Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2000 13:04:43 -0500
Subject: Hole In My Shoe (again)
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) - ftg3plus4@cs.com

Replying to S. Smith on "Hole In My Shoe"... << ... the US mono album omitted the re-fadeout (for lack of a better term) at the end of most stereo copies of the song. Interestingly, I found that the version on the Traffic compilation More Heavy Traffic (1975) also omits the re-fadeout, although it is definitely a stereo track. >>

Interesting. The same thing is true of the Dave Mason 2-LP compilation "Scrapbook" (which I wish I still had, if only for the alternate "Feelin' Alright")... as if that extra 10 seconds would have put undue strain on one of its 14-minute album sides!

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: Harlanfan@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:15:00 EST
Subject: Who else do we listen to?

This is in reply to Tony G. (JOHNTONYG@aol.com) from issue 180:

Great question! I think it's going to be interesting to see if there are any other musical common threads between members of the SP group, or whether Steve is able to bridge the gap between listeners of varying types of music.

Although I listen to a lot of different music, depending on the mood I'm in, my Favorites List would be:

1) Steve Winwood -- OK, I know you said to send a list of people other than SW but I can't in good conscience leave him off the top of the list. You know how it is.

2) Tower of Power -- simply the best soul band in existence, with the greatest horn section in history. Their music is infectiously upbeat and just plain FUN. Their live concerts are the best musical experiences I've ever had (Even SW has to work awfully hard to match these guys).

3) Paul Carrack -- his solo work in recent years has been top- notch, albeit unheralded, and his contributions to Mike + the Mechanics cannot be overestimated. My daughter gave me "Beautiful World" as a Christmas present in '98 and I'm still playing it every day. It's a somewhat lighter R&B sound than, say, Refugees of the Heart (which is my personal favorite SW effort), but that is what gives it staying power. You'll never get tired of listening to PC.

4) Eric Clapton -- OK, for the most part Pilgrim was a huge mistake in musical direction (can anyone say J7?), but it did produce one classic: "My Father's Eyes". And, also like J7, it was just a bump in a long road of great music. He's gone through different phases (although I don't think he was smiling :-) musically and has proven his ability to transcend genres.

5) Michael McDonald/The Doobie Brothers -- it's hard for me to separate Mike from the group. The Doobies had an effect on popular music that seems to have been forgotten. Their fusion of blues, jazz, folk, even country elements into hard-driving rock & roll gives them a quality sound that has rarely been equaled And Mike as a solo artist continues to grow and redefine what quality R&B should sound like. His may be the single best voice to ever grace a recording.

Others on my list of favorites, without the details comments that have already driven some to tears, would be: Albert King, Buddy Guy, B.B. King, Roomful of Blues, Kenny Loggins, and ZZ Top.

Do we win something if we match favorites?

Gary B.

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:36:15 -0700
From: "BobbieG."
Subject: Tee-shirts

I may be letting the cat out of the bag prematurely, but I have some good news. Our very own Dawn (koki9) is designing tee-shirts for SPers! If the rumors are correct and Steve releases a new album and tours this summer or fall, we could all get a new SP tee-shirt to wear to the concerts, so we can recognize each other. I =think= the shirts will sell for around $12 plus shipping, but that's not set in concrete yet. As soon as possible, I'll get the design and/or a photo of a prototype shirt onto the web-site so you can all see it.

Sorry for blowing your cover, Dawn. ;-)

Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 14:57:22 -0500
Subject: Rock Family Tree
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) - ftg3plus4@cs.com

A message I read in the SP Onelist archives led me to look at Bobbie's "Rock Family Tree". Very interesting! It answered one question I asked in SP earlier (concerning SDG). It looks like some of the Traffic line-ups need to be broken down a little further, though. The period labelled "Traffic #4" had 2 line-ups - with Dave Mason (i.e. CANTEEN) and without him (i.e. LOW SPARK). Same for "Traffic #6" - with Reebop & without him (he was in the band along with Rosko well into '74, wasn't he?). Possibly also the same for "Traffic #5", i.e. with and without Barry Beckett - or did he play gigs with them the whole time??

