From:             "BobbieG."
Date sent:        Fri, 17 Nov 1995 03:26:28
Subject:          Post - Reach for the Light

No one in Volume 15 had anything to say about the new single, but I
have some thoughts about it that I wanted to share.

SW's popularity has taken a pretty sharp downturn since 'Roll With
It'.  The favorite criticism, even among the Subscribers, is that even then he
didn't have the enthusiasm or genius that he had in the early '70s with Traffic
(although there are those among us who will strongly disagree with that!)  This
latest single is NOT going to re-establish his popularity, and will probably add
to the shouts of 'sell-out' that we hear occasionally.  (Can I get any of you a
Michelob while I'm in the kitchen?)

My point is that the man is not stupid, unlearned in the ways of the
music business, or unmindful of what his record label expects of
him.  He has to *know* that this single is not going to earn him any
street cred.

But he did it anyway.

Isn't this the opposite of selling-out?

Face it, he's a 47-year-old husband and father of four small kids; his interests
did not petrify in the '70's.  He will make the kind of music that seems right to
him now; and those people who criticize him, essentially, for not making
bigger and better Low Spark's, seem pretty arrogant and petrified to me.

Or am I rationalizing heavily?
---

From:             "BobbieG."
Date sent:        Fri, 17 Nov 1995 05:56:25
Subject:          Post: Similarities Engine URL

The Similarities Engine is great fun, and ties in to our old thread
'which new bands sound most like Traffic?'  You enter your favorite
albums, and it comes back with other music that you will probably
also like, current and classic.   There's a new Instant version, too.
 Anyway, here's the address:

http://www.webcom.com/se/

I entered SW's 'Refugees of the Heart' into the Instant version, and it said I
would also like Pat Metheny's 'Letter From Home',  Traffic's 'Low Spark',  Lyle
Lovett's 'Joshua Judges Ruth',  and Neil Young's 'Harvest'.  I own and love
*all* of these!

Anyway, try it.  ("Bite me, it's fun."  "Push the button, Frank.")
---

From:             HarveyP708@aol.com
Date sent:       Tue, 21 Nov 1995 20:50:11
Subject:          Re: Blind Faith

>Who is the girl on the cover of the Blind Faith album?  I've heard
>rumours that she was related to Eric Clapton.
>
>What is that silver airplane-looking object she's holding?

According to Marc Roberty the album cover was designed by an old friend of
Eric Clapton's, Bob Ciderman. I remember reading somewhere (though I forget
where) that the girl pictured on the cover was Ciderman's 11 year old daughter.
The silver airplane looking object she is holding is in fact a silver model
airplane and it is supposed to ssymbolize both sexuality and modern or
futuristic approach to music and life. That cover, btw, was effectively banned in
the United States as a significant portion of American dealers refused to stock
the album  with that picture on the cover, so an alternate cover had to be found.
Dealers who did stock the album were often prosecuted for child pornography
by eager prosecutors looking for an issue (including our own Steve Neeley,
Bobbie).

Dominos. It actually has 12 tracks of which only the first four are Blind Faith,
but the sound quality is quite good for a recording of that age. The four BF
tracks are Well Alright/Sea of Joy/Sleeping in the Ground/Under My Thumb.
They were recorded at the Hyde Park concert on June 7, 1969.  The rest of the
disc are Derek & Domino performances from different venues in 1970.

judy

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4

From:             THEMIX945@aol.com
Date sent:       Wed, 22 Nov 1995 18:21:29
Subject:          SW on Nightline

Steve Winwood and Peter Gabriel, as well as a few others will be on Nightline
tonight, 11:35pm (Wednesday) on a panel discussion about the Beatles.  Hope
you see this in time!

Chris

(Chris - I didn't  ;'-(  but thanks anyway!  -BG)

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5

Date sent:        Thu, 23 Nov 1995 18:01:31
From:             Björn Sandström
Subject:          POST: The Cover of "Blind Faith"

>Who is the girl on the cover of the Blind Faith album?  I've heard
>rumours that she was related to Eric Clapton.

I'll tell you that her name is probably Louise Goshen, alternatively Mareora
Goshen. At the time she lived in Mayfair, London. The American photographer
Bob Seidemann had fled San Francisco and moved to London. He saw this
girl's older sister stepping on an Underground train, became interested in her
and asked if she was willing do some modeling for him. She agreed so he
contacted her parents and by the time they had agreed the girl backed out of it,
so her younger sister, 11 at the time, got the job.

>What is that silver airplane-looking object she's holding?

It's a futuristic airplane (Can't you see that?) made by an Irish jeweler at the
Royal College of Art. Seidemann called this picture Blind Faith and Clapton
named the name-less band after that.

Anything else you wanna know?

