Date sent: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 13:06:01 -0500
Subject: (1) Hole In My Shoe / (2) Winwood album opinions
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) - ftg3plus4@cs.com

(1) In reply to Paul Christie's question: "I just picked up my remaster of 'Mr Fantasy", and was reading SP Volume 175, where you detailed some of the differences between the stereo and mono versions on the remaster. My copy has only the mono version of 'Hole in My Shoe', as track no. 14. Have I missed something, or is your comparison based on other CD or LP releases which contain the stereo version of 'Hole in My Shoe'? If so, can you tell us what they are?"

I was comparing the mono 'Hole In My Shoe' to the stereo version on the 'Smiling Phases' compilation. The same track is also on 'Best Of Traffic'. Sorry about the confusion.

(2) Regarding Winwood album opinions: Wow, I had no idea just how much discussion that was going to start! I hoped I wouldn't sound too serious in my annoyance (which I tried to keep at a humorous level) at not getting any responses to several of my questions lately (not just the question about SW album opinions -- BTW, thanks S.S. for remembering my "Capaldi" question).

I'm sorry if I sounded critical of SW solo work in general. Of course it's true that I'm a Traffic fan before I'm an SW one, and I have to agree with Lani that "how you feel about the solo career albums depends on if you are a #1 Traffic fan or not." So I'm sure I'll always disagree with the majority where JUNCTION 7 and ARC OF A DIVER (esp. "Dust" & the title track) are concerned. Frankly, I'm so dang contrary to the masses when it comes to musical tastes that I'm surprised I'm in agreement with y'all as much as I am. I'm especially glad to hear how many of you like REFUGEES, in spite of what all the critics say.

(P.S. to Steve S. -- Sorry, but I think of FAR FROM HOME as a Traffic album rather than a solo one. Can't really explain why, though. You make a good point about SW's voice being best heard on his later solo works; I've often thought his voice was at a low point around '71-'73 and has really improved since.) (P.S. to Doug S. -- Thanks for the encouraging response. I needed that.) (P.S. to Anthony -- I think I said this in SP before, but I like "Running On" too.) (P.S. to Tony G. -- Increasing my fiber intake accordingly.)

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
Date sent: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 11:31:54 -0800 (PST)
From: Scott Tribble
Subject: Re: Top solo albums

Here's my two cents on the top solo albums. I think I should say from the beginning that I'm going to list what I think represents his best solo work, not necessarily his best albums. There's a difference for me, as I think that, for instance, Talking Back and Steve Winwood contain some of his best work, but, because of production flaws, they don't stand up as well today to BITHL or RWI as albums--still, I regard them quite highly for what they are or what they tried to be. That said, here's my ranking of what I consider Steve's best solo work.

1. STEVE WINWOOD - I really like the sound he develops here--it's an organic sound, but different in its own right from Traffic. A lot of credit goes to the rhythm section--they're very versatile--they can nail a weary sound in Vacant Chair and an upbeat disco-rock tone in Luck's In. I like the balance too bewteen piano and guitar--I think few SW guitar solos "sound" as cool as Vacant Chair's.

2. TALKING BACK TO THE NIGHT - Oh, how I wish this one sounded different. I really think these were Will's finest lyrics. You can tell Steve's invested in the songs--he's singing his heart out on them.

3. ARC OF A DIVER - Similar to above -- I think Night Train is one of Steve's best efforts, though there are some things I wish in retrospect he'd done differently, such as, as somebody mentioned, the dynamics of the drum beats. Take away Spanish Dancer and put in another song or two, and this one moves even higher for me.

4. BITHL - I like this album a lot -- I don't find it particularly inspired or challenging for Steve, but it succeeded in its goals in absolutely every way -- Steve was obviously looking to nail the current pop-rock technology sound of the mid-to-late 1980s, and he beat everybody else at it--Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, whoever--nobody did it better.

