Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:25:55 -0500
From: Bonderud/Parsons
Subject: Re: Blind Faith in LA (8/15/69)

Greetings......

I'm wondering if any SW enthusiasts have information about the Blind Faith performance in Los Angeles (actually Ingelwood, a suburb of LA) at the Forum Stadium on August 15, 1969. I'm particularly interest in definitive info on the play list at that gig, and whether there was any opening announcement warning door crashers to subsist or be subdued. If any of you have access to LA Free Press issues from August '69, I'd be extra pleased to correspond with you.

Any insights will be appreciated, I'm trying to bolster my theory that some of the bootleg recordings from California (Santa Barbara, Winterland, LA/Pauley Pavilion) are actually the LA/at the Forum performance. Some evidence points towards that conclusion, and we've discussed that a bit on the BF/WellAllRight digest recently. All SP readers are welcome to participate, just roam over to the BF Website's "News & Other Information" page, and subscribe to WellAllRight@eGroups.com:

http://www.angelfire.com/wi/blindfaith/bfnews.html

Keep the faith.......

Kenny Parsons
Madison, Wi USA

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: Airforce art
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:37:05 GMT

A few days ago I was checking out what Bobbie has been up to on SP. Was looking at the art in the Quick Discography and when I came across something that puzzled me and hope someone can answer my question.

Are there two different covers/art for the Airforce LP? The reason I ask is, because about 3-4 months ago I was going to bid on an Airforce LP on Ebay. From what I can remember the cover/art of this LP looked very= different from the one I saw on Ebay! I seem to remember (oh boy!) a plane...cartoon like plane?...could it have been a single from the album?...I'm sure it was a album...hope someone can clear this up.

Lani

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Thesonics352@cs.com
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:00:05 EDT
Subject: For Winwood Collectors/Airforce/Traffic Collectors

I have the following rare German LP on Amazon. Includes 3 Unreleased Airforce tunes. SW is credited on the back cover of being in the band at the time they were recorded. Thxs J

Title: GINGER BAKER AIRFORCE RARE GERMAN 2 LP SET 3 UNRELEASED SONGS! cream, drums, Auction ID: 0821F138414
See my auctions on Ebay/Amazon/Whatamibid put Bluenigel in sellers search. On
Yahoo put Rednigel in sellers search. Thxs Jay

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Sessions - Family
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 23:39:34 -0400

We discovered a couple years ago that Steve played on Family's first single, "Scene Through The Eye Of A Lens" / "Gypsy Woman". The single has never been reissued, and diehard collectors may have been frustrated by the very high prices for this record in the market. But now the wait is over! Oldies label See For Miles (UK) has reissued the group's first two albums on a double CD, Music In A Doll's House / Family Entertainment, and included both tracks from that first single. I've added this release to the Family entry in the Collaborations & Sessions area of the Smiling Phases site.

From: "Murray Dreyer"
Subject: Bonzo Dog (Do Dah) Band
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2000 21:14:40 +1200

In the July 2000 No 251 edition of the English mag Record Collector they review a compilation of the infamous Bonzo Dog (Do Dah) Band titled "New tricks" (Right, Cat Right010). The review states that it includes contributions from McCartney, Clapton and Steve Winwood.

As many of you would be aware the BD(DD)B featured one Vivian Stanshall whom our SW collaborated with over many years.

I presume that as this is a "Best of" that our man must have featured on some of their original Album releases back in the 60's or was it early 70's?

Anyway I have my copy on order.

I have also noted that on a recent Joe Cocker release "No Ordinary World" the Joe does a cover of SW's While you see a chance". I Checked out the CD and there is no mention of Winwood as a contributor.

cheers

Murray D

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "BobbieG"
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 10:12:30 -0700
Subject: Rickie Lee Jones

Lani has emailed to say that she found a newspaper ad for Rickie Lee Jones' new CD, due to be released Sept 12, which will contain a cover of "Low Spark"! Way cool! The album's title is "It's Like This".

Thanks, Lani!

From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Sessions - Bonzo Dog Band ?
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 17:42:01 -0400

Several people have alerted me to a new release for the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band called New Tricks. The CD is a compilation of previously released Bonzo tracks, all re-mastered. The thing that's particularly interesting for us is that the liner notes refer to contributions by Steve Winwood, among others like Eric Clapton and Paul McCartney.