Bjorn

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6

Date sent:        Fri, 24 Nov 1995 01:11:25
From:             "V. Iya"
Subject:          POST- Winwood on "Nightline" 11/22/95

  Steve Winwood was one of many musicians featured on last night's
episode of ABC's "Nightline" program. The topic was (what did you expect?)
the Beatles. They had about a dozen or so musicians--ranging from Steve to
Brian Wilson to Itzhak Pearlman--talking about their impressions of the band.
(They weren't all in the same room; each person was by themselves at some
location).
  Steve mentioned, among other things, that he really dug the harmonica on
"Love Me Do".  He also said something that I would disagree with somewhat
strongly--that Paul was the main musician of the band. I happen to think it was
John, but that's a whole other discussion entirely. Anyway I was real glad to see
him on TV!

Vik

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7

Date sent:        Fri, 24 Nov 1995 10:14:27
From:             Björn  Sandström
Subject:          POST: Re: Blind Faith tour and CD

Paul wrote:
>"Stepping Stones" Part 1 and Part 2 has the June 1969
>Gothenburg, Germany concert. This is after the Hyde Park debut but
>before the first US. concert at Madison Square Garden.

Gothenburg is Goteborg in Swedish (actually the first o in Goteborg should
have two dots above it just like the o in my name) and you find the city, which
has about half a million inhabitants, on the Swedish west-coast. In fact, I think
that Blind Faith only played in four countries: U.K., Sweden, the U.S. and
Canada, during their short career. Furthermore, I thought that Blind Faith
American debut was at the Newport Festival, July 11, 1969, the day before they
played MSG. If anyone's interested I can post the details of the whole tour.

Paul also wrote:
>   In answer to the question about two tracks on an import version of
>the one and only "Blind Faith" album, don't bother if that's what you
>are buying it for. The two tracks are reportedly demos by Rick Grech,
>probably before he joined the band. The playing does not sound like
>messieurs Winwood, Clapton and Baker.

Paul's halfway right on this:

The tracks were recorded at the Morgan Studios in October 1969 (after the
Blind Faith American tour) for a Rick Grech solo project. Besides Grech,
Clapton, Denny Laine, George Harrison and Trevor Burton took part.
Therefore, it's a bit surprising to find, just like Joop Kielema pointed out, that
the CD credits Clapton-Winwood-Grech-Baker for the song writing on both
Exchange And Mart & Spending All My Days.

Bjorn

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8

From:             Davef6@aol.com
Date sent:       Sat, 25 Nov 1995 14:08:28
Subject:          the cover of Blind faith

Hey there, just wanted to let ya know the girl on the cover of Blind faith was
supposedly Clapton's daughter.

Dave

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9

Date sent:        Sun, 26 Nov 1995 13:16:00
From:             pjrosano@ix.netcom.com (Paul Rosano)
Subject:          POST Re: More Blind Faith info

Hi everyone,
        I have a number of items:

Cecilia wrote:

> [snip] "Exchange..." is the same as the untitled
>instrumental single that was released as a promo by Island in June
>1969.
>
>It is not perfectly clear from the article if the enhanced version of
>the "Blind Faith" CD was issued in the States or in the UK, but from
>the context one is lead to believe that it should be in the States.  [snip]

Paul here:
The instrumental "Exchange And Mart" is not the promo single released before
the album. That was "Change Of Address" and it is far superior. I've only seen
it on a Westwood One radio concert disc, which features Clapton rarities. The
jam that develops into "Change Of Address" can be found on the double CD
"The Morgan Rehearsals." Also, I've never seen the Blind Faith album with the
two additional tracks as a U.S. product. Mine is a German import with an RSO
label but credited to Polydor in Germany.

Re: Who are we?

I would say describing Winwood as a musician's musician is quite apt. His
music has been a big source of enjoyment and inspiration to me, both when I
was playing professionally and now when I still play but mostly for my family's
and my enjoyment. Winwood has changed over the years but not nearly as
much as one might suspect from what is written about him. I don't see the jump
from "Mr. Fantasy" to "Roll With It" a huge stylistic change, and he definitely
has never sold out as some would have us believe. Most of the great Traffic
tracks enjoyed only moderate success on their initial release but they have all
stood the test of time and I ask "Is there a body of work more influential in
rock?"   I believe musicians respect him so much because he not only sounds
like Ray Charles and is a multi-instrumentalist capable of making an album by
himself (only Todd Rundgren comes to mind there), he is a wonderful
songwriter/arranger/producer, with few peers in rock as a keyboardist and a
stunning yet overlooked guitarist. Put all those things together and that is what
most musicians would die for. He does it all. I've been a fan of his since
"Gimme Some Lovin'" and have seen him a number of times through the years
and always have been impressed. Steve Winwood never lets you down.

For the record: I was schooled at Berklee College of Music; my principal
instrument is bass; I also sing: I dabble on guitar and keyboards. I played from
about 1966-1982 in a number of groups and duos enjoying moderate success
with several releases. Other musical interests: Hendrix, Cream, Todd
Rundgren, Van Morrison, Georgie Fame, Alan Price, Ginger Baker and Jack
Bruce solo efforts, Clapton, John Mayall and many, many others.

One more item:

I had a recent exchange with Bjorn about Blind Faith's first appearance in the
U.S.; he suggested I post it, so here it is:

Bjorn asked:

I thought that Blind Faith American debut was at the Newport Festival, July 11,
1969, the day before they played MSG.

