DIGEST 1, VOLUME 4, sent Aug 14, 1995

The Compiler wishes to apologize to the authors of the first two entries, as they
should have been included in the previous Volume of the Digest, but
unfortunately were temporarily lost in the mists of her mind.

Topics in this issue:
  1. Re:  session work
  2. Shootout poll
  3. Top 5, Traffic-y Bands, More...
  4. Bob Christgau on 70's Traffic albums
  5. Dave Mason update
  6. Traffic sound
  7. What about Steve performing live?
  8. GO on The Finer Things
  9. Five favorite solo songs
10. sd.gif
11. Re: The Traffic sound
12. Hendrix/Traffic Jams
13. sd.gif again
14. Re: sd.gif again
15. Re: SDG CD picture
16. ENTERTAINMENT: WWW Music Database has moved
17. Re: Bad News for Those with a Lot of CDS
18. Musical childhood
19. Life in the cottage
20. Other bands' invitations
21. Steve Pics

Subj:	Re:  session work
Date:	95-08-07 04:25:44 EDT
From:	J=Kielema%BW%KUN@VINES.UCI.KUN.NL

Although your list looks impressive and has even one of Steve's latest work
(Paul Weller) and some work I never knew (I didn't know that he had done so
much reggae), I'm quite sure that there is more. At this moment I can think of
one. Steve sings a duet with Etta James on one of her latest releases  (probably
from 1993). Unfortunately I don't know the title from the CD.
Regards
       Joop Kielema

COMPILER'S REPLY:  The song 'Give It Up' from Etta James' 1992 CD "The
Right Time" is one of my favorites, and how I could leave it out of the list is
beyond me!  Mists of the mind, again, I guess.  Also, has anyone yet mentioned
the contribution to the 1993 'Tribute to Curtis Mayfield' CD?  Steve sang a
mellow version of 'It's All Right!', using Jim and the same staff as the Far From
Home CD.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2

Subj:	POST: Shootout poll
Date:	95-08-07 09:49:07 EDT
From:	sandstrom@ume.foa.se (Bjvrn Sandstrvm)

I listened to "Shootout.." for the first time in many, many years this
week-end. I preferred side 2, i.e. Evening Blue, Tragic Magic, and
Uninspired, of this old hexagonal album to side 1, Shootout and Roll right
stone. To be honest, I also realised why it has been in the shelf for so long. The
reason is not just that my copy lacks the CD format, it's not a great album.

Regards
   Bjoern Sandstroem

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3

Subj:	Post: Top 5, Traffic-y Bands, More...
Date:	95-08-08 12:30:47 EDT
From:	libert@ix.netcom.com (Nick Langston)

Hi Everyone,
    My top 5 Traffic tunes in no particular order:
1. (Sometimes I Feel So) Uninspired
2. Dream Gerard
3. Who Knows What Tomorrow May Bring (great Organ licks near the
	end)
4. Glad/Freedom Rider
5. Low Spark

    As for bands carrying on the Traffic vibe... I think there's quite
a few. In the US there's all these H.O.R.D.E. bands like Phish, Blues
Traveler, Aquarium Rescue Unit, Widespread Panic. I recentley got into
the Sons of Champlin, a San Francisco band from the late 60's that I
thought had a lot of the Traffic vibe. I feel safe calling them the
American Traffic. Not so much exploration in terms of lyrics though...
    Not to toot my own horn, but I tried hard to bring the Traffic vibe
to a band of my own- Soup. We played around the Bay Area a lot doing  our
own jammy jazz-rock. They're still at it but I recently left. Did a  fair share of
Winwood impersonations by trying to play Guitar and Organ most of the time.
We even had a house in the Santa Cruz mountains so we could "get it together
in the country"...
    Someone mentioned in an earlier digest that if Steve brought
*everyone* into the studio to cut an album it would come out more
Traffic-like (please excuse me if I got the wrong impression) and I
fully agree. I think if any one artist does most of the playing on an
album, it begins to sound like just that- one artist. I think what we
want (and maybe Steve would feel the same after giving it a shot) is
for Traffic to return as a *BAND*. And I think a more musically
adventurous spirit would help, too. I saw Traffic open for the Dead in
Las Vegas about two years ago and over the 3 days (gosh, I think it was
3... ;) ) they played very similar sets. We know that they could smoke
next to or opening for anyone, but I have to admit, it seemed
"Uninspired". They just need (actually, I think Steve needs to) cut
loose and really re-discover the art of exploration. It reminds me of
an interview I saw with him about 7 years ago in which he was talking
about having made the decision to be a "performer" and not an "artist".
That does sound strange, but it's comming from a person who had created more
art before he was 25 than most people do in their entire lives...

