Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 15:04:40 +0200 (EET)
From: Berkin Altinok
Subject: Questions from a newbie

 Well I've seen your address in the SW page on the NET, and I have seen
all the comments and discussions, they were all very interesting and some
were shocking as well as exciting, by the way I happen to be greatest
Winwood fan in Turkey and most probably in the Middle East. I have seen
Steve in Milwaukee in 1991 (July), it was the Refugees tour, I would have
found about you earlier but I've recently connected to the Net. Also I'm a
senior political Science student in Bilkent University in Ankara.

The biggest problem we have is that every one knows Clapton not many
know our legend, and I'm trying to spread his popularity over here, my
concern for Steve at the moment is the new Album, I have seen an article
by a Nashville writer (in Billboard) saying that he was putting the finishing
touches to a Latin-tinged album, and this sometime around the end of
1995, but we all know that it'll be in the beginning of the new year,
(hopefully, because I personally can not wait anymore, and thirsty for
more).  The biggest problem I face is to find CD's especially Capaldi (All),
I only have "Some Come Running" and "Let the Thunder Cry" and the
Record of the Contender. Do you know any more on CD.  (I've ordering P
of Darkness but can not reach it) Also at the time of Woody's death he was
preparing for a solo, I wonder if any material from those sessions exist, and
many other stuff especially Bootlegs of all, because I have very few
(Cleveland 87, mine 89 and Blind Faith Gotebourg), How can get more,
please help.

Finally I've recently heard of the new babies from your Web site (I'm glad
we have a boy) and of course the last lady, Congratulations!!!!!! (a little
late though).

That will be all for now. Again thank you very much. I will be waiting for
answer.....

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 12:10:33 -0600
From: srseim@students.wisc.edu (Steven Robert Seim)
Subject: Lyrics? And Low Spark opinion

Hi!  I've just joined the group, so please forgive me if any of this sounds
ignorant or has been covered already (although I have perused most of the
old volumes).

I'd like to know if anyone out there knows the lyrics to the songs on "Steve
Winwood" (especially Midland Maniac and Vacant Chair), Your Silence is
Your  Song, and the songs on "Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory" (Jan
made as good an attempt as I could in the last issue, but we all need
something definitive).

At the risk of stirring up a hornet's nest (from the tone of a lot of the
old postings), I'd like to know if anyone else out there feels (as I do)
that "Low Spark" is actually probably the worst (yes, that's right)
Traffic/SW album.  To me, the title track is adequate, but is definitely
outdone by the other long Traffic songs (Feelin Alright, Roll Right Stones,
Dream Gerard), which all have more punch than the beloved Low Spark,
and none of the other tracks really stand out either.  I especially object to
having Jim sing on Light Up and Rock & Roll Stew (when SW is in a
band, there's only one person who should be handling lead vocal!).

As far as listing favorite SW songs, it isn't possible for me to pick just
five (although I've always been rather partial towards 40,000 Headmen,
Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring, Well All Right, Freedom
Overspill, and The Finer Things, and several others), but I do know that
Low Spark would not be near the top of the list.

Steve

[The lyrics to Vacant Chair are on the Home Page, but we need the others,
folks! For Shootout, see below.   -BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:46:32 -0800
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Review: Emerald Studio Sessions

When Steve Winwood was about to release Refugees of the Heart he
recorded an informal promo with Jim Capaldi of some of his old and new
favorites which was broadcast locally in Nashville (I believe). The bootleg
recording of this event is a wonderful opportunity to hear Steve 'unplugged'
and informal. The interview shows him in characteristically modest, and
Capaldi seems to take over the story telling gaps... recounting how they got
into Flower Power when a friend returned from the US saying that
'something was afoot on the west coast' and then Steve giggles. But the true
gems here is Steve's wonderful bluesy, stride piano work, very reminiscent
of his Spencer Davis Group ballads. I would love to hear a concert of Steve
performing in this manner. Many of these songs end abruptly, when Steve
forgets the lyrics, but nonetheless its a totally charming performance.

The songs include:
Valerie
I'm a Man
Dear Mr. Fantasy (yes on piano!)
No Face, No Name, No Number
I Will be Here
Don't You Know What The Night Can Do
While You See A Chance (performed a la Ray Charles)
Empty Pages

Capaldi does percussion and background vocals. My version of this tape
also includes the commercially released recordings of Don't You Know
What The Night Will Do, Another Deal Goes Down, Empty Pages and
John Barleycorn. I wish they had left these out.

cya

Alan

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 1996 00:13:39 +0900
From: Hisao Chida
Subject: Dave Mason's laser disc

While looking through a catalog of the laser discs released in Japan,
I found this:

-----------------------------------
Dave Mason - Best Live 1991 Tokyo

70 minutes

Feelin' Alright
Let It Go
Let It Flow
World In Changes
...and others, 15 tracks in total.
-----------------------------------

I know that once a Traffic live video/laser disc was released but
it seems out of print now. And there are NO Traffic or Steve Winwood
laser disc available here.