5. RWI - very similar to BITHL -- I like how the more organic RWI integrates with the BITHL-type tunes, but I don't find the songs quite as strong as BITHL (Shining Song has never done it for me, for instance)

6. J7 - This really had the potential to be a great album, but, for me, there are some real clunkers: Spy, Someone Like You, and Fill Me Up take away a lot from other very dynamic tracks like Gotta and Plenty

7. Refugees - This one never impressed me at all -- I like One and Only Man, Another Deal Goes Down, and In the Light of Day, but the rest just falls flat for me. Either they're uninspired (Every Day--that chorus is just too repetitive) or they're soulless (Running On and Come Out and Dance likewise don't do it for me)

I know my list probably inverts the typical ranking, but this is how I've always regarded Steve's various albums.

Keep on running, everybody.
Scott Tribble
webmaster, stevewinwood.com

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: "Hisao Chida"
Subject: Japanese CD Singles For Sale
Date sent: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 13:09:06 +0900

I have these two Japanese CD singles from Refugees. If anyone on the list is interested in them, I would like to sell them at $10 including shipping cost.

1. One and Only Man (VJCP-1412, 1990)
b/w Always (instrumental, 6:13), One and Only Man
(12" version, 5:01)

2. I Will Be Here (VJCP-14020, 1991)
b/w Don't You Know What The Night Can Do? (live, 7:32),
In The Light Of Day (instrumental, 6:03)

Hisao (Tokyo/Japan)

4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4*4
From: JOHNTONYG@aol.com
Date sent: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 07:25:52 EST
Subject: Vh1 top 100 songs

At least the Vh1 top 100 songs (if there is such a thing) included Spencer Davis group, Gimme some lovin. I believe it came in at 94 or 95. I was hoping Can't find my way home would be mentioned. I love the song and Steve's voice was mesmerizing.I am sorry I was so sarcastic about traffic Ted G but I can't stand criticism about Steve. He is just THE MAN. Have a good day! Tony G

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
From: DeniseTerry@cs.com
Date sent: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 12:11:08 EST
Subject: Japanese import

i have located a 1997 japanese import of mr fantasy, just wondered if it was the same as the uk import of the us version in 3-d base sound. any body have a catalog number of the japanese version if its the us running order thanks terry

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "lani arthur"
Subject: more thoughts & favorite story
Date sent: Fri, 07 Jan 2000 13:58:42 PST

Regarding Steven Seim's comment about classifying Far From Home as as solo project, I understand what he means. I had wanted to list it as one of those "helps me get through bill paying day". John Barleycorn was the first Traffic music I had bought...found the tape in a used tape bin at a record store years ago. So when my oldest daughter gave me a gift of Far From Home, my reaction was that it didn't sound like Traffic....but another solo album.

Liked that 'favorite story' JohnTony gave us about his experience driving home and the sun coming up and making the snow look pretty and While You See A Chance being on the radio. How encouraging! Thought I tell you one of mine:

In Oct of 1998 while driving up to visit my mother and sister in N Fl I had on Far From Home. North Fl doesn't look like what you picture Fl to be...with the palm trees etc. It is really the south....Live Oak trees with the Spanish Moss dripping from them and rolling hills. Since it was Oct the trees were the yellow's and red's of autumn. Driving over the hills on Interstate 10 seeing this beautiful sight with a herd of cows peacefully grazing in the distance and a breathtaking fall sunset was something to behold! And this whole scene had background music, Holy Ground. It was the perfect song for that setting. Know many of you don't care for that one. I like that 'celtic' sound to it, it must appeal to my Scotch/Irish roots.
Lani

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Paul Rosano"
Subject: 3D "Mr. Fantasy" and Boston Tea Party 1968
Date sent: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 14:08:22 -0800

The "Traffic" 3D B.A.S.E. release from Island comes from the U.K. It was actually released a while back, possibly 1994. Someone might have the exact date on that. The technique, which I've not seen elsewhere, is a digital sound process, something like Sonic Solutions, which was applied during remastering. All I can say is that the disc sounds quite good, preferable to the Island U.S. release of "Mr. Fantasy" sonically and of course in track selection also, which is idential to the U.S. vinyl release. "Paper Sun" is intact and not split up with "We're A Fade ..." and there are no snippets from "Mulberrry Bush" in between bands. Having it has made me slow to acquire the latest remastered disc because this one sounds so good.