    "And it's a fact, you are cold
     They react, Dream Gerard..."

    Nick

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4

Subj:	POST: Bob Christgau on 70's Traffic albums
Date:	95-08-08 13:36:26 EDT
From:	brett@epix.net (Brett Freedman)

Thought you might enjoy these reviews from Robert Christgau's "Rock
Albums of The Seventies: A Critical Guide".  This is a fun book which
I highly recommend.

**** Warning:  Bob is not a Traffic/Steve Winwood fan ******

John Barleycorn Must Die (United Artists '70)

With Dave Mason gone there's not much electric guitar or songwriting,
leaving the chronically indecisive Stev(i)e Winwood to his feckless
improvised rock, or is it folksong-based jazz?  Not much bass no
matter what it is.  And Chris Wood blows a lot.     C+

Welcome To The Canteen (United Artist / Island '71)

Lax at times, but not bad for live jazziness - Stevie Winwood and
Dave Mason play as engagingly as Mike Ratledge and Elton Dean, say,
and in a genuine rock style.  Praise the masses that it's a lot more
aggressive than their studio work, with the double percussion of Jim
Gordon and Rebop Kwaku Baah driving pretty hard at times.  Even the
lackadaisical "Gimme Some Lovin': doesn't seem like a desecration.   B-

The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys (Island '71)

These guys waste their talent - they're devoid of intellectual
thrust, they've never figured out what to with their beloved jam
form, and more often than not their lyrics are designed only to fill
holes in the music or the meter.  Yet they're onto something here.
These modest improvisations have a lot more force and hook appeal
than the ones of John Barleycorn, they've figured out how to
incorporate horns without compromising their electricity, and
sometimes it even sounds as if Winwood knows why he's singing.  When it
works it suggests a nice paradox - relaxed and exciting at the
same time.  Original grade B plus.            B

Shoot Out at the Fantasy Factory (Island '73)

You'd think Muscle Shoals boys Roger Hawkins and David Hood would add a
little spark, but they settle for a little swamp.  Giveaway:
"(Sometimes I Feel So)  Uninspired. "      C

=======

Don't mind Christgau too much.  He's a New York City critic with
pretty well-defined tastes which don't seem to include Traffic . But
it seems like Bob  liked Low Spark in spite of himself (and wasn't really
sure why - a very nasty B+ review).  In 1980, when he compiled the book he
downgraded it from B+ to B.  I also think that's why he dumped on Shootout -
he was perturbed  at himself for almost liking Low Spark!

Any rebuttals to Mr. Christgau?
Next week - Christgau on Steve Winwood solo albums in the Eighties!

Brett

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5

Subj:	Dave Mason update
Date:	95-08-08 16:06:50 EDT
From:	Ohio Scott

  Here is something you may or may not be interested in.
  Dave Mason is now touring with Fleetwood Mac as a member of the band. I
saw them at Timberwolf Ampitheater at Kings Island in Cincinnati.  He sang
"We Just Disagree" and then, I nearly went nuts when in the middle of the
show he sang "Mr. Fantasy."  It was awesome. Then, in the car on the way
home I heard "Mr. Fantasy" again.
  What a rush!!!!
Ohio Scott

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6

Subj:	POST: Traffic sound
Date:	95-08-09 00:41:26 EDT
From:	stribble@husc.harvard.edu (Scott Tribble)

Reply to: brett@epix.net (Brett Freedman)

Brett,
    I hear Traffic a lot in the Dave Matthews Band. The group has a
funky guitar sounds with loads of flutes and saxes (sprinkle in their
violins and you sound like the Band a la Rag Mama Rag). You won't hear it  in
Best of What's Around or What Would You Say?, but Pay for What You Get
and Ants Marching have that Medicated Goo-style sound to them. They're
definitely worth checking out.

