Date sent: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 20:35:26 +0000
From: Jan Henderson
Subject: Aston-Tirrold

Enjoyed browsing the Winwood website, and was particularly interested in the stuff about the famous cottage at Aston Tirrold. You may be interested in my tangential connections with Traffic at Aston Tirrold, which happened back in 1967 or possibly 68. At the time I was at school at an upmarket private boys boarding school called Bradfield College, about 10 miles or so away, between Reading and Newbury. In the spring/early summer of (I think) 1967 we were sent on a camping expedition (part of the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme) and spent the night in tents up on the Downs not far from Aston Tirrold. A bunch of us, all aged about 15 or 16 years old, headed for the nearest pub as soon as the master in charge had left us for the night - and we ended up in a pub in Aston Tirrold. Having successfully persuaded the landlord we were actually old enough to buy alcohol, we were sitting getting pissed when this amazing-looking bloke came in. He was wearing hippy-type gear, was incredibly thin, had long dark hair and looked interesting and dangerous. While he was ordering a considerable amount of booze to carry out, one of our group finally plucked up the courage to talk to him. He turned out not be to dangerous at all, but certainly interesting - he was Traffic roadie 'Count' Albert. After a brief chat, he left to go back to the cottage with his booze, but promised to pop up the hill to our campsite to talk to us later on. We eventually left the pub and staggered back to our campsite with some take-away booze and carried on drinking round the campfire we had made, not really expecting to see Albert again - after all, he must have had infinitely more exciting things to do than go out of his way to chat to a bunch of schoolkids. To our astonishment, at about 11pm we heard a van coming up the track to the campsite - and lo and behold, there was Albert in the infamous salmon pink Traffic van, complete with Traffic logo on the side and a fair bit of equipment bumping around in the back. He'd also brought his alsatian dog, Mr Fantasy, with him. Albert then sat down round the fire with us and downed a couple of tinnies while we plied him with questions about Traffic - and especially Winwood. To be honest, I can't remember much of the conversation, except that he was surprised when we knew that Steve was the 'Steve Anglo' on the Elektra What's Shakin' sampler album. After talking for what seemed hours and hours, he then gave three or four of us a ride in the Traffic van - I can still remember dawn breaking as we were bumping up and down the farm tracks round the Downs in the back of the van, fending off Traffic's gear which was sliding around all over the place. Needless to say it was all pretty mind-blowing for a bunch of teenagers usually cooped up in a strict boarding school and just desperate to get some kind of a handle on the Summer of Love - and while I was a Traffic fan before this incident, I became a total Winwood/Traffic die-hard thereafter! On a few occasions over the following summer I seem to remember cycling from school on a Sunday afternoon to Aston Tirrold in the hope of catching a glimpse of any of the band - on one occasion I remember Jim Capaldi barrelling past us down one of the Downs farm tracks in a dusty old Land-Rover. I never plucked up the courage to actually go and knock on the door of the cottage - just gazed on it from afar. I believe another boy at Bradfield whom I knew slightly - Jeremy Allom - actually lived not far from the cottage. His mum, so the story went at school, used to worry about the nice young men living in the cottage not eating enough - so used to take them cakes and pies to feed them up. Don't know whether that is true or not - but he certainly had a demo copy of the Traffic/Traffic album some time before it appeared in the shops, so maybe it's not apocryphal. Hope this ramble may be of some interest - feel free to do what you will with it!

Regards, Jan (now 47 and still a die-hard Winwood fan, living in Milton Keynes, England)

2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2*2
From: Brooz@aol.com
Date sent: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 14:41:47 EST
Subject: Cover confirmations

Excellent website!! I have been visiting quite a bit recently. I can confirm some cover tunes by the Grateful Dead. This is probably more info than you want, but use any of it that helps. Much of this info comes from DeadBase X by John Scott, Mike Dolgushkin, and Stu Nixon, which is considered to be an authoritative source.

