Subject: Re: The traffic symbol
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 96 22:50:08 -0500
From: Peter Shor (shor@ix.netcom.com)

I read in an interview many years ago that this is an ancient Druid symbol.
They had a fascination with Druids since the cottage was near Stonehenge.
They also wrote about another ancient civilization -- the Roll Rights -- and
various stone monuments in "Roll Right Stones."

Peter

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2

Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 22:40:57 +0100
From: sandstrom@ume.foa.se (Bear)
Subject: Air Force II

Air Force II was a disappointing live album, even more disappointing than the
first Air Force album. If I remember correct the second was just a single album.

Bjorn

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 96 12:41:29 EST
From: "Adrian Vockeroth" (Adrian.Vockeroth@cc2smtp.emr.ca)
Subject: U2 Bootleg

As discussion of bootlegs seems to be allowed on this list, I thought I'd let  you
all know about a U2 Bootleg that I saw advertised on the Magiccom web page.
It's called "Duets" and like the Frank Sinatra recordings, each song features U2
singing with someone else or with a group of other artists.  One of the songs is
Dylan's "Its All Over Now Baby Blue" performed by U2 accompanied by Bob
Dylan,  Van Morrison, Chrissie Hynde, Elvis Costello, Kris Kristopherson and
Steve Winwood.  I haven't heard it and unless Steve sings a verse on his own,
he would probably be drowned out by all the other voices.  Have any of you
heard  this CD and does Steve's participation make it a worthwhile purchase for
a  Winwood fan that isn't crazy about U2?

Adrian Vockeroth

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4

Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:40:00 -0800
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Subject: More addresses

In the last volume of the Digest a couple people inquired about
t-shirts, tapes, etc.  Well, I looked in some magazines and came up with some
more addresses.  Don't know what any of them carry because I've never checked
them out.  Here's the list:

1.  Burning Airlines     (t-shirts)
    Dept, S15
    P.O. Box 3757
    Trenton, NJ 08629
    phone # (609)587-7887
    fax   # (609)584-1666
    send $1.00 for catalog

2.  Music Mailorder     (cd's records, books, videos)
    Box 21723
    Milwaukee, WI 53221-0723
    send $2.00 for catalog

3.  Off the Record    (rare, imported cd's)
    322 S. Main (SpB)
    Royal Oak, MI 48067
    phone #  (810)398-4436
    send $1.00 for catalog

4.  L. B. Video   (rare/live/imported audio & video tapes)
    Box 1864 - Sp-10
    Royal Oak, MI 48068
    send SASE for catalog

5.  Wynnco Enterprises, Inc.
    (music & entertainment memorabilia including cd's etc.)
    P.O. Box 39
    Pickens, SC 29671
    (864)878-8504

6.  For Rock T-Shirts....$5.00 each...quality pre-worn oldies from          70's
through today...for catalog send 2 stamps to
    P.O. Box 1315
    Homewood, IL 60430-1315
    (708)798-6284

If anyone uses any of these addresses, will you please write to the Digest and let
us know about the experience?  Was the service prompt?  Did they bill you
correctly?  Was the merchandise good quality?

---

Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 18:59:20
From: bobbieg@azstarnet.com
Subject:  Steve's solo album release date

I think I have some bad news...I found the e-mail address of Virgin  Records
Representative at the University of PA.  So I e-mailed him to ask when Steve's
solo album is due to be released and when he would be expected to tour.  He
just responded tonight.  Said he asked around and was told SW new album isn't
slated to be released until October.  And so he's guessing SW won't go on tour
until the summer of '97!!

From: ItsToLate@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 03:07:09 -0500
Subject: What SW song describes your life?

Ok, here's one for you.

If you had to choose one SW song to describe your life, right now, what would
it be?

For me, it would probably be 'Take It As It Comes' because I'm finally realizing
that I'm gonna have to do that more often in life.

Any others?