I have been wondering why no such videos or laserdiscs are released
for a long time. So, Dave Mason's laser disc is a great surprise to
me.

As I wrote before, Steve had a live show in Japan in 1991, which I went to
and was broadcast on TV. I failed to videotape the broadcast and
had wanted to get a copy of it. Some month ago I finally got a copy of
it from a SW fan and am always thinking of getting it available to the
people on this list.

Unfortunately I have only one video deck and have been suffering illness.
But I finally started to feel better and find someone who me a video deck.
Of course I cannot get a copy of it to all the people on the list. Anyway
if I make it, I will write about it and send a copy to Bobbie at least.

Hisao Chida
Tokyo, Japan

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 13:55:32 -0500
From: araymond@roanoke.edu (Raymond, Andrew George)
Subject: Low Spark meaning?

Hello, I am rather new to the traffic scene, yet I have become a big fan
in a very short period of time.  Could you straighten something out for
me.  Just what the hell is the significance of the lyrics to the song,
"The low spark of high heeled boys"?  I just purchased the album
recently and I don't feel like analyzing the meaning myself, just like I
did to every Steely Dan song two years ago, please help me.

Andrew

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 1996 11:36:44 -0800
From: Mark Kabakow
Subject: Tapes?

Do you have any live tapes to trade? Do you have a list? I'm still working
on mine but I have Traffic in 1967, 1970 and 1974  and Winwood live in
1984, 1986 and 1991.  Please let me know. Thanks.

All the best,
Mark

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 1996 10:35:23 -0500
From: "Paul Frenette"
Subject: Questions about SW

I've been wanting to ask the following questions for a while now and hope
you don't mind them all and can respond. No rush of course so this can
wait till you have time.

1. Is that SW's handwriting on "Back in the High Life" album cover and
song titles?

2. Who is the woman in the photos on this album?

3. Does SW smoke?

4. Where is Nicole Winwood as referenced in "Talking Back to the Night"
album?

5. Why doesn't anyone write back and who do I ask about SW concert? I
wrote to  the USA address and they didn't reply, not very professional in
my estimation.

6. Where or can I get videos of Steve performing? Did he/does he do any
videos for MTV?

7. Can I write directly to SW or to his agent/fan club?

8. Where did you get the name "Smiling Phases" from? What is the origin
of it? Why not "Smiling Ways" to match SW's initials?

Thanks Bobbie! Hope you're having a hot fall day down there in sun
country!

Paul Frenette

[Folks, I took the liberty of answering some of these as well as I could.  If
you disagree (!!) or have more to add, email me!  -BG]

From:     BobbieG.
To: "Paul Frenette"
Subject: Re: Questions about SW
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 07:20:22 -0700

1) Don't know, good question.  It looks too neat for his writing, but
does have some similarities.  Maybe they picked out a font that looks
like his writing.

2) I've always assumed it was just a model.

3) Used to, quit in the early 70's when he was so ill.

4) They were divorced during the High Life album (my personal opinion is
that Freedom Overspill was written about it.  There are some pretty
startling autobiographical ref's in it).  She was originally from California,
so may be living there now.  One of our Subscribers may know, one of the
regulars in the chatroom who's also a librarian and comes up with the most
interesting stuff.

5) They're jerks, morons, and lazy, and those are their GOOD points.
Seriously, the only person I know who's ever managed to get a response is
a lawyer and wrote on her firm's stationery.  Virgin freaked, thinking it
was some sort of legal thing, and answered her.

6) Best bet is from one of us on the list. There aren't any available
commercially, but some of us have taped a few off MTV or VH-1. The list
of which songs is on Scott's web site, or you can go directly to
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~stribble/sw/videos.html

7) The agent is Ron Weisner, and his address is 9200 Sunset Blvd,
Penthouse 15, Los Angeles CA 90069.  But he won't answer you either!
The only fan club is this one, and a couple snail-mail newsletters,  one here
and one in Europe.  If you're interested in the US newsletter, write to
Madbotyou@aol.com and tell him I sent you.  (His real name's Ken and
he's real nice.)

8) The Subscribers at the time submitted suggestions, and Scott and I
made the ultimate decision.  It's the name of a Traffic single, released as
the B side of Hole in My Shoe in 1967.  It's also the name of the double-
CD retrospective that Island put out in 1991.  We just felt it was
appropriate, as we wanted to emphasize that we would discuss all aspects
of SW's career.

Stay warm!

