Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 22:00:06 +0900
From: Hisao_Chida (f2554993@ca.aif.or.jp)
Subject: SW's Live Video

I have always thought that it's a kind of shame that
no official commercial live or promo videos of SW's solo
works are available. I don't want any more Eric Clapton's
videos. Don't you think so?

 I'm sure he is one of the few artists who is worth having anthology kind of
videos - SDG, Traffic, BF, guest appearances, and solo.  He's a great
songwriter, singer, keyboard player, guitarist, producer, and live performer.
And he is good-looking enough! Three (or more?) Grammy
winner. He has 12 top 40 hit singles and 21 top 100 albums on Billboard
Magazine's charts including two number one hit singles/albums since 1966.

I have been a SW fan more than 10 years and have been disappointed by
innumerable releases of other ****ing artists' videos, crying out "Why not
Steve? What the hell is the record company doing?" Sorry, I might have gone a
bit too far, but I'm sure you agree with me.

See ya!

Hisao Chida

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 96 14:43:04 EST
From: "Adrian Vockeroth" (Adrian.Vockeroth@cc2smtp.NRCan.gc.ca)
Subject: The Hassles

In Smiling Phases Vol 40, Andrea Dyche writes about the Hassles LP
"Coloured Rain".  I don't have this record but I have two other LPs by the
Hassles.  It interesting to note that one of the members of the Hassles on my
LPs is W. Joel, better known today as Billy Joel.

Adrian Vockeroth

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 14:08:51 -0500
From: Your Pal Totoro (totoro@poboxes.com)
Subject: Re: Traffic newcomers

"_If you have a friend who's never heard Traffic but who would like to know
more, what album would you recommend they listen to or buy first?  Assume
they were stuck in a cave for the late '60s and early '70s and had heard no
music at all.  "

The only Traffic I have is the _Far From Home_ and what's on the Winwood
Box set.  However, this doesn't stop me from introducing friends.  Around three
weeks ago, some friends and I were playing music for each other.  I took out my
trusty Box set over to the one room.

One friend remarked how she just loved pianos in music.  I said, "Ah, this song
has the four best piano notes in music history," and played Heaven is In Your
Mind_ .  And then, I had to play _Low Spark_ and _John Barleycorn_.  Is just
got the set back from them three days ago.  It worked well.

Eric J. Brown

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 17:44:01 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Withering Tree instrumentation

There are a couple of strange sounds on the song Withering Tree. One is a
swooshing sound, perhaps cymbals, another is kind of a pleasant screeching
sound, almost like a violin, but I really cant say for sure what these sounds are.
What say you folks?

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 22:45:42 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)

I guess I'll start by giving a short explanation on how I got into Steve
before I do my recommendation.

My mother was, and still is, a huge SW fan.  (I went with her to see Traffic on
the "Far From Home" tour actually.  She also saw SW on the ROTH tour, I
didn't.)  She played his music all the time when I was growing up.   Well, at
first I just thought 'My mom likes this guy', you know, what did she know about
music? :-)  Well, as I grew older, I realized that this guy was actually very
good!!!

My dad, as a musician, has a  lot of respect for SW, but doesn't really
listen to a lot of his music.  He says that he saw SDG in Colorado, I think. He
says SW was with them, but I have yet to get the math to work out on this one,
but, it's possible.

I think the first SW album I bought was "Arc Of A Diver" and I loved it.  My
mom mentioned that she thought she had "Low Spark" somewhere, but I spent
months looking for it, and couldn't find it.  My parents were divorced by this
time, and we eventually realized that my dad might still have "Low Spark."  So,
I asked him about it and he was like, "No, I don't think so.  I hate that song
(Meaning "Low Spark") and it was your mother's album." So I kinda forgot
about it for awhile, until I went on vacation with my dad, sister, and step
mother.  We were sitting in this bar/club and there was a band playing and they
played "Dear Mr. Fantasy" along with some other songs as a melody.  I think
the other songs were "For What It's Worth" and "Feelin' Alright."