Steve contributed to several solo recordings by Vivian Stanshall, who was a member of the Bonzos, but we're not aware of any contributions to Bonzo recordings. No specifics are provided beyond the vague liner note reference, so it appears to me to be simply inaccurate. However, since several people have asked about it, I've added the title with this information to the Rumored Sessions on the Collaborations & Sessions area of the Smiling Phases site. Check it out!

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:14:27 -0500
Subject: Hanson - our newest fans?
From: Steven R Seim

The following appeared in the Oct. 9 issue of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. It's from an interview with teen group Hanson, discussing the making of their new album.

"Taylor: We all listened to a lot of the same stuff growing up - Aretha Franklin, Billy Joel, the Rolling Stones, Cream, Traffic, but we've also gotten into a lot of contemporary artists in the last couple of years as well - Vertical Horizon, the Black Crowes, even a bit of Moby. Those newer influences may not be too detectable in the new album, but they were in our minds at the time we made the new record."

Steve Seim

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 08:06:37 -0400
Subject: Uninspired Sax & The Low Spark Of Reebop
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) ftg3plus4@cs.com

Some stray thoughts regarding the 1973 Traffic albums...

(1) A long time ago in an SP far away (actually it was SP 116-11) a listener heard the hard-to-hear flute on "Pearly Queen" for the first time, having had the TRAFFIC album for 30 years. Well, I recently noticed for the first time that there's a sax in the studio version of "Uninspired". It pops up briefly, and not very loudly, about 3 times near the beginning of the song, but then it's gone by the end of the first verse and doesn't show up again. Has anyone else heard this?

(2) Who is doing that spontaneous singing at the beginning of the ON THE ROAD version of "Low Spark"? Is that Reebop?

Mini-poll on ON THE ROAD:
What OTR track:
(a) improves on the studio version the most?
(b) suffers the most in comparison to the studio version?
My votes: (a) Uninspired, (b) Freedom Rider, (c) Tragic Magic.

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Sessions - Julie Covington
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:06:21 -0400

Reissue label has released Julie Covington's self-titled album from 1978 on CD! Steve played on three tracks, including a moving version of his own song "Let Me Make Something In Your Life". This beautiful set mixes straight pop and Julie's show style singing. The album has been long out of print and difficult to find, and this release marks its eagerly awaited CD debut.

The CD also includes both tracks from Julie's hit single "Only Women Bleed", released a year earlier. I checked out this single last year and found that Steve didn't play on it! See Smiling Phases Volume 164, from way back in September 1999...

The See For Miles site: http://www.seeformiles.co.uk

I've updated the Sessions pages on the Smiling Phases site for this release.

As always, please email me if you're aware of any session work Steve did that's not listed on the Sessions pages. Amazingly, after 3 years of pulling together knowledge and research, these projects are still turning up on a regular basis!

From: "Murray Dreyer"
Subject: New SDG CD
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 22:33:31 +1300

I'm probably a bit late with this Post, but I don't remember seeing any others on it as yet.

I have just received from the UK my copy of the new Spencer Davis Group CD titled "Mojo Rhythms & Midnight Blues, The Live Album, Vol. 1, Sessions 1965 - 1968".

Mostly if not all Live Radio Sessions, 23 tracks in all with 17 of them the Winwood Spencer Davis Group with the remainder the SDG Mk II.

No new songs and the only track I have heard before is "Oh Pretty Woman" that also is on the "Eight Gigs a Week" CD.

Excellent versions of all songs including the hits "Keep on Running", "When I Come Home", "I'm a Man" and "Gimme some Loving". Other Winwood tracks are from the first 3 Albums and some single B sides. Songs like "It Hurts Me So", "Watch your Step", "Together 'til the end of Time", "Mean Woman Blues" amongst others.

All quality versions with nice vocal and instrumental variations. The SDG Mk II tracks are also good value and excellent listening. A excellent buy for us older SW fans who were around in those good old days.

It's refreshing to hear how good the were under a live situation especially without any crowd noise that effects many 1960's live recordings.

Note that the first track is listed as "Midnight Special" but it is actually "Midnight Train".

Now I'm looking forward to Vol. 2 Live Shows 1965 -1968 that's due out in the UK in November, except I guess it may have crowd screaming on it!

Cheers
Murray D

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12