Scott Tribble

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7

Subj:	POST: What about Steve performing live?
Date:	95-08-09 04:02:44 EDT
From:	J.A.M.Buur@cb.hva.nl (Jochen Buur)

Hi there,
Foremost I'm a big fan of Steve's solo career although I also like
his pre-solo work. One question I carry with me a long time: is it
possible to see Steve performing live?
A great initiative, this DigWinwood@aol.com!

Thanks,
Jochen

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8

Subj:	POST:  GO on The Finer Things
Date:	95-08-09 10:38:32 EDT
From:	BobbieG101

  This may be really nitpicky, but is anyone as disappointed in the versions of
the 2 songs from 'Go' included in The Finer Things boxed set, as I am?
  I mean, if you don't own 'Go' they're both very nice.  But I think they did it
backwards.  They should have taken 'Winner/Loser' from the 'Go Live from
Paris' and 'Crossing the Line' from 'Go', instead of vice versa.  'Crossing the
Line' from 'Go' may be the finest vocal Steve's ever recorded, IMHO.
  Regards,

Subj:       POST:  Five favorite solo songs
Date:	95-08-09 10:38:39 EDT
From:	BobbieG101

  In no particular order, I guess:

Night Train - from Arc of a Diver

Valerie - from Chronicles more than the original in Talking Back (everyone
realizes they're  two different versions, right?  Percussion mixed higher in
Chonicles, vocals re-recorded)

Higher Love - from High Life.  I know this is totally cliched, but I have
personal associations to this song, okay?    :)

Holy Ground - from Far From Home; wait, this is officially Traffic.  I leave it in
anyway.  In the late spring of this year I had an opportunity to drive thru Estes
Park, CO, and on into Rocky Mountain Park, alone, in late afternoon and
evening;  and I listened to this over & over while looking at the still-snow-
capped peaks turning pink.  If you get a chance to repeat this experience, I
highly recommend it.

And #1 - In the Light of Day - from Refugees.

  Regards,

Subj:	sd.gif
Date:	95-08-10 03:17:20 EDT
From:	sandstrom@ume.foa.se (Bjvrn Sandstrvm)

  I'm throwing myself into the debate by suggesting that the person second from
left is Eddy Hardin, Stevie's replacement. In fact, I'm almost sure about this,
because he matches nicely with the person on the cover of an old post-Stevie-
SDG-single I have. Are you sure that it's Muff on the right? I couldn't find any
good pictures of Muff from this time. He's often hiding behind sunglasses.
  I know that Steve was the first to leave the SDG, but what about Muff? Did he
leave at exactly the same time or did he stay on for a couple of months?  If it
really is Muff than this has to be a rare promotion picture with the SDG that
was never to be. If it's not Muff, the person on the right is probably Phil
Sawyer, the Muff replacement. Let me have your thoughts on this.
Regards,
   Bjoern Sandstroem

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11

Subj:	Re: The Traffic sound
Date:	95-08-10 00:20:13 EDT
From:	MATTGREY

Another great issue of DigWinwood... and for  anyone looking for bands today
that carry on the Traffic sound look no further than the Dave Matthews Band.
Sara McClachlan out of Toronto similarly echoes a lot of Steve Winwood's solo
work especially Arc of a Diver.

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12

Subj:	POST: Hendrix/Traffic Jams
Date:	95-08-10 13:10:00 EDT
From:	RRopek

I thought it might be interesting to initiate some dialogue on some of the non-
commercially released Traffic material.   The Traffic/Hendrix studio session
has to be one of the most intriguing unreleased pieces.

 Alternately described as being from 1968 and 1970,  currently, about 70
minutes of material seems to be available.   A purely intrumental affair, the
lineup is : Hendrix - guitar, Winwood - piano, Wood - flute, Gretch - bass,
Capaldi - drums.

