Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:06:37 -0400
Subject: Uninspired Sax & The Low Spark Of Reebop
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com

Some stray thoughts regarding the 1973 Traffic albums...

(1) A long time ago in an SP far away (actually it was SP 116-11) a listener heard the hard-to-hear flute on "Pearly Queen" for the first time, having had the TRAFFIC album for 30 years. Well, I recently noticed for the first time that there's a sax in the studio version of "Uninspired". It pops up briefly, and not very loudly, about 3 times near the beginning of the song, but then it's gone by the end of the first verse and doesn't show up again. Has anyone else heard this?

(2) Who is doing that spontaneous singing at the beginning of the ON THE ROAD version of "Low Spark"? Is that Reebop?

Mini-poll on ON THE ROAD:
What OTR track:
(a) improves on the studio version the most?
(b) suffers the most in comparison to the studio version?
(c) comes the closest to being neither better nor worse than the studio version?
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com

(1) ...that Jim's vocal on the "live" (ON THE ROAD) version of "Light Up And Leave Me Alone" sounds distinctly double-tracked? It doesn't sound like Steve's singing with Jim, and it doesn't sound like there's just an echo on Jim's voice -- it sounds like two Jims!

(2) ...that parts of a mostly-erased lead vocal can be heard in the second verse of "The Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys"? For example, right before the line "as sure as your sorrows are joys", you can hear Steve starting to sing "we were children once..." (i.e., the corresponding line from the 1st verse).

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10