After the song ended, the singer was like "OK, what were the songs we played
and who were they by?"  So we, well, my dad and myself, sat there and yelled
the answers, since no one else in the crowd knew.  The singer got to Dear Mr.
Fantasy, and I'm sitting there thinking "That was Traffic right?"  I couldn't
remember, (remember, at this time, I was only really familiar with "Arc Of A
DDiver".) so I didn't answer.  The singer was like, "Well, who was one of the
people who did 'Feelin' Alright'?"  My dad said "Dave Mason."  "Well what
band was Dave Mason with for awhile?"  My dad stopped and I was like "He
was with Traffic, wasn't he?" So, my dad told the guy that.  He was like, "Yes!
Traffic did 'Dear Mr. Fantasy.  Who was Traffic's lead singer?" I knew that
one! "Steve Winwood!"

After we finished our Q & A session, my dad said, "You know I think I have
one of your mother's Traffic albums."  We got back home and I started digging
through all of my dad's records and I finally found it.  "Low Spark Of High
Heeled Boys." So I took it back to my mom's, put it on the record player and
listened to it.  I loved it and my mom was thrilled to have it back.   It was at
that point I became a fan.  (OK, so it wasn't a short explanation. :-))

Well, finally, for Traffic newcomers, I would have to recommend "Low Spark"
first.  I think that's the song that Traffic will forever be related with, well, it's
the first one people mention when I tell them I listen to SW.  "Oh, yeah, he did
that "Low Spark of the um, .."  what ever it was called."

The other response I get a lot of is "Who's Steve Winwood?" :-)

Well, I've been sitting here for almost an hour writing this, so I guess I
better go now. :-)

Andrea

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: CooterRay@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 23:03:57 -0400

Well, I was stuck in a womb during those periods. I would recommend "John
Barleycorn Must Die" as a first listen. I was my first experience with Traffic
and I guess it turned out fine. I was turned on by digging through my
roommates CD collection looking for something new, I guess I found it. From
playing that disc around my house I've turned several people on to Traffic.

This was all recently, it's proven to work.

Low Spark would be good too, but definitely NOT Mr. Fantasy as a first album.
It's pretty out there and  most folks I know don't like listening to it. Can you
imagine your friend liking a group whose first impression consists of "My bed
is made of candy floss, the house is made of cheese"???

BTW, my Mr. Fantasy is missing a few songs mentioned on the last digest.
Smiling Phases and some others are just not there. Has there been any trouble
with any Traffic CD releases???   Ignorant record business folk acting up again.
whatever

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 10:06:02 -0700
From: gina (gina@dsp.com)
Subject:  Need music video

I am trying to track down Steve Winwood's music video for "Don't You know
What the Night Can Do" off of "Roll With It" and I am not having much
success. ... If  you know of a  way for me to get my hands on this video, any
help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

gina

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 18:40:12 -0700 (MST)
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Earlier bands of Traffic mates

Today I wandered onto a Web site titled 'Delirium's Psychedelic Web Of Sound'
which is devoted to chronicling the psychedelic era of music. On this site I
learned quite a bit about the earlier bands of Traffic mates Wood, Capaldi and
Mason. Here is what I learned.

Jim Capaldi and Dave Mason were joined by Luther Grosvenor (guitarist, later
of Spooky Tooth) and Poli Palmer (keyboards, later of Family) in a group called
The Hellions. Dave Mason was their vocalist. The Hellions released the
following 45s:

    1. Daydreaming Of You/Shades Of Blue.  1964
    2. Tomorrow Never Comes/Dream Child.  1965
    3. A Little Lovin'/Think It Over. 1965
    4. Hallelujah/Shades Of Blue. 1966

#4 was recorded under the name Revolution with the same members as the
Hellions. Hallelujah was a gospel song, which can also be heard on Sequel's
Midlands Beat Groups Of The 60s (CD), but the flip was beatier.

Dream Child can  be heard on Visions Of The Past, Vol. 3 and Tomorrow
Never Comes also appears on the Sequel compilation Quick Before They Catch
Us.

The Hellions became Deep Feeling with the addition of Gordon Jackson on
vocals and guitars.  Gordon Jackson made solo recordings in the late sixties
which included Traffic members.

