Sent: Saturday, May 13, 2000 12:03 AM
Subject: Low Spark Sessions

Hi Rick,

I read your entry in the Smiling Phases newsletter about the Low Spark Sessions CD with great interest but I'm not sure what you're saying.

Are the 2 instrumentals with the Muscle Shoals horns on this CD from an earlier record?

Who's playing on them?

Is it not really some form of Traffic at all?

What book are you talking about?

Father Gino

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "r"
Subject: Re: Low Spark Sessions
Date sent: Sat, 13 May 2000 15:16:46 -0400

The answer is that the cuts come from the Bobby Keys album I mention. They are all on it except for the second tapes which I am sure you agree are similar to the first cuts! It is a solo album with no musician credits. I looked on the long out of print Hounsome book (Rock Record) which is a book which has almost every rock album ever made in the US and UK and lists the musicians who played on it. The interesting point I tried to make about the book is that the only musician listed on that album is Bobby Keys.

Meanwhile when you look at the Bobby Keys album the only names you find on it is composer credits.

So I looked in Terry's books for sessions that all the musicians credited on the Bobby keys album played on and found that:

Keys played on 2 Bonnie and Delany albums: "On Tour" and "Accept no Substitutes". All of the people credited on his solo album played on either of these 2-sessions as well. So I think these recordings were made during those sessions.

Since the songs on the Traffic boot are actually songs that appeared on a legitimately released album and I find it unlikely from the way that album is credited that the purpose was to adjunct a Traffic session, I think it is safe to assume that Gordon and Mason and Capaldi did these sessions with Bobby Keys and others and it is unlikely that Winwood or Wood are involved.

I am assuming that you know who Keys is.

rick hoffman

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: OffContact@aol.com
Date sent: Sat, 13 May 2000 23:21:21 EDT
Subject: Low Spark Sessions 2

Hi Rick,

No, I don't know who Bobby Keys is. I assume you've heard the Keys record in question. Have you heard the Low Spark Session CD? If so, are they indeed the same cuts?

The instrumental on the Low Spark Sessions CD without the horns sure sounds like Rick Grech and Jim Gordon to me. Any guesses as to what this cut might be from?

What do the Muscle Shoals Horns have to do with this? They're listed on the Sessions CD which lead me to believe that the rhythm section was Roger Hawkins & David Hood. Sounded like them too. Do you really think that Duck Dunn, Al Jackson & Isaac Hayes played on these 2 cuts?

Sounds like an interesting book. Too bad it's no longer in print and updated.

Father Gino

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
Date sent: Fri, 19 May 2000 16:03:24 -0500
Subject: Re: Low Spark Sessions 2
From: r

The point of it all is:

Usually people who issue "boots" know little about the bands. So typically pictures and or notes may be "wrong or cryptic" (intentionally) because the items on the boot may retain "some sort of ownership". This cd offers some material which clearly comes from the sessions which resulted in a long forgotten album.

rick

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: OffContact@aol.com
Date sent: Fri, 19 May 2000 17:29:49 EDT
Subject: Low Spark summary

I think I can summarize. Rick can correct me if I'm wrong. The 2 instrumental jams with the Muscle Shoals Horns on the Low Spark Session CD first appeared on a relatively obscure Bobby Keys solo album. Bobby Keys was (is?) a session horn player and one time member of the Muscle Shoals Horns. This solo record did not list personnel but the assumption is that the songs were recorded in various places by a bunch of people who were then connected to Delanie & Bonnie. The only Traffic connection may be that Capaldi & Dave Mason were among these hangers on. Winwood & Chris Wood may have had nothing to do with it. Roger Hawkins & David Hood (later Traffic members) may or may not have had anything to do with these sessions as they were also Muscle Shoals session men. Maybe Barry Beckett was there also for the same reason. I still think it sounds like these last 2 are playing on these 2 tunes but I'm not sure there is any hard evidence to back it up.

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "r"
Subject: Re: Low Spark summary
Date sent: Sat, 20 May 2000 11:37:40 -0400

And I concur fully

Again this information is based on the only information known about the album -composer credits

rick hoffman

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: koki9@bellatlantic.net
Subject: spy in the house
Date sent: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 17:45:52 -0400

You can watch the "Spy" video on Launch.com

http://www.launch.com/music/artistpage/1,4391,1029420,00.html

Where it says "On Demand videos", just click on "Watch it"

There were buffering problems even with a 56k modem, but for poor souls like myself who didn't get to see the video during its brief run on VH-1 (sniffle!), it's better than nothing...

Good luck!
Dee
(Formerly posting as "Dawn")

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: Terenceaw@aol.com
Date sent: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 12:56:36 EDT
Subject: Re: eBay

Lani wrote:

"He takes the money order and never sends the item! He even had the nerve to put the very same video back on Ebay! Of course I sent in a negative report on him to which he claimed it was a lie! I am not the only SP'er that this has happened to. I have bid on four other items from Ebay and those sellers were wonderful! You just have to watch out for the creeps! So check those sellers profiles before you bid on anything."

Yes, I would suggest being careful with ebay sellers. Remember, sending a money order is almost like sending CASH. Great for the seller, buy risky for the buyer. The seller usually waits till the check clears, but that makes sense on their part. If you send a personal check, at least you have a copy of his/her signature and where it was cashed. Still hard to chase them. Using Postal Money orders, would mean postal fraud on his/her part, but the postal service isn't gonna do much. Best suggestion would to encourage the use of credit cards. PAYPAL uses credit cards and there are no extra fees. But they do hold the funds for about 5 days. (they earn their money that way) Hope you advised ebay about this seller. (if that does anything?)

Terence

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: "BobbieG"
Date sent: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:33:07 -0700
Subject: Away from computer

I will be away from my computer from June 10 to June 26, so don't be surprised if you don't get replies to any email in that time. ;-)

If there would happen to be any announcement from Winwood during this time, I will of course be unable to pass it along! My suggestion is that you keep a close eye on the official site, http://www.stevewinwood.com/ and also subscribe to the eGroups mailing list. If anyone hears anything, they have promised to post it there. To subscribe, go to http://www.egroups.com/subscribe/SmilingPhases and follow the directions. You can set the mailing list to send you individual emails or a daily digest, or to send you nothing (in which case you would read the posts from the archive on the site).

In my absence, Dee (koki9@bellatlantic.net) will administer the group, so please contact her if you have questions.

See ya when we get back!
Bobbie

End of volume 186