From: "Fischler, Sol (NBC)"
Subject: RE: Low Spark Sessions
Date sent: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 13:30:11 -0400

Just to throw one more monkey-wrench into the equation:

> Keys played on 2 Bonnie and Delany albums: "On Tour" and "Accept
> no Substitutes". All of the people credited on his solo album
> played on either of these 2-sessions as well. So I think these
> recordings were made during those sessions.
>
> I think it is safe to assume that Gordon and Mason and Capaldi
> did these sessions with Bobby Keys and others and it is unlikely
> that Winwood or Wood are involved.
Nothing is "safe" to assume -- as I may have stated here before, there are TWO Jim Gordons -- one is the drummer we all know, and the other is a horns player. As if only to further confuse things, they both played with many of the same artists, sometimes during the same sessions. They both played with Delaney and Bonnie, but my guess from checking the credits is that they didn't play on the same albums. There is one album (I can't remember which) that Jim Gordon is actually credited with playing the keyboards. Both Jims are accomplished keyboard players, so as of now I don't know which Jim they meant.

Rick also mentioned earlier that Keys' solo album was produced by Keys, Andy Johns, and Jim Gordon. Again, which one? "Jim Gordon" produced an album by a woman named Renee Armand in 1971 or 72 called "The Rain Book" on A&M Records. My assumption is that it was the drummer, because he had been dating Renee, it sounds like his drums on the only cut I've ever heard from the album, and I know that the other musicians on the album knew him. However, the horn player JG produced his own solo album also around that time, and if it was horns arrangement that Keys was looking for, it could easily have been JG#2.

> Bobby Keys was (is?) a session horn player and one time
> member of the Muscle Shoals Horns.

Definitely "IS" -- he's currently touring with the Rolling Stones.

By the way, if anyone has a copy of the album "The Rain Book", please let me know.

Thanks.
- Sol

[Someone once mentioned either here in SP or to me privately, I don't remember which, that even the two Jim Gordons had trouble with this. It happened more than once that a cheque for "Jim Gordon" would come in for a session that neither could remember playing, and so they would just split it. --BG]

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*
From: "Paul Frenette"
Subject: Re: web video
Date sent: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:42:10 -0600

Thanks to Dee/Dawn for the tip on the video! Cool! I have a cable modem and I got 294kbps and 20fps. The sound was awesome, crystal clear and the video was razor sharp, but choppy at times. I sure wish I could see many more of the older videos of SW this way. Thanks,

Paul Frenette

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Steve Milner"
Subject: Traffic music
Date sent: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 16:31:58 +0100

CD101.com lists the following (amongst others) Are they for real?

TRAFFIC - NEVER GET LONELY
Format: 12" single
Cat #: PAGAN037
UPC #: 5016556793766
Released: 26-Jun-00
Price: 4.26

TRAFFIC - LIVE EXIT
Format: CD album
Cat #: PHCR-18722
UPC #: 4988011334054
Released: Japanese Import
Price: 16.60

Kind regards, Steve Milner

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Timothy Arthur"
Subject: Rock & Roll Reader's Guide
Date sent: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:16:08 -0700

I found this while killing time at a Borders book store.

The book, "Rock & Roll Reader's Guide" by Gary Krebs. Have you heard of it? I had been looking through a table of discount books and came across it. Naturally I looked up Winwood;-)....this Krebs guy said that Steve was upset that his music has been used for tv commercials (which I thought he had to okay that) and that he was upset by the fact his brother Muff has retired from the music business?

Lani

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Session Work - Robert Palmer
Date sent: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 20:37:10 -0400

At long last, I've confirmed that Steve played on Robert's debut album Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley (1974). Thanks to Berkin Altinok for his long-term assistance with this one!

This is the third "Rumored Session" that we've resolved. It's now under Known Sessions on the Collaborations & Sessions area of the Smiling Phases site.

Best wishes to all,

Date sent: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 15:15:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Hagai El-Ad
Subject: "It Was Happiness" cover

Hi,
I'm looking for a recent cover version of "It Was Happiness"... I keep dancing to it and want to buy the cover, but can't seem to identify the singer/group performing this version. Can you help?

Many thanks,
Hagai

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date sent: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:32:03 -0500
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: eBay item

For sale on e-Bay: a mint CD copy of the 1972 "McDonald & Giles" album, on which SW plays keyboards. Bidding starts at $6.50, and the auction ends on Saturday, July 29. The auction can be viewed at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=386649333

Thanks!
Steve Seim

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Sessions - Harvey and Hendrix
Date sent: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 23:12:57 -0400

Many thanks to Murray Dreyer for passing on the Alex Harvey tidbit in SP 185. This 1965 single is now the earliest Steve Winwood session work that we know about! I've updated the Collaborations & Sessions pages for this one.

Dan Ropek and I have completed a much-delayed article about the many interactions between Traffic and Jimi Hendrix. This article is just a starting point, really, with a strong focus on the widely known recordings. The material is based on our posts in Smiling Phases and emails to each other. This idea for formatting it into an article originated in the Smiling Phases Compendium project. It's now posted on the Smiling Phases site under the History section. Check it out!

From: Pollypossm@aol.com
Date sent: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:38:43 EDT
Subject: Muff Winwood

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Muff Winwood might be planning to retire from the music biz. Did anyone else hear that, or am I imagining things?

Just curious,
Dawn

End of volume 187