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 07:49:12 -0700
Subject: T-shirt design voting page

The t-shirt design voting page is up and waiting for you to cast some
votes!  It's accessible from the mailing list page
(http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/maillist.htm)  or you can go there
directly at http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/teeshirt.htm

Casting a vote does NOT imply that you will eventually want to buy
a tee.  We're just trying to get an idea of which design people like.

If you don't have Web access at all, email me and I will email you a
zip file with the designs.
---

Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:12:22 -0500
From: "Paul Frenette"
Subject: More SW questions

1. Did SW make a commercial a while back with Michelob beer using the
"Talking back to the Night" song? I seem to recall, before I knew of SW,
that there was this very haunting commercial featuring this song and I
swear it seems to me thru the fog of the years that SW was in it? I would
love to see it again if anyone has it taped.

2. Regarding contacting SW, is there anyway of contacting him via mail?
If  not, why not? Does anyone know how he feels in this regard? Could we
get him to post a message or two on the homepage?

3. Has SW been on any talk-shows in the recent past? Does he grant
interviews? If so, does anyone have it taped?

4. Is there a reason why SW uses a drum machine vs a human drummer?
Has he stated what the reasons are?

Thanks Bobbie!

Paul Frenette

From:     Self
To: "Paul Frenette"
Subject: Re: More SW questions
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 1996 11:53:26 -0700

1) Yes, a song was used on the beer commercial, but it was "Don't You
Know What the Night Can Do?" instead of Talking Back.  The commercial
looked very much like the video for the song, as far as I can remember.
And if you look closely at the "Roll With It" video, that's a Michelob bottle
on the organ.  My husband still calls Michelob 'Stevie-beer'.  ;-)

2) He is an extremely private person, and with a wife and 4 small children,
is justifiably nervous about anything even close to stalking.  I also believe
that he knows about the home page and about SP, and can only guess that
he has his own reasons for not participating.

3) At the beginning of a tour, he usually shows up on the Tonight Show,
David Letterman, and the Today Show.  I have a tape from Letterman in
94, from the last tour, (it was just him playing a song, no interview) but
missed the other 2.  I also have a tape of him on Arsenio Hall in 91.  There
was a huge interview he gave Rolling Stone in '88, when Roll With It came
out, but for some reason, he doesn't talk to them anymore.  There are some
good interviews in Musician and Goldmine magazines as well.

4) I'm clueless on this one!

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 1996 19:53:57 -0500
From: Ed
Subject: Blind Faith movie ,etc.

With the recent release of The Rolling Stones "Rock n' Roll Circus" movie,
circa 1968, isn't it interesting to think of some of the other unreleased films
of this period?  I'm thinking specifically of Blind Faith @ Hyde Park in
June of 1969.  This concert was filmed by Robert Stigwood & associates,
but was not released ,because of what was considered a rather
underwhelming performance by the boys.  Granted it wasn't flawless but
the various bootlegs of the show reveal some fine moments.  I have seen
snippets on an MTV Eric Clapton special and was fascinated! After all this
is one of the most famous rock concerts of the period. It's a shame to think
of this film wasting away.

In regards to Monsieur Winwood, I consider myself one of his most ardent
admirers, as well as harshest critics. That being said, I never fail to find
pleasure in his talents even among his most mundane works. I would say I
prefer late SDG, 1968-72 Traffic, and Blind Faith. I'm still waiting for his
masterpiece! Hopefully with the new album he'll collaborate with some
new musicians, I think input from other players could light a fire. I was
hoping that the 94 touring band might do something in the studio. I saw a
show @ Canadaigua near the end of the tour and the band was really
together! (That night Capaldi's' voice was shot, and Steve sang most of
Light Up or Leave Me Alone, as well as playing some terrific guitar!

By the way I've never considered Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory one of
my favorite albums, but the newly remastered Mobile Fidelity version is
quite excellent. There is a new appreciation of the depth of the recording,
as well as the harmonies of Steve & Jim's on Roll Right Stones .You can
almost understand Steve's vocals on the title track! The other Mobile
fidelity offerings are all good as well. Now if  they would only do John
Barleycorn.

Finally being a new subscriber I should list my favorite Traffic songs
1) Walking in the Wind (love that bass line,a nd such soulful keyboard
2)Stranger to Himself (solo winwood, scratching at his soul, with Blind
Faith angst.
3)Low Spark (groundbreaking, timeless classic)
4)Empty Pages (perhaps his best solo?)
5)Graveyard People (gloriously dark &depressing)

Till next time, Once again I'm northward bound,

Guy

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: RRopek@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 17:35:47 -0500
Subject: Traffic lyrics, etc.

