Date: Thu, 04 Apr 1996 20:45:08 -0600
From: Your Pal Totoro (ebrown@uoknor.edu)
Subject: Re: What SW song describes your life?

Andrea asked, in Volume 27,
"If you had to choose one SW song to describe your life, right now, what would
it be?"

        This is a question I just had to answer, simply because I love to tie music
to my life.  I even have what I call "The Eric Brown Anthem" which is "King
of Pain" by the Police.  However, that isn't quite a Winwood song.

        So, therefore, I started out to try to find one that would fit me, I realized
that I was looking at songs that I'd WANT my life to be like.  At first I thought
"Roll With It", but I don't.  Then I thought, "Gimme Some Lovin'" but that
didn't hit the bill either.

        After much consideration, I think it would have to be "No Face, No Name,
No Number."  The reason I think this is because when I first got my copy of it, I
absolutely loved the song, but then I started understanding it more, and I
stopped listening to it.  I began to ignore what was said, I just let it slide on by.

        That's what the song is about, that is what I'm like.

Eric J. Brown

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2

From: HarveyP708@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 22:04:54 -0500
Subject: Re: More Addresses

In Volume 27, Maria wrote:  "More Addresses"

Thanks to the person who posted the addresses for shirts, etc. etc. I haven't
dealt with the other places, but I have dealt with Wynnco - their service is
prompt and polite and they deal well with people but if you compare their
catalog prices for the same item to other places with similar items they are 'way
overpriced.  I don't have a place that I buy tee shirts from, but I will post some
addresses for other things in the next day or two.

judy

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3

Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 20:03:44 -0500 (EST)
From: terry kroetsch f (tkroetsc@mach1.wlu.ca)
Subject: Song Books

Hi -another post from the resident Blind Faith fanatic (I can't really explain it -
hey, did anyone hear Kelsey Grammer mention Blind Faith at the People's
Choice Awards or some such event?)

I just unpacked, after 13 years, my song book box and found the Blind Faith
book (called Album No.1, for 50p bought 1975 in UK) - entire album, good
arrangements, amazing photos, lyrics, 24pp. Also found, Stevie Winwood and
Friends - The Words, music and Guitar chords to his songs. (Collier Books, NY
1970) - great photos and songs from Spencer Davis, Air Force, Blind Faith
(Sea of Joy - completely different key and arrangement) and Traffic.

If anyone has questions about these, just e-mail me.

Cheers,

Proud Owner

[Scott and I got even with Terry for bragging about his find - he has to
photocopy some of the pages and send them to me for incorporation into the
Home Page.  That'll teach 'im!  --  BG]

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4

From: JohnC21341@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 21:19:08 -0400
Subject: Re: Whatever happened to Dave Mason

I noticed that Dave Mason is playing at Tramps in New York City on April 18.

john

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5

From: Scott Tribble (stribble@husc.harvard.edu)
Subject: FWD: Nifty site
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 17:08:35 -0400

Bobbie -
Could you include this in SP? This is an incredible site!

----------
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:21:10 +1100
From: John McPharlin (johnmc@sb.com.au)
Subject:  Ginger Baker's Airforce

"I've never heard the second Airforce album and have no idea what the group's
lineup was for that album.  Can anyone provide me with details of the album."

Despite having a fold out cover, there is no information about the band (or
anything else) either inside or outside. On the label itself, we have the
following credits:
Side 1  1. We Free Kings (Baker)
        2. Caribbean Soup (McNair)
        3. Sunshine of Your Love (Bruce/Brown/Clapton)
        4. You Wouldn't Believe It (Baker/Laine)
Side 2  1. You Look Like You Could Use a Rest (Grech)
        2. Sweet Wine (Baker/Godfrey)
        3. I Don't Want To Go On Without You (Burns/Wexler)
        4. Let Me Ride (Staples)
Production is credited to "Ginger Baker, Rick Grech, Denny Laine & Graham
Bond"

According to "New Rock Record" by Terry Hounsome, a little old now but still
my favourite reference for the sixties and seventies and generally pretty reliable
(although someone on the Jefferson Airplane/Starship mailing list picked up a
goof just last week...),the band was:
   drums: Ginger Baker
   guitar: Denny Laine
   percussion: Rocky Dzidzornu, Neemdi Acquaye
   bass: Rick Grech, Colin Gibson, Catherine James
   sax: Harold McNair, Graham Bond
   horns: Steve Gregory
   keyboards: Ken Craddock
   vocals: Diane Stewart, Aliki Ashman
Oddly, there is no credit for flute although "We Free Kings" starts with one.

"Is it live or studio?  Is it any good?"

If you liked the first one, it's more of the same without the tiresome solos.  "We
Free Kings" refers back to "What A Bringdown" and is Baker at his quirkiest -
who else would work the value of pi into a song ('3.14159, ride all day the
circle line')?

Regards,

John McPharlin

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7

Date: Thu, 11 Apr 1996 13:15:15 +0500 (GMT)
From: Juan Diego Agudelo (jagudelo@icesi.edu.co)
Subject: First South American Subscriber

I'm a Traffic's music lover and i just saw that message posted on
internet. I want to receive current information about Winwood's music and
projects and I'm also interested on traffic's lyrics (all of 'em).  I'm writing this
from Cali, Colombia (you know.. south America) and you can guess that
Traffic's albums are a collectible item for rock albums collectors, I'm one of
'em, but the thing is that THEY'RE TOO HARD TO FIND here even on CD (In
Colombia people rather hears tropical music or grunge music, you know recent
and commercial music) so I'd like some
information on how can i order them.

