From: "Gabb, Anthony A" (Gabb.Anthony.A@bhp.com.au)
Subject: Capaldi as lyricist
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 09:38:46 +1000

Alan wrote:

.....I think Capaldi writes great love songs (Coloured
Rain, No Face, No Name or Number, Evening Blue) and should stay in
that territory rather than his macho endeavors (Hears on Fire, Some
Kinda Woman) which are patronizing.

For songs credited to Winwood/Capaldi, can anybody see an obvious
difference where SW is more involved in the lyrics than Capaldi -
Capaldi being the more love song type whereas Winwood goes for the more
deep and meaningful approach?

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: GOlson2710@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 04:27:15 -0400
Subject: Final word on the book

[Craig and I were exchanging information about the 'two' books, _Roll With It_
and _Keep On Running_.  I had insisted all along these are the same books, but
some Subscribers thought they might be different.  - BG]

Got the other book just in time for the trip.  You are right.  They are the
same book except for the cover and fact that the UK is hard bound while the
US version is soft bound.  The pages are identical.  The pictures are all the
same except one is in a different place.  The pictures look sharper on the
slick pages of the UK version.  The bookstore told me the publisher said I
got the last UK version they had.

Craig

[BTW, the trip he's referring to, is his trip to the UK.  He promises to visit the
cottage in the Berkshires where Traffic rehearsed and write us a full report on
his return.  - BG]

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 16:49:20 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)
Subject: Steve, Henley, Etheridge, Mellencamp?

Today, I heard something on the radio about a concert featuring Steve, Don
Henley, Melissa Etheridge and John Mellencamp.  I was button pushing and
missed most of it, all I heard was that list of names, that it was in
California sometime in October.  Does anybody know what this concert is for?
And, could this concert be a sign that Steve might be getting ready to tour
again?  (Or am I just getting my hopes up?)

Andrea
"You can say I want to be free/I can say someday I will be" James Taylor

From: Madbotyou@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 18:32:10 -0400
Subject: Fwd: more info please

Henley, Adams, Crow join charity `All-Star Garage Band'

Some serious talent has joined the 1996 City of Hope ``All-Star Garage Band''
including Don Henley, Bryan Adams, Sheryl Crow, Melissa Etheridge and
John Mellencamp. The music industry fund-raiser will this year honor VH1
chief John Sykes with the Spirit of Life Award on Oct. 16 at the Universal
Citywalk in Los Angeles. The all-star jam will also include Steve Winwood,
Bobby Keyes and Tony Rich, with other big names expected to join soon. The
annual event raises between $3 million and $4 million for the City of Hope, and
remains a key record business charity. The black-tie gala is also an important
industry schmooze-fest. Seats at the gala start at $500 with premium tables
going as high as $50,000. Proceeds help those afflicted with AIDS, cancer,
Alzheimer's and other diseases.

Ken

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 00:29:01 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)
Subject: Re: Steve, Henley, Etheridge, Mellencamp?

I'm sitting here racking my brain trying to think of everything the DJ said.
I think it had something to do with a City Of Hope concert, (shoot, I am
brain dead today) and they were calling the concert something along the lines
of The Ultimate Garage Band.  (I'd say.)   I'm wondering if this was just
announced today.  It probably was.

Andrea
"We all know that crap is king/Give us dirty laundry" Don Henley

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 21:49:44 +1100
From: peter nuttall (pnuttall@melbpc.org.au)
Subject: Giving To You

In my article on Last Exit, I talked about B-sides of early Traffic
singles. This seems to have created some confusion (re-BigStar), I was
referring to Giving To You as the B-side of Paper Sun and Coloured Rain
as the B-side of Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush. Getting back to
Giving To You, listening to my old mono copy of Mr. Fantasy, the
"talked" intro is also different to the stereo version, the mono goes "I
said it's like, er, stop makin' it man, it's like, er, it's er, er, you
know what I mean, er, jazz" instead of "is is is, you know where it's
at, I mean, you know, I mean, I mean you know where I'm at, but I mean
jazz". Trifling maybe, but certainly different.

