Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:05:12 -0500
From: Your Pal Totoro (ebrown@uoknor.edu)
Subject: Blues Brothers

I was watching the Blues Brothers again this weekend and just remembered the
scene where they start performing in a Country Bar.  The song they start to sing
is "Gimme Some Lovin" and they are promptly boo'd severely.  I thought it was
a great cover, myself.

Eric J. Brown

[Eric  -  I read an interview of SW once, where he was talking about people's
lack of knowledge of the history of rock'n'roll, and he said people actually came
to him after concerts and asked why he was covering that Blues Brothers song!
Poor Stevie.  --  BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: JohnC21341@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 21:29:54 -0400
Subject: Saturday Review On-line on AOL

i don't know if you're interested but i stumbled across a message area in
saturday review on-line for kinks (i'm also a huge fan of theirs).  just for kicks i
tried to create a winwood/traffic folder and to my surprise was able to create
one.  (who knows how long it will stay here.)

here's how to get to saturday review message area
1) go to keyword 'saturday review'
2) click on message boards
3) click on 'movies, pop music and more'
4) click on 'browse folders'
5) voila...winwood/traffic is still there, at least as of tonight

this message area is a lot quieter than the aol board.  which perhaps means its
more possible to keep it from getting deleted.  in fact most of the 49 topics have
fewer than 10 posts (it seems the kinks lead the pack :-)

take care,
john

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: 16 Apr 96 13:15:50 EDT
From: Robert.S.Marcolini@Hitchcock.ORG
Subject: Sports

For all the sports fans out there...ESPN's Chris Berman (he of the nick-name
fame) frequently refers to SW/Traffic songs when calling out his
highlights...my favorite is for the knuckle ball pitcher on the Milwaukee
Brewers:  Steve "Low" Sparks "of High-heeled Boys!

Regards,
Bob

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 00:19:15 +1100
From: peter nuttall (pnuttall@melbpc.org.au)
Subject: Old Traffic

I thought I knew quite a bit about SW but reading through your earlier mailings
has been really informative (and I'm only up to No. 20). Having spent the last
twenty years in the "wilderness" as far as info over SW is concerned (traveling
around in Asia one tends to lose touch quite quickly, and not having read much
in the way of music press doesn't help) most of what I know comes from the
period 1965 - 1975. However, I still buy his albums (it's the first thing I look
for when I enter a music store) and have all official releases of Traffic and
Steve's solo works.

The thing that depresses me most is the lack of live performances from Steve, I
lived in Holland for almost twenty years up until I moved to Australia Oct. '95
and was never aware of any concert dates there during that period. There were
performances in the U.K. and, I'm sure, in other parts of Europe as well as the
U.S and other countries. I was fortunate to see Traffic a number of times, twice
in Oct. '67 at the City Hall, Newcastle, (those were the days of "package" tours,
the first time co-headlining with the Small Faces, the second time was a "Who-
Tremolos-Traffic" package supported by the Herd and Marmalade). That was,
of course, the original group (which featured Mason on sitar), they were
separate tours so the sets were different.The next concert was at York
University, Jan. '71, after the release of JBMD and Rick Grech had just joined
the band, FANTASTIC, probably the best performance I've seen from them,
Steve's guitar was amazing. I remember having made the trip down from
Newcastle with a few friends who were just there to "be there" and they were
totally blown out be Steve's playing (and were converted on the spot).
Following that was the tour with the Muscle Shoals session men, which I
caught up with in Manchester, March '73 (one of only three U.K. venues on
that tour), a concert marred by the drugged out state of Chris Wood, who only
managed to play two notes the whole evening and spent much of his time
arguing with someone in the audience, however, this was compensated by Steve
playing all the lead on Tragic Magic (the tune apt to Chris's plight) which was
brilliant, the highlight of the concert.A year later they were back at the City
Hall, Newcastle, this time as a five piece band with Steve, Jim, Chris, Reebop
and Rosko, this was a much tighter unit than the rambling's of the previous
one. The highlight of the concert being When The Eagle Flies with Steve on
piano, accompanied by Rosko. That same year they appeared at the Reading
Festival, Aug. '74, this time minus Reebop, who'd left the band a few days
earlier. This was a strange venue, lots of beer louts who just wanted to make
lots of noise and would have been more at home at a Slade concert.
Disappointing in the sense that you couldn't hear the band, nevertheless a
superb version of Low Spark with E. piano, flute, bass and drums. Sadly, that
was the last time I saw Traffic (they split after that) and the last time I saw
Steve play.

