From: "Tony Dennison"
Subject: Traffic
Date sent: Sun, 30 Apr 2000 03:29:24 PDT

Are there any significant differences in the mix of the mono & stereo versions of the their 2nd album "Traffic"? (as there are with "Mr Fantasy") I've got both versions of "Mr Fantasy" but only managed to get hold of the stereo one of "Traffic".

I was very pleased that the first 3 albums were recently reissued on CD BTW :-)

Tony Dennison.

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: "r"
Subject: Re: Traffic album remarks
Date sent: Sat, 6 May 2000 17:05:04 -0400

I'd like to add to Andreas excellent Review of this boot which I bought too last month.

"I found a new Traffic CD on E-bay and I thought I'd give you a little review for the newsletter and again try to barter for some live Traffic tapes. Still looking for a good live recording of Traffic, either the trio or the Low Spark Band or anything in between. Studio version of "Blind Man" too. Anyway.

"The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys Sessions" - OMS Reel Recordings, Mexico. This is billed as out takes from the Low Spark studio sessions, thought it seems to have other stuff as well. The sound quality is excellent except for the alternate mix "Rock & Roll Stew" extended version which is curiously distorted. 12 tracks pretty much suitable for die hard fans only:

7 & 8) Jam #2 & 3 w/Muscle Shoals Horns. Not sure who's playing what beyond the obvious. The rhythm section certainly seems to be the Alabamy boys and I'd bet on Winwood on guitar and maybe organ. Shoot Out meets a horn section. "

Well I acually know what these items are!!! They are perhaps the best cuts from to the best of my knowledge Bobby Keys only solo album! 1972 Bobby Keys (Same) Warner Brother UK K46141 Cuts are "Steal From a King" credited to Mason/Capaldi (Jim) Price and "Key West" Price/ (Leslie) West/ Pappalardi The album was recorded at Command/Island Olympic and in France It is produced by Jim Gordon Bobby Keys and Andy Johns. It is all horn driven instrumentals.

Even the obsessively anal Rock Record by Terry Hounsome (I love this book) lists but Mr. Keys on sax. This is not customary for this book. The key to this album can only come on the writer credits. Side one includes authoring by Mason, Gordon, Price, (Hoyt) Axton, (Duck) Dunn, (Al) Jackson, (Issac) Hayes and a great ballad by (Felix) Pappalardi. I am not familiar with these cuts to catagorize them as covers so it is my assumption that Mr. Keys made this album with these people.

Side 2 moves on to include Price, (Leslie) West, Papalardi and additional Mason, Gordon and Price numbers. Jim Price is a long time Keys collaborator who interestingly made a self named solo album as well which suffers from his doggedly choice to sing on similar self penned tunes. These are all powerful instrumentals which are similar to work Mr. Keys did with the Stones or better. Typically one (instrumental) song like any of these could reside on some album like say Dave Masons first solo and certainly add to the quality of the whole.

Generally other than "Alter Rock" the brillant Felix Papallardi ballad featuring piano on lead the bulk of this album features solos and dominant ensemble playing of Keys and Price with occasional short rhythmy blasts of guitar I feel comfortable in crediting to Dave Mason and Leslie West. It is my opinion that the "Traffic" Involvement on these cuts stems from the Bonnie and Delany on Tour and Accept no Substitutes Sessions where the named artists seem to converge -sort of. Sadly I find it unlikly that this album will ever find its way to cd. But at least we have 2- of it cuts.

rick hoffman

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Thesonics352@cs.com
Date sent: Sat, 6 May 2000 19:28:32 EDT
Subject: RARE DAVE MASON UK 12" EP ON EBAY

ttp://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=326326861

Title of item: DAVE MASON RARE 4 SONG UK 12" PS EP!

Thxs J

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: "Murray Dreyer"
Subject: Feelin Alright
Date sent: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:54:09 +1200

I was listening to my newly arrived copy of "Feeling Alright" - The very best of Traffic the other day and the following occurred to me.

When I saw SW in Sydney in 1991 during the "Refugees" tour of Australia he sang Dave Mason's "Feeling Alright".

Is or was this a normal occurrence in Concert or was I lucky to experience something unusual & special?

It probably is the former but I'd be interested to find out.

Cheers
Murray D

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: eBay
Date sent: Sat, 13 May 2000 07:32:41 PDT

It sure it quiet out of the Winwood camp isn't it! He didn't retire did he? I have saved money just in case he was on tour this year. Would even go to Atlanta to see him....or New Orleans. Those cities are not that far away.