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 12:08:24 EDT
From: "Stephen Smith" (uscgs4ud@ibmmail.com)
Subject: Sessions

Found another session!  Winwood plays organ on Phil Collins' version of
"Burn Down The Mission", which is on the _Two Rooms_ (1991) tribute album
to Elton John and Bernie Taupin.  A 1990 Winwood interview I've heard
implies that the track was actually recorded during Phil's _But Seriously_
sessions  in 1989, for which Winwood played on one track.

Another session I haven't seen in Smiling Phases is the Fania All Stars'
self-titled album from 1975.  I don't have this one or know anything more
about it.

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 1996 19:48:34 +0200
From: crazy p (hape@pi.net)
Subject: steve winwood /james taylor

i can't find the cd-single "back in the high life again".
who will give me the clue ??

{Hey, Crazy P - I have an EP of 'Back' but have never seen the CD single.
Anyone?  --  BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:54:14 -0500 (EST)
From: Adrian Vockeroth (Adrian.Vockeroth@cc2smtp.NRCan.gc.ca)
Subject: Steve's Bandmates

I thought that just for fun, I'd put together a list of musicians who have
played with SW in more than one band.  This is just off the top of my head
without the aid of any research materials, so I may have missed a few.  Can
anyone add to this list?

Eric Clapton:  Eric Clapton & the Powerhouse, Blind Faith
Ric Gretch:  Blind Faith, Traffic, Ginger Baker's Air Force
Chris Wood:  Traffic, Ginger Baker's Air Force
Ginger Baker:  Blind Faith, Ginger Baker's Air Force
Pete York:  Spencer Davis Group, Eric Clapton & the Powerhouse
Rosco Gee:  Traffic, Go

I guess if you want to get technical, all of SW's bandmates in the Spencer Davis
Group played with him an a second band.  I don't recall the exact name but it
was something like the Spencer Davis Rhythm and Blues Quartet (the original
name of the Spencer Davis Group).

On a related topic, my copy of Welcome to the Canteen is shown as being by
"Traffic, etc.".  For a while, I thought that the band had actually changed its
name.  Are all copies of Welcome to the Canteen marked as being by "Traffic,
etc." or do some of you have copies that just show the band as being "Traffic".
I've always wondered why my record says "Traffic, etc.".  Any ideas?

Adrian Vockeroth
Gatineau (Qu‚bec)

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@web.azstarnet.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:28:26 +0700
Subject: Subscribers on the 'Net

I just found out that one of our members had an article published in
the Netly News.  Way cool!  Here's the URL, so check it out:

http://pathfinder.com/@@KYp0kgcADAUs1@vt/Netly/daily/960722.html

And while I'm at it, here's an up-to-the-minute list of the
Subscribers' Home Pages:

Alan's  --  http://www.sirius.com/~woontner/
Andrea's -- http://home.aol.com/ItsToLate
Bobbie's  --  http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/
Brett's  --  http://www.epix.net/~brett/
Bussola's  --  http://www.silab.dsi.unimi.it/~pm524301
Bussola's MUD --   http://little.usr.dsi.unimi.it:4444/PLR/Bussola
Duke's  --  http://www.magecs.com/duke
Eric's  -- http://rossby.metr.uoknor.edu/~ebrown/index.html
Gordon's -- http://don.skidmore.edu/~gthompso/60brchro.htm
Nick's -- http://www.well.com/user/nick
Robert's -- http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~rhall/
Scott's  -- http://fas-www.harvard.edu/~stribble/

Any others?  C'mon, don't be shy!
---
Bobbie
Administrator of 'Smiling Phases', the Steve Winwood Digest
http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/

Life is too short for bad coffee or cheap wine.

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: RRopek@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 00:07:23 -0400
Subject: Traffic "sound", random comments

Thought I'd "welcome back" SP by skimming some of the Traffic related
flotsam from my brain...