First off, I've been enjoying the 'new blood' - all the new members who
have contributed great stories and reminiscences of Winwood, Traffic et.al.
I for one would like to hear more from people with good 'Traffic stories'.

There have been periodic calls to transcribe "Shoot Out At The Fantasy
Factory" over the last two years, and today, I made it my task (yes, I had
nothing better to do - I'm on vacation !).  While I'm not guaranteeing 100%
accuracy, I think it's damn close - you be the judge.  To be fair, to do it I
had to listen to the CD and a live BBC version, and even so, it was a pain.
 Also, since I have the BBC tape that I listen to in the car, there is
another song that I think I can clarify.  Jan Inge Sommersmith made a
brave attempt at "Hope They Never Find Me There", but left a few gaps.
On the BBC tape Mason's vocal is less 'phased' and the lyrics were quite
clear, so I'll throw that one out too.

SHOOT OUT AT THE FANTASY FACTORY

"You ride the morning lightning, coming from a mile away
Every time I hear you say, that I don't have to be this way
You sneak up on a mean moon, the glasses shatter too soon
When the spell is mentioned, the shadow slips away

The good man gets a good wife, while the bad boy's cleaning up his knife
And all I got is trouble and strife, to help me on my way
You're running 'round to nowhere, someone said it might be death
I'm telling you - beware, the hand that bites shall feed

Investigating downtown, Sergeant Wilson got shot down
The National Guard came all around, but they couldn't find his knees
Mickey Mouse was all we found, Donald Duck began to shout
The rumors that were putting down said they would get theirs next"

Yeah, that third verse seems to come out of far left field - perhaps the
effect of some chemical kicking in ?

HOPE THEY NEVER FIND ME THERE

"Seems that I just had to stay, the birds have flown, the sky's turned grey
The bees are baffled by the flower, plastic plants that never die
Hope they never find me here

I walked upon synthetic grass, where metal people said don't ask about the
fields where you once played, atomic factories have replaced them
Hope they never find me here

The horse I ride has lost a shoe, the petrol pumps are dry
The car I drive is broken down, the blacksmith's trade is dying
The meals I eat are changed into concentrated package

The hour has come to be as one, the time to live has just begun
The world is waiting, it's a fact, to stage it's last and final act
Hope I never find me there"

Not too optimistic.  What was that line from "The Graduate" ? - "Just one
word about the future, plastics !"

Finally, Sol's quest for the mumbled words at the end of the third verse of
"Dear Mr. Fantasy" - it has always sounded like "Please, Mr. Fantasy..." to
me.  Anyone else ?

Dan R.

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: "Fischler, Sol  (NBC)"
Subject: Bootlegs & other neat stuff
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 1996 14:05:00 -0500

Just got my hands on a Traffic bootleg -- Boston Music Hall Oct. 14,
1971.  The play list is Medicated Goo, Light Up, Glad/Freedom Rider,
Hidden Treasure, John Barleycorn, Rock n roll Stew, Many a Mile to
Freedom, Low Spark, & Gimme Some Loving,  and a "studio out-take" of
John Barleycorn. I'm supposing it's the same personnel as either Canteen
or Low Spark.  I'm also hoping it doesn't sound like it was recorded in the
bathroom.

I think the Deadheads have the right idea -- I love the concept of the
Wanted/Trades classifieds in the back of RELIX magazine. My mouth
waters over some of the rare stuff I read about here in SP,  and I'm willing
to post a list of stuff I have to offer in exchange. I can even photograph
album covers -- Aiye Keta,  Mulberry Bush, GO, etc.  Is anyone else
interested in this kind of trade thing?

Also, I was looking through a CD store in Lower Manhattan the other day,
and came across, among other things, a series called "Eric Clapton
Anthology" on MUM records, which is at least a 6-CD set. (They only had
numbers 1, 4, & 6).  It contains a lot of rare studio & concert stuff from
Blind Faith,  Cream,  Derek,  etc., and I'd love to get it,  but at $25 per
disk, it'll take a couple of career changes and at least one inheritance
before I could even consider the entire set.  So -- let me float  an idea ...
if there are enough of us out there who are interested,  how's the concept of
chipping in for it?  (Remember being 8 years old?)  Depending on the
response, I could get it and make copies on either cassette or DAT for all
concerned for probably a few bucks each per CD.  It would be time
consuming,  but I think  ultimately worth it for us all. (Bobbie--is this
OK?)  If this sounds good,  I'll work on getting song lists for each
"volume" so anyone could pick & choose.  (If not, maybe I'll just sell one
of my kids...)

And is the Traffic CD of the Woodstock ?94 performance commercially
available, or is it just hit and miss at bootleg shops?  (I "missed" down at
the shop with the Clapton disks...)

Happy Holidays to All.

-- Sol