Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 22:10:26 -0400
From: dss162@psu.edu (Scott Smedley)
Subject: Re: Songwriting on Last Exit

The 'Blind Man' songwriters Scott and Malone, may be the same two who
wrote 'Turn on Your Lovelight,'  one of the Grateful Dead's most popular
covers.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 16:34:38 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Where to find pre-Traffic recordings

I've done some research on finding pre-Traffic recordings of Mason, Capaldi
and Wood. You can buy the CD of  Chris Wood's group, Locomotive,  through
Beatnik record: Their URL is http://blue.nowcom.co.kr/~simoni/index.html

You can hear cuts from Capaldi's and Mason's group the Hellions on two
compilation records of mid-60's british rock: Quick Before They Catch Us and
Midland Beat Groups of the 60s. Quick Before They Catch Us is available
through CD Banzai. Their URL is http://www.cdbanzai.com/. Midland Beat
Groups is available through CD Connection. Their URL is
http://www.cdconnection.com/

Alan

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 06:15:12 +0800
From: Black Stump
Subject: Re: Instrument changing

I had the pleasure to experience the last concert of the 1973 (ish) Traffic
farewell tour in Ludwigshafen, Germany. It was a mammoth show, with Steve
announcing at the beginning that this being their last concert together, Traffic
would perform until they dropped. Which they did, with first casualties
occurring after about 3 hours or so, having played just about the entire Traffic
catalogue and several covers of other musicians/bands of the time.  Steve had
played just about every instrument available during the night, breaking into
several breathtaking solos on guitar and Hammond organ. He was also the last
to succumb to fatigue, fare-welling his fans after more than four hours non-stop
music.   I'll never forget that gig.

Cheers,
Andre Foulon

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4\ From: MomeyKate@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 22:28:35 -0400
Subject: Re: Who has died

My list of people who are no longer "with us" but had the opportunity to play
with SW - (or work with him in some capacity):

?Sonny Boy Williamson (Dead?)
Andy Cavaliere (former manager)
Bernard Edwards
Bill Haley (played on same bill as SDG in France in 1966)
Brian Jones
Chris Wood
Dan Hartman
Graham Bond
Howlin' Wolf
Jackie Edwards
Jerry Garcia
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Miller
Keith Moon
Muddy Waters
Reebop Kwaku Baah
Richard Manuel
Rick Grech
Rory Gallagher
Sandy Denny
Steve Marriott
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Viv Stanshall

??? Did I leave anyone out???

MomeyKate

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "Mary Katsikas"
Date:          Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:47:59 EST
Subject:       Re:  bad news

I want to know why it is so hard to get news about SW other than the great
effort you are making to get it.  Is there no way through his agent or manager to
find out what he is doing and where to find all the videos he has made?  I
respect the fact that he is so humble about his work and that he shies away from
the limelight.  I guess that it is part of his appeal to me, but I do get frustrated
when I can't easily found out how to obtain something like the videos of his
concerts or where he is having a concert.

Take care,
Mary

[You people at Virgin who receive copies of SP - take note!! -BG]

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: MTL42@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 1996 12:13:14 -0400
Subject: All-Star Garage Band!

Watched VH-1 "Tuned in" segment on City of Hope Benefit - Guess who was
featured most prominently?  And from what I could see on CNN entertainment
news, the other members of the band weren't doing such a great job.  No
wonder SW was highlighted!  Nice to see him on TV or anywhere, for that
matter.  If you didn't catch it, they raised $ 4 million for City of Hope Medical
Center, and the clip showed a duet with SW and Sheryl Crow (When
something is wrong with my baby) and, of course, Gimme some lovin'.  Good
stuff!

Talk to you soon-
Mary

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:52:33 -0500
From: Egantm@SLUVCA.SLU.EDU (Terrance M. Egan)

"As for Blind Man, I have never heard any other versions of the song, nor am I
familiar with the songwriters, Malone and Scott."

This is a Bobby Bland song.  I think he is one of the authors also, using a
pseudonym for some reason (as he did on all of his songs).  There are many,
many covers of this song, mostly in the blues genre.

Terry

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG."
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 11:35:51 -0700
Subject: High Life video

I found the following when I searched Usenet for 'Steve Winwood' using
DejaNews:

Article 50 of 218

Subject:      Re: Eric Clapton video on MTV
Date:         1996/09/17

Don't forget Steve Winwood's 'Back In the High Life' video shot at the Southern
Railway station in Manassas, VA. I was running the U-boat  shoving a
gondola around in that one.

Yes, the brakeman WAS violating the NS rules in that one.
---

Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 23:07:17 +0100
From: Catya
Subject: Cult following

Did you know there is a rising cult following of Winwood's old band whose
name I cannot remember to save my life right now.  All I know is that
Winwood used to be part of that band.  Anyway - there was a revival night at
the club in London - playing all those songs by Winwood's old band.

--
Catya

[I prodded Catya's memory, and she says the 'old band' is Spencer Davis Group.
There's a pretty active SDG folder on AOL.  Anyone heard anything about this
lately?  --BG]