Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:38:02 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Re: SW Concert Video in Japan

Hisao

The inclusion of Feeling Alright in this concert is very notable in that
Winwood has rarely performed Dave Mason songs.

Alan Woontner

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:39:37 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Re: Traffic Related CDs

Mike

Could you tell me how to get in touch with Blackmail/Edsel. I am
very interested in Aiye Keta and Oh How We Danced

Thanks

Alan Woontner

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:45:22 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Fillmore East 1968

One of these days im going to get around to doing a review on the Fillmore
Easy 1968 Traffic show. A truly fine and remarkable concert with unique
arrangements of several songs including Pearly Queen as an instrumental,
40,000 Headman with organ (no guitar) and a unique winwood/Capaldi
harmony not heard on other recordings. Also included are several Mason tunes:
Feeling Alright, You Can All Join In, Don't Be Sad (I've never heard this one
live and it sounds good). Particularly notable is a fantastic Colored Rain, with
an extended flute and sax intro and a rockin' organ interlude and conclusion.
This is Traffic as I always wanted to hear them. A rock/jazz quartet with three
excellent soloists.

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:16:11 +0700
Subject: "Here Right Now"

Way last October, in Volume 14, Alan Woontner wrote that "Here Right  Now"
was an unrecorded SDG song.  Well, it was recorded and it appears on the
_Eight Gigs a Week_ CD.
---

From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 11:31:38 +0700
Subject: Who is dead now?

In time for Halloween, let's get a good list going of everyone SW's
worked with, who has passed on.  Right off the top of my head, I can
think of:

Traffic: Chris Wood, Rebop Kwaku Baah, Jimmy Miller

Blind Faith: Rick Grech

Other: Graham Bond, Viv Stanshall, Jimi Hendrix

Who've I missed?
---

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 1996 21:47:50 +0000
From: Robert Ballot (nomead@earthlink.net)
Subject: London town

I'm putting together a travel guide about London. One of the sections
involves musical references to specific parts of town. I would be in
your debt if your mailing list could contribute. Thanks, in advance.

Bob Ballot

[As Bob is not a regular reader of SP, would you please direct your replies
straight to him?  Thanks.  He has promised to send me the complete results
when he's done so that I can post them here.  -BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 19:00:18 +0200
From: jfernan1@pie.xtec.es (Javier Garcia)
Subject: A new subscriber

Hi! I'm an staunch Spanish follower of Steve Winwood's career since the 60's,
when I got to knew the SDG. Some years ago I purchased the only SDG CD
available at that time, entitled "The Best of ...", on which I found and listened
to some curious takes of "Stevie's Blues", "Somebody help me" and "Searchin'"
with a backing organ not heard neither on the 60's versions nor on "Eight gigs
a week" double CD. I've read somewhere that one or the two official recordings
of "Gimme some lovin'" by SDG included some future members of Traffic. Do
you
have any answers to these questions?.

In 1968, while in Eastbourne, Susex, I attended a Traffic gig, of which
I still keep the Eastbourne Gazette review from August 7th same year,
including a picture of the group relaxing after the concert. I have also
some beautiful B&W and colour pictures of SDG to trade in case anyone is
interested.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 11:59:25 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: American Mr. Fantasy cover

The first Traffic album I owned was the original American release of Mr.
Fantasy, with the aforementioned "Were a fade, you missed this" which indeed
was the ending seconds of Paper Sun. Since I have long since replaced this
album with the re-released CD of Mr. Fantasy I can no longer remember the
front cover. I remember the back cover having Steve, Jim and Chris (no Dave)
posing in a park, with their hands gesturing strangely, but I can't quite
remember if the front cover was just the Traffic symbol or something else.

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 1996 10:01:45 +0900
From: hamabe@nifs.ac.jp (Makoto HAMABE)
Subject: Re: LP versions?

Andrea wrote in vol.38

"I'm trying to find out whether or not Refugees Of The Heart and/or Far From
Home were released on LP.  And, if they were, where I could find them."

I have an LP of "Refugees of the Heart". It was released from Virgin America.
I can't find any difference between LP version and CD version about their
contents.

Concerning "Far from Home", I have not seen it as LP form yet.

Makoto HAMABE.

END OF SMILING PHASES, VOL 39