I wrote:

       Blind Faith was scheduled to debut in the U.S. in Newport, not at the
festival but a special concert. In fact, we bought tickets to the show and were
quite excited to have third-row seats at Fort Adams State Park, where the Jazz
Festival was held for years. However, about a week before the show, it was
canceled. The promoters backed out because of problems they had with prior
rock acts there. Actually problems with fans destroying property. So, Madison
Square Garden became the debut. What a place to open the tour. The band was
doomed from the start with these type of management decisions. Luckily for us,
another show was added in Bridgeport, Connecticut, not far from where we
were at the time.
        In fact, I have a little story. The promoter of the show, Ben Segal,
was the father of a drummer I was working with, Beau. We got into the show
free and stood backstage or what would pass for backstage at the outdoor
football field, a roped-off area near a portable stage. We went out front during
their set because the sound was obviously better there. There were no seats on
the infield. They sounded very good and played much the same set as the
European concerts. Though I was disappointed that Winwood played
keyboards, not guitar, on "Had To Cry Today."
      It was interesting to note that when Clapton arrived he stood to the
side of the stage, grooving on Delaney & Bonnie. It was just the second
concert! Also, Dave Mason was the guitarist for D&B, rather a coincidence.
      One last thing, Janis Joplin showed up, actually looking quite well. I wound
up standing in a group of people with her. She was quite funny and was
continually asking where Clapton was. Heady times.

All the best,
Paul

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10

Date sent:        Mon, 27 Nov 1995 07:32:38
From:             terry kroetsch f
Subject:          POST: Blind Faith Boots

I received my copy of Blind Faith for Christmas, 1969. I didn't  ask for it, never
heard of them, I have no idea why my uncle gave it to  me. I was transfixed -
loved it and still do. I have listened to it for  over 25 years and I still get excited
by it. The idea of live Blind  Faith is thrilling and therefore I bought 2 bootlegs:
an old US vinyl  (San Francisco?) and Can't Find My Way Home CD. I would
be glad to copy these as a trade with anyone. Contact me privately.

Questions: Is the boxed set the only way to get the electric Can't Find My Way
Home? Is there other BF material? Is there BF stuff on any Clapton collections?
BTW, if anyone wants info or recommendations for Ric Grech, let me know.
Music in a Dolls House is a brilliant, classic pop album by Family.

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11

Date sent:        Mon, 27 Nov 1995 15:40:58
From:             Björn Sandström
Subject:          correction

{snip}  Apparently I wasn't 100% correct this time as I hope Paul Rosano has
pointed out in a separate POST. If he hasn't let me know and I will send you his
story. Apparently the Newport gig was canceled, so MSG became the first on
the tour. In fact, he and I are getting along just fine after I first hit him in the
head, as hard as that can be on the Internet, for not knowing that Gothenburg,
or Goteborg as it's called here, is a Swedish city.

Bye, Bjorn

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12

Date sent:        Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:33:05
From:             pjrosano@ix.netcom.com (Paul Rosano)
Subject:          Re: POST correction

One other item I forgot to include in first post:

Bjorn pointed out to me I had incorrectly placed Gothenburg in Germany. My
apologies. Gothenburg, the site of the "Stepping Stones" concert CDs, is in
Sweden.

Paul

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13

Date sent:        Fri, 1 Dec 1995 09:37:42
From:             stribble@husc.harvard.edu (Scott Tribble)
Subject:          POST: Shootout Lyrics

I know this is a daunting task, but has anyone successfully figured out the lyrics
to Shootout? If so, could you post them please? Thanks.

Scott Tribble

14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14

From:             "BobbieG."
Date sent:       Fri, 1 Dec 1995 15:55:43
Subject:          POST  Balto URL

MCA finally put up a Page for the movie "Balto" ('Reach for the Light' is its
theme).  The URL is
http://www.mca.com/universal_pictures/balto/movie.html
---

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 18:37:06
From: MATTGREY@aol.com
Subject: Reach for the Light

"Reach for the Light" sucks (I'm surprised it's not a commercial for GE) As
much as I hate to admit it, the new Steve Winwood song "Reach for the Light"
is really embarassing. Why would such a supremely talented musician put out
something that even VH-1 might turn down for being   too VH-1.  It's boring,
sappy and uninspired, although his voice is as good as ever.    The other day I
put  my favorite Steve Winwood CD "Back in the High Life"-  here he did
everything right putting out songs that exemplified the best of the eighties-great
grooves, melody and inspirational lyrics.  And it was popular too!  Ever since
then with the exception of the fantastic traffic album of last year, he's
disappointed me.  Why can't he put out at least one guitar based single instead
of relying on keyboards all the time.  He perfected the keyboard sound why
can't he just move on.
                I think Steve Winwood has had a great solo career    and even
on his less inspired efforts he still comes up with great songs hidden away-like
"In the Light of Day"  and "Don't   you know what the Night Can Do".  But
when he keeps  on putting out songs like these, he pushes more of his fans
away and we start talking about  traffic,  blind faith and Spencer
Davis.