Before the Hellions, Dave Mason played in the Jaguars which released one
single, We'll Live On Happily/Now You Wonder Why which is on the recent
The Story Of Oak Records compilation.

Meanwhile Chris Wood was in a band called Locomotive. This band was
fronted by Norman Haines and also included Chris Mercer and Dick Heckstall-
Smith. I'm not absolutely positive that Chris recorded with this band but some
of their recordings seem to be available.

One of their singles, Mr. Armageddon has since re-surfaced on Not Just Beat
Music 1965-70 and on The British Psychedelic Trip, Vol. 2 (or Vol. 1 of the
corresponding CD series). Another single, Rudi's In Love,  is available on See
For Miles' 20 One Hit Wonders.

The recent Shoestring CD reissue of their album , We Are Everything You See,
comes with 12 bonus tracks, including all their non-album 45s.

I don't know how to locate the compilation recordings mentioned in this post, I
assume these are on small CD labels (Sequel, Shoestring, Oak Records) but if
anyone can locate these CDs, please let me know.

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 19:22:09 -0700
From: Walter Hillis Eskridge (peabody@flash.net)
Subject:  Song memories

"Dust" is one of my most special songs from Steve because it is a very
bittersweet reminder of my great lost love.  We dated in high school
which was very many years ago when Gimme Some Lovin' was hot.  We were
very much in "high school love".  Anyhow I've never forgotten her; she was
fabulous and Dust captures the essence of that strand of attachment that has
lasted a long time decomposed as it is, it has lost little of the power it had in the
sixties.  Without the association with this girlfriend, Dust is also a fine song,
but the more so because it is a way of tapping back into the finest love of my
idealized love life.

Pearly Queen and several other of those songs from that era remind of a girl I
dated shortly before I went into the army in 1969. We both knew I was going
into the service and we knew that we probably wouldn't stay together long even
if I had not gone into the army, so
relished the summer of '69 as we knew that it was the end of the line for us.
We sat in my car smoked grass, held each other, kissed, and listened to
righteous Traffic which also blew away as surely as did the summer of '69.  I
enjoy that music to this day but that girl will not be with me again and Vietnam
will not be calling again, so it is different now.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 22:36:31 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)
Subject: Posters, shirts, etc.

Awhile ago, addresses were posted for companies that sold T-shirts and posters,
I think.  I was wondering if anyone had ordered anything from any of these
companies and which were the best to buy from.  I'm looking mainly for
posters.

Thanks.
Andrea

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: MATTGREY@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 17:48:32 -0400
Subject:  Style and instrument considerations

Eric Clapton's mega-hit "Change the World" is a sad reminder to Winwood
fans that their icon too can be as popular now as he's ever been. The problem is
that Winwood insists on this antiquated keyboard sound that's five years out of
date. Why can't we hear Winwood doing a song like "Change the World." He's
got the guitar chops to match Clapton and SW vocals rise above Clapton's like
an air balloon over the Great Wall of China.

But instead of hearing Winwood sing cool songs on cool radio stations: i.e.
"Reach for the Light," we hear him render easy listening drivel on stations my
mom is too young to listen to.

In case nobody's noticed all anybody talks about is Steve Winwood's older stuff.
Well the guy's still with us, he can still pump out songs that matter  (With the
possible exception of "Far From Home" Winwood's been AWOL since BITHL
in '86). If only he'd stop trying so hard in the studio and just sit back, grab the
guitar, call Russ Kunkel (not Jim Capaldi) for some drum work, maybe bring in
someone young on bass, like Flea or the guy from STP and start rocking. Neil
Young and Eric Clapton are still at it. So is Tom Petty and John Mellencamp.
Winwood's talent eclipses them all. I'd like to see him show it.

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 1996 06:13:42 +0800
From: Black Stump (meg+andre@mns.net.au)
Subject:  Steve book

Here's a question: Steve reportedly said about an earlier attempt at a
biography (by some lady) that it was a great book if you liked fiction.
How does his joint effort with Chris Welsh (Keep on Running) measure up?

Be great if anyone would venture an opinion.

Cheers,

Andre