DIGEST 1, VOLUME 3, sent Aug 8, 1995

There are 15 messages in this issue.

Topics in this issue:
  1.  Spencer Davis Group CD  - a duet
  2.  Top Five Traffic
  3.  Spencer Davis Group vinyl
  4.  New bands that carry on the Traffic sound
  5.  More SDG .gifs
  6.  Bad News for Those with a Lot of CDS????
  7.  Book chapter on the Spencer Davis Group
  8.  5 Favorite Traffic Songs
  9.  Winwood/Band fans
10.  Traffic, Sept. 12, 1967 and more
11.  Re: Far From Home
12.  Correction "They Call It an Accident"
13.  Sidework
14.  Off-Topic but Important!  Windows 95 (fwd)
15.  Poll (fwd)

Subj:	Spencer Davis Group CD
Date:	95-08-01 15:30:55 EDT
From:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)

I have a CD called "The Best of the Spencer Davis Group", released by EMI
America (CDP-546598, undated). It contains all the early SDG stuff, featuring
Steve Winwood on vocals i.e. Searchin'; I can't stand it, etc. However, the cover
contains no picture of Steve. Look for yourself at:
http://scott.usask.ca/gifs/sd.gif

To:          scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)
From:	BobbieG101@aol.com (Bobbie Gay)
  I also have the CD numbered CDP-546598 issued by EMI-America.  It does
have the date, 1987, in very faint letters below those numbers, and the picture
on the front is, left to right, Pete York, Steve, Spencer, and Muff, Steve's
brother.  I don't have a gif-viewer so I can't check out your file.  Can you
describe what IS on the front of your CD?

From:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)
To:         BobbieG101@aol.com (Bobbie Gay)
Well, Spencer, Pete York, Muff are on the cover....but that other person
ain't Steve! The other picture is correct, outside the Albert Hall.

To:          scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)
From:	BobbieG101@aol.com (Bobbie Gay)
  If that person, second from the left, isn't Steve, WHO IS IT?  I agree,
it's not a good portrait, but I do detect a likeness!  The eyes are right,
and the left hand is self-consciously hiding the scar on his left cheek.

From:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)
To:         BobbieG101@aol.com (Bobbie Gay)
I'll have to check into this further! A lot of compilation albums of UK
bands of the 1960's have incorrect personnel pictures i.e. Animals
without Alan Price, Yardbirds without Clapton, etc. This may be another!

From:	bobbieg@azstarnet.com (Bobbie Gay)
To:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca
  Using my other service, I can look at your gif file, and yes, that's
exactly the one I mean.  Don't you think that's Steve?

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2

Subj:	POST: Top Five Traffic
Date:	95-08-01 18:33:30 EDT
From:	Jamesinny

For what its worth, here's my top five Traffic tunes:
#5- Empty Pages
#4- Light Up or Leave Me Alone
#3- Glad
#2- Every Mother's Son
#1- The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3

Subj:	Spencer Davis Group vinyl
Date:	95-08-01 19:50:54 EDT
From:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)

Further to my earlier posting. I also have the following albums:

"Best of the Spencer Davis Group" Rhino Records RNLP117. Wonderful color
picture of the group. Steve is wearing a tweed jacket, while the other guys wear
suits.

"Best of the Spencer Davis Group" Island Stereo ILPS 9070

I will scan the pictures and put them up on my web server.

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4

Subj:	New bands that carry on the Traffic sound
Date:	95-08-02 14:45:15 EDT
From:	brett@epix.net (Brett Freedman)

Since there is a finite supply of Traffic music around and it doesn't
look very promising right now for any more,  I am always on the
lookout for new music which carries on the "Traffic sound".  Not
necessarily an exact copy - altho that would be fine with me - but
something that has that loose Traffic blues/rock/jazz/folk thing going
for it.  Its surprisingly difficult to find this sound anymore.

One new CD which I think is somewhat in this vein is Natalie Merchant's
recent release.  The single "Carnival" has a great feel to it and the rest of the
CD is also very good.   Can anyone else see a comparison here? ( or I am way
off-base).

And can anyone suggest any bands that are playing "Traffic-style" music today?

Brett
Visit Brett*Net at http://www.epix.net/~brett/

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5

Subj:	More SDG .gifs
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 13:09:22 -0600 (CST)
From: Peter Scott

More SDG .gifs:
http://scott.usask.ca/gifs/sd1.gif
http://scott.usask.ca/gifs/sd4.gif
http://scott.usask.ca/gifs/sd5.gif

From:	bobbieg@azstarnet.com (Bobbie Gay)
To:	scottp@moondog.usask.ca (Peter Scott)
>http://scott.usask.ca/gifs/sd5.gif
  Where did you get this picture?  I think it's the only one I haven't seen
before.

From:      Peter Scott
To:          Bobbie Gay
All from the Rhino "Best of...."

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6

Subj:	Bad News for Those with a Lot of CDS????
Date:	95-08-02 17:58:18 EDT
From:	bobbieg@azstarnet.com (Bobbie Gay)

  I found the following in alt.rock-n-roll.classic and thought the group would be
interested:

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 17:40:21 -0400
From: David Kleinman

Sometimes I feel like my head is spinning
Hunger and Pain is all I see
I don't Know who's Losing
And I don't Care who's Winning
Hardship and Troubles are following Me

To:	stribble@husc.harvard.edu (Scott Tribble)
From:      BobbieG101@aol.com  (Bobbie Gay)

Hey, Scott!
  Correct!  The song is '(Sometimes I Feel So) Uninspired' from the Shoot Out
at the Fantasy Factory album, altho at first I thought it sounded like
'Winner/Loser' from Go.
  I gotta get those lyrics entered.  Maybe I could just skip the song
'Shootout' since it's such a bear, and do all the rest.
  Regards,

END OF DIGWINWOOD, DIGEST 1, VOLUME 3