As to a post a few newletters back regarding a Boston Tea Party gig: It appears we have at least two Phases list members who saw the same show, or possibly shows within a day of each other, in the spring of 1968 at the original Boston Tea Party, not the one across from Fenway Park. I was at the show, and I believe it was only the one night they played. The Tea Party was small compared with its later location. And it's quite true the crowd was only about 200, so it was easy to get close to the relatively small, crowded stage although I kept my distance, about 20 or 30 feet. It was just the trio, and I remember quite clearly they opened with an instrumental on which Winwood played guitar, a green Fender Mustang (or possibly that cross between a Jaguar and Mustang Fender made for a while). I didn't know the title when I heard it, but I recall identifying it when "Last Exit' came out as "Something's Got A Hold Of My Toe." Although they sounded a little empty being only three pieces, they were quite good. Chris Wood was dabbling on a variety of instruments to various effect -- bass, electric piano, organ and of course sax and flute. I actually recall quite a bit of the concert and particularly one glorious version of "Coloured Rain." They also were playing "Feelin' Good" (the Anthony Newley tune) at that point and many tracks from the "Mr. Fantasy" album, including "No Face, No Name, No Number" (breathtaking) and "Smiling Phases." No "Paper Sun" ( a pity). They closed with "Mr. Fantasy," which other than the opener and "No Face" was one of the only tunes Winwood played guitar on. It was quite a night in the little ballroom type atmosphere with a mirror ball above and '60s style lighting throughout (black lights for one). I wouldn't see Traffic again until the "When The Eagle Flies" tour in New Haven in I believe the summer of 1974. I'll always remember this one. A treasure.

Paul

8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8*8
From: "Lindsay Beckman"
Subject: VH1 Top 100
Date sent: Sat, 8 Jan 2000 09:47:17 -0600

Hey all you Winwood fans out there. I read in the Post today VH1's "Top 100 Greatest Rock and Rock Songs" List. Spencer Davis Group is listed at #94 with "Gimme Some Lovin'," so tune in your T.V.s to get some young Stevie footage! The program starts on January 17 and runs all through the week.

Lindsay

9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9*9
Date sent: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 01:02:23 -0600 (CST)
From: ANDREA DYCHE
Subject: LA Concert Feb 4

Just found this on the Kenny Loggins list -- it was posted 1.8.00

This morning while reading the L.A. Times, I saw a item, that Kenny will be appearing with Michael McDonald, who is reuniting for one night with the Doobie Brothers! The lineup is amazing, besides Kenny, Ray Charles, Steve Winwood, Patti LaBelle, James Ingram, Toto, Patty Austin and Christopher Cross will be there!! WOW, what a concert that will be!! So, the date is Friday, February 4th, at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles. For those who may be interested, I suggest calling Ticketmaster, as they didn't list a date that they were going to start selling tickets.

andrea

10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10*10
Date sent: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: New Dave & Steve on Amazon

I put a new unsealed out of print Dave Mason 2 Hearts CD on Amazon. SW plays on 4 tracks. Put BLUENIGEL in Sellers Search Thxs J

11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11*11
From: "Gabb, Anthony A"
Subject: RE: On the Road
Date sent: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:15:35 +1100

Paul Christie asked in SP 178 about "On the Road". I have had this on CD for a while now and it's OK as a live album but not brilliant. I don't know what anybody else thinks but I'm sure Steve was high on something when they recorded those gigs. Some of the piano work is very "airy fairy". The guitar work is pretty good in places though. The sound quality overall is reasonable. I actually bought this CD before Shootout at the Fantasy Factory or Low Spark and was disappointed with the tempo of Shootout and Light Up or Leave me Alone on the studio albums. They play the songs much more up tempo on the live album and to be honest I like it much better.

12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12*12
Date sent: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:34:07 -0800 (PST)
From: thesonics@earthlink.net (Jay Siekierski)
Subject: JACK BRUCE/MICK TAYLOR/GINGER BAKER/STEVE WINWOOD/PETER GREEN OOP CD's

all on Ebay
This is multiple message to CREAM/Mick & Traffic collectors.

Thxs J

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=236623978
Title of item: MICK TAYLOR/JACK BRUCE/PETER GREEN OOP CD!

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=236630431
Title of item: JACK BRUCE RARE OOP SONGS FOR A TAILOR CD NEW

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=236637028
Title of item: GINGER BAKER AIRFORCE OOP CD. steve winwood

End of Smiling Phases, volume 179