You may find this the rambling's of an old "hippie" but somehow I feel I have
to show that I "belong", having read most of the news letters I realize how
much I've missed over the last twenty years.

Back in 1965 (when I was 13) I started a scrap book with SW snippets, every
bit of news I could get my hands on went into that book, I kept it up until after
BF broke up, what a wealth of information that contained. That, along with
music books, singles and associated records of my SW collection, was among
lots of things that disappeared during my years of traveling around, leaving my
stuff with friends and relatives, it's strange how things "go astray".

I could probably go on for pages and pages (you did say you liked getting mail
!!) but I'll keep it down to a few BTW's.

As yet I haven't seen any mention of the book "Back In The High Life" a
biography of Steve Winwood by Alan Clayson, released in the U.K. by
Sidgwick & Jackson Ltd., ISBN 0-283-99640-4. A must for all Winwood fans.

I bought Mr. Fantasy the day it was released in the U.K., autumn 1967, (this is
in mono) and years later purchased a stereo version. This stereo version has a
different guitar solo at the end of Heaven Is In Your Mind, which I think is
played by Dave Mason, while I think the (original) mono is by Steve. Any
thoughts on that?  (All my Traffic vinyls are into their second purchase and I
now have some on CD)  An alternative take of Feelin' Alright, lighter and
folkier with flute instead of sax, was issued on a Best of Dave Mason, circa beg.
'73.

I don't consider Far From Home a Traffic album, just another Winwood work.

My 5 favourite Traffic songs,
(Sometimes I feel so ) Uninspired
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
No Time To Live
40,000 Headmen
Dear Mr. Fantasy

(Another day I'd probably pick a different 5!!)

I think I'll leave it there, keep some things for another time.

Peter

[Peter  -- Thanks for clearing up the mystery of the UK biography!  I'll check it
out right away.  --BG]

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: BigStar303@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 01:23:29 -0400
Subject: Traffic non-LP singles

Steve wrote:

"I'm hoping to clarify some items I've seen in previous volumes
and in other places.  Can you help?
- Traffic:  "Paper Sun" / "Giving To You" (alternate version,
different from the album), "Rock and Roll Stew" Part 1 / Part 2
(jam not on album).  Do you have detail on label, catalogue
number, country, etc., for these singles?"

I'm looking at my "Paper Sun"/"Giving to You" single as I write this. It is a
promotional copy on the U.S. United Artists label. Of course, "Paper Sun" is
indicated as the "Plug Side."

Catalogue number is UA 50195. "Paper Sun" master number is ZTSP 123998;
"Giving To You" master number is 123999 (length is given as 4:10).

Regretfully, my single of "Rock 'n' Roll Stew" (parts 1 and 2) is eluding me at
the moment, but I will try to turn it up and report the information on that. I do
know that it too was a U.S. release, on the Island label.

Best wishes,
Mike

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: ItsToLate@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 19:49:01 -0400
Subject: Re: More Addresses

I ordered a T-shirt from a company called Entertainment to Go in January and
it still hasn't arrived.  As of right now, they don't have any Winwood shirts, but
if they ever get any, don't order from them.  Just a warning.

andrea

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 11:30:19 +1100
From: peter nuttall (pnuttall@melbpc.org.au)
Subject: Correction Reading Festival

The Reading Festival I mentioned was of course in August 1974!

Steve was one of a number of musicians who played guitar on the first stage
performance of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, not long after the release of the
album, can't remember the exact date or venue (though it was in London).

Steve is not credited as playing on Alone Together.

BTW any Winwood fans in Australia who can help me get hold of some of the
bootlegs please get in touch.