Speaking of rock family trees, here's a little trivia game... Did you know that each of the following bands (and several others, I'm sure) could be considered "related" to Traffic?:

Beatles
ELP
Fleetwood Mac
Genesis
King Crimson
Led Zeppelin
Moody Blues
Renaissance
Strawbs
Yardbirds
Yes

Here's a couple of the easier ones explained:
Fleetwood Mac => Dave Mason => Traffic
Yardbirds => Eric Clapton => Blind Faith => Steve Winwood => Traffic

I can explain the others later, but first I think I'd like to see if anyone else can figure them out! (Unsurprisingly, they tend to involve "supergroups".) Anyone have any others they can add? (This is probably a lot like "6 Degrees of Steve", which I don't see on the site anymore & which I never got a good look at.)

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 07:42:37 -0600
From: Steven Robert Seim
Subject: What else do we listen to?

In the last SP, Tony G asked about what other artists SPers listen to. I think it's a great question. It could help us understand where others are "coming from" musically, and potentially help explain our varied opinions on SW's music.

To keep it simple, here's my list of favorite artists (other than SW and his groups, of course), based solely on the number of albums in my collection: 1. Eric Clapton (and his various groups) 2. Fleetwood Mac (both Peter Green and Lindsey Buckingham eras) 3. Rolling Stones 4. Procol Harum 5. J.S. Bach 6. Bruce Hornsby 7. Vince Guaraldi ("Linus & Lucy") 8. Little Feat 9. Jimi Hendrix I've noticed a lot of similarities with SW and his music in this list (a lot of British artists, a lot of prominent keyboard players, a lot of blues/jazz/R&B influences, etc.). Even Bach fits, since I'm primarily interested in his works for the organ. I imagine my list has similarities with other SPers' favorites, but I'd be interested to know.

Steve Seim

P.S. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed, but Warren Zevon's new album contains a cover version of "Back in the High Life Again." That should be interesting!

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Flash Gordon"
Subject: Flute and sax transciptions?
Date sent: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:37:01 -0500

Hi there! I was wondering if you have any idea where I might find transcribed notes for some of Chris Wood's flute and sax solos in many of the great Traffic tunes? I am especially interested in finding out what he's doing on Freedom Rider. I think it is the greatest rock & roll flute solo in existence. (Pardon me Ian.) Any thing you could help me with I'd be very grateful. Flash Gordon

[Please reply to Flash privately, as he doesn't get a chance to look at SP very often. Thanks! -BG]

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
Date sent: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 16:33:28 -0500
From: Dave-o Thompson
Subject: gimme some leads?
Hello, I work in radio in the US. I've heard there is a mix (remix?) of "Gimme Good Lovin'" that runs about 25 seconds longer than the US single version. Possibly released on LP in the 70's, either a band compilation or "various artists" comp. Any idea which titles might contain that? Is it perhaps on a CD collection? Obviously I'm looking for the cleanest version possible. Thanx in advance, Dave-o Thompson Kool 99.3/Harrisburg PA

[Please reply to Dave-o privately as well. --BG]

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Dean Filip"
Subject: Winwood's gear
Date sent: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:48:30 -0700

I was wondering if you by chance know what Steve Winwood was using around the time of ON THE ROAD from a guitar/amp standpoint. I've been trying to emulate his tone on "Shoot Out..." as well as "Uninspired" in my recording studio and just can't quite get it. I know from pictures he was using a Fender Stratocaster and I hear a wah wah pedal as well but the amplifier is a mystery. I know its a long shot but I thought you might know. Thanks

Dean

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
From: Thesonics352@cs.com
Date sent: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 01:49:29 EST
Subject: Blind Faith rare deleted live LP

Mail me privately if interested.

Jay here Just found in storage:

Blind Faith: Live In Los Angeles August 26, 1969. Early 1970s Unauthorized Live LP. Mega Rare live recording of the ill fated supergroup. Sound quality is good. White cover with the classic BF photo from the Atco LP on the front cover with BF LILA in B&W letters. Back has all song info in black letters. Includes: Means To An End/Crossroads/Presence Of The Lord/Had To Cry Today/Can’t Find My Way Home/Well Alright. Unsealed/In plastic sleeve. In storage since the early ‘70s. Cover & Vinyl are BRAND NEW.

End Smiling Phases volume 181