From: Sujoy=Bhattacharya%Accounts%HCLA@Narada.hcla.com
Date: Tue, 28 May 96 10:52:29 PDT
Subject: Re: muff winwood

hi,
i am curious about the direction of muff winwood's career. i know that he went
into production and has produced some big names. where can i find a
discography? if anyone out there has some info can u share it with me please?

rave on
sujoy

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2

Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 20:06:47 -0700
From: nick@well.com (Nick Langston)
Subject: POST Re:Guitar solos vs keyboard solos

You know, Arnie, I agree with you- for the most part.  When I saw Traffic for
the first time in 1994 I was impressed most of all by Steve's guitar playing.

But when you listen to piano runs like the ones in 'Low Spark' or those
distorted keyboard (what is that thing anyway, an overdriven organ?) solos in
'Low Spark', you can tell he's thinking about where he's going.

Other times...I dunno...the guitar playing does seem more 'direct'.

Nick

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3

Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 12:10:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: Scott Tribble (stribble@husc.HARVARD.EDU)
Subject: POST: High Life Updates

Hi everybody-

I just wanted to inform you of the change in location for High Life. The
old URL was http://fas-www.harvard.edu/~stribble/winwood.html. The new
URL is http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~stribble/sw/index.html. Please update
your links and bookmarks.

I'm always looking for input on High Life, so I'd appreciate it if you
all could e-mail me with some ideas after you look at the page.
Highlights? Lowlights? Something missing?

I'd really like to add certain things, if there are eager subscribers
that would like to take up the projects. I really need:

1) A biography of Steve
2) scanned pics of SDG, BF, and Winwood/Kebaka/Amao (album cover if
possible)
3) lyrics for SDG songs, particularly those on the Greatest Hits and
Finer Things
4) lyrics for the album, Steve Winwood

Pics can be sent as attachments to my e-mail address; text files can just be sent
as part of e-mails, and I'll cut them out of there for you.

Thanks again.

Scott

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4

Date: Thu, 30 May 96 13:48:46 EST
From: "Adrian Vockeroth" (Adrian.Vockeroth@cc2smtp.NRCan.gc.ca)
Subject: Chris Wood and Fat Mattress

In Smiling Phases #31, Alan asked for any other Chris Wood sightings.  Mr.
Wood played on the first Fat Mattress l.p.

I was in England in the summer of '69 when the l.p. Fat Mattress came out.  At
that time the British music press were hyping two new offshoot groups that
were new to the scene.  The first was Fat Mattress, formed by ex Jimi Hendrix
Experience member Noel Redding.  The second was Led Zeppelin, formed by
ex-Yardbird Jimmy Page.  Both bands were treated with equal respect and got
equal press coverage.  Fat Mattress survived through two lps that sold very
poorly and of course Zep did much better.

I remember being very disappointed by the first Fat Mattress album as I
inevitably compared it to Led Zeppelin's first which blew me away.  However, I
recently listened to the first Fat Mattress lp after not hearing it for over 20 years
and it ain't that bad.

Adrian Vockeroth

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5

Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 20:47:46 +0100
From: sandstrom@ume.foa.se (Bear)
Subject: Wynder K. Frog & Traffic

Wynder K. Frog was (and maybe still is) a male organist and vocalist. When
Traffic broke up the first time and Steve played with Blind Faith, the remaining
three tried to form a group with Frog. Frog recorded on the Island label and I
think his first album was called "Out Of The Frying Pan".

Hope that may add something to what you already know!

Bjorn

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6

Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 15:55:16 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Traffic/Rarities Wish List

Well since Christmas is only 7 months away I thought Id give Santa Claus a
head start. Does anyone know how I could get my ears close to the following:

1. Penultimate Zone (flip side of Time Is Running Out)
2. Giving To You (vocal version)
3. Zing (Traffic song that is copyrighted, but no know recording)
4. Hard To Find A Friend (rehearsed for Low Spark album, commented on in
Rolling Stone article, perhaps never recorded)
5. Live Traffic Recordings from 1967-1969
6. Traffic Live Version of "Cant Find My Way Home"

Alan

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7

From: BigStar303@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 02:53:28 -0400
Subject: Re: Giving to You

In Smiling Phases #31 Alan wrote:

"Is the version of Giving To You in single format include lyrics, or is
it just a different jam? Also is Rock N Roll Stew part 2 a different
jam than on the album?"

The 45 version of Giving To You is a completely different recording than the
one that appears on the "Mr. Fantasy" LP. There is about half of a verse with
lyrics at the beginning of the song, then it goes into the instrumental part as on
the LP. There is none of the jive talk (i.e., "But, I mean jazz...") that opens and
closes the LP version. Some of the flute, guitar and organ motifs are similar,
but it's definitely a different take altogether, rather than just a different mix.

"Rock and Roll Stew part 2" is a continuation of the jam that fades out on the
LP version (in other words, it's the complete take as opposed to fading it out
early). It goes on for another three or four minutes. I once did a tape splice at
the common point between the two versions to give myself a complete one.

Mike

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8

Date: Tue, 04 Jun 1996 06:18:29 -0500
From: Richard Batey (richardb@amaranth.com)
Subject: Blind Faith at Isle of Wight?????

Did Traffic or Cream or some hybrid play at the Isle of
Wight Festival in 1969? If so, what songs did they play?

If you don't know, can you point me to any source for such information?

Thanks,

Richard

From: Scott Tribble (stribble@husc.harvard.edu)
Subject: POST: Isle of Wight 1969
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 23:57:31 -0400

I was wondering if any of you knew whether or not Traffic played the
Isle of Wight on August 31, 1969 with the Band and Dylan. Also, does
anybody have a listing of artists that played that day? Thanks for any
info.

Scott

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 10:58:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: pharaoh@digital.net (Dave Davis)
Subject: catalog number

I was wondering if you happened to have the catalog number for
the new double disc SDG set that was released on Island in the UK?  It would
be much appreciated.  Thanx.

dave davis

From:     Self (Single-user mode)
To: pharaoh@digital.net (Dave Davis)
Subject: Re: catalog number
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 12:25:53 +0700

Hey, Dave,

That's funny that you would ask, cos I was just listening to it this
morning - great house-cleaning music!

On the spine of the jewel-case, it says in bold print CRNCD 5.  Then
in smaller characters underneath it says 524 180-2. On the back of
the case, it also has the numbers PY 898 and LC 0407.   It's on the
Island label, of course.

From: Scott Tribble (stribble@husc.harvard.edu)
Subject: SDG official page
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 23:00:47 -0400

I checked out Yahoo's section on Classic Rock (Music/Genre...) and there  is an
official SDG page! I'm going to e-mail the webmaster right now and see if
collaboration and contributions from Spencer are possible. Exciting!

http://www.webcom.com/gsmmedia/spencer/

Scott

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11

From: Scott Tribble (stribble@husc.harvard.edu)