I just listened to Flashback on the radio....last week since it was Bob Seger's birthday they did a tribute to him....well, they didn't do the same for Steve. I've got the email address...they will hear from me!

Just a warning for all of you who order things from Ebay, etc. I learned the hard way. After sending a creep $11 for a Winwood video and waiting weeks and never hearing from him...he never answered my emails. I finally checked the profiles on the creep and found out he had done this before. He takes the money order and never sends the item! He even had the nerve to put the very same video back on Ebay! Of course I sent in a negative report on him to which he claimed it was a lie! I am not the only SP'er that this has happened to. I have bid on four other items from Ebay and those sellers were wonderful! You just have to watch out for the creeps! So check those sellers profiles before you bid on anything.

Lani

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
Date sent: Sun, 14 May 2000 09:32:20 +1000
From: greg smith
Subject: Warren Zevon version of "Back In The High Life Again"

The latest Warren Zevon album "Life'll Kill Ya" includes a cover version of Steve's "Back In The High Life again".

If you weren't familiar with the Winwood version you would swear that the track was written by Zevon. The different voice and arrangement give it an originality even though the variation from the orginal is not that great.

By the way - if you are a fan of Zevon's 90's material you should like his new album. Very typical Zevon album, but doesn't break any new ground. Good solid album.

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: Winwoodie@aol.com
Date sent: Fri, 26 May 2000 03:28:24 EDT
Subject: SW RADIO STATION ON THE INTERNET

INTRODUCING THE FIRST INTERNET "RADIO STATION" FEATURING STEVE WINWOOD & FRIENDS. IT'S NOW PLAYING 24 HOURS A DAY, 7DAYS A WEEK.

If you have internet access with audio log on to: http://www.live365.com then tell them your modem speed (must be 33K or above) then do a search for Winwood. Then click on the speaker next to Steve's name and see what happens. This Steve Winwood Chronicles station is a labor of love of the music. It's also a work in progress so it will change from time to time. Hope you enjoy it.

Craig Loudon

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Murray Dreyer"
Subject: Alex Harvey Band
Date sent: Mon, 29 May 2000 22:12:54 +1200

For the collectors amongst us (I know Steve Smith will be interested) I read the following in the April 2000 edition of Mojo magazine.

In an article about the late Alex Harvey (The Sensational Alex Harvey Band) I read the following.

"Dissolving the Soul band in 1965, then recording The Blues album in Hamburg with Leslie, Harvey also found time that year to record an excellent version of Edwin Starr's "Agent Double - O Soul", the first of two solo singles for Island.............. Recorded at London's Marquee, the single featured Steve Winwood on piano and was produced by Island's Chris Blackwell. But Alex's solo career stalled, and while London swung in the summer of "66, he headed home again.

Anybody heard of this before?

cheers
Murray D

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: Katstrofik@aol.com
Date sent: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 14:37:32 EDT

I, too saw Steve sing Dave Mason's "Feelin'Alright" - It was on his Junction 7 tour at Konocti Harbor in Northern California. I was quite surprised, and of course, it was an excellent rendition. -Kat

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date sent: Mon, 05 Jun 2000 21:42:41 -0500
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: questions & comments

Just a few miscellaneous items:

1. Does anyone have any information about the history behind the "Winwood & Friends" album? The liner notes, of
course, are extremely unhelpful. "Dimples" almost sounds like a live SDG performance. And our hero is not even audible on "Got My Mojo Working."

2. Turning to more recent history: can anyone tell me why SW's videos have never been commercially released? I'm thinking primarily of his MTV/VH1 videos, not concert footage (although that would be great, too). Come to think of it, I don't remember ever seeing such a video compilation of ANY artist. Perhaps the music industry thinks demand would be limited after the songs are no longer on the charts - on the other hand, production costs would be minimal.

3. The music being used in commercials seems to be improving lately. One example: I just saw a Nissan Maxima commercial using the intro. of "I'm a Man." I wonder how many people actually recognize the music anymore - and whether the musical pieces that I don't recognize on other commercials are actually taken from classic songs. "Teenage Wasteland" (from the spot with the SUVs playing polo) is the only other current one that I recognize.

4. As long as I'm on the topic, did anyone else notice the vaguely Winwoodian sound of a certain coffee commercial a few months back - I think it was for Maxwell House? The singer shouts "heah," and then a very "Refugees"/"Far From Home"-style keyboard instrumental plays for the duration of the spot. But maybe it's just me.

Steve Seim

End of volume 185