belong

Close your eyes, the white dove's on the wing
Hear her cries, and take the sleep she brings
When the clouds fill up the sky
And the shadows hide the moon
Sleep will give you all that is left -
Emptiness

Chorus (repeat three times and fade)
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 22:09:19 -0500
From: araymond@roanoke.edu (Raymond, Andrew George)
Subject: Symbol

I am new to the world of "Traffic" and I have a question for you die-hard fans,
which I hope one day to call myself.

I was wondering what the meaning of the Traffic symbol is, you know, the one
that appears in their albums, the one which creates that circular pattern with
the square at its center.  The reason for my query is I was thinking of silk-
screening one onto a tee-shirt and did not want to tell people, if they ask,
that I had no idea what it is.

Also, if it has any historical significance, for the music of Traffic is deeply
rooted in both American blues, R&B, and traditional British music, I do not
want to be embarrassed by some history major who knows what it means and
then laughs at me for being a dork ( I prefer to be called a dor'que')

So, If anyone has any idea what it is, please fill me in.  It would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanx:
Mr. Strobey Echoes

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: BobbyM3228@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 1997 03:13:49 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: tour in Italy

Bobbie, tell Paolo  that we did Milan and Florence on the 1983 tour.

Bobby Messano

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Stevsmith1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 01:29:07 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Aiye Keta

Just checked CDNow for this title.  They give a release date of February 25!
 So close and yet so far.  I've been waiting a long long time for this one,
like a lot of other people to be sure...

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 1997 11:52:28 -0700
Subject: Traffic logo scanned

One of our Subscribers  has
scanned a good copy of the Traffic logo and emailed it to me, in .jpg format. I
have exported it to .bmp, moved it into my C:\windows directory, and now it's
wallpaper on my desktop!

If you'd like a copy, go to the mailing list page
(http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/maillist.htm) and right click on one of the
logos - I put them on either side of Steve's picture; they're in transparent .gif
format.  If you don't have Web access, email me for a copy.
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 01:24:02 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: where is it?

I've learned today  from Q Magazine that the new album was to be released in
April and maybe later on I thought it was the beginning of the new year.  April
is the middle of the year, what is he doing all this time?  In terms of the
information I had, he must be recording for the last two years! I had a dream
last night I saw the album and it had 19 tracks on it, isn't it exciting?  Anyway
is he preparing a double like Springsteen or what we want more and we can not
wait,  please try to learn.  Best wishes for all of us in the new year.

 BERKIN

PS: where were those new 3 Capaldi CD's released, UK or US?  Because I
ordered them from the US but could not get them yet.... Thanks

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 23:05:02 +0000
From: steven austin
Subject: Welcome to the Canteen questions

I'd be interested in your comments about my understanding of the November
1970 album and my question about the Welcome To The Canteen benefit.

Didn't the story go that "November 1970" (that's the title United Artists gave
the album, and how I saw it listed in the Schwann catalog at the time...) was
finished and the master tapes were lost in transit to the disc mastering facility
(sort of like Paul McCartney's movie...)?  You mentioned acetates and UA
turning them down, but we certainly would have bootlegs if the material made
it that far down the pipeline, and Steve would likely have owned the tapes all
these years if UA had refused them.

A question:  Do you know much about the Welcome To The Canteen benefit
program?  Were there other bands, and did Island record them?

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 01:03:57 -0500
From: araymond@roanoke.edu (Raymond, Andrew George)
Subject: Re: It may be high heeled but the spark it generates is definitely low

Steven Robert Seim wrote:

> >I agree with you totally.  When I first bought 'Low Spark'  I
> >was extremely disappointed. I like the songs that begin and end
> >the album, 'Hidden Treasure' and 'Rain-Maker' but other than
> >that it all stinks.  I do think that the title song could have
> >been better, however.  I seems that the band rushed it, didn't
> >spend much time fine tuning it.  I mean, I do believe it has
> >some noble characteristics, but it turns into mush in the
> >middle.  Pure mush.  I think they should have just named it
> >mush.  Mush mush mush mush.

O.K., I think I'll send this in to SP and explain my position on the album a little
clearer.  Like I said, the only two songs that I truly enjoy on 'Low Spark' are
'Rain Maker' and 'Hidden Treasure.'

And, like I said, I believe the middle of the title track, not including its more
noble characteristics, turns into complete, inconsistent mush, much like the
stuff you hear at Circuit City when a five-year old starts to pound on one of
those cheap casio keyboards.

I know the length of the song can't be the problem, because look at songs like
'Had to Cry Today' on the 'Blind Faith' Album.  That one is long and rocks all
the same.  Plus, on that album, although Winwood did not write it, is 'Do What
You Like' by Ginger Baker, which also rocks.

So, judging from these two songs, and other lengthy, yet at the same time,
shorter songs than the ones mentioned above (notably 'John Barleycorn',
'Freedom Rider', and 'Glad', all being on the 'Barley Corn' album), length of the
song itself does not seem to be a factor.

Also, you can eliminate the problems that might arise because  Steve was
working with a few new musicians on top of Capaldi and wood, for Winwood
had worked with many musicians throughout his career, and judging by the
musicianship on all the other tracks on 'Low Spark', the newbie's seem to be
good players.

So, what I suggest is to try and see how long Traffic spent in the studio during
the recording of 'The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys,' for in that I see the
problem.  This is only a theory of course, and I was wondering if any one with
any knowledge of how long they spent in the studio would help by e-mailing
me.

Ever since Mr. Seim posted his disapproval I have been absolutely engrossed by
the subject, and though I'm not crazy, I have not been able to get much sleep
because of the question.(Just Kidding)

Thank you,
Mr. Strobey Echoes

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:45:00 -0700
Subject: Happy Anniversary

Steve and Eugenia Winwood celebrated 10 years of marriage on Saturday, Jan
18.  Happy Anniversary!
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 1997 09:45:00 -0700
Subject: Choose an opening act

In the next tour, who would you like to see open for Steve?  Someone
who's done this before or someone totally new?  A national act or
someone local that you think should get some exposure?

I've seen 3 opening bands for Steve: Roger McGuinn, Robert Cray, and
Sonia Dada.  Much as I like Roger, it wasn't effective as an opening
(I think he may have opened just here in Arizona, as his mom lives in
Tucson) - too laid back.  I like Sonia Dada better than Robert Cray,
so I preferred them, but as far as being a good choice for Steve,
it's a toss-up.

The next time, I'd like to see a strong female singer opening,
someone who could come out and duet later.  I'm dreaming here, but
how about Bonnie Raitt?  Or the Cranberries?

If it were someone fairly local, I think I'd like to see Billy Bacon
and the Forbidden Pigs open for him.  Very exciting
blues-tex-mex-rockabilly trio!  Their hit is "Una Mas Cerveza" (very
bad Spanish for "One More Beer") that would tear the roof off Desert
Sky Pavilion.

Your choice?

(Sorry I'm posting so much in this issue, folks, but I haven't posted
for several months, and I had a lot of ideas this time.)
---
Bobbie   (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 09:23:59 -0800
From: Patrick David
Subject: mystery song

I have been bugged by a song I heard on the radio and I am unable to name it.

The dj's that play usually refer to it a sung by a "young Stevie Winwood"
he has a short cut in the middle of the album in a high falsetto voice,
it is a song about the roadies in the band that set up and take down the
equipment. Winwood has like I say a short cut  in the middle rocks like
maybe a 60's or 70's tune. some one told me it is "no nukes concert" with
springsteen and j.brown, and someone has said no it is winwood with a
early traffic album. I would really like to find this and purchase it.
Can you help me name that album/group/cut?