Andrea

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7

From: ItsToLate@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 03:07:30 -0500
Subject: Re: What ever happened to Dave Mason

In Volume 26, Burks2000@aol.com wrote:

"Well, it was announced today that Dave Mason will play the
Caravan of Dreams Club in downtown Ft. Worth Texas on
March 28,1996. So, y'all come on down. It's an intimate little
joint that seats about 800 folks. Should be fun!!"

Today it was announced that Dave Mason would play
at the Grand Emporium in KC  April 2, 1996, I think.
I'm not sure of the date.  I think that's right but I could be
wrong.  I don't think I'm gonna be able to get down to there to
see him.  What kinda stuff does DM play now?

Andrea

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8

From: ItsToLate@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 1996 10:53:30 -0500
Subject: Steve, Billy Joel and Phil Collins

In Volume 22, Adrian Vockeroth wrote:
"Although I'm not crazy about everything Phil Collins does, I like
some of his material and its not all "pop fluff".  According to
Matt, Eric Clapton's music is on the same "timeless" pedestal as
that of Steve's.  Yet EC had Phil Collins produce one of his
albums and the whole album had a Phil Collins sound to it."

I'm not a Phil Collins fan and would never dream of comparing him to Steve,
first off.  I don't think that all of his material is "pop fluff" though.

And later he wrote:
"As for Billy Joel, I strongly disagree with characterizing his music is "pop
fluff".  Don't get me wrong.  I'm a big SW fan, having bought his Spencer
Davis Group albums when they first came out and just about everything SW
has done since.  However, I nonetheless consider Billy Joel to be a very
versatile artist doing excellent versions of many forms of music from rock to
soft ballads to doo-wop.  He is a consummate performer and I doubt that
anyone would leave a Billy Joel concert disappointed.  Sure he does lots of
commercial pop but what's wrong with that?  So did the Beatles and I certainly
hope that Matt would consider their music as timeless."

All right, this is where you got me.  I'm a huge Billy Joel fan (so sue me).  I
have seen BJ once and was not disappointed.  I was ready to see him again.  I
read an interview with BJ and he said that his problem with singles is that
they're taken out of context from the rest of the album and most people judge BJ
by his singles.  In my opinion, if BJ does commercial pop to "make a living
down here and keep the children fed," that's fine with me.  Everyone's gotta
make a living somehow.  Some people just have more money than the rest of
us, but I'm not going to get into that now.

And then Adrian said:
"Anyway, although I have trouble making a direct comparison
between the music of Steve Winwood and Billy Joel, I do not
think that any such comparison renders Steve Winwood a grave
disservice.  What do the rest of you think about this?"

I can't compare BJ and SW.  To me they are two totally different musicians.

BTW, I don't know about Phil Collins, but I'm pretty sure that BJ's last album,
River of Dreams, did really well.

Take care,
andrea

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9

Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 10:00:47 -0800
From: woontner@sirius.com
Subject: 8 Gigs A Week available on the Net

I just ordered 8 Gigs A Week from an on-line service called CD Europe. You
can get to their Mosaic site through a Web page called "Shopping For Music".
The address for Shopping For Music is

http://www.tiac.net/users/mpaolini/shopping.html

I'm REALLY looking forward to hearing this disk!!!

Take Care

Alan

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10

From: ItsToLate@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 1996 21:38:06 -0500
Subject: SDG concert

Well, I just found out that SDG was in Kansas City Sunday and I missed it.
Who's in SDG now?

Andrea

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11

From: "BobbieG." (bobbieg@azstarnet.com)
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 17:56:36 +0000

I finally got my part of the Smiling Phases Web page uploaded today.  Look for
it at

http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/maillist.htm

If you want to re-read an old volume and you know its number, you can go
straight to http://www.azstarnet.com/~bobbieg/volume**.htm, where
the asterisks are the volume number.  Otherwise, just use the
pointers in the main page and in each volume.

And be sure to let me know if you find any errors or links that don't work.

---