Keyboardist Brent Mydland was a Winwood fan and was influenced by his keyboard style. He was responsible for the Dead covering 2 Winwood-related tunes. They played "Gimme Some Lovin'" 87 times between 11-02-84 and 09-15-90. The 07-17-89 Alpine Valley version was released on the "Downhill >From Here" video in 1997. All but the final performance of this song were sung by Mydland. His last was at the World Music Theatre on 07-22-90. The Dead's final performance of this tune on 09-15-90 was during Bruce Hornsby's first performance with them as a band member.

They performed "Dear Mr. Fantasy" 58 times between 06-14-84 and 07-21-90, again sung by Mydland. The final performance was at the World Music Theatre 07-21-90. BTW, I saw all 3 World Music Theatre shows--the end of an era and the end of these covers, with the exception of that last "Gimme."

They performed "I'm a Man" once at Great Western Forum, Inglewood, CA on 12-10-89 with Spencer Davis guesting. Davis also sang "CC Rider" as "Easy Rider" with other lyrics added by him. Davis also guested with the Dead at that same venue on 02-12-89 on "How Long Blues" and "Gimme." He guested at the Spectrum on 09-22-87 on another "Gimme."

Traffic opened for the Dead twice in 1970 and 7 times in 1994. At the Anderson Theater on 11-23-70 (not one of the 2 shows Traffic opened for), Winwood, Capaldi & Wood guested on the Dead's performance of "Not Fade Away>Going Down the Road Feeling Bad>Not Fade Away." On the last two 1994 openings at Giants Stadium, Garcia played on Traffic's set closers: "Mr. Fantasy" on 08-03-94 and "Mr. F" & "Gimme" on 08-04-94.

Hope this helps,
Bruce Wilson

3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3*3
From: Stephen Smith
Subject: Winwood / Wynnewood
Date sent: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:02:25 -0500

From my post in last issue, it occurred to me later that Winwood, Pennsylvania, is probably the same as Wynnewood, which I have heard of but it didn't click at first. A couple people have emailed about the same thing! Somehow, it's even more cool...

Date sent: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:29:14 -0500
Subject: Scrapbook
From: Trafficologist (Ted G.) - ftg3plus4@cs.com

Can anyone tell me what tracks were on the Dave Mason compilation "Scrapbook"? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

BTW, I think the alternate "Feelin' Alright" on that album would have made a great bonus track for Traffic (II) - Remastered. Oh well...

5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5*5
Date sent: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 17:05:39 -0600 (CST)
From: Sarah Kathleen Matzke
Subject: Re: Winwood, PA

Hi Bobbie, I am a recipient of Smiling Phases for about a year and a half now, and I wanted to give a little input on the Winwood, PA discussion. It is suburb of Philadelphia, but it is spelled "Wynnewood" not "Winwood". I actually grew up in that area, and my mother still lives there. Being a huge fan of Steve's I always found that very interesting when I was younger. Now I got to college merely minutes away from where his wife, Eugenia, was born and raised, in Tennessee (I found that out through a friend of mine's relative who knew Eugenia in her younger days). Pretty wild. Thanks for your time and keep up the good work!
Sincerely,
Sarah Kathleen

6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6*6
From: "Gregory, Tony, 225CCS, LGM"
Subject: Cheapest re-masters
Date sent: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:54:38 -0600

CD universe has the remastered Traffic cd's and they are two dollars cheaper than cdv EUROPE, just thought your readers would like to know. They have a pretty good selection and I have been pleased with the service. This is where I got Steve's 20 Century cd. thanks, Tony

7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7*7
From: "Gregory, Tony, 225CCS, LGM"
Subject: Photos of Steve
Date sent: Sun, 5 Dec 1999 07:06:25 -0600

I was searching for something to watch Tuesday night and there was absolutely nothing on. I went and found my wifes scented candle and plugged in my discman with Steve's Talking Back to the Night. What a great way to spend the evening. I appreciate your work on the site and I am glad to know I am not the only Steve Winwood addict in the world. We need more pictures, start a nationwide search!

Tony

End of Smiling Phases, volume 174