From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@web.azstarnet.com)
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 12:16:12 +0700
Subject: A subscriber's new CD

Hey, Woodheads,

One of our Subscribers is a musician who has toured with SW, and has a new
CD coming out this fall.  He sent me an advance cassette copy of it, and wow,
is it great!  I listened to it constantly on my 4K mile drive to and from Illinois.

My copy is titled 'Tentatively Untitled' so I don't know what the final title will
be; but the musician-subscriber is Bobby Messano, and his band is "Bobby
Messano and N.B.O."  (New Blues Orchestra).  I hope he will keep us updated
here on when it comes out, so everyone can get it.

Hey, Bobby, how 'bout an update from you!
---

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:57:13 EDT
From: "Stephen Smith" (uscgs4ud@ibmmail.com)
Subject: Traffic Songbook

I "re-discovered" an old songbook for _Shootout At The Fantasy Factory_ and
_The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys_ that I bought in a used bookstore in
1983 or so.  I probably paid all of 50 cents or less for it!  It includes all of the
songs from these two albums except "Rock And Roll Stew", plus 3 songs from
_Reebop_  and 7 songs I don't know.  The songs are:

Big Thirst (Capaldi / Mason)
Don't Be A Hero (Capaldi)
Eve (Capaldi)
Hidden Treasure (Winwood / Capaldi) - from Low Spark
Evening Blue (Winwood / Capaldi) - from Shootout
How Much Can A Man Really Take (Capaldi)
Light Up Or Leave Me Alone (Capaldi) - from Low Spark
Last Day Of Dawn (Capaldi)
Love Is All You Can Try (Capaldi)
The Low Spark Of High-Heeled Boys (Winwood / Capaldi) - from Low Spark
Many A Mile To Freedom (Winwood / *Anna* Capaldi) - from Low Spark
Open Your Heart (Capaldi)
Meda Mena (Reebop) - from Reebop
Rainmaker (Winwood / Capaldi) - from Low Spark
Roll Right Stones (Winwood / Capaldi) - from Shootout
Shootout At The Fantasy Factory (Winwood / Capaldi) -  from Shootout
Silly Boy (Reebop) - from Reebop
Softly Weeping (Reebop) - from Reebop
Tragic Magic (Wood) - from Shootout
Sometimes I Feel So Uninspired (Winwood / Capaldi) - from Shootout

Notice that "Many A Mile To Freedom" is credited to Anna Capaldi rather than
Jim - perhaps his wife?

Anyone know where the other 7 songs are from?  Capaldi albums?  The Frog
album?

Date: Thu, 01 Aug 96 10:18:43 -0500
From: Peter Shor (shor@ix.netcom.com)

Big Thirst (Capaldi / Mason)
Don't Be A Hero (Capaldi)
Eve (Capaldi)
How Much Can A Man Really Take (Capaldi)
Last Day Of Dawn (Capaldi)
Love Is All You Can Try (Capaldi)

These are from "Oh How We Danced" -- Capaldi's first solo release, some of
the songs included all of the members of Traffic at the time.

Many A Mile To Freedom (Winwood / *Anna* Capaldi) - from Low Spark

I remember the text on the vinyl label had A. Capaldi as juxtaposed with all the
other J. Capaldi listings.

Peter

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:08:05 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com

The 7 tunes from a songbook that Steve mentioned in his post are from "Oh
How We Danced", Jim Capaldi's first album and quite an excellent one. Traffic
(Winwood and Wood) plays on most of the cuts on the albums with Dave
Mason adding a great guitar solo on Big Thurst.

By the way, did anyone out there see Dave Mason on his recent tour?

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 17:32:32 EDT
From: rkhurana@ccs.carleton.ca (Rob Khurana)
Subject: First question

Any idea when Steve will be releasing his next solo album?

Rob

[Rob - We have no hard evidence or confirmation yet, but we've heard 2
rumors, one that it'll be released in October, the other that it'll be released in
January.  The January date seems more likely at this point.  -BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:02:41 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)
Subject: Love Will Keep Us Alive

I was just wondering what everybody thought about Jim Capaldi's part in
writing the Eagles "Love Will Keep Us Alive."  Is this some of Jim's better
work, somewhere in between, or some of his worst?

Just curious.

Andrea

From: "Robert W. Hall" (rhall@eecs.umich.edu)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 15:31:55 -0400 (EDT)

It's okay sort of somewhere in between, IMHO.
 I prefer Jim's work on his solo albums ('Some Came Running' and 'Prince of
Darkness') and his Traffic work..

Rob

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:22:53 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com

I like this song. I think Capaldi writes great love songs (Coloured Rain, No
Face, No Name or Number, Evening Blue) and should stay in that territory
rather than his macho endeavors (Hears on Fire, Some Kinda Woman) which
are patronizing.

Alan

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 96 9:19 GMT
From: "allan@duart@sim.mrcs.gecm.com"

IMHO It is one of his best.   I am an Eagles fan as well as Winwood so this was
a great combination for me this song.   I would like to
hear what Steve could do with the Eagles, it could well be an immense
collaboration.

Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 15:09:52 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)

"IMHO It is one of his best.   I am an Eagles fan as well as Winwood so this
was a great combination for me this song.   I would like to
hear what Steve could do with the Eagles, it could well be an immense
collaboration."

I have to agree on that one.  I'd love to see what could happen in a Steve/Eagles
collaboration.

Andrea

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Sujoy=Bhattacharya%Accounts%HCLA@Narada.hcla.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 96 15:04:01 PDT
Subject: Off Topic(non winwood contents)

hi everybody,,
i will be joining the university of Michigan's business school in august. i was
hoping to find other list members in the university for perhaps beer and
winwood talk. i apologize for using this list, but its a rare list with whose
members i could perhaps relate to.

thanksalot
sujoy

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 18:53:37 +1000
From: jayanthiv@hunterlink.net.au (Jayanthi Viswanathan)
Subject: Steve's music in other stuff

 Robert Hall writes:
"I'm interested in compiling a list of all the soundtracks Steve's music has
appeared on.  The ones that I am aware of include 'Gimme Some Lovin' on the
Days of Thunder and Striptease soundtracks; 'Back in the Highlife' on 'Big
Business', and of course the Michelob commercial."

And of course the pilot for "21 Jumpstreet" heavily featured tracks off the
"Back in the High Life" set.  I'm really not too sure just why this was so, as the
music really didn't fit what was going on!  For example, there's this
scene where "Back in the High Life Again" is playing in a nightclub (!) (or
maybe it's just non-diegetic music)and it's just before a beer bottle gets thrown
at a van and then a drug deal takes place.  OK, now having gleaned an insight
into Mr Winwood's character from the "Keep on Running" biography, what are
the chances that he would have given his approval for this?? And if
that wasn't dumb enough, there's a bit of dialogue between Johnny Depp's
character and someone else, while "The Finer Things" is playing in the
background.

SOMEONE ELSE:  Do you like this music?
JOHNNY DEPP: Not really!
SOMEONE ELSE: Hallelujah!

Or something like that!  BTW, does anyone know if Steve was responsible for
the funky incidental music?  I missed the pilot for this show ten years ago or so.
When it was finally repeated a couple of years ago (at about 2a.m),
I set the timer on the video, went to sleep... and woke up the next morning to
discover we'd had a blackout half way through the show!!  Now, if that ain't a
classic case of bad timing...!

Cheers, Jayanthi.

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 10:54:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scott Tribble (stribble@husc.harvard.edu)

There's a Web site that details all the songs used during episodes of Miami
Vice. Apparently, they used 'There's a River' a lot, as well as
'Talking Back to the Night," 'Valerie," "Higher Love," and "Split Decision" I
think.

Don't forget the Blues Brothers also.

Scott

From: "Gabb, Anthony A" (Gabb.Anthony.A@bhp.com.au)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:50:03 +1000

One piece of SW music on a soundtrack was "Keep on Running" which opened
the Phil Collins movie "Buster".

BTW being from Australia I am 99.9% sure that Mr S Winwood, hammond
organ legend is not driving a Falcon rally car here.  Besides no one in their
right mind would drive a Falcon anyway.  Then again maybe I should check to
be 100% sure.........

Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 14:02:38 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)

Gimmie Some Lovin' was also used in The Big Chill, but wasn't on the
soundtrack.  I believe GSL was also on Operation Dumbo Drop and an airplane
movie of some sorts (Was it Iron Eagle?)

Andrea

From: UthrillMe@aol.com
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 23:44:32 -0400

It's not a soundtrack, but there is a CD available called "The Howlin' Wolf
London Sessions" which features the legendary blues artist Howlin' Wolf with
an all -star British blues band: Eric Clapton/guitar ,   Bill Wyman/bass ,
Charlie Watts/drums and Steve Winwood/keyboards. It's on Chess records
re-issued on MCA.  Enjoy!!!!

[Steve's music was also used during the '92 Summer and '94 Winter Olympics,
but I didn't hear any during the '96 Summer Olympics; and as I'm a total
Olympi-holic and saw most of it, I would've heard it!  --BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 15:09:56 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)
Subject: Re: Biographies

Is "Keep On Running" still in print?  I've been looking for it for awhile now
and can't find it.

Andrea

From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@web.azstarnet.com)
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 07:56:26 +0700

I think _Keep On Running_ was published in the US under the title _Roll With
It_.  Has a different publisher, too.  Is the author Chris
Welch?  If so, that's the same book.
---
Bobbie

Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 17:10:49 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com

I think we are talking about two different books: Roll With it and Keep On
Running. Keep On Running is not in print. But I'd like to hear a review from
someone who has read it. The official biography, Roll With It, is quite boring
and rather uninsightful

Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 00:43:13 -0500
From: Andrea Dyche (justus@oz.sunflower.org)

Ok, thanks for the info.  I'll have to see if I can find either one of them at the
library.  (From the sounds of it, I should probably look for Keep On Running)

Andrea

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 12:05:41 -0700 (MST)
From: Jeff  Giese (giese@web.azstarnet.com)
Subject: Dave Mason

More on the subject, is Dave Mason still touring?

peace and love
jg