The music consists of seven "jams", that in contrast to Traffic's usual
melodic sensibilities,  range from minor key to almost atonal structure.  For the
most part, Winwood and Capaldi drive the rhythms, while Hendrix and Wood
solo.   The extraordinary aspect of this (to me  at least) is the complementary
aspects of the Hendrix/Wood interplay.  While Jimi builds upon driving vamps
that eventually erupt into (excuse the cliche) "molten" solos - Chris
counterbalances with his usual delicate, mellowing  flute.   The result of this
particular collaboration is at the least interesting, and sometimes magical.
Unlike other Hendrix jam sessions, Jimi seems to have a lot of respect for
Traffic and doesn't fully dominate the proceedings- which makes the session
perhaps unique to both entities.

Any additions/corrections are welcome, I would also like to see postings of
Traffic concert reviews, set lists, other unreleased sessions, etc.  - Dan

13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13*13

Subj:	sd.gif again
Date:	95-08-11 03:10:47 EDT
From:	sandstrom@ume.foa.se (Bjvrn Sandstrvm)

I managed to find a good front picture of the SDG yesterday, where Muff was
showing his eyes. This morning, yes it's morning here, I made a print of your
picture in b/w. I think this improved your picture a lot. The person on the right
doesn't resemble Muff Winwood. I am guessing he must either be Phil Sawyer,
like I suggested yesterday, or Ray Fenwick, who came in on guitar when
Sawyer left/got fired.

Finally, previously you wrote: 'A lot of compilation albums of UK bands of the
1960's have incorrect personnel pictures i.e. Animals without Alan Price,
Yardbirds without Clapton, etc.'

Clapton left the Yardbirds early (after recording For Your Love) and was
playing in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers at the time when Yardbirds scored their
string of hits. By the time the Yardbirds produced their last hits, Clapton had
already formed Cream. The same is more or less true for Alan Price and his
relation to the Animals. But he did play on 'House of the Rising Sun'. So if you
see pictures of Yardbirds without Clapton or Animals w/o Price, you can hardly
call them incorrect.

Bjoern Sandstroem

14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14*14

Subj:	Re: sd.gif again
Date:	95-08-11 07:47:30 EDT
From:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)

> Finally, previously you wrote: 'A lot of compilation albums of UK >bands of
the 1960's have incorrect personnel pictures i.e. Animals >without Alan Price,
Yardbirds without Clapton, etc.'

> Clapton left the Yardbirds early (after recording For Your Love) and >was
playing in John Mayall's Bluesbreakers at the time when >Yardbirds scored

Yes. I remember it well. By the way, I saw Eric Clapton when he used to  play
in the Roosters. Shows how old I am!

> their string of hits. By the time the Yardbirds produced their last hits,
> Clapton had already formed Cream. The same is more or less true for > Alan
Price and his relation to the Animals. But he did play on 'House > of the Rising
Sun'. So if you see pictures of Yardbirds without
> Clapton or Animals w/o Price, you can hardly call them incorrect.

That's not what I'm saying. I'll dig up some examples when I get back
from vacation in about 10 days.

15*15*15*15*15*15*15*15*15

Subj:	POST: Re: SDG CD picture
Date:	95-08-10 17:32:52 EDT
From:	vankirks@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Shannon Van Kirk)

Peter Scott wrote:
>I have a CD called "The Best of the Spencer Davis Group", released >by EMI
America (CDP-546598, undated). It contains all the early SDG
>stuff, featuring Steve Winwood on vocals i.e. Searchin'; I can't stand it,
>etc. However, the cover contains no picture of Steve.

Bobbie pointed out the Albert Hall picture is the original group; but the
cover is the group after Steve and Muff left.  The Steve replacement is
Eddie Hardin, another prodigy organ player; I forget who the replacement bass
player was.  I'll try to dig out the old clippings.  (If the clippings are old, what
does that make me?  Best not to dwell on it.)  Kind of lame of the record
company to put the wrong line-up of the group on the cover when none of their
stuff is on the CD.  It drove me crazy so I turned the sleeve inside out so the
Albert Hall picture is on the front.
Cheers!
--Shannon in Nashville

16*16*16*16*16*16*16*16*16

Subj:	ENTERTAINMENT: WWW Music Database has moved
Date:	95-08-10 19:54:42 EDT
From:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)

This has fairly good SW coverage....