Long ago there as a thread relating to groups or albums that remind one of
Traffic.  While I haven't gone out of my way to search theses things out - it
seems rather futile doesn't it ? - I've run across a couple of things that
could be worth checking out.  I recently got the CD "Push Push" by Herbie
Mann.  Mann is/was (?) a jazz flutist.  This album was originally releasd in
1971 and features Duane Allman on all tracks , which was the main reason I
bought it.  The album is all instrumental, as much rock based as jazz and
quite "Trafficy" - especially the title track, which could have been dropped
into the "Traffic" or "John Barleycorn Must Die" albums.  Being somewhat
biased, I'd say that Mann "is no Chris Wood", but the level of musicianship
on the album is very high and I've played it a bunch.  Can anyone else out
there comment ?

The other related item is 'Widespread Panic', a group that doesn't sound much
like Traffic but plays (or has played) a lot of Traffic (and Mason) covers in
concert.  Frankly they sound more like the Allman Brothers (oh, now I see the
other connection !), with much guitar jamming and growling vocals.  At one
time or another they have played credible versions of 'Low Spark...', 'Dear Mr.
Fantasy', 'Feelin' Alright', and "Shouldn't Have Took More Than You Gave'.  I
have heard live tapes of all of these,  and as I said, they don't sound a lot like
the Traffic versions, except for the dead-on Mason-like vocal on 'Shouldn't
Have Took...' but they are well played and may be to the liking of some.

Well off that subject, I ran across a great Rolling Stone magazine Traffic
article/interview by David Dalton from 5/3/69 that offers insightful comments
on a number of topics.  Of particular interest to me was a question regarding
the origin of 'Mr. Fantasy':

Winwood - "Actually how it started was that Jim did a drawing during the time
when we were thinking about cover ideas for the first lp.  And Jim drew a
picture of this guy who was Mr. Fantasy with hair like the Statue of Liberty,
he had on a long robe and he was playing a guitar with strings coming from
his fingers, and by the side of it Jim had written: "Dear Mr. Fantasy, sing
us a tune/Something to make us all happy/Do anything, take us out of this
gloom/Sing a song, play guitar make it snappy".  Just these four lines
scribbled out at the side, just a single poem for the front cover.  And then
Jim flaked out and Chris and I stayed up all night and then got the thing
together.  And we set a live mike on a stage in the studio.  We tried sitting
in the little boxes and cans, but it just didn't work for this number.  It
wasn't half so strong after we'd done it.  It was time that gave it a lot of
meaning."

Great quote huh ?  To me this shows that great rock 'n roll isn't something
planned, but rather something that evolves when creative people are open to
novel ideas, sounds and situations that are then put in a usable format.  The
Beatles were masters of this, of course, but Traffic had the spark too.  This
might partly explain why Winwood has had such a hard time sustaining quality
in his solo projects; how do you "surprise" yourself ? Ensembles like Traffic
require putting up with egos and various eccentricities, but what a payoff !

  Dan R.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 13:27:11 -0500
From: Scott Anderson (scandcar@dpc.net)
Subject: Winwood Promo Spotted...

Hello!

I don't know if anyone would be interested in this or not...but...
the other day while hitting some cd shops I saw a US promo cd single...
that I already have...for the song "Hearts On Fire".

Hearts On Fire (PRCD2637)

1. Hearts On Fire (7 inch remix)  4:07
2. Hearts On Fire (12 inch version) 5:25

It has no artwork at all....they wanted ten dollars for it.
If anyone wants it I can go get it for you and mail it
for the cost of the cd and postage....

Thanks, Scott.
scandcar@dpc.net

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 08:51:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Adrian Vockeroth (Adrian.Vockeroth@cc2smtp.NRCan.gc.ca)
Subject: Ric Gretch

In issue 33, Dave Davis asks if we have heard "Music in a Doll's House" by
Family (the band that Ric left to join Blind Faith).  I have had the album since
it first came out and its still one of my all time favourites.  I'm surprised
that Dave didn't mention that its produced by none other than Dave Mason.

I have all of Family's albums and I must admit that once Ric Gretch left the
band, I enjoyed each subsequent release less than it predecessor.  Family
Entertainment is also a fine l.p.

Adrian Vockeroth
Gatineau (Qu‚bec)