I'd also like to know about and old project Winwood had with Ginger Baker
(that GB air force) and if there is a recording of that.

If you'd like some information about Spanish rock bands or artists just let me
know.

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8

Date: Sat, 13 Apr 1996 16:23:28 +1100
From: peter nuttall (pnuttall@melbpc.org.au)
Subject: Newbie at the Reading Festival

I have just discovered the " Winwood " page on the Internet and would like to
subscribe to " Smiling Phases ". Having been a great fan of Steve since the
early Spencer Davis days I am thrilled to find that there is so much information
available. Having not seen Steve perform for more than twenty years (since the
Reading Festival, August 1975, which was one of the last, if not the final,
performance of that version of Traffic) it would be great to keep up with any
news.

Peter

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 08:51:44 -0700
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: Re: Bootlegs

I bought Goldmine yesterday and am checking into the "Out of the Gridlock"
CD that was listed there. From the description on the High Life page it seems
like an interesting and unusual set list - with them covering tunes like I Am
The Walrus, Moriah, etc.  Do you think its Jim Capaldi singing I am the
Walrus?

Alan

[It seems to me that it is Jim Capaldi singing it, but really, the quality of the
recording is not such that I can be sure.  Anyone got another idea?  --  BG]

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10

From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@web.azstarnet.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 18:14:49 +0000
Subject: Subscriber's URLs

If you have a Home Page, would you please send me the URL?  I'd like to keep
a list, which I will post in Smiling Phases periodically.  The only ones I know
of right off hand are Scott's, Alan's, Brett's, and mine.
---
Bobbie

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:32:29 EDT
From: "Steve Smith" (uscgs4ud@ibmmail.com)
Subject: Many questions

I'm hoping to clarify some items I've seen in previous volumes and in other
places.  Can you help?

From Smiling Phases:
- Traffic:  "Paper Sun" / "Giving To You" (alternate version,               different
from the album), "Rock and Roll Stew" Part 1 / Part 2 (jam not on album).  Do
you have detail on label, catalogue number, country, etc., for these singles?

- Someone implied that Winwood played on a Randy Newman album.  Do you
know which one?

- Davy Spillane:  (A Place Among the Stones) (1994) - Is this available in the
US?

SW Home Page:
- Dave Mason's (Alone Together) is listed under sessions.  My MCA CD liner
gives only a track listing.  Can anyone confirm that Winwood did (or didn't)
participate and what he did?

Timothy White:  (Rock Lives):
- In an interview published in this book, Winwood indicated that he had played
sessions with several people, although it's not clear what may have been
released.  Anyone know about these?
Mike Lawler (probably 1980s or 1970s)
Jo-El Sonnier (   "   )
Mike Oldfield (   "   )
Jimmy Page (1960s)

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:36:01 EDT
From: "Steve Smith" (uscgs4ud@ibmmail.com)
Subject: New SDG Compilation

After waiting for two weeks (seemed like months!), I finally received the new
SDG compilation (Eight Gigs A Week:  The Steve Winwood Years) (UK Island
524180-2).  Thanks to the dearth of SDG material on any previous CD releases,
I was thrilled to grace my sound system with this 2-CD dream       collection,
and stepped outside of time until the second disc ended.  The material includes
almost all of the official releases as well as previously unreleased live versions
of "Kansas City" and "Oh!  Pretty Woman".  The liner notes are extensive and
provide an excellent overview of the period  releases and some related projects,
with copious photos of album covers, but lack the full detail of a discography.
The sound quality is excellent,       although the entire collection is in mono.

So what's not to like?  Well, there are a few minor things.  First, as someone
noted in a previous volume, the set apparently won't be released in the US.
Many casual CD buyers and fans will miss a revelatory experience concerning
their perception of Steve Winwood.  The remedy for now is to order it as an
import.  The price is very reasonable for a set of this nature.  Second, some
tracks are missing, as described below.  Third, the title seems inappropriate
since it's a play on a famous Beatles song.  Was this intended to boost sales by
targeting to overzealous yet inattentive Beatles fans?  Fortunately, the title may
be safely ignored once purchased.

Three tracks are missing from this collection.
(1) "Det War In Schoneberg" (from a 1966 German single):  The liner notes
discuss this song but claim that it's outside the scope of the collection. The
reasoning is unclear at best, and makes one wonder about the real reason.  This
should have been included.
(2) "Gimme Some Lovin'" (US version):  The compilers used the original UK
version rather than the richer and far more famous US version, marking its first
appearance on CD to mknowledge.  Nearly every compilation (on LP or  CD)
has the US version, so the only loss here is one of completeness.  The liner
notes discuss both versions.
(3) "Somebody Help Me" (organ lead version):  The compilers used the more
familiar guitar lead version.  The organ lead version is currently availableon
EMI's (Best of SDG) CD in the US.  The liner notes don't discuss this variation.

These are the only alternate versions of which I'm aware, so please let me know
if you've found others!

Hearing all of this music together and in order for the first time placed  the
SDG's legacy in a new light.  Through the silly material and the soulful blues
alike, a common  thread was evident in the vocal and instrumental prowess of
Steve Winwood.  Despite later progression into more sophisticated
music and advanced studio technologies, these early recordings still resonate
with modern sensibilities.  Their power lies in their simplicity and spontaneity
in a world of complexity and demands, from the moodiness of  "Nobody Loves
You When You're Down and Out" to the cathartic release of  "Gimme Some
Lovin'".  This excellent collection is long overdue and I strongly recommend it.