Peter

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 09:37:13 +0000
Subject: SW's Birthday

SW's birthday is coming up May 12.  I would like all the Subscribers to e-mail
me their birthday wishes for Steve, which I will compile, print, and send
surface mail to his management's office.  I have a pretty cool printer and could
do a nice job with the cover of it, but if anyone has any pictures or graphics
they think are appropriate, please send them on!

I will also put the whole thing up on the Mailing List part of the
Home Page when it's done so you can all see the results.

I REALLY want responses on this!  I sent him a birthday card last year and
wrote something so lame (Lorin, that means 'dorky') that I'm still blushing, but
I've survived.  So I don't CARE how stupid it sounds to you, just do it!

---

Date: Thu, 18 Apr 1996 14:40:41 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Re: 8 Gigs a Week

I haven't gotten 8 Gigs A Week yet. I just bought the Beatles Anthology
Volume 2, its really interesting to see the genesis from which their songs
evolved. Many of them were basic folk songs performed on acoustic guitar or a
piano. I wish that something like that could be done with Traffic. I wonder
what the original demos of Paper Sun, Shanghai Noodle Factory or Hidden
Treasure sounded like?

Also, Dave Mason was mentioned in the latest addition of the New Yorker. His
unofficial home page is: http://members.aol.com/smacdoug

Take Care

Alan

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: RRopek@aol.com
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 21:44:23 -0400
Subject: Re: Out of the Gridlock

Just in case nobody has already solved the riddle of the "mystery tracks" here,
i.e. "I Am the Walrus", "Moriah", etc., I have some information that may be of
some help.  The lesson here is to not to trust that Bootleggers know what the
heck they are talking about.

First; the date and the city are wrong.  The concert is from the '73 tour
(3/31/73) not 1974, and Bologna Italy rather than Rome.  These are somewhat
understandable mistakes compared to the inclusion of the above tracks (and
four others), which are not Traffic at all, but the opening act - Spooky Tooth.
Buyer beware!

  Dan

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 10:51:36 EDT
From: "Stephen Smith" (uscgs4ud@ibmmail.com)
Subject: Re: Sessions and Hendrix/Traffic

The material below on the Hendrix sessions is directly from the book.

Sessions:  To answer one of my own questions from the last volume, it turns out
that Winwood played with Mike Lawler on Dave Mason's _Two Hearts_
(1987).

Hendrix / Traffic:  I came across John McDermott's exhaustively researched
book, _Jimi Hendrix:  Sessions_ (1995), which describes two recording sessions
involving Winwood.  These entries seem to resolve the mystery surrounding the
bootlegs.

5/2/68 (actually 5/3/68):  Hendrix, Mitchell, Winwood and Jack Casady
(Jefferson Airplane) recorded 3 takes of "Voodoo Chile", of which the third
take was used on _Electric Ladyland_.  A composite of the 3 takes was released
as "Voodoo Chile Blues" on _Jimi Hendrix:  Blues_ (1994).

6/15/70:  Winwood and Chris Wood added the backing vocals to  "Ezy Ryder"
(_Cry of Love_), and later jammed extensively with Hendrix and Dave Palmer
(Ted Nugent's Amboy Dukes).  The text mentions a jam loosely based on
"Pearly Queen", "Valleys of Neptune", an extended and unstructured jam with
Hendrix and Wood, "Slow Blues" with a vocalist, and other jams.

Buddy Miles is quoted as saying that they considered asking Winwood to join
what would become the Band of Gypsies!  The book also describes a
contentious session with Dave Mason in January 1968.

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 08:54:50 +0700
Subject: Subscriber URLs

This is what I've got so far:

Alan's  --  http://www.sirius.com/~woontner/
Bobbie's  --  http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/
Brett's  --  http://www.epix.net/~brett/
Bussola's  --   http://www.dsi.unimi.it/Users/Students/000008
Bussola's character --   http://little.usr.dsi.unimi.it/PLR/Bussola
Eric's  --   http://rossby.metr.uoknor.edu/~ebrown/index.html
Nick's --  http://www.well.com/user/nick
Scott's  --  http://fas-www.harvard.edu/~stribble/

C'mon, I know more of you